Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Here's the Seeburg 1000 A very 50's looking microwave size jukebox that played proprietary size 16rpm records of background music for public areas. The records were supplied by Seeburg and recalled and destroyed when a new set was sent out (sometimes). They had 3 tailored libraries: Basic, Mood and Industrial. Basic was for supermarkets, shopping malls and the like, Mood was for fine dining etc, and the Industrial library was specifically formulated to increase productivity and reduce noise related fatigue which can occur in a factory setting.

The records were in mono, 9" with a 2" centre hole. The jukebox has 25 records, 20 songs a side, so 1000 selections in the jukebox at any given time. After the jukebox had played the side of a record, it lifted that record up and played the other side upside down, with the tonearm rising to meet the record. Once the whole stack of records had finished, the jukebox lifted the whole stack and started again. It really is cool to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_UIUsyrTsU

I collect the records, and slow them down in Audacity, but I really need to get me one of the jukeboxes.

Ron Burgundy has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

This thing's pretty neat, but I'm really curious as to what the hell "industrial" sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iKJ3U0uXy4

(all of the yellow, and very light blue label discs on youtube)

Phanatic posted:

There are laser phonograph players, did you know. Instead of scraping a needle down the groove of your pristine, coddled vinyl, they shine a laser, just like a CD player does. I have no idea how they sound,

The original ones sounded horrible. After 20 years they may have made some progress, but the wear induced by a properly adjusted turntable is almost nil. They used to harp on about how these could play physically broken 78s, but if the platter still spins, I fail to see how the halves will not spin out at 78 rpm especially.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Party Lines... Some sort of magic allowed incoming calls to only ring the phone of the person they were calling.

Until the 1950's and even later in some developing countries everyone on the party lines phone rang, but with a slightly different ring to tell you who it was meant for.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

See also the library of congress digitisation project http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

All this talk of the death of still photography film is a sad reminder that film is almost dead in cinemas too. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but the digital rollout is well over 50%, but 35mm film was the prime means of theatrical distribution for over a century. Let me present my hobby that is comprised of 100% obsolete technology.

This is the finest purpose built portable 35mm projector that money would buy you in 1960. The Philips FP3. Designed by Jan Kotte, the man who also designed the best film projector ever made, the DP70.

That's portable?!

Yeah you really couldn't get much smaller for 35mm. It did also ship with a fold up tripod for actual portability.

Those are 2000 foot magazines attached. That's 20 minutes of film. If you wanted continious performance you needed a pair. There is a larger 6000 foot film magazine for this machine but thats still only an hour before you need an intermission.

So what's the difference between this and my 8/16mm projector?

35mm projectors were mechanical workhorses that had very little internal electronics and relied on external equipment for things like power supply, audio processing and amplification.

This is the Dolby CP55 Cinema Sound Processor. This was the most cutting edge piece of equipment your theater could have in 1985 for turning little squiggles on film into surround sound. It has Dolby A type noise reduction. SR had yet to be invented.

The processor is completely modular to enable 0 downtime for component failure.

So the actual films for this thing are going to be really big and bulky aren't they?

Oh my gently caress yes. All of these reels make a single 102 minute film.

(DVD for size comparison not what's actually on the reels)

The films are off-market items. 35mm prints were never intended to break a cycle from film distributor and cinema. Once the film had completed its run it was sent back and either kept for future showings or destroyed. But like any good system things escape anyway. This is why a list of available titles is not a thing and the pricing is an unregulated collectors market.

How does the sound work?

Good question, the modern 35mm motion picture film holds many sound formats, which I think this article explains better than I could. My projector only plays the oldest format, analog sound. By shining a bright slit of light through the modulated soundtrack area onto a solar cell.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Everyone is gonna call me pathetic, but this almost made me cry.

I remember going to the theatre as a kid, and sneaking peeks into the projector room, and it was like this amazing world of whirring machines and whizzing film going by at breakneck speeds. I was entirely entrance when that door opened, and several times tried to sneak in.

I feel somehow cheated knowing that when I go to the theatre, it's just a bloody DVD they're playing for me on the projector. Hell, I have a goddamned DVD player. Motherfucker. The only thing is missing is the giant rear end everything.

E: I didn't mean this to be newpage. I'm sorry for lame newpage.

You could probably guess that I was once a projectionist. It was the job I always wanted to do and I did it for 5 years in my city's dingiest fleapit, but I could pretty much fix any problem we had with our 50 year old machines.

Then we switched to digital. It was still a good job, but the romance was gone. Two of our other screens were still film so I stuck around a bit and learnt the digital system.(also the pay was poo poo and it was owned by my actually crazy distant uncle)

The digital cinema files are delivered on a hard drive caddy and "ingested" into the movie server. Closer to the date of release, a digital key is delivered for the film which limits the starting and ending dates and times for the movie, also logging the number of showings.

This is where the Digital cinema packages differ from any home video formats. The movie itself is in 2K (20481080) or 4K (40962160) resolution depending on the specs of the projector. The audio is 24bit wav format, every channel in a separate stream. The video is not a true video file but rather a series of packed JPEG2000 images which negates consumer video issues like key frames and motion artifacts.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Zenostein posted:

I thought that they were intended as privacy screens. Am I thinking of some other dumb monitor hanger?

I think they also reduced glare, because CRTs could be annoyingly bright at times.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

A lot of depression glassware is tinted green with uranium. It glows spectacularly under a black light.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

I've always thought that Battersea power station had the best looking control rooms.

The art deco 1929 control room A on the left of the photo, and the early atomic age styled 1945 control room B on the right.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

On the topic of canning and bottling from the last couple of pages, I was watching How It's Made or similar and was surprised to learn that, in the case of Coke anyway, all the PET bottles are made from the same blank, that is a capsule of PET with the screw already moulded, but the bottom is just like a small test tube of thick plastic that gets blown out to the mould size.

(something like that)

Which is why the 390ml (13 fl oz) bottle is like half an inch thick at the bottom, and the 3 litre bottles are paper thin.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Kind Milkman posted:

I love that it only has the cantina and the Death Star explosion. If they made other scenes, I'd like to see a version of Star Wars compiled from them.

I have hundreds of these. They are usually very professionally edited together 20 minute consdensed versions.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

b0nes posted:

How could all of that film only be 20 minutes?

Super8 is 3 seconds per foot! The larger gauges (which I also collect) are even more ludicrous. Most 35mm features are about 10,000 feet long, just over 3 kilometres.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Count Chocula posted:

Instead of using clothes dryers most people hang clothes on 'hills hoists', spinning clothes hangers Aussies are very proud of inventing.

Oy! Nothing will dry your clothes like a Hills Hoist. They go a level beyond dry.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

A yes, the good old Philips PM5544 was very popular right around the world, almost every TV station in Australia used them at one point.

Older test cards, like the famous "Indian Head" were generated with a monoscope. A CRT tube with a metal plate permanently sealed inside with the image etched with phosphor. It produced the image electronically by scanning the plate. Like a camera that could only shoot one thing. They were black and white only.

Before electronically generated colour patterns like the Philips were invented, cards like the classic BBC Test Card F were produced by literally pointing a camera at a card.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Ugh gently caress nitrate. I've been collecting film half my life (I'm 26) and I have a couple of nitrate newsreels that I'm still too scared to run with the lamp on.

For those that don't know, nitrate film was the only film stock used for 35mm film prints up until the 1950s, although prints circulated later than that. It is essentially guncotton and extremely flammable. As it breaks down it spontaneously combusts. You cannot put nitrate film fires out with water, it generates oxygen as it burns and will burn underwater once alight.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

My film storage area smells like a salad.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

It's certainly dangerous enough to warrant it voiding most insurance.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

0dB posted:

8 track cartridges...

open reel tapes are starting to cost a lot if you can find them

Protip: It's the same tape.

If you get desperate enough just bulk erase before you use it. (and don't play the graphite side)

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

The SNES one is a composite video and audio and I'm not sure how to wire something up for it, but don't forget most VCRs already have RF modulators in them.

They haven't turned out analogue here yet but when they do, I'll be ready.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

The equipment wasn't really a problem as during the original run of 3D as auto-rewind platter systems had yet to be invented. All projection was changeover, and most projection booths by this point would have had 6k capability added. Just have an intermission at the hour point and you're done.

What over/under 3D did help eliminate was issues of damage to one eye's print having to be replicated as you noted, also the cinemas that for whatever reason had lovely non-sync projectors that wouldn't keep speed.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Just in case you weren't aware, they host the MPEG2 files on archive.org

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Just to throw the geographical thing off totally, several IGA stores in Perth, Western Australia use the noise on their cash registers.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

I've removed email, internet and social media applications from my iPhone because I found myself in this terrible habit of always going on there when I had even one second of free time.

I am considering downgrading to a flip phone or something. Though, looking on Google, there seems to be a few people doing it, if only for an experiment.

Also loving people on phones at dinner and during a conversation and poo poo. Obsolete technology: manners.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

I feel like I've started a derail, so I'll mention something that's I guess obsolete since people usually have trash cans in their bathrooms now- my house was built in the '50s, and we haven't remodeled the bathroom pretty much at all. In the medicine cabinet is a little slot for when men were done shaving, they could drop the used up razor blade in there I wonder if it's just a drop down into the walls of the house or if there's a little cut out cave in there where I'd find a whole bunch of razor blades from the previous occupant.

Haha, these are amazing when redoing bathrooms. There are photos of people opening up the walls and thousands of rusty razor blades pour out!

edit: put your hand in there...

Ron Burgundy has a new favorite as of 01:43 on May 14, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

It's quite possible that your machine is fine, and the machine that recorded every one of those tapes was running slow. Have you tried a tape from another source?

Ron Burgundy has a new favorite as of 17:35 on May 20, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

You'd think it would be easier to sync this sort of thing... I'd have each machine lay a very narrow sync track along one edge as it recorded, so during playback you could read the sync track and adjust your motor speed accordingly. I guess back when these things were in more common use, most people would have relatively new (or recently-serviced) machines that had been adjusted using a tone tape, so speed drift wasn't as much of a problem.

The upper end stuff had hysteresis sync motors which made this sort of thing negligible, but they do, and will cost you.

Code Jockey posted:

Post pictures of it! Reel to reels always seemed really cool to me.

Speaking of media which comes on reels, somewhere in my garage I have my old 8mm and a box full of old cartoon reels. I wonder if they're worth anything? The reels are in great shape, last I checked.

I bought a massive collection (1000+) of commercial super8 films on a whim and bit off a bit more than I could chew. I have not as of yet been able to get rid of them.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Very nice machine!

Here's my boat anchor

TEAC A-3340S 1/4" 15IPS 4 track with Simul-Sync which was the ability for the record head to playback previously recorded tracks so you could record new material on adjacent tracks while staying in time. Pretty cool stuff, the DAW of the mid 70s.

TEAC used to be pretty awesome before they became a badge for cheap Chinese crap.

Oh my gently caress and the price of 10.5" tape pancakes

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah I was a projectionist too, got out of the game when it all went digital, into IT funnily enough. I do still do fill in shifts very occasionally and hang out at my favourite cinema, a single screen art-deco house that still has film. an absolute rarity on all accounts. I actually posted my own personal 35mm projector in this thread.

Ron Burgundy has a new favorite as of 08:33 on May 21, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Not my retirement fund!

Not sure what's happening with Pham's R2R video, but I thought I'd make one for all the reel nerds. Not sure why the sound is so muffled. Also I just woke up which explains the hair somewhat I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4VkZlLc3z0

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, here's my poo poo video, enjoy my goony voice and ad-libbed narration: https://vimeo.com/66968184

Great video, nice machine. It's kind of sad that both our machines were premium brands, hand-built in Japan, but are now used for badging some pretty mediocre electronics.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Yes it seems weird to me that an XLR adapter would be TRS in the first place, I've only dealt with TS before.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Oh gently caress yeah, line level poo poo. I think I need to hand my audio card in.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Yup Nagras are bloody expensive. Most of the ones in the wild are ex-broadcast.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Familiar Foreigner posted:

Still works other than the sound dial being touchy.

Try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the volume pot and work it in there. That stuff is a miracle.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

All the Silent Steel discs inserted at the same time

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

No one ever remembers Scour.

Audiogalaxy didn't make the list either.

kastein posted:

The DC++ network at my school was constantly being shut down because the netops group was a bunch of nazis.

The DC++ network was so prolific at my college that it was bringing the rest of the network to a crawl so they had to nuke it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

It's a shame so many things like that Casio get gutted for parts so someone can make their clock without buying NOS.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

efcso posted:

It looks like something straight out of a Thunderbirds episode...

You were saying...

The cars were essentially bus bodies on bogies. The loco looks like an Edsel on steroids. Gotta love the 50s.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Axeman Jim posted:

Crap British Trains

Keem 'em coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

I'd say it's a holiday snap rather than a publicity photo.