Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The lack of precision is what gets me about this game. Landing on specific rails and ramps looks kind of finicky. Other than that, the game looks fine.

The soundtrack is also a nice departure from the usual extreme sports game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Man this game seems really fun, I'm going to keep my eye out for it whenever I'm around old PS2 games.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Thanks for the responses. Well, I couldn't make the quality better and keeps everything looking normal, but any change was very very minor. So, I just go on, and we save some animals in this flash-flooded level of Wakeboarding Unleashed.

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 3: Springfield

Text Link

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
A boat simulator? Well, there's this.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Gasoline posted:

Apparently it is a quality bit of entertainment too

(Your definition of quality and entertainment may vary)

EDIT: There's also this if you'd prefer EXTREME BOAT RACING. And Hydro Thunder, naturally.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Disaster skateland? If Skate 4 ever did that (And the main dev wasn't restructured to making online F2P games) they'd be rehashing ideas.
Skate It, Wii and DS spin-off to Skate.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

T1g4h posted:

And Hydro Thunder, naturally.

Hydro Thunder became me favorite extreme sports game after the waterpark near me set up a machine. Nothing better than to play that game soaking wet from a water slide. I'm still praying for a more widespread (or console) release of H2Overdrive.

Otherwise this is the only level I remember playing in thes game. I don't know if I got a demo, or I somehow forgot the other 2 preceding levels, but they're gone.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Gasoline posted:

I knew it! What did I say, there's a simulation game for everything out there.

Though I was more imagining an extreme-tricks version of boat racing using normal open-top speed boats. I'm imagining you go off a jump, the driver jumps up really high in the air while the boat does a barrel roll under him, then he comes back down and that trick is called the kickflip. Basically stuff like that - a JetX20 of boat racing.

Croccers posted:

Disaster skateland? If Skate 4 ever did that (And the main dev wasn't restructured to making online F2P games) they'd be rehashing ideas.
Skate It, Wii and DS spin-off to Skate.

Motherf... ugghh, great minds think alike, I guess. Fine, I guess blanktester's movie idea is more creative. Unless anyone can point me to a movie whose plot actually is "Kid partakes in extreme sports in a post-apocalyptic city" (NOTE: NOT ROBOT FIGHTING, I KNOW ROBOT JOX EXISTS, ALSO I KNOW ROLLER BALL EXISTS, I'VE SEEN IT), basically think of that disney channel movie Brink but everything's dead. Anyways, if someone can point me to something like that, I can throw it in blanktester's face and then watch it.

PSWII60 posted:

Hydro Thunder became me favorite extreme sports game after the waterpark near me set up a machine. Nothing better than to play that game soaking wet from a water slide. I'm still praying for a more widespread (or console) release of H2Overdrive.

That is such a ripoff of Hydro Thunder that it's almost funny. Still looks fun, thouh. Also funny is that one of those links goes to a Hong Kong level, because that's where we're headed after the Florida level. I'm going to spoil that a little bit: I really don't like the Hong Kong level, or rather, one or two goals in it.

EDIT: god drat it "hong kong buoy" is a "hong kong phooey" pun, isn't it

Insetik fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 30, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Once again, if anyone can think of any radical post-apocalyptic extreme sports movies, I really want to tell blanktester how uncreative he is.

Onto this update of WakeUn, we're changing things up by going to an "Exposition" level. Think of the competition levels in the old Tony Hawks like the Skatestreet one or the Marseille level (holy poo poo spelled that first try). No free ride, no gaps (bullshit, I get one), and the level is ever-changing to fit the challenge I'm attempting. Sounds fun? Then come on in, the water's fine...

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 4: Florida

Text Link

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I know that THPS2 had a H.O.R.S.E multiplayer mode but only for points, Skate had one with specifics trick and Thrasher : Skate & Destroy had a best grind/wallride but that was limited to three tries each.
Honestly it would be a pretty nice game to play with multiple people.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ovues posted:

Once again, if anyone can think of any radical post-apocalyptic extreme sports movies, I really want to tell blanktester how uncreative he is.
You mean like the classic James Caan vehicle Rollerball that was later remade with LL Cool J? Or perhaps the sci-fi hockey classic based around dystopian rug-rats harnessing alien forces in Solarbabies. And to a lesser extent I guess you could say Death Race 2000 was an extreme sport of running down pedestrians with themed vehicles.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Niggurath posted:

Rollerball

Seen it.

Niggurath posted:

Death Race 2000

Seen it.

Niggurath posted:

Solarbabies

Haven't seen...wait, what the gently caress? I'm honestly really confused anything with this plot exists. drat it, next update will have a trip report.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
HORSE-style multiplayer does sound like a pretty natural addition to sandboxy-style extreme sports games.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Yeah, but WakeUn wouldn't work for that as well since the levels aren't completely open to explore. I'd say that should stick to games like Tony Hawk. However, I am serious when I say I want my drat map maker. I want to grind loops! GRIND LOOPS! You know you want to see that!

(WakeUn is my official casual name for the game because no way am I typing that out anywhere but in the update posts)

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, I'd like to say i got about halfway through Solarbabies when, honestly, not even kidding, my internet started having problems and went down. So I took that as a sign to just stop, it wasn't very cool or radical at all. Niggurath, I really hope you didn't recommend that based on personal experience.

Ok, time for the fifth level, Hong Kong, filled with restaurant boats, junk, and junk drivers! Along with that, the question begins: what are those letters in the bottom right? Also, I ask whether or not the thread wants to see certain bonus material at the end of the video, so stick around for that, and if it sounds good, post that in here. If it sounds bad, just don't mention it.

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 5: Hong Kong

Text Link

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I waited for the edited version of that video you mentioned.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Ovues posted:

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 5: Hong Kong

A junk is a type of Chinese ship. As for whether or not they were actually cleaning up junk in the harbor, I have no idea.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Major_JF posted:

I waited for the edited version of that video you mentioned.

What? Sorry, the sentence is a bit confusing. I'll chock that up for a vote for the unedited video unless that's not what you mean.

Enilev posted:

A junk is a type of Chinese ship. As for whether or not they were actually cleaning up junk in the harbor, I have no idea.

Thanks, I thought it was just kind of abstract wording for "retrieving/delivering junk" since the boats in the game just look like canoes to me. The ships in that article are probably what the developers were going for.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 5, 2013

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Sigh, I did not watch the 1+ hour monstrosity that was tiny-huge island. I waited for the edited version. So, it is a vote against.

Mooncow
Mar 17, 2009

"This is gonna work!"
I loved the 1+ monstrosity and would watch anything you do as well and the girlfriend agrees so thats 2 for it.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
As long as you don't keep all that stuff in the actual episodes you can do whatever you like with the bonus videos.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Oh sorry Major_JF, I understand now.

Mooncow posted:

I loved the 1+ monstrosity and would watch anything you do

:3:

Of course, I knew I was walking into a :justpost: situation, so I'll "think about it some more" aka see if I have the time to do it. Thankfully it's only 13 minutes of blooper footage. I'm not going to show or render the entire 30 minute hong kong trip, I too was skipping through the THI vid when I watched it. The back half of the game is really lending itself to me cutting out whole 8 minute sections of failure footage, so I might have a lot more to deal with.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Where's the blooper reel of you playing with your feet? :colbert:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Yeah, I think it'd be ok as a bonus thing but not something in the actual episode.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, I asked and then decided to just do it anyways, so here's the bonus footage. I did commentary, which still feels a little weird but w/e. This time I didn't have to stop and restart literally every sentence, so yaaay. Watch if you want, the regular Belize episode will be up in a day or two.

Hong Kong Bonus: The other 13 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyOTkcJWZTc

Also if anyone hasn't heard, the 2013 Awesome Games Done Quick speedrunning marathon has started, and it's pretty sweet. I hope one day to be up there playing Dave Mirra 2, Wakeboarding Unleashed, and many more :downsgun:
http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
On this next episode, we're journeying down south (and then further south) to the country of Belize. After recording, for about 2 minutes, blanktester and I realized we couldn't even remember where Belize was. It's been a looooong time since 5th grade geography, folks. Also, I don't know if anyone really cared in the first place, but we mostly figure out the secrets behind the C L G S letters.

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 6: Belize

Text Link

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think that you were close. But, I am going to guess that a letter appears based on what you just unlocked. You did a new gap get a G. Unlocked a new challenge get a C. If you can scroll through the gaps it is likely that you could make the G go away until you get a new gap.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Major_JF posted:

I think that you were close. But, I am going to guess that a letter appears based on what you just unlocked. You did a new gap get a G. Unlocked a new challenge get a C. If you can scroll through the gaps it is likely that you could make the G go away until you get a new gap.

That might be it. Something this game does is that completing a gap gives you a "gap key" which allows you to look at an overview for any uncompleted gap. So I probably would have to spend them all for the G to go away, and since I never use those, I have about 150. I honestly keep forgetting it's a feature since I really don't have a problem with any of the later "do x gaps" challenges.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Gonna go out on a limb here with some guesses as to the letters:

L: You've unlocked a new level
S: You have unspent stat points
G: You've unlocked gaps or have new gaps to do
C: You've unlocked new challenges

I think the reason the letters (like C) aren't there when you're in the midst of a challenge is that you've already opened up the 'challenges' tab/screen/list/etc so it just assumes you're aware that there are unfinished challenges left to do. I notice that the 'L' is right there when you start this level but I seem to recall it not appearing in other levels until you get that "You've unlocked a new level" message. Too lazy to go back and look though.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Yeah, that looks about right.

Was this game successful at all? It really is one of the better extreme sports games, but as you've said it's nowhere on the internet (Until now).

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

spamman posted:

Was this game successful at all? It really is one of the better extreme sports games, but as you've said it's nowhere on the internet (Until now).

Well, it's not got a Wikipedia page.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

onoflalks posted:

Well, it's not got a Wikipedia page.

The number one indicator of a game's success, and the second indicator is how big its gamefaqs page is. Since the game really doesn't have either, yeah, it's not very popular.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is the rope an actual modeled thing in this game? Like, it snags or you have to let go if there's a solid thing between you and the boat? Or is it just an "if you're pushing the rope button you get pulled toward the boat"?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Is the rope an actual modeled thing in this game? Like, it snags or you have to let go if there's a solid thing between you and the boat? Or is it just an "if you're pushing the rope button you get pulled toward the boat"?

I think it is, because you do have to let go of it if something gets between you and the boat (well, you automatically let go of it). Also, there are physics for having the rope lose slack and drag you along - look back at the count to 5/10 challenge in Springfield where the rope dragged me up a wire and launched me into the air on top of a building.

Along with that answer is another update to Wakeboarding Unleashed. In this one, we visit a few canals in Venice, become suddenly Italian, and blanktester asks about an old arcade game he remembers, so maybe you can help him out.

Wakeboarding Unleashed Level 7: Venice

Text Link

So now we're over halfway through this game and I'm running out of games I know about that I could play for this. So, I'm open to suggestions for other racing/objective games that would fit and would be fun. I know there's tons of "Kawasaki presents Motorider 2003" but I'm looking for games with a little more soul, I guess. Maybe it's a downhill racer with non-repeating tracks, like Downhill Domination or SSX. Maybe it's an objectives game, like Tony Hawk/Dave Mirra/WakeUn. I guess 3-lap racers would be alright, but the commentary might be a bit weak for those. Also, I know about that other BMX game I could do, and of course I know about SSX and Tony Hawk. I could move forward or back a generation as well, though I imagine that if I were to try to do PS3 games like Amped 3 or Shaun White skateboarding, the LPs would be 70 episodes long, but of course I could try it. If you have some, that's great, if not, then I still enjoy all the views/likes/favorites/subscriptions/bribes/backalley deals/'persuations'/follows.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
I mentioned this game a few months ago as well but I think the game MTX Mototrax might work well for this LP. It's objective based like the Tony Hawk games but in-between the levels you go to a big arena for some challenges. There are also motocross/supercross races but I can't remember if you needed to complete those to advance through the game.

Much to the joy of Blanktester it also has a track maker/editor. :getin:

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Clearly blanktester meant the atrocious pile of poo poo that is PROP CYCLE.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ovues posted:

So now we're over halfway through this game and I'm running out of games I know about that I could play for this. So, I'm open to suggestions for other racing/objective games that would fit and would be fun. I know there's tons of "Kawasaki presents Motorider 2003" but I'm looking for games with a little more soul, I guess. Maybe it's a downhill racer with non-repeating tracks, like Downhill Domination or SSX. Maybe it's an objectives game, like Tony Hawk/Dave Mirra/WakeUn. I guess 3-lap racers would be alright, but the commentary might be a bit weak for those. Also, I know about that other BMX game I could do, and of course I know about SSX and Tony Hawk. I could move forward or back a generation as well, though I imagine that if I were to try to do PS3 games like Amped 3 or Shaun White skateboarding, the LPs would be 70 episodes long, but of course I could try it. If you have some, that's great, if not, then I still enjoy all the views/likes/favorites/subscriptions/bribes/backalley deals/'persuations'/follows.

There's always Shox. It's like SSX meets Sega Rally. I remember it actually being really fun, but that might be my nostalgia goggles :v:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Is Kelly Slater Pro Surfer absolutely off the table?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Krokerik posted:

I mentioned this game a few months ago as well but I think the game MTX Mototrax might work well for this LP. It's objective based like the Tony Hawk games but in-between the levels you go to a big arena for some challenges. There are also motocross/supercross races but I can't remember if you needed to complete those to advance through the game.

Much to the joy of Blanktester it also has a track maker/editor. :getin:

Oh right, I forgot about that game. I'll look into it, though the Freestyle Metal X game is also in my eye. Maybe the two can be another JetX20/Splashdown double LP.

T1g4h posted:

There's always Shox. It's like SSX meets Sega Rally. I remember it actually being really fun, but that might be my nostalgia goggles :v:

EA Sports Big, always a good sign. I didn't see any sick tricks though, so it loses points for that.

spamman posted:

Is Kelly Slater Pro Surfer absolutely off the table?

Ha, I'm actually going to talk about in 2 updates from now. Maybe as a bonus 1-video "AAAAHHHH-fest".

And Prop Cycle looks like it's right, thanks for finding that.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What type of console range are we look at here? PC as well?

• Locked thread