Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Also, I don't know if this is still true or not, but the cheapo e-machines and whatnot that a lot of people used to buy are basically non-upgradeable, or at least non-self upgradeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

E:nm

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I can't fathom the idea of wrapping a bunch of lamb intestine around my dong and going to work. That's just so grody.

The egyptians rubbed crocodile turds all over their wee obelisks. You be drat thankful for your lamb guts.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

einTier posted:

Sure. I get that. But in the billions of people in the world, that's still a very small number. I don't know anyone else that's seen it.

700,000 (your high estimate of number of people who've seen Cherenkov radiation) / 7,000,000,000 (population of the world) = 0.0001 or 0.01% of the world population.

I am the 0.01%.

OK, it took me a moment, but I do remember these. I was very young though. I think they were only around for a year or two. I remember them not working very well, lots of failures and it was difficult to seal the top properly.

The pull tabs, though, I do remember them. Manufacturing tolerances meant that some were easy to pull and some were fantastically hard. Sometimes the pull would break off in your hand, leaving an unopened can or a partially opened can you still couldn't drink out of. The only solution then was to either churchkey another hole or use a pair of pliers to rip the tab out. I don't think anyone missed them when they were gone.

au contraire

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

German prototype 'Schneekrad' from 1936:

Modern concept of the same (only a render, sadly):

Am I missing something, or would these be impossible to turn?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Horace posted:

This is pretty far from cars AND iPods! Back in the 90s one of my relatives replaced his broken automatic washing machine with one of these, a Twin Tub. These things were very popular in the 1960s for the sole reason that they were affordable.

But this was the 90s and the thing was a relic when he bought it. It offered zero advantages over a normal washing machine. It couldn't be installed under the counter, it had to be dragged out into the kitchen every time it was to be used. The classy plank of wood top (as photo) had to be removed and propped up against the wall before the fill and drain hoses were connected to the tap and sink. Once it had washed your clothes you had to heave all your sopping wet clothes into the spinner tub and when that was finished it all needed putting away again. The final step being to mop up the water that spilled from the hoses.

It didn't last long.

Still very popular in Latin America actually!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Imagined posted:

Turns out a blinking NES is a fix so easy you just need some needlenose pliers and a screwdriver. They didn't even use fancy security screws back then. Just got to clip a pin on the 10NES chip to disable it. The NES's version of DRM is what causes the blinking. It tries to connect to something in the cartridge to verify that it's authentic, and if it can't, it reboots the system and tries again, and tries again, and tries again. For whatever reason, that 10NES connection is way more sensitive than any of the rest of the cart. There are instructions all over the internet. I also got out and boiled(!) the 72-pin connector while I was in there to get it nice and sparkly clean and connecting tight again.

The ps2 disc read error was similarly easy to fix, i had to do it back in the day.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

You can use voice recognition for texting on a smartphone if you don't want to look at the screen.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I always felt that the one thing the TV of my childhood was missing was a show about a crimefighting hovercraft.

Hulk hogan had a crimefighting speedboat for one season in 1993 if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Having a security guard on duty also reduces insurance costs for the company by a fair amount.