Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lowen SoDium posted:

I agree with suggestion A. It would be nice if there was an Auto-negotiate on HDMI like there is on ethernet. And I think that HDMI cables should have the bandwidth rating printed on them or some kind of rating system that more or less matched the HDMI version number.

I am GLAD that they do not use different physical connectors.

also holy poo poo, car talk.

Dunno, we could’ve had a situation like usb micro with extended side wagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

shovelbum posted:

There are literally heaps of working $8 XP era thinkpads all over at least

It’s a precarious situation to put oneself in to be reliant on hardware decades old.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Geoj posted:

This is actually shockingly common in military applications. Partly budgetary constraints, partly "if its not broken don't fix it" and partly "some old hardware is more reliable than new."

For instance, the Space Shuttle (as of its last mission) and the ISS were/are run by 386 systems.

The iss runs on radiation hardened 386’s. An important distinction.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Antioch posted:

Would you call an experimental but ultimately doomed router "Market Garden"?

Name reserved for parachute account.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I cared because it was also the splash screen instead of a desktop per default

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dissss posted:

The use case they showed for that on the ads is you can start the machine remotely if you forget to put it on before leaving the house.

I'm not sure who remembers to load their washer and put the powder in but still forgets to hit the start button but I guess that's their target demographic.

It’s useful if you wanna time your load with when you’re gonna be home

But so would a timer so why didn’t they make that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TotalLossBrain posted:

I have worked at the Waste Treatment Plant in the past. Some portions of the facility are being designed for 300k rad/hr. There are very few electronic components in those areas and the few that are there are very expensive radiation-hardened special versions and heavily shielded. Example: Hardened camera, electronics behind 10 inches of leaded glass. Our cold war legacy is frightening.

why bother if there's no one left to drink the water?