Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Flash drives will never be obsolete, you can't boot from Dropbox.

Quoting this for posterity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Toiletron 9000 posted:

Dial Up Internet

Can't get more irritatingly obsolete than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLkGoSHQXM

tldr of the lovely cell phone video: I dialup at 33.6k and attempt to load this very page. It takes too long to connect from a bookmark and I have to refresh. After 5 minutes of trying to load, the SA servers just say "gently caress You!" and quit and leave the page half loaded.

Post the very best in obsolete and failed technology [56k No Way!]

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

No one ever remembers Scour.

I remember.

Also, my first iPod. Nobody in high school had any idea what it was.

I miss the touch/clickwheel.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

I got this for Xmas about the same time, along with a Radioshack 150 in 1 electronic project kit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_%28game%29
http://i.imgur.com/lPa6tJU.jpg

Wow, I found one of these at my grandparent's house when I was a kid and had no idea what it was. Now I do.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

For the past fifteen years I've been told the PC is dead every year, all of the year. Oh hey - it's my favourite obsolete and failed technology, it just still happens to be dominant but that's just a minor detail.

PCs are dead, they just don't know it yet

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Meh, those are scrubs. I was using trackballs in the 80's on my PCjr.

Speaking of failed technology:

I've had this thing for 6 or 7 years, it's currently glowing bluely on my desk. I've never found a use for it. I've only seen one in the wild and that's for kids to sign in for appointments at my daughter's orthodontist.

So cool, so pointless. I guess it's not a total failure since you can still buy them, but I have no idea what they're being used for.

What... is it?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vykuza posted:

I won one of these in a competition I didn't remember entering:

The Panasonic Q!

It was a Gamecube/DVD player combo, and annoying to use. You needed to use the horrible remote to change to the games function from the default DVD option (which is the only think I used it for, considering when it was released, nearly everyone already had a DVD player), it used to overheat, and had some lovely firmware installed to allow it to play non Japanese region games that would bug out regularly.

I sold it (for a lot of money!) and bought a regular Gamecube.

The coolest thing was it was mirror chromed! Sweet.

I always wondered if this was as cool as it sounded. Guess not.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

You can't post that thing with out posting it's controller

My god.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm pretty sure they've still published editions of this in the last five years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wow, I had no idea that obsolete tech like manual transmissions were still in heavy use around the world. Love this thread.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

moller posted:

I feel like the most impressively weird part is that instead of simply swinging shut on a hinge, the cassette deck swivels into a diagonal position like any other cassette deck after sliding out like a drawer to present the space for two tapes. It's totally gross over-engineering for no benefit I can fathom other than looking cool. I wonder if it's manual or if it has a drive like a cd tray.

Actually, I think the most impressive part is how they were able to get the CDs and tapes to automatically load themselves into the player. I'd pay top dollar for that feature, even now!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's OK but any good CRT that has an S-video hookup (Sony PVM or similar) will also have hookups for RGB over component and that will make your poo poo look waaaaay better.

When did RGB even become a thing? I remember having several large, decent-for-the time TVs (late 90s) that had S-Video but no component.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don't they make FireWire/Thunderbolt adapter dongle things? Are they crap or what?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I worked at a library when I was in high school. One of the more memorable lunatics was the guy that would hang around the paperback racks and every so often very loudly say "sssssSSSSUCK MY COCK!"

Well, don't leave us hanging...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Do people still use ram disks?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I have 16GB of RAM, with up to 10GB of it allocated as scratch space if needed. It's pretty cool for working on stuff with lots of tiny write actions, and it saves wear on my SSD.

Linux makes it very easy with tmpfs.

I also have my browser profile and cache directories in RAM, for those same reasons.

That's pretty cool.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone else use the old N64 emulator that used Glide? UltraHLE?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Humphreys posted:

For a university film project many moons ago we got the idea of emulating the Matrix bullet time pan effect. This involved 50 cheap disposable cameras I scored for free rigged with little motors to trigger at the same time with a video camera at either end rolling normally. What this got me was 2 seconds to do the stupid poo poo I wanted and I got 24(?) takes at it.

Getting the photos developed cost my weekly ramen budget but worked well enough for a low tech kludge. It looked horrible compared to the hi8 footage and my primitive editing/colour grading skills at the time didn't help things. We also used some old forensics software called 'Photomodeler' to get basic 3D models of the actor so I could import them into Alias Wavefront Maya (boo Autodesk!) for further lovely editing.

I have the raw footage somewhere on an ancient SCSI RAID tower that I do not have the will to try and get running again. Some day in the future I'll get it running and upload it for equal parts laughter and shame.

Aw, that's adorable

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

moller posted:

The obsolete/failed technology of flip-phones and candy-bar phones often had batteries that lasted a week or two.

Of course all they did was make phone calls, so in retrospect dumb phones were roughly as useful to the average person as keeping a flashlight in your pocket or a change of clothes in your car.

This post is bait for people to come out and brag about their flip phones.

Speaking to PYF in general: Are you going to take it?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Our family had an intercom system in our house for when my dad was out drinking and working on his car in the garage and my mom wanted to yell at him to stop

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I used one of those fortune machines once when I was a kid and I was transformed into a middle aged, portly guy with a beard who wrote the software for them. I had to scour the boardwalks for another machine to reverse the wish, but I never found one and Im still old

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjv7PZTxiz0

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

I have heard that the terms libraries have to deal with for digital audio books are really stupid. Like they can only lend them out a certain number of times before buying it again, to simulate wear. Like maybe 30 times or something dumb like that?

I think some libraries require a "check out" of a digital item and when the item is "checked out", it becomes unavailable to anyone else until it's checked in.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, I get the license thing, but it still seems archaic to limit digital items to one or two copies. There has to be a better way.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WebDog posted:

It stood for internet, which made sense as the iMac was geared towards online connectivity, but later slid to mean "individual" when it expanded to their other lineups.

Sort of. It didn't change definitions, really, Jobs just showed like five "i" words when he introduced the iMac and internet and individual were both on there.

But you're right though, no one except Apple can really get away with it anymore without it sounding cheap and obsolete.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

robodex posted:

I remember the last time I went to the states I was excited near the end since my wallet was bursting with cash; turns out I had like $30 in dollar bills.

In the US, it's traditional to go to the strip club in situations like these

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't scare the natives. They're not ready for that level of civilisation yet.

We're skipping over it for stuff like ApplePay and whatever Google does. No point in bothering with chip and pin now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I love each and everyone of these videos where a colorblind person gets to finally see colors, or a deaf person gets to hear, or the one where they put glasses on a baby and she lights up like a goddamn beacon at seeing her parents' faces.

Like "gently caress yeah, technology!".

call me a huge baby but I cannot watch videos like these without tearing up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Everblight posted:

Wrong. Dreamcast was killed off by the widespread availability at the time of CDRs and CD Burners, and the fact that they did absolutely no piracy control whatsoever, so you could just burn a game onto a 40c disk and play immediately.

Piracy is generally just a response to an inefficient or overpriced market, but hooollleeee poo poo did Dreamcast screw the pooch on not making it at least marginally difficult.

No. It was the PS2 and its DVD player that killed the Dreamcast.Their poor third party relationships after the disastrous Sega CD/32X/Saturn failures didn't help. The Dreamcast eventually became really easy to pirate things on, but it wasn't initially as trivial to do as you described.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Slanderer posted:

One of the more interesting things to result from Dreamcast's poor security was Bleemcast. This software was an emulator bootdisc for commercial PS1 games that was ported over from the PC version. The bleemcast disc would exploit the security hole when booted, and would then launch an emulator from RAM, which would allow you to swap in a PS1 disc. It was originally going to be a universal PS1 emulator, but because of compatibility issues they only ended up selling 3 different bootdiscs for Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3, and Metal Gear Solid. Even with the emulation layer, the DC was able to run these games much better than an actual PS1, so they were rendered at a higher resolution with additional post processing. The DC controller didn't map 1:1 with the PS1 controller, which was an issue, but otherwise these discs apparently worked somehow. The PC version of Bleem was a full emulator, but many (or most?) games were unplayably buggy without dedicated compatibility fixes.

However, before they could release more bootdiscs (or a universal emulator), Sony sued them and drove them to bankruptcy with legal fees.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Slanderer posted:

An unreleased emulation of an unreleased fighting game? Nice!

I remember seeing a few Bleemcast mods floating around. One was for Chocobo Racing for the PS1 (of course)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

robodex posted:

My favorite part about the evolution of television tech is that short period when they figured out how to get projection TVs thinner but LCDs weren't really a big thing yet. I got a used 36in projection TV through work for cheap and you'd expect it to be as light as an LCD but it's about as heavy as a CRT, it's glorious.

Also it's a really lovely TV but I only paid like $50 for it, so

You got ripped off.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Why not just buy a used Wii, though? They play Gamecube games in "progressive scan" just fine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Can you still use the Dreamcast web browser? My friend managed to set his connection up somehow in the early 2000s and I remember it being horrifically bad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's not 2010 anymore and as the article pointed out: iTunes and Spotify are two of the big players who adopted the new system. I'm not going to say that is 99% of your audience, but it covers a drat good chunk of listeners for most types of music. And that was the point. Something tangible actually changed in real life and it's a start.

I've spent like five minutes trying to figure out what this post is saying, what "the article" is and how the post is saying anything different than the post you quoted. Also what is the"new system"?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

this was on the imgur front page

imgur has a front page?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Used to rock this bad boy for a little while mid last decade:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

You don't have to spend half an hour hearing about how your buddy set up his stereo speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I was sad to see netbooks fall so fast. They were inexpensive, relatively portable, had an amazingly quick startup time, and had insane battery life.

And they were all poo poo.