Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Screaming Idiot posted:

comic book writing

I went to a talk recently by a very well-respected picture book writer/illustrator, who also provided me with a critique of a picture book manuscript I had written. I would imagine that the principles are similar.

Giving the illustrator room to innovate was absolutely key- he advised removing almost all descriptive language from the writing, paring it back to the absolute basic action. He singled out where I used the word 'green.'

I'm going to revise the story, and really take a hatchet to it, Gordon Lish style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
here's a cool weekly flash-fiction competition - http://adhocfiction.com/2015/04/about/

Winning gets you a freeroll into this: http://bathflashfictionaward.com/

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Awesome!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I have a lot of trouble with plot, too. In the dome I've been trying to keep it really really basic, but I still struggle.

I'm writing a longer short story using Dan Harmon's guidelines - They're really clear, and seem like a great place to start. Muffin gets the credit for bringing these to my attention.

http://channel101.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Structure_101:_Super_Basic_Shit

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

I was interviewed on a blog about my book!

Nice Beard! Has it helped sales?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I just had a short story accepted for the January issue of http://psychopompmag.com/

Quite exciting, only my second acceptance. It came after 9 rejections!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Thanks to those of you who critiqued 'Morrigan in Shadow' way back, it's up on Clarkesworld today!

Congratulations! That's awesome!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
A story I wrote got published here: http://psychopompmag.com/read/vol-3-fall-2015-summer-2016/issue-10-winter-2016/

Thanks to rhino who helped proofread.

(It's the first one)

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

ravenkult posted:

Congrats.

...and to piggyback on that, drat, charging a submission fee and not paying authors is a new level of garbage.

I didn't pay a fee. They have free submission periods, and I think a year round express thing you can pay for if you're so inclined.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I wrote a story featured in an anthology and it was reviewed mostly favourably on Strange Horizons. I don't know how close that is to getting published by SH but woohoo? http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/2015/11/cyberpunk_malay.shtml (I'm Han)

Congrats!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

quote:

Cursed with supernatural strength and a shortened lifespan, she can’t seem to catch a break even in a New York where demons and magic run rampant.

The word 'even' doesn't really work here. Surely it would be harder to catch a break in a New York where demons and magic run rampant? Even implies that you would be more likely to catch a break in that sort of New York. Do you mean 'especially'?

Also isn't everyone born to die?

newtestleper fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 23, 2016

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
screwed that up royal

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
"Their investigation doesn't bode well"
I'm pretty sure bode isn't used correctly here.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I went to the movie of Neverending Story 2 with my Grandma, and had to leave the cinema when some crazy egg things started spurting fire and smoke.

I wonder how old I was...

Edit: Apparently I was 6, so it's not that embarrassing.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I pile a whole lot on top of each other and call it magical realism

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

blue squares posted:

Hello again fiction writing thread. 'Bout to get started on this badboy and hopefully end up with my final major revision and then I can start working on perfecting all the scenes.

Awesome. Good luck!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I have two stories on the shortlist for the National Flash Fiction Day competition here in New Zealand.

Today I was on a community radio show reading them. Here's a link for anyone interested: http://www.accessradio.org/Player.aspx?PID=22c349a0-f66a-4df5-ac05-1946c0290091&autoplay=false&height=300

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Could you expand on this a bit more? I'm still new to the thread and not familiar with everyone's sense of humor, is this you being negative towards horror, or are you saying I shouldn't limit myself to writing within the confines of the genre?

I think she's saying that if your ideas aren't frightening then why/how are they horror stories?

For example, I have this idea for a great action-thriller where a man and a women meet and fall in love, the night before he goes to war. They have a wonderful evening, but she loses his number and they fall out of touch.

Years later he's a troubled war vet, trying to make a new life as a corrections officer in a small town. Her life has gone downhill too, and they meet again when she's visiting the father of her son, in jail for drugs charges.

Together they learn to love life again, while also struggling with the emotional toll that their respective traumatic experiences have taken on their lives and the lives of those they touch.

It's a modern day tale of love, loss and redemption set in an America where true human understanding is becoming harder and harder to come by...

Now I just need to know where to put in the explosions, car-chases, and gunfights in order to write this action-thriller.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

crabrock posted:

Pen/pencil situation

I think it's all about what you can get away with. Will your audience know that its not factual? Is it something they can forgive because of its lyricism or whimsy? Is it so important to the story that people will even spend enough time lingering on it to worry?

I was in a room where someone read an otherwise very nice flash fiction piece that started with words like "Picture a rabbit, a mangy hare in fact." I was willing to forgive this being very inaccurate, because it sounded quite nice and understood that the difference between a rabbit and a hare didn't really matter to the story, and also that I probably couldn't tell a hare without a rabbit to compare it to. Other people in the audience though thought the piece was completely ruined. The mistake in this piece was unintentional, but I think it demonstrates what I mean.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

General Battuta posted:

There's nothing to bloat your wordcount like a protagonist who pauses after every loving line of dialogue to consider possible hidden meanings, clues about secret alliances, and ramifications for the grand global conspiracy

Thanks for this NaNo tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Battuta that's such a telling little anecdote, and gels 100% with my understanding of how the journal editorial process works.

newtestleper fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread