Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Reading

Farbtoner posted:

Really, UMD video format was just as useless but it had an actual media company with a library behind it so Sony could keep flooding the market.

and earlier,

Sagebrush posted:

No, those were UMDs.

Here are some proprietary Sony formats that you've never used, and maybe never even heard of, because they did nothing but duplicate the functionality of an existing format but with Sony owning the ecosystem:

UMD
MicroMV
ATRAC3
HiFD
MMCD
SACD
Memory Stick (available in plain, PRO, Duo, PRO Duo, PRO-HG Duo, Micro M2 and XC versions)
DAT

What kind of idiot is in charge there who keeps dreaming up this kind of ridiculous poo poo? Is it some kind of corporate pride? Is it hereditary?

"My father-sensei came up with Betamax, so I -must- invent something new! A-ha! UMDs!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

This isn't quite right.

:words:

Fascinating, huh?

Yes. Thank you for taking the time to explain this.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

I had this, played Descent with it once. Calibration sucks. In fact, the entire setup was much less effective than dual WASD for that game.

15-year old self made some really stupid purchases.

This one's going in the bin, the ones on eBay won't go away after 30 days of listing for $10. Not worth the effort.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

They didn't use them for samples? How did they distribute those - memory cartridges?

Synthesizers are not necessarily also samplers. Memory carts are used for preset storage as well - just the positions of each knob and slider, not the actual sound - those sounds were put in ROM. For some synthesizers, you bought a small circuit board with more ROM on it. The assumption for samplers was that you would load up your own sounds every time, so you didn't need anything built-in.

On the Fairlight CMI you had big 8" floppy disks. Later samplers used floppies and briefly ZIP drives (though those were usually hooked up externally) - for the rest, CD-ROM and harddisk (all via SCSI and an utter pain to get to work).

The computer-ish stuff that got put in most music instruments is usually a great example of obsolete technology; workstations with sampling capability that still used SIMMs when desktops didn't have them anymore for a decade or so.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't a lot of synthesizers and music equipment only export to floppies still?

Yeah - but luckily some folks have worked on a replacement. Storing the presets (so just slider a = position 5, slider b = position 6 etc. - not the actual sound) is something you can do on the computer easily so you don't need to touch a floppy drive unless you want to read your old stuff, but samples are generally another matter because it's a total pain to transfer them via MIDI and there's usually no other way to get them in there easily.

Of course, you're screwed when a manufacturer decides "hey let's use some poo poo obscure format like QuickDisk or a non-standard compliant floppy drive".

SCSI interfaces for a CF card are also pretty popular, and old samplers usually can't deal with sizes over 4 GB or so anyway.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Those were definitely a thing, and got more and more complicated over time until you were king poo poo for a while if you had a magstripe (or chipcard/smartcard) device and could clone cards for all your friends once cable and satellite companies started wising up.

Speaking of cards: http://blog.codinghorror.com/revisiting-the-black-sunday-hack/ is a nice read.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

TerryLennox posted:

Ray tracing will become mainstay...one of these days...just you wait.

Have there been any recent attempts to get ray tracing working on modern hardware?

If you can have this, why bother?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKqxonOrl4Q

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

Could have kept my EWS64 XL, dammit.

For goodness' sake, don't use soundcards old enough to have a driver's license and get something sweet with enough I/O and modern converters.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

but a Commodore 64 serves no useful purpose today.

excuuuuuse me

http://www.mssiah.com

You know that people are still programming kick-rear end demos for this machine, right?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Zonekeeper posted:

The weird thing is that Dollar coins should have started catching on after vending machine soda prices went above $1 per item, but vending machine manufacturers installed bill readers that don't work half the time instead of upgrading any of the coin mechanisms to accept $1 coins.

http://www.rollcall.com/issues/57_114/Dollar-Fight-Is-Paper-Vs-Metal-213304-1.html

Of course, lobbying :suicide:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Do you not have a volume knob? Have you considered lying and giving the deaf-as-gently caress clients the loudened "master" and secretly publishing the good one?

You uh, know what a compressor does, don't you?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
So I found this somewhere.

Copyright said 1988. You can do arithmetic exercises, train yourself in touch typing and the "games" consist of hangman and solving jumbled words.

Back then probably cheaper than a C64 but it aged quite badly. The top of the line units are now either tablets with educational software or "kids tablets" which are just slower and more locked down, or these:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Somewhere there's a musician who uses an Atari ST to make music for the German market.

Why not, they're still using Amigas too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e0wg_618ac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztqsLT79M58

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

Someone rich please make this my avatar tag or whatever you call it.

You have received a hi-res image that looks absolutely stunning on any 14" CRT running at 320x240x256.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

The last car made in the U.S. to have a factory-installed cassette player? This one.

Cassettes: The Very Best in Obsolete Technology

Of all cars I would expect to have a modern audio installation, a Lexus would certainly be one of them. Why :psyduck:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is "more knobs = better than" ever going to come back as a design aesthetic?

"Come back"? It's been back for a decade already!

"More knobs = better than" is the mantra for all synthesizer nerds!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The Atari has some amazing and weird software for making music on it. It's kind of a shame all that esoteric stuff seems to have dropped out of Cubase et al and is now only available as someone's weird Max/MSP patch or something.

http://tamw.atari-users.net has a bunch. Apparently you can still order Music Mouse for 15 bucks if you are running OS 9 or something.

Edit: http://tamw.atari-users.net/m.htm

Now also known as Cycling '74's Max/MSP :v:

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Jan 9, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Same, with a couple of plugins for file formats and keyboard shortcuts, it does exactly what I need and I haven't felt the need to touch it in years.

On a 1080 monitor it's an awfully tiny click target unless you run it in janky 200% mode and it chokes on large song collections. Foobar easily handles an index of a terabyte of music.

Biggest advantage for me of Winamp was something that I can't convince Foobar to offer as a direct control, you have to get into a stupid menu first for some unfathomable reason.:

http://www.surina.net/pacemaker/

I also used it as the default app to open mp3 files so my Foobar playlist would not be wiped immediately.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ryonguy posted:

Do you use 3D models of record grooves for audio files?

Nah, I still have a shitload that needs to be converted to FLAC. The rest is indeed digital hoarding, minus damp carpet and five year olds going to school by themselves while I am recovering from WoW binges on my Alienware rig

dpbjinc posted:

I bet he downloaded that one Touhou torrent that's something like 14 terabytes at this point.

anime is garbage hth god bless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh hey did you finish Platform Masters yet? Can't wait to play it!

I did not get this one so I found the site and looked at the video. Well, that was uh.. informative.

I basically just want the pitching for music production, it's easier to learn chord progressions or figure out melodies when you can slow things down and not having to start up Live for it is convenient. Also, sampling.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Mine just came with two discs. One had the normal cut, the other had the extended cut. Gee, thanks.

It kinda reminds me of the limited edition release I have of Motörhead's final album. In the box, apart from the poster and patches and other goodies, is an LP (obsolete), a CD (obsolete) and a download code (didn't work). Three copies of the same album, just what I've always wanted!

Well, at least you can quickly rip a CD and put it in a binder forever afterwards and have 44/16 wave files :shobon:

It's not like the streaming stuff is higher quality.

Also the fact that not all CDs are available in streaming/download format pisses me the hell off. "Nah, we'll rather not make any money at all than the pittance we would receive with offering it for sale digitally.". The distribution laws we use in TYOOL 2016 are still based on a dude waiting for a boat with a pallet of vinyl to arrive so he can be the only one who sells it. What the gently caress.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Microsoft 4000 > * except perhaps that Kinesis thing.

This was posted by Jeff "Discourse" Atwood in 2005:

http://blog.codinghorror.com/keyboarding-microsoft-natural-ergonomic-4000/

which is why it's so weird that he ended up creating this:

http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-code-keyboard/

poo poo, I know this is an OEM where you just slap on the name and poo poo, but go the extra goddamn mile and at least make it a split keyboard like the 4000.

IMHO the fact we know wrist pain is a thing I'd say any non-split or non-curved layout is obsolete and just there because it's so drat cheap.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

Brian Wilson recorded in mono and tested all songs on a tiny crappy speaker.

He wanted his music to sound good in a 1960s car radio.

http://www.avantonepro.com/Avantone-MixCubes-Full-Range-Mini-Reference-Monitors.html

These are used for this exact purpose.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

darkhand posted:

You know what needs a pinch of automation is car dealerships. Nobody loving likes anything about buying a car yet no one has really changed the game.
Blame lobbying.

quote:

My county has like 6 McDonald's so a locale like that, I don't think it makes sense to replace a few of minimum wage employees with robots and some engineers to maintain them at 60k+ salary or whatever.

The question is what'll happen to any store aimed at certain income groups when those income groups can no longer afford to purchase there anymore.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Obsolete and decaying storage formats are the crisis issue for contemporary archivists, combined with the ease of deleting information. It takes hard work to search several filing cabinets' worth of paper to find all trace of the documents you want to destroy. It's trivial to throw away a PowerPoint after its use is over.

Someone obviously never has had to use an external terabyte harddisk with a Matrioshka file system that contains progressively older backups, a fuckton of Thumbs.db files and duplicate JPGs that differ in date of creation by an hour because DST somehow got skipped :colbert:

Seriously, I would love a print of a photo where on the back you'd have some kind of QR code you could scan to recreate the binary BMP from scratch or something.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The TI-82 I had was acquired before our school started with graphic calculators. It dropped my average score something fierce (why memorize when I can just code a few lines, enter the variables and get a solution oh poo poo not allowed on exams ffffuuuucckkkk) but it did get me interested in programming, even though the 82 had only a weird form of BASIC where you had to choose commands from a list and no (official) assembly support. I coded a wireframe isometric 3D engine on it that worked entirely on basis of specifying coordinates in the form of radians and scalars and it had to blank the screen every time before the next image could be drawn. I didn't know about matrix transforms back then, otherwise I could've made it much easier, probably faster and actually 3D.

I saw a TI-92 a few years later which had a bitching Harrier-like game on it, but they practically stuffed an entire Amiga 500 in there as opposed to the gimped C64 in the TI-82.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

moller posted:

I'm convinced there's just a significant market of people out there who love technology but just can't deal with keyboards and reading things, and they loudly demand a star trek computer.

Even if it's roughly as efficient as smoke signals and all it can do is shop for you.

Humphreys posted:

I feel stupid for not thinking of BNC for something that was used semi-professionally. Although in my defence The only BNC stuff I have used is for radios or SDI/HDSDI for video editing decks (which makes me doubly stupid)

It's also used for MADI and I believe word clock.

https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_6432R.php

Fun stuff to hook all of this up, thank goodness some brands are going with plain cat-5.

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Nov 25, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Aix posted:

...we mostly used an amiga for live ovelays at the time tho, that thing never failed
Post the very best in obsolete and failed technology that you purchased thinking it would be cool to have but then didn't touch for 15 years and now your wife is yelling at you to finally clean up that mess from the attic: I have an Amiga 3000T with tapedrive and CD ROM (and Lemmings plus a shitload of demo/shovelware for it) that was used by a local TV station that I bought back in the day for a hundo.

Around that time I also bought an A500 from this guy who said he'd be happy with a nice apple pie instead of cash.

When I got to the house, his girlfriend was standing there smirking while the dude was looking kinda sad at all the floppies and the half dozen arcade joysticks and the 5.25" drive he had to let go.

I think I only switched it on once and I'm reasonably certain most of the disks have died.

I am not good with retrocomputing.

Humphreys posted:

Maybe pull the FPGA cores off the PCBs and make some dev boards as I haven't gotten to the level of screwing with VHDL yet...although the time : cost ratio involved, I may aswell buy a ready made dev board which would have a much better FPGA.
I'm fairly sure it would, but wouldn't that also be cheaper than the old secondhand stuff?

quote:

EDIT: the last time I cracked them open I think they had old SPARTAN II's or III's.
RME used Xilinx, I think their old page still said something about their mixing/summing algorithms being "poured in hardware" or something.

https://www.rme-audio.de/old/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

RME's support is pretty good for this stuff, though.

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Nov 25, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Let's hope it fares better than the previous one:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/29/retro_computer_ltd_vega_plus_refunds/

I still think the C64 ports of those games were usually better, with better music too.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Code Jockey posted:

Plus I'm really not that into fighting games, and all my local arcades ever had were machines running KoF.

I briefly tinkered with Neo-Geo emulation in the early 00s but from what I could remember it didn't really have something like Zelda or a platformer that didn't have shooting, right? Unless I misremember. So it was either fighting or shooting or sports because other games don't lend themselves well to spending quarters and if you have to develop a game for just the console it probably bleeds money.

Kind of a shame though, the graphics were indeed gorgeous.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

so he can sign in then navigate to AOL.com and log into his email to pay his bills. :wtc:

straight in the veins aaahh

Of course he did not want to try this on a more modern system, right? This is kind of like buying one of those 50s TVs and expecting to see Howdy Doody and other old shows.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Sounds like the level designers looked at that rotating drum in Carnival Night Zone of Sonic 3 and were “hey this is fun, let’s use that” :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

and HP Laserjet 4s

Can’t say I’m looking forward to this.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Audiophiles don't actually ever get around to anything as passe as listening to music. What music could ever be good enough?

:colbert:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

...MTV Music Generator...

...I somehow made my first two (and part of my third) albums...

But all you could do with this was arrange premade samples that were fragments of a track to begin with! How did you squeeze out an entire album out of that, let alone two? :psyduck:

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Nov 20, 2018

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ah hell nah. You could write your own loops, piano-roll/Fruity Loops style, and you could also sample your own sounds. It let you take out the PS disc and put your own in, and sample stuff. Even if you were using their premade beats or whatnot, you could add effects that would totally alter the sound.

I’m legit surprised. I did my first mashups with Fasttracker II, jumping to Windows to timestretch and edit waveforms to size, then back to DOS to sequence the sounds with FTII. I acquired Sony ACID which allowed me to do all of that in Windows, and it had built-in realtime timestretching. I even used SoundForge, Burial-style, to make a remix which I should still have somewhere.

Anyway - all those Music Maker variants had a similar interface like ACID, but seemed more limited and more importantly, locked to the original content that came with it. Cool to hear that you got so much mileage out of it.

Lots of people still nostalgic for Cool Edit Pro, too, and trackers are also still in use. There are people who unironically perform with Ataris and Amigas playing back crunchy samples, too.

I’ll listen to your work as soon as I’m on a real computer again :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

, but there’s nothing better about cassette tape.

Real reel to reel tape and multitrack stuff that costs a fortune per meter makes things sound better, but there is a whole class of devices that are loved for making stuff sound worse. Overdriven cassette that is scrunched up properly can add some really cool chaos to clean sounds. Plus, of course, variable speed playback of your own material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

If you spend more than $50 on audiophile poo poo your an idiot imo

there, fixed it for you