Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

DStecks posted:

I'm still using my sister's old Zen Stone (Creative's answer to the iPod Nano), and it's gotta be pushing 6 years old now, and it still works great.

I helped an aunt with a few of these things (she loved it, but never had to install or load it), and I honestly couldn't tell if it was defective or if the software was just catatonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

WebDog posted:

I was messing around the other day with putting Blood Dragon through an old mac Monitor. Windows 8 is surprisingly scalable.

That's not an Apple IIc?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

WebDog posted:

Nope just the monitor hooked up via graphics card and a S-Video to composite cable.

I mean the monitor of an Apple IIc, and not a Macintosh monitor.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Axeman Jim posted:

What the gently caress?

At least the British wouldn't let their trains get into the hands of dictators...

...oh wait we totally would.

The Class 56 heavy freight loco. For some reason BR decided to outsource the construction of the first 30 to Electroputere, the state train builder of Ceauşescu's Romania.

No, I don't know why either. For some reason the first 30 never seemed to work as well as the others and had short lives. Like Ceauşescu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAC_One-Eleven

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Delivery McGee posted:

This post made me mentally compare my Snapdragon-powered phone to the Crays that Jurassic Park made such a big deal of 20 years ago.
Those were Thinking Machines.

EDIT: Okay, well, they were Crays in the novel, it looks like.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

mng posted:

Can any Eurogoons chime in here? I've never used and sort of 'dryer sheets' or fabric softener in my life. Have I been wasting my washing experience?

Here in Sweden, I usually bring back a few boxes from my trips to America to give to friends.

They're like dirt in Waterworld.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mr. Mallory posted:

One of my friends was just saying this to me but I just don't understand what could possibly be so much better.

Have you ever fired a gun in anger?

It's like that.

With every letter you type.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Digiwizzard posted:

Radioactive materials are still commonly used for colour in artist paints. The use of cadmium as pigments give you really bold, intense and permanent reds, oranges and yellows, colours that used to wash out pretty quickly with older pigments. This also means that the cadmium paints are twice the price of all the other tubes in the store.

Who the hell told you this?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

moller posted:

I was told that eating 1000 bananas increased your risk of death by one micromort.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Trifecta!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12380027

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I played everything with joysticks, including Interstate 76 from beginning to end with a Thrustmaster FCS.

I miss that thing. I'm pretty sure my parents sold it in a garage sale while I was at school like 10 years ago. We had to call thrustmaster like three times to get replacement springs because I kept wearing them out / breaking them.

I wish someone still made a B-8 stick, now that DCS A-10A is starting to get good.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

axolotl farmer posted:

Compared to poop, there's a lot of heavy metals in household dust. It's minimal amounts, but enough to make the waste unusable as fertilizer.

There's actually been a campaign here from the water treatment authorities to vacuum and sweep instead of mopping to reduce the amount of dust in the household water waste. If people only flushed body and food waste, the sludge could be used for fertilizer instead of landfill. Phosphorous is a finite resource, and a lot of it is wasted instead of recycled because of contaminated waste water.

I saw this post and wondered if you were Swedish.

Are you refering to those ads that were on tv last year about not flushing dust? Weren't they from a vacuum cleaner company?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

axolotl farmer posted:

wasn't two way pagers a thing for a while in the US? in Europe everyone was already using text messages by that time.

Telia Mobitel posted:

To send a personal text message
  1. Call Telia Mobitel's Personal Message Service, +46 740-998877.
  2. An operator will help you send the message.

Groda has a new favorite as of 16:15 on May 23, 2015

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Everything looks like my Radio Shack MC-10.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Aphrodite posted:

There's also charge cards which are like credit cards but need to be paid in full every month. I don't know if those are still a thing though.
Corporate cards are often in the form of a charge card. Here in Sweden, it's common for them to have an unlimited credit limit and a >1 month payment window.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

less than three posted:

Everything from Nokia back then was indestructible.

I was one of the tens of people who had the Nokia 7380.

Dropped it in a toilet, keeps working. Partying for a night and it's been sitting underwater for 8 hours? Still working.

Is that the stainless steel one? It cost a drat fortune here in Sweden.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Humphreys posted:

Holy poo poo that looks cool! I remember my highscholl girlfriends dad have a black Mac and it's killer feature was a TV tuner!

Having said that, today i was fawning over my bosses GT Cobra, then got thrown the keys to go 'all out' around the block (his words). The loving this was an automatic! (for non-car people, that thing should be a manual gearbox no matter what level of kit version!)

The Macintosh TV. I had one as my first computer, and it was great -- you could Open Apple + Shift + 3 in TV mode and get a 16 bit color, 640x480 PICT format screenshot. I used it constantly to screen cap Wings and The Simpsons.

However, all the flight sim stuff I was into needed a 030 FPU that it didn't come with. It didn't have any expansion slot for one, either, and the RAM could only be upgraded to 8 MB from 5 MB.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SAP is the reason why the Germany spirit needs to be crushed in war each generation.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Krakox posted:

I thought America was 1.5x the side of yuroop with 60% of the pop, I have been wrong in the past

Anyone including Alaska in these kind of debates has their thumb on the scale.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Computer viking posted:

What keyboard layout is that? Swedish with a random extra ü and é? Some paneuropean hybrid that's subtly wrong for everyone?

It took a while for dead keys to get settled on. Having separate and is a pretty good solution for Swedish, really.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evobatman posted:

I wouldn't piss on an HP EliteBook with a stolen dick. I have one for work, and when I ran the driver update software, it gave me ads for McAfee antivirus. The Dell Command Suite of tools on the other hand is really good, and Lenovos utilities are decent too, although they have like 3-4 apps with overlapping update and diagnosis functionality.

I've had nothing but positive things to say about the HP EliteBooks I've had over the past few years, but I always buy an off the shelf copy of Windows for my computers. The average monthly cost of it just makes sense for all the hastle you're missing.

Groda has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Mar 30, 2017

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

FTP links are pretty relevant to this thread.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

When I first moved to Sweden, our dormitory had this model in the hallway with its dial deactivated, so the people could receive calls to a POTS line (which cost a lot less to call from abroad than a cell). The foreign students used it a lot.

It was also constantly getting called up by creepy guys who'd gotten its number at bars from some girl on my floor who couldn't be arsed to just make up a number.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

mystes posted:

The dial was physically disabled? If it was pulse couldn't you just manually toggle the switch hook to dial?

I had a tone dialer that worked on the line without any trouble, but I didn't want to abuse it and lose it.

Ironically, I got in touch with the phone company to get my own POTS line for my dorm room, and, while installing it, they tore out all of these hallway phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Buttcoin purse posted:

That's a Core i7-3960x? How was that machine obsolete in 2015, what could it no longer do?

I'm using an i7-4770 which is admittedly the next generation but mostly I just want to increase the RAM up to 32GB from 16GB to deal with my massive number of Firefox tabs Admittedly I'm not trying to play any recent games on here, just sometimes run some older games and/or some virtual machines.

I have an i7-4770 and 32 GB, and I've never once managed to browse my way over 16 GB. Mostly I wanted to turn off virtual memory.