Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Zombie Rasputin posted:

It's been a while since phone systems used the actual tones to dial.

The old tap the hook to dial trick still works at my parents place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Farecoal posted:

What's touch-tone dialing ?

A luxury.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Base Emitter posted:

I miss big chunky keyboards.

You can still get them brand new!

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

Or refurbished.

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

I bought a refurb a couple years ago, and have never looked back. The loudness and annoyance to others is overplayed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

I hate Windows keys. I am that guy.

If you order new, make sure you get one with control in the right place too.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Oh whoa, what? Is this how they used to be? Because drat I don't ever remember that, and I've been using PCs since the 8088 era.

It was always more of a unix thing, I think. Why put a key you rarely use in a easy to hit place on the home row, and a key you use all the time all the way in the corner?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

leidend posted:

Speaking of Expo 86, and to get back on subject, you don't see good McDonald's boat restaurants anymore.

There was on in St.Louis in the 80s. Anyone know if it's still there?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

That reminds me. Does anyone else remember old CRT page monitors? The were monitors that were a very tall aspect ratio meant to be able to display a whole page in a word processor at one time. I can't find any information on what the actual aspect ratio of these monitors were, but it seems like there were pretty close to what a common wide screen monitor is today, but turn vertical. I had seem some that had a rotatable base and special video card that would automatically change the picture to match the screens orientation. It seems that this is a technology that the internet has completely forgot... or rather might have never known about since they died out before the internet came in to wide use.

A lot of LCD monitors do the rotate trick, it pretty much owns.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Does anyone know where to find split flap displays? I've been looking for some to play around with and have been pretty unsuccessful finding any for sale (NOS/Removed from service/etc)

This is pretty similar, not old or obsolete, but cool. It's flip dot, and just listen to that sound. I want to play conways game of life on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oSH-aZKyU8

Brother Jonathan posted:

Before the satnav receiver, there was the Jones Live-Map, first sold in 1909:

Honda did something even more insane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_Gyrocator

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

kastein posted:

^^ every year since what, 1993? has been the Year of the Linux Desktop.

2014 is our year. I can feel it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Blue_monday posted:

What gets me though? That keyboard clits are still a thing.

TrackPoints own ok

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

dissss posted:

Most laptops do have a 100% full sized keyboard - even the little 12.5" HP I'm using is only very slightly off.

This is incorrect. There can only be one

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

The best part about the model M is that it's super versatile if you somehow DO break it. It retains its usefulness in myriad ways. It's a boat anchor, a hammer, a self-defense tool, a riot shield, a car jackstand, and a doorstop all in one! Not to mention its obvious use as a garrote and subsequent free-climbing rig.

Or you can get it fixed at the factory.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Repair

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Geoj posted:

But can you use it as a life raft in the event of flooding?

Hey I'd be on board with 122 key terminal keyboards, but I've just been too lazy to figure out which model I'd need to order from unicomp. Apparently there are three different methods of sending scancodes to the pc. I'd love the extra function keys though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Death to Chiclet keyboards.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Subaru XTs are very much a thing. Niche, but a thing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'd like to recall the Nokia 5185, which is completely obsolete now but was a good solid phone at the time with great battery life, great reception, and an easy-to-replace telescoping antenna that cost about $5 to replace which was great because that kind of antenna was always easy to break off.

I've been meaning to get one of the GSM ones to use again. They're single band, so you'll have to figure out which frequency ATT/Tmobile uses near you, but they're easy to unlock, and easy to fix.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nyw45z9A0

The future is now.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

echoplex posted:

I've been using iTunes since MacOS9

RIP SoundJam MP.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm trying to find evidence of this, and I can't, but I'm sure I tried it at least once.

I could have sworn in the late 90s Yahoo had some short-lived automated telephone e-mail checking thing that you were assigned a numeric ID code and a pass code and you could dial an 800 number and I think it would 'read' new e-mails to you over the phone or tell you if you had new emails waiting.

No evidence but you are correct. I know because I used it as a kid to check my email on road trips from payphones (shut up). It all worked out great until a cop ran up to me and started yelling at me because he thought I was prank calling 911.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

How did he come to that conclusion?

They had received a prank 911 call from that rest stop, and I was a kid on a payphone.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

Part of me misses computer shows. Best Sunday I had when I was 16 involved going to a computer show, then a gun show. In the same building. And buying poo poo at both.

Literally the same, but also a youth group lock in the night before, falling a sleep in the parking lot of the gun show, only to have a friend's fathers wake us up and buy us some brisket. God Bless Texas.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Dvorak owns, literally a professional troll.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I think it was 2001/2002 when I had this setup. It was my big worked all summer, buy a cool phone before going to college thing. Also had Wifi, but you had to remove the phone cartridge.

edit: Also had one of these, a Qualcomm from '99.

blugu64 has a new favorite as of 23:20 on May 6, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Zemyla posted:

I also read fuckloads of ebooks on that thing, typically when I was supposed to be doing something else.

I had one of these HPs during high school, ran dos and windows 3.0. I played a poo poo ton of monopoly for dos in class.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Humphreys posted:

On UMD MiniDisc chat, I was an idiot and assumed UMDs were just MiniDiscs in a different package and actually searched to find a MiniDisc data drive

MiniDisc data drives were a thing

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'm the guy who goes through the glassware section at thrift stores with a blacklight pen, uranium glass glows bright green under UV light. They're usually a dollar or two and they either make neat display pieces with a few UV LEDs or can be flipped for $10 or so on eBay.

Well I know what I'm doing this Saturday.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Good news! Pneumatic tubes are making a comeback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSBS2F9VXaE

Did they just build a water slide for fish?(!)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Fish'n'Slide or bust

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Konstantin posted:

The Classic Mac OS actually had the ability to boot from a RAM Disk, although I'm not sure why you would want to. I guess if you absolutely needed to conserve battery life at all costs it could come in handy.

Yep, I had an old duo that I'd copy a barebones system software and a few applications over to the RAM disk, and then spin down the hard drive for awesome battery life.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember using Dogpile to search like 10 different search engines at the same time. Altavista, askjeeves, Yahoo, jeeze that feels like a lifetime ago.

Google has delivered us all.

They brought goto.com back

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

I remember the DVD cards we used to sell, they were called Hollywood something or other?

They were essentially a hardware MPEG decoder. The king poo poo thing to do was get one running on Linux, and use it to watch the Matrix.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

That's one of the things I loved about living & working in Germany. Friends & family come to visit, and it's the word you reach for. "Don't worry, I've got mein handy with me, just give me a call."

Haven't lived there for 13 years, I still call my phone a handy.

In the us hams call their hand held radios handies or ht (for handy talkie)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

Here's a snippet from my all-time favourite letter that hits on such a thin which was originally published in Big Blue Disk #16 from either November or December 1987.

Agreed

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Spent days trying to get it working with my 486 running Linux, back when I didn't know anything about Linux and getting internet access meant driving down to my parents' office.

Ahh the good old days. Back then the first things you learned to configure was networking and x, so you could hop online and figure everything else out.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

Then there's this. The fact that large parts of classic Mac OS were running under emulation to not break 68k backwards compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_68k_emulator

That came out in 7.1.2, and was mostly fixed with fat binaries by 7.6, and totally fixed by 8.5. When I was a Mac user, Apple was doomed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Chakan posted:

Can anyone talk about BeOS? I recall finding out about it in ~2006 and hearing it was great, but never found out what was so good about it.

BeOS was almost the new MacOS. Power Computing and UMAX even shipped clones with it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

minato posted:

Ah, home experimentation kits, those were the days...

Every kid should get to play with dry ice rockets, and learn to not screw on the cap too much.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Our doctors wear them when they're on duty at the hospital. Given that I think the nationwide pager network was shut down some years ago, I have no idea how they've implemented it. Seems useful, though.

There are actually still companies that will take your money in exchange for a honest to God nationwide pager.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Picture taken just now:

My last job I had a pager, too. I was working as a biomed tech contracted out to almost 2 dozen hospitals in northern New England and New York, mostly in rural areas. Plenty of places with little/no cell coverage. So all the techs had pagers.

I left that job in 2013 and got my current job as an IT tech at a managed service provider. And we still use pagers. a God-damned tech company uses pagers.

Inertia is a Hell of a thing. The issue right now is that the entire paging system is built on an old piece of software on an old server with a whole bunch of logic and filters created over the last decade and a half. We've demoed other systems recently, and no one wants to be the poor sap to go through and re-create all that logic so that we only page on what we want to. As it is, if we just pointed our alert stream at a new system and turned it on, it's be on the level of an "alert" every five minutes, 99% of which are just junk/false positives/informational message only.

Looks like a Motorola Advisor Elite, spent a summer recrystallizing those things back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

AM talk radio supremacy