Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Ron Burgundy posted:

Until the 1950's and even later in some developing countries everyone on the party lines phone rang, but with a slightly different ring to tell you who it was meant for.

We had a party line in our cabin in Vermont up until the late 1980s. Our ring was one long, one short, one long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait, that's an actual thing?! He wasn't just making a joke about a tiny apartment? :psyduck:

Outside of the US, toilets and bathrooms are scaaaaary places. Even in so-called "civilized" "Europe" people tolerate insane bathrooms situations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Are you sure you actually recorded with the noise reduction switched on? Because enabling it on playback on a non-Dolby tape would definitely attenuate the treble.

The basic function of Dolby noise reduction is to boost the high frequencies during recording, so they drown out tape hiss better. Then during playback, the high frequencies are lowered back to normal level, also lowering the tape noise.

I wish you were around 25 years ago to tell young me that! I thought the Dolby switch was just some kind of "make the tape sound muffled" switch.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

How does Blackberry still exist? Who uses them unless their job requires them to for whatever reason?

You answered your own question. Government loves blackberries A: because they invested in the BES back when it was The Thing and B: they hate hate hate change.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

flosofl posted:

Sounds like it might be a line printer. Does is have a shroud and make a *CHUNKCHUNKCHUNK* sound when it prints?

Gotta watch that paper dust that gets generated. I believe the old IBM line printers are the reason for the "lp0 on fire" error code in the kernel.

In the late 90s I worked IT for a local newspaper, and we used those line printers for bundle wraps and other things. They were incredibly big, incredibly loud, incredibly fast and made so much dust. One of my jobs was to vacuum them out weekly with our special non sparking toner/dust vacuums.

Obsolete things: Our inserter (that would puff the paper open and insert the ads) ran off a no-poo poo, original PDP11.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Humphreys posted:

Also if I was the 1st page guy, I would have totally stolen the last page made up of lead and framed it at home.

I worked at a local paper, and they did have the last hot metal plate and the first digital plate framed next to the press. My boss actually started there when he was 16 as a Linotype apprentice and when I was there was head of IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd bet money every one of those interchanges exists somewhere in Britain Boston.