Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

kith_groupie posted:

Yeah, the bike I bought when I moved the the Netherlands, has one and I've used it for the past decade or so. I'm a big spoiled whiny American baby princess when it comes to having to ride my bike further than a few kilometers or so, but that's more because biking in the rain/wind/general apathetic Dutch malaise is lovely and not because of the tiny little bit extra it takes to make the light go on.

But if you want to talk about obsolete Dutch tech let's talk the strippenkaart.

You'd buy these from grocery stores, train stations, convience stores, whatever, so instead of having to buy a ticket at the train station you'd have to stamp your own ticket with this

or the bus driver would stamp it for you after you told him where you where going. They started phasing it out about six years or so ago, and now we just use cards to check in and out at stations. I don't know if they had it in other countries, but I imagine they did. Moving here from the rural American west to this sort of system was pretty jarring at first though.

These are still being used in Denmark, theirs clip a 'zone' or fare from the ticket and can still be used but almost gone now - Sydney Australia still uses paper tickets, but more for the journey/day than clippers/stamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Not quite the same Theme but pretty interesting - Installing MSDOS 5 right through to Windows 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14