Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

axolotl farmer posted:

VCDs were huge in Asia, mostly because the movie could be pressed by the same plants that made bootleg CDs.

It was also the format for internet piracy of anime tv shows in the late 90s-early 00s.

I lived in China from 98-99 and spent most of my uni holidays there after that, and the sheer volume of pirated VCDs was incredible. You had to watch out for 'theatre jobs', where someone had taken a movie camera into a cinema and shot it from the crowd - it's weird watching a Jim Carrey movie with a laugh track.

It also encouraged homebrew media; when it was still A Thing, I remember seeing VCD compilations of the Bill Clinton sex scandal available in stores everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

HaB posted:

but the rest of us punters had to use a cassette drive. Like literally audio cassettes. If you stored multiple programs on one cassette, you had to meticulously label the counter locations for each one, and they took several minutes to load into the computer. Woe unto the man who forgot to reset the counter after rewinding the tape, moved to a location and started loading only to realize after waiting 5 minutes that you loaded the wrong program entirely.

A friend of mine grew up in Poland and told me that there were ham radio stations that would play a signal that comprised a computer program and that you could record it onto an audio tape and then use in your computer in this fashion.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

BoutrosBoutros posted:

Only some checking accounts are free in the US. Monthly account maintenance fees are very common (usually in combination with a minimum balance). Also online bill pay is quite often the bank LITERALLY sending out a check in your name instead of actually electronically transmitting funds. When I send my car payment online that's what happens and it takes 5 days to process instead of 15 minutes like a proper EFT should.

EFT is brilliant in Australia. Two weeks ago I logged into my online account, transferred money from my personal account to another person's personal account, and literally two minutes later they were able to call the bank and confirm that the transfer had taken place and the money was in their account. It cost precisely $0 in fees.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

WebDog posted:

PYF obsolete and failed places of conception.

I was under the impression that homegrown was frowned upon.