Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

According to my brother, who is also a doctor, having a pager for your contact number helps you avoid pointless phone calls from nurses who are too lazy to read the chart.

He doesn't like nurses very much.

It's okay, nurses don't like doctors very much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The best part of the console tv was it made a nice stand for the new tv.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
FM radio adapter for your 8-track.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

That FM tuner cartridge is just blowing my mind. I guess I just assumed that no matter what, car stereos just always had FM radio.

That is too cool.

My first car was a 73, it had the original AM only radio in it. No FM, no 8-track.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Hey guys! Remember that old gun that I got excited about and said my gramps had one of? No? Well, why not?!

Anyway, here it is:

Closeup of the shittier parts:

Aaaand the end of the barrel:

Of course, this one is in terrible condition and couldn't fire without some serious restoration. We did, after all, find it in a ditch.

Sorry for going off topic there. I just wanted to prove we actually had the damned thing. Also sorry that the pictures are kind of lovely. I don't have a real camera, just the ones built into my phone and kindle.

Find out if any local police are having a gun buy back and turn it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Trackpoint is the poo poo compared to just about any non-apple trackpad :colbert:. It isn't suprising why they were so popular: early trackpads were godawful glitchy inaccurate monstrosities with bad palm rejection, integrated trackballs got gunked up constantly, and d-pad style mice were slow and tough to use because they only ever moved in one of 8 directions. Now they are still nice because you can use trackpoint with a gloved or sweaty hand which is very useful in the lab or in the field. For graphics it is worthless but for excel/word it is very nice because you don't have to re-position your hands off the keyboard to use it. It isn't just thinkpads though, a lot of mobile workstation notebooks (from Dell and HP at least) still have them too.

Speaking of business does anyone remember these?

The rolodex! turning the knob would let you spin through all the cards quickly to get to the letter you wanted and you could flip through the last couple cards by hand. Pretty darn useful for people with lots of business contacts. But so low tech, surely we can do better...

I recently started drilling at an armory that I hadn't drilled it in about 5 years. When I was getting re-oriented, I was asked to update my contact information, which was still written down on a card I had filled out 8 years ago in the Rolodex they had on hand. So there is something to be said for the permanency of paper.