Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Dracothegoth posted:

The Samsung juke, during the heyday of when cellphones were trying to be as small as possible.

I have one of these. Well, had. I don't use it anymore. I actually found it the other day when looking for my spare phone charger. I even still have the little earbuds that came with it, the phone is so small it uses 1/16 in. headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
N64 has four controller ports.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

leidend posted:

Outsourcing phone support is rare in Canada. The worst I get is Americans who are much more reluctant to refund/do things that cost them money and have no idea what a postal code is and/or can't understand why I'm not American when I sound like one.

People would make fun of me for my Canadian accent and I'm not even from Canada.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

leidend posted:

Where are you from?

I know every Canadian says this but the southwest coast accent is not very thick/stereotypical e.g. Michael J Fox, Seth Rogen, Cobie Smulders, Ryan Reynolds

Upstate New York, about 10 miles from where NY, Ontario and Quebec meet. Everyone who laughed at my funny talk was from NYC but they all spoke with the typical midwestern American accent.

Edit: So it's not a total derail, today at work I was reminded that we used to (possibly still do) charge twice as much for burning a DVD-R over a CD-R. Even though they cost like 5 cents more. We have probably thousands of blank discs we bought years ago that we're never gonna use. I don't know why we bought so many in the first place, we never used a lot of them to begin with.

Monday_ has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Jul 3, 2014

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Plinkey posted:

Sega also did this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel which was awesome. I had sega channel for about a year or two before it got replaced by an N64. It did sometimes take up to 5-6 minutes to download the 500ish kb games though. Worth the wait.

This is how I discovered shinning force.

I wish my Steam games would download in 5-6 minutes.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I had a Netflix Blu-Ray subscription up until recently because there's a colossal number of films that they have on disc but not on streaming. I only got rid of it to save money. Wish I could still afford it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

WebDog posted:

I recall getting a shock with Half Life 2. Cheap cardboard tray with disks in paper slips with one little postcard for instructions. The way of the future...

That game was ahead of its time in every way.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
One of my friends had XM back in 2004. He put it on the punk station because I like that poo poo, and they played Crass and the Bouncing Souls. Never thought I'd hear those bands on the radio. This was before the days of internet radio, and even slightly before the time when everyone had an iPod, so I guess it was pretty awesome in it's first few years. Definitely a waste of money now though.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Could be the one in upstate New York. Lots of gypsies in that area.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
In my first year of high school we were still using floppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Geoj posted:

I wonder how much of it was "manufacturing QC went down the drain" rather than "everything being sold today is new old stock that has been collecting dust in a warehouse for 10+ years." I used to work for FujiFilm, who used 3.5" floppies for backup data, and any time the software driving the printer was updated or reloaded we had to make a fresh set of backups. From about 2007 until I left in 2012 it wasn't uncommon to have a failure rate in the high 60% pulling from a "new" box of floppies.

Seriously? A real, actual corporation like FujiFilm was using floppies for backups in 2012? Is that common?