Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Getting money from one person to another in this day and age should not be that hard. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to just type in routing and account numbers from my online banking page and have it be in their account the next business day.

Walmart offers a cheap money transfer service. You go in to their money department, pay them the money , give them the name and location of the person and you get a code to give to the receiver and they can pick it up at any walmart location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Alhazred posted:

Leo McGarry: We spent millions of dollars developing a pen for the astronauts that would work in zero gravity. Know what the Russians did?
Toby Ziegler: Used a pencil?
Leo McGarry: They used a pencil.

At which point, the graphite in the pencil would flake off, float around, and short out something important, as graphite IS conductive.
So, sure the Russians did it "better" if you don't really give a poo poo about the lives or safety of your crew.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

VogeGandire posted:

As bullshit as it is, are you implying the Soviet Union DID give a poo poo about the lives or safety of their crew?

Of course not.

As facetious as I am sure Alhazred was being, I've heard that argument multiple times as a "lol scientists" example, as well as " Why didn't they just use a pencil?".
Phanatic, thank you for that snopes article. It was an interesting read.

Also, that Microsoft Sidewinder controller was the best drat controller for playing old emulators. I had the old GamePort version(something for this thread in itself) and then later a USB version. Wonderful for anything 2d.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

I saw an example of something posted in this thread waay back. I was out at a flea market and saw a stack of something in the corner. Seemed like I had seen them before. Found me a stack of Video-discs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videodisc Essentially movies on vinyl, read with a needle in a plastic shell. Neat to find,never seen any in the wild before but essentially worthless. Even Star wars is only like 10 bucks on Ebay, and these were like 9 to 5, Gladiator, Heaven can wait, and some other forgettable 70's movies.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

I saw this Akai tape deck on craigslist, and thought of this thread. http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/ele/3853946951.html
It certainly looks fancy enough.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

SyHopeful posted:

My dad has that exact model still. I've been trying to talk him out of it.

He still has reels of Alan Watts lectures that he would record off of LA radio back in the 70s.

If you want to buy it, I'll see about shipping it to you.

Hah, probably take a freight truck.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Phanatic posted:

Ah, Napster.

My school had a wholly inadequate internet connection, it was a single T1 line for something like 2000 students, so that's 1.5Mbps

Pfft, I'm on a 1.5Mbps line right now IYOL 2013. I live in a city of about 80K,and I get 1.5Mbps. My friend lives in a town about an hour away of about 300 people, and brings down TERABYTES of data across netflix every month. Life is cruel. However, he does have latency issues in MMOs, and mine is usually rock solid, so eh toss up.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

mystes posted:

1.5Mbps for the entire school of 2000 people.

Oh, whoops. I read that as more of "1.5Mbps for each person". Still, 1.5Mbps in this day and age is pretty obsolete. ...or it should be.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Axeman Jim posted:

[b]Crap British Planes
Let's be clear about what happened here. Lord Brabazon spent a colossal amount of taxpayer's money, in a country that needed every last penny to rebuild its shattered infrastructure, on a plane to carry him and his fat aristocrat mates across the Atlantic in more luxury and comfort than most people in Britain had in their own homes - and hundreds of thousands didn't have a home at all. And he named it after himself.

WHAT a oval office.

You know, there are dozens, or more, of stories of Idiot X using taxpayer money to fund poo poo like this, that fails and is a huge waste, and then...nothing? There is no consequences to these people.
Government money shouldn't be an umbrella for idiots to hide under. They should have seized Brabazon and his cronies assets to repay that waste. Same thing today when some contractor lowbids and ends up loving up a huge project, even more so if was something the public would use. Of course, there is also the problem of just taking the lowest bid to begin with!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Speaking of Laser dics, I picked this up for 15 dollars yesterday: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-L...=item4859591a84
Panasonic LX-600. He even had the remote. It was some old guy getting rid of all the expensive entertainment stuff he had from the 90s. Pretty pristine.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Came across this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibm-10SR-Ha...=item35cf4198b1
An ancient IBM mainframe hard drive. That lid lifts up on a hinge, and the platters are RIGHT THERE. They aren't sealed at all.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Shugojin posted:

Sometimes this isn't an option, though.

fuckin air conditioner in summer, fuckin lack of central air conditioning, fuckin bright rear end temperature display

I don't know if it is true today, as it was 5, to 10 years ago, but I recall someone doing the math over at [H]ardforums and that is costs MORE to turn a PC/monitor on from a dead state, than it does to wake one up from hibernation. Plus, (again at the time) it was like 12 dollars a year in electrical costs to keep them all on standby. Hardly planet raping.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

WebDog posted:

It utterly stunk as it was small, cramped and bitterly confusing as many DVD players tend to get slack on their front panel designs as they assume everyone is using a remote.
PowerDVD skins weren't much better as they tried to tuck away extra commands with slide out drawers.

Oh and Microsoft BOB actually appears on the XP install CD, as garbage data in order to pad out the space.

I must be going crazy. I loving swear to god, that I've seen you post this exact bit before.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

MS Comic chat was the best thing ever, and if you say otherwise, I will fight you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

p-hop posted:

Oh man. I've always loved late 60s/early 70s designs on anything from cookware to fashion to interior decoration. Those cars are right up my alley. I can just imagine the kind of person who would buy and proudly own that car when it was new...

They probably owned one of those one piece suits, and a watch that said " Time to gently caress"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Loving all this car elitism itt. I bet Automative insanity would love a spritely thread on automatic versus manual.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Tangibly related, but I never could finish Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and that poo poo haunts me to this day. I think I screwed up some steps and got stuck literally probably 5 minutes from the end.

If you didn't grab the mail out of your mailbox, at your house on Earth, you couldn't finish the game.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Tab number 9": "How to Identify a Female"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Der Kyhe posted:

"Most" as in "in United States"? Many places in Europe still drive with 5-10 year old second-hand cars, mostly budget models, and in Asia and other places stuff is even more barebones.

New cars? Absolutely. Cars that make most of the driving fleet? Not so much.

Hardly even in the US. But it is kind of hard to say one thing for the whole US, since it covers so many regions, and so many soci-ecnomical levels.
If you lived in a rich area, where people consistently bought new cars, then sure. I haven't owned a vehicle newer than 10 years old. I still have an Mp3-cd capable radio I bought, god 10years ago thaI use. I've been looking to replace it with one that has a USB or just an internal SSD. The only person I know who has purchased a NEW vehicle, is my aunt. She drives a lot for work, so kind of needed. She put over 300K miles on a Santa fe!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The cells in solid-state drives lose data over time and with rewrites,

This part is true, but you are giving it the Fox News treatment by leaving out the " but its not a problem at all, as it would take decades of constant IE: 100% maxed out usage for you to ever reach that point"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Well, yes you can't leave SSDs unplugged near as long as magnetic drives. I've plugged in 20 year old PCs and still has the same hdd in it kicking.
I was thinking he was referring more to that anti SSD talking point about how you can wear one out with write/rewrite cycles(which is so much data/time that you are very very very likely to never see it).

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Well, you are right. There have been some issues even with the high end models, however it was fixed with a firmware update.
The magnetic platter of IDE/SATA drives is a pretty mature technology. look at the difference in drives between 2000 and 2010, let alone from 1980 to 2000.
I would like to see where SSDs stand in 10 years.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Lowen SoDium posted:

In case any of you ReBoot fans had not heard, ReBoot is getting a Reboot

Yeah, but I am reaaaalllly sort of hesitant on the whole thing. I really like ReBoot, it had a lot of good story, but I'm just really not too sure how well it's going to work today.

quote:

. He also said the focus is on making the show marketable for younger audiences (that means more like the kid-friendly first two seasons of the original and less like the darker later seasons)

YEP. Gonna suck.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Nov 28, 2014

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

mints posted:

Because even though it's obvious that the station has no use for them, they're probably still on the books somewhere and nobody wants to be shitcanned for taking a few CRT monitors no matter how useless they are to the owner now.

Actually, I doubt they are on the books. I would wager it is more of a " less cost-effort to just leave them there" thing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

R.L. Stine posted:

The place where I work is also the area's electronics recycling drop-off place, so we regularly get tons and tons of crazy old poo poo. We're allowed to keep anything we can fix in-house (got a few free 40"+ LCD TVs this way) or anything that's just really weird or cool. I'll try to catalog and take some pictures of some of the weirder things we've had but pretty much everything in this thread, I've seen.

One of the oldest was the Wurlitzer Sideman (1950s), I think it was one of the first consumer drum machines available. Still in perfect working condition. Seen a few 1920s wooden radios, unfortunately in lovely shape, and some newer bakelite radios from just after WW2. I have a stereo setup at home, mostly comprised of recycled-and-cleaned-up components. Newest addition: sweet reel-to-reel complete with someone's country karaoke tape.

We've gotten old rear end Heathkit computers, an Apple II with hard drives that still work, a military dosimeter, a bunch of poo poo. I'll see what I can dig up Monday if anyone's interested.

I won't lie. Your post got me breathing hard.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Lowen SoDium posted:

VHS-C was the bane of anyone who worked at retail in the late 90's and early 00's.

"I'm looking for an 8mm to VHS adaptor"

"I am sorry, but there is no such adaptor. You probably are thinking of a VHS-C adaptor which is for..."

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! I HAVE SEEN THEM BEFORE, MY COUSIN HAS ONE!!!!"

This happened at least once a month at Best Buy.

You were a pretty lovely employee then. You don't correct them, you just pick up the VHS-C adapter and hand it to them.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Unperson_47 posted:

Wow, that was awesome; I'm surprised I've never heard of this before.

What was it?
It leads to a 404 now.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Jerry Cotton posted:

There are shitloads of computers without keyboards in production use for just this reason

On screen keyboard?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Even more bizarre, I think that picture is a PCMCIA / compact flash adapter. But think of it as an SD slot in an stock radio in a car from 2011 and it sounds pretty good.

Good thing, too, because that audio system looks like a pain in the rear end to replace.

Man, cars for yeeeaars have been designing the radio and other systems as parts of the dash, making it incredibly hard, if not impossible, to really do anything aftermarket.
Vehicles are built so much to be disposable. Something break and out of the 3? year warranty? Scrap it and get something new!
What do vehicles even come with nowdays?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

well, I meant as far as warranties go, but yes, can you imagine picking up a used one of those 10 years down the line and trying to replace/fix some dash part?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Humphreys posted:

I didn't like the lovely factory stereo i got with my car., but the newer series had a nice touchscreen, dual zone aircon, bluetooth, nav and other goodies like CD ripping.

So I took it upon myself to aquire the dash of the new one, reflash the stereo to talk to the BCM (and report correct VIN), spoof the HVAC to work, then later implemented the motors and temp sensors.

I kinda went overboard. All I wanted initially was MP3 and still retain steerwheel controls.

How much did that cost you?

Throatwarbler posted:

Why wouldn't you? I'm sure you can still buy a new factory screen or stereo or whatever.

Still going to be a bitch and a half with how integrated everything is. Sure, it all works now, but 10 years down the line, some piece starts going wonky and it'll be hell to track down, etc etc.
Mostly, it all just won't be worth bothering with. Cars barely hold any value, and beyond that the systems just aren't designed to BE fixed.

The windshield wiper motor is routed through the bit that goes 'DING DING" when you have the door open. Take that out, whoops, no wipers.
I had a car once that was a bit messed up. Somehow, having my headlight switch to off caused all interior power to cut out. No inside lights, no power steering.
It did that twice, and then never again. Just saying that they aren't built/designed to be used for that long, but they will. and people will heap curses of a thousand tigers apund the manufacturers head.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Mar 1, 2015

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

BattleMaster posted:

Realtalk what is this garbage-rear end DSL that's a quarter the speed of a T1? I just ran a speedtest.net on mine and I'm getting 11.66 Mb per second which is like 6 or 7 times as fast as a T1.

Edit: I mean I know the turtleass DSL is part of it being obsolete but I flat-out can't remember a time when DSL was that slow

Show off.
Ive been stuck on 1.5 Mb dsl for years.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Seriously? Maybe I'm too young or in the wrong part of the world, but I have never ever seen an 8-track or an 8-track player IRL. It baffles me that a major band would release in that format in the 2000s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 8-track basically the predecessor of the cassette? And these days just as obsolete?

He didn't say they released it exclusively.

It's a joke. A gimmick. You are thinking way too hard on this.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I guess they are. Shipping one would fairly expensive what with the weight. Not that I'm selling my hoard anyway

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm Pretty good source for Model M information.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

rndmnmbr posted:

For all that the Model M was everywhere and every computer shipped with one, they're awfully rare and expensive these days.

I mean, come on. Will nobody part with one for $20? I can't justify paying more than that for a keyboard, no matter how good it is.

(RIP box of Model M keyboards I bought at a school sale, had I but known how hard you were to come by I might not have given you away to everyone I knew.)

I uno dude. Maybe put up an ad on your local craigslist? Check the local flea markets/goodwill/ salvation army? Make a little ringy-dingy down to the local E-Waste collection facility?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

moller posted:

Goodwill specifically but also thrift stores in general have gotten much better about making sure that (non-clothing) items of any value never reach their stores. In the case of goodwill the items go directly to ebay and sell for going ebay rates.

Thrift stores used to be an amazing place to get vintage computer/electronic/game stuff but that hasn't been the case for, like, a decade.

Edit: Unless you want to pay $50+ for a 27 inch tube television.

Edit2: It appears that the salvation army does the same thing selling directly on ebay.

Okay, then I guess he can sit an wallow in self pity over not having a model M. Rather than try to do something about it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

I would love to toss my contacts, but the idea of anything going near my eye makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Humphreys posted:

I just ordered that Binatone phone....

Ring Ring Ring Ring Binatone?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I find really baffling was how many companies decided that internal computer parts suddenly had to be cute/cool colors. I have a neon green power supply from an old computer and my current motherboard is black. The video card is blood red. People tend to not see the inside of computers all that often so who the hell cares what color the parts are?

A ton of PCs have/had plexi windows. It used to be a mod you would do, but a whole lot/most cases have/had them built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

I finally have something to contribute to this thread.

I got this laptop in a load of various items, and I just love it. The weight, the design, the build, it's just wonderful

Introducing: The METROBOOK II !

It is a Pentium 1 MMX era laptop with a whopping 2 GB HDD and an amazing 130 MB of RAM!

The HDD comes in a little caddy that is inserted into a slot on the side that has a flip down door.
The metal bar at the bottom is what you use to pull it out.

The back of it:

Holding it upside actually, but on the "top" by the ports is a flap that latches close and hides the ports when not in use.
There is PS/2/ Parallel/ Game Port/VGA

I'm not sure what the next one is. It has a little image of a TV by it, so built in TV-Tuner? I'm not sure.
Port Replicator and Serial.
Oh, on that flap that hides the ports, is a smaller sliding door that gives access to just the port replicator.

Here was something that I just liked for the build. If you wanted to get at the CPU, you don't have to tear the whole thing apart.
Flip it over, take out 4 screws, remove a cover, take out 4 more screws for the Heat sink and:

THERE YOU ARE!

That sticker above the CPU seems to imply you can change the voltage to it, and perhaps O?C it a bit, but I couldn't figure it out, and I didn't want to start tearing it open.

Amazingly, the battery can still hold a 2 hour-ish charge. I don't know exatcly because I forgot about it, and this was sitting at the BIOS screen, not in actual use.

Has no USB ports, but a FDD. The Keyboard is nice, as well.

I don't know, I've always had a thing for that early era of laptops. I hate for it to just rot, but I can't come up with any real ideas on what to use it for.