Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The Phatnoise Phatbox (also sold as the Kenwood Music Keg). This was a fantastic device before solid state memory was affordable. They took a laptop hard drive, built a cartridge for it, then coded an amazingly functional interface that allowed you to load and customize a music library how you want it organized, and on top of that they made it compatible with a huge number of cars and stereos by making it emulate a CD changer. Oh, and it plays every music format made, including FLAC.

Even better was that a few years later some guys hacked it so you could upgrade the hard drive without paying their exorbitant markup.

I bought mine in 2004 when the product began its decline, and still use it daily. 40 gigs of dedicated music with a full track/artist/album readout on the dash and direct access to albums just by typing the disc number on the head unit remote. My library is organized alphabetically by artist and chronologically by album. Plus super easy drag and drop playlist creation.

I'm bummed they're discontinued, I've yet to see any other solution as easy to use and freely customizeable. When mine dies I'm going to be repeatedly frustrated by whatever else I use.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU