Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Nasgate posted:

Screw Ipods and Zunes, my family used Zen players :smug:
Specifically we all had the Vision M model as seen below. Brother and I had 30 gigs while our mom had the 60 gig version. This was cool because Ipod video players at the time had less storage, worse screens, and were more expensive I believe. Apparently the company is still making mp3 players, but really I don't know anyone else who has owned one or heard of one.

An earlier Zen was the Zen Touch. I had (and still have it, though it's not in active duty) the 20GB variant.

Here is an image depicting a Creative Zen Touch with french language settings playing some Joe Cocker:

It's called "Touch" because there's a small strip under the OK-button which is kind of touch sensitive.
The thing is that the Zen Touch can withstand anything short of a direct bomb blast. I've had it hit the floor on many occasions, but it still keeps on truckin'. Pair that with 24h battery life and you have a pretty good MP3-player!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Crasscrab posted:

Too bad you need to be running Windows XP to run the program that loads files onto it.
I don't know about newer flavors of Windows, but I got the fucker to work with Linux.

edit:

lenoon posted:

I bought this the day the ipod mini came out and then spent about two years saying "but don't you see? It's better than an ipod!"
The iPod on the other hand...

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

JediTalentAgent posted:

The only real streaming competition that I ever saw at that time was a format called "Vivoactive" which I thought was better than Realvideo with comparable file sizes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VivoActive
Vivo sucked.
A friend of mine earned my eternal respect when he watched through the whole Godzilla-movie in Vivo.
Not only did he make it through a lovely movie, but he watched it through a thumbnail sized Vivo-file.
That's dedication!

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Snorkzilla posted:

Door games were games you could play on a BBS that often had a multi-player aspect.
Great post!

A few years ago some goon set up a BBS on telnet so we could play LORD and TEOS II. I hadn't played them since SysOp'ing a BBS in the 90s, so it was a blast from the past to log in every day for the daily dose. Still awesome games. I wish someone would do this again.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Pariah Messiah posted:

Is...is that mask thing...the CD itself?
Yes.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Boxman posted:

Did anyone ever pirate GameCube games? How would that even work?
As far as I know replacements for the plastic surrounding the discs were manufactured so you could swap out the stock one and fit standard DVDs in the GameCube.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Geoj posted:

Honestly I can't see them really caring, and beyond that they'd have a hard time proving in court that they had any actual damages. If Gravis had been selling a replacement that worked with their system they might have done something, or even if Nintendo was making a game port version of their controller. But it was a controller that worked on a different platform with a completely different connector, so I don't really see why they'd give any fucks about it.
They probably would give some fucks if Gravis had used Nintendo's patented design for the d-pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

sweeperbravo posted:

When my family got our first "real" computer, we sat in a semicircle around its desk as it booted for the first time. I recall "oohs" and "ahhs" as the startup sound played and the logo proudly beamed ascreen, though that may have just been an addition by my eight-year-old imagination.
My dad worked with computers when I was a kid. I vividly remember the day he came home with a new computer, a 486 dx2/66mhz.
We booted the it, and during the RAM self test it seemed like it just wouldn't stop counting.
When it finally stopped, at a whooping 16 megabytes, we just started laughing spontaneously.
"I didn't even know that you could buy machines with that much RAM", my dad proclaimed. I agreed.

These days I don't even know how much RAM I have. I just know that we now measure it in gigabytes.