Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All right then, thanks crabrock, systran, bauxite and Entenzahn- it would seem I'll have to hold off the pretentious bullshit and work on something more straightforward for by next Thunderdome entry.

Just so this doesn't turn into a worthless fluff post, does anyone have any suggestions for good short stories/anthologies that one could read to help get the hang of things? Preferably non-sci-fi or fantasy ones; those are my favourite genres and I'm trying to broaden my horizons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Read Hemingway! His style is incredibly straightforward, but his stories are much more than the sum of the words.

There's a bunch of different anthologies out there, but In Our Time has a lot of his best stories in it.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Sto...+garcia+marquez

some of these are good. some are not so good. others are better than anything else.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Aaand that's overwhelming support for finish the first draft first. Thanks, everyone.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

CommissarMega posted:

All right then, thanks crabrock, systran, bauxite and Entenzahn- it would seem I'll have to hold off the pretentious bullshit and work on something more straightforward for by next Thunderdome entry.

Just so this doesn't turn into a worthless fluff post, does anyone have any suggestions for good short stories/anthologies that one could read to help get the hang of things? Preferably non-sci-fi or fantasy ones; those are my favourite genres and I'm trying to broaden my horizons.

Hemmingway and Marquez are definitely great places to start. I'd also toss a recommendation in for the "Best American Short Stories" anthology that comes out each year. Here's an Amazon link.

You can find ones from a few years back for really cheap in both physical and ebook form. The collections usually have good editors with impressive credentials, and it gives you a broad-spectrum view of the modern short fiction landscape. Single-author collections are great too, but it can be refreshing to see so many different voices once in a while. There's also a reasonable assurance of quality since every story was previously published, then hand-picked and shortlisted for the anthology on top of that.

20 Under 40 is a pretty good collection from the New Yorker, as well. I've heard some people grumble that it's basically just who's-who of New Yorker poster children, and there's definitely a few stories that were underwhelming, but as a whole it's very solid and it does a great job of exposing the reader to authors of different backgrounds.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've discovered the main cause of me hitting a wall when writing and it's this: I always have too complex an idea.

Like at the moment, I've hit the wall at about 4,000 words in a romance piece, which should (by it's nature) be fairly simple to write, but my rear end in a top hat mind has given me a great twist that I've managed to seed so deep into the story that I can't write any more without making sense of one of the characters' motivations.

I have tried writing it out in it's most basic form and moving on, but I've now written everything that occurs after that point, and I need to finish this one conversation and I can't because I suck at dialogue and now I hate myself.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

CommissarMega posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roald_Dahl:_Collected_Stories

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Edit: Woops, sorry guys. Meant to post in the YA thread.

mastajake fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 9, 2014

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014
I'm really interested in poetry...but I don't want to write it, and to be honest I don't really like reading it either.

What I really do like; however, is when I can tell an author is really inspired by poetry or that they are good at poetry and it seeps into their fiction. I don't know all the technical words that describe this, but I noticed when Muffin won Thunderdome a few weeks ago his piece was heavily influenced by some kind of poetry thing.

I guess my question is, how can I create this effect without actually doing poetry? Or maybe I need to bite the bullet and make myself get into it?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Cache Cab posted:

I'm really interested in poetry...but I don't want to write it, and to be honest I don't really like reading it either.

What I really do like; however, is when I can tell an author is really inspired by poetry or that they are good at poetry and it seeps into their fiction. I don't know all the technical words that describe this, but I noticed when Muffin won Thunderdome a few weeks ago his piece was heavily influenced by some kind of poetry thing.

I guess my question is, how can I create this effect without actually doing poetry? Or maybe I need to bite the bullet and make myself get into it?

Muffin is a poetry hugger. I'm sure he doesn't shower and attends poetry slams. The most important part is that he reads and write poetry all the time (filthy hippy) so it's natural that some aspects of poetry seeps into his prose cause that loving ponce is rolling around in that poo poo every chance he gets.

edit: What I'm saying is if you want to be good at something, you have to practice it. This isn't the loving matrix. We can't download skills into your brain.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 8, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Write as if somebody was going to read your story out loud. This helps define a rhythm and prosody to your prose. If something sounds out of place, make it not so. This kind of stuff usually determines if i leave little words in or take them out.

Practice that

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

crabrock posted:

Write as if somebody was going to read your story out loud. This helps define a rhythm and prosody to your prose. If something sounds out of place, make it not so. This kind of stuff usually determines if i leave little words in or take them out.

Practice that

Kinda piggy-backing off this, but I actually find it really beneficial to literally read the story out loud once it's done. I notice a lot more spelling and grammatical errors and it helps me pick out clunky, awkward sentences that need retooling.

"But Gandhi, I have a 100,000 word novel!!! You want me to read the whole thing out loud???"

Hell yeah, I read a 100,000 word novel out loud too and it helped me cut out like 10k worth of completely unnecessary words and sentences.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cache Cab posted:

I get what you are going for, but yeah, you probably aren't going to make much headway if you aren't willing to even read poetry. I don't think that specifically writing poetry is a prerequisite for "poetic" prose style, but you do need to be familiar with concepts of prosody and reading poetry is certainly a good place to start.

Of course, you can also read prose by authors that are noted for their lyrical style. A few that spring immediately to mind: Calvino, McCarthy, D.H. Lawrence, Nabokov, Joyce, and Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald is particularly interesting because he flat-out stated that some of his writing was an attempt to ape the style of Keats' poetry and apply it to his prose. I'll see if I can dig it up, but there was a pretty interesting article that showed how blatant his attempts were in some places. He would pick lines from Keats that he loved the sound of and basically find+replace the words so that he ended up with lines that matched stuff like cadence, stresses, etc.

Obviously you don't have to go to that kind of extreme to have poetic prose, but at a rudimentary level it probably would do you some good to sit down and just tear apart some of your favorite lines of poetry to see what makes them tick. Sometimes an author strings together the perfect combination of words and it just sounds musical. Other times the words are perfectly ordinary but the rhythm / meter are carefully crafted to evoke a certain feeling. There are a lot of different factors at play and it can result in tremendously different styles: McCarthy loves winding, abstract, drat-near Biblical sentences that do an incredible job of capturing mood and painting a picture, while others like Nabokov can write a simple declarative sentence with such precision and insightful choice of words that it becomes much greater than the sum of its parts.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Kinda piggy-backing off this, but I actually find it really beneficial to literally read the story out loud once it's done. I notice a lot more spelling and grammatical errors and it helps me pick out clunky, awkward sentences that need retooling.

"But Gandhi, I have a 100,000 word novel!!! You want me to read the whole thing out loud???"

Hell yeah, I read a 100,000 word novel out loud too and it helped me cut out like 10k worth of completely unnecessary words and sentences.

I read a 120k word first draft out loud and I want to gut myself. Hooray.

For serious though, it helps a lot, even if all you learn is how bad that draft is.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tomorrow is my last day at work, after over twelve years. Some people would panic, but I'm thrilled to have time to finish my rewrite, after working at it for forever.

Even bought a new laptop for the task. Whoomp there it is.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I haven't really written much since starting full time work. Any tips?

I guess I should be writing in my lunch or something. Often I'm just really tired by the time I get home.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

PoshAlligator posted:

I haven't really written much since starting full time work. Any tips?

I guess I should be writing in my lunch or something. Often I'm just really tired by the time I get home.

I found success with forcing myself to go to bed an hour early so I could get up an hour earlier and write before work. It took some acclimation and embracing a coffee habit, but I found I was sharper in the AM before work than after.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Yup, morning writing is much better.. I believe Childish Gambino is a morning writer.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like writing in the evening, around dinner time. It's just a matter of making the time to do it, ultimately. Doesn't matter when, so long as you do it.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Yeah, like other have said, you just have to make time for it. Its simple but its difficult. You gotta say, "okay, from __ to __ everyday is when I write" and then don't let life distract you

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Hungry posted:

I read a 120k word first draft out loud and I want to gut myself. Hooray.

For serious though, it helps a lot, even if all you learn is how bad that draft is.

Oh yeah, I didn't say it was fun, only that it helps.

Also, chalk another up to the morning writing crowd. I get up at 4:40 AM every weekday and write from 5 to 6:30 before doing the whole breakfast/get ready for work routine. On weekends I still write in the mornings but it's usually more around 9 or so since I can wake up when I want and stay up/out as late as I want the evening before.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I just lost the pen drive that had all of my notes and all of my edited work. Should I go back to the rudimentary I have written down and start again or should I abandon my work?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Don't abandon it. And start using Dropbox or (even better) Google Drive, for gently caress's sake.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
always use at least three different methods of saving.

hard drive/thumb drive/cloud is fine

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

but it's sithsaber...

i vote give up

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Thanks for the writing and work advice everyone, I'll get on it. Thinking about doing NaNo this year properly for the first time, which will either push me in the right ways or make me quit writing forever.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

crabrock posted:

but it's sithsaber...

i vote give up

Suicide is an acceptable action of the anhero. Remember that when you're feeling down. :comeback:

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 9, 2014

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014
o hai fellow outcast CCer

I say keep at it. I recently lost the computer a bunch of my older work was on, but as I sit down to try and recover some of it, I realize I am happier with the versions I'm coming up with now. Sometimes a total loss is a blessing in disguise.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

Cache Cab posted:

o hai fellow outcast CCer

You two should collaborate on something.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

God Over Djinn posted:

like chlorine gas

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

God Over Djinn posted:

Why not? That would be better than wasting time on mentally shriveled do nothings. Why are people here so negative?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sithsaber posted:

Why are people here so negative?

a history sparse with hugs and a future devoid of loving relationships

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

crabrock posted:

a history sparse with hugs and a future devoid of loving relationships

That's sad and pathetic.

BYE

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
lol @ everyone

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014

Sithsaber posted:

Why not? That would be better than wasting time on mentally shriveled do nothings. Why are people here so negative?

Because you're not part of the circlejerk that runs Thunderdome.

No disrespect; y'all give some great advice. But it can be pretty intimidating to try and get better when the people who're supposed to "help" are so quick to judge people who don't post right, or don't know the in-jokes, or whatever. Sometimes I wish the SA writing community weren't so tangled up in that one thread.

Again, I appreciate the help I get, but I know full well where I stand around here, and it makes it hard to submit things when I know that it's not just my writing that's going to get torn apart.

*ForumsOldGuy.txt*

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

The Fiction Writing thread cycle sure clocked around pretty fast this time.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:allears:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My book is due Monday and I'm preeeeetty freaked out. I should've had plenty of time but then the narrative encountered complications — a cold, a party, a dead dog, a lot of scenes I realized could be way better. Feeling kinda rough.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Cache Cab posted:

Because you're not part of the circlejerk that runs Thunderdome.

No disrespect; y'all give some great advice. But it can be pretty intimidating to try and get better when the people who're supposed to "help" are so quick to judge people who don't post right, or don't know the in-jokes, or whatever. Sometimes I wish the SA writing community weren't so tangled up in that one thread.

Again, I appreciate the help I get, but I know full well where I stand around here, and it makes it hard to submit things when I know that it's not just my writing that's going to get torn apart.

*ForumsOldGuy.txt*

TDers make fun of you because they would make fun of anyone who A) doesn't read the submission guidelines, B) prefaces their stories with disclaimers, and C) sometimes gets vindictive when they are criticized, usually for A) and B).

So maybe don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Ironic Twist posted:

TDers make fun of you because they would make fun of anyone who A) doesn't read the submission guidelines, B) prefaces their stories with disclaimers, and C) sometimes gets vindictive when they are criticized, usually for A) and B).

So maybe don't do that.

Once I stopped doing that, I became a TD rockstar! I'm gonna live forever!!

• Locked thread