Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Not going to lie, that fictitious plot sounded awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

IntelligentCalcium posted:

Haha wow, that one guy looked like a terrible low-poly version of the radio DJ from Jet Grind Radio.

Also the numbers are likely supposed to be the size of the engine in CC.

Oh, so the 125 bikes would probably be lighter and get more airtime, and the 400-600 bikes would be heavier? I still don't really notice a difference in gameplay between the classes, and as you'll all see, you kind of need to stick to one bike (if you're going to buy upgrades) or else you'll have to grind a LOT of cash.

So I have to ask: my new mic is the LP favorite of choice, the Blue Snowball. Yes, I apparently want to have the best LP setup rather than, like, fix my car's radio or buy something else. Anyways, I know I'm a little more critical of things, but does it sound... tinnier than usual to you guys? I know you can find a Blue Snowball-using video in a few threads around here, but it seems like the quality's less full than when I first got it. Now, I am going to try moving the recording to a bigger room and see what that does, but I'd like an outsider opinion, if you can tell. I do like how blanktester doesn't have to be an inch from the mic this time, and how I don't have to reduce a shitload of clipping in the audio file, so I'll be sticking with it, but if there are recommendations to get a fuller sound, I'd like to try them.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 2, 2013

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I'm not sure if it sounds any tinnier, but it did sound much better than your previous setup so you should probably stick with it. And wow, so many corners cut (those poor wolves and bulls and Jeff's enormous forehead) - did the developers only have 6 months to work on this or what? I'm surprised you didn't rate it any lower than 6 for that alone.

Also, thanks for enjoying the fanart. :v:

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010
All of the art and characters so far look like they have fetal alcohol syndrome. The box art also looks like Gilbert Gottfried. What the gently caress, game? You know the whole saying, 'Don't judge a book by its cover?' yeah, well. People do that. People do judge. God drat.

That being said, this game looks actually pretty fun :v:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Hampooj posted:

All of the art and characters so far look like they have fetal alcohol syndrome. The box art also looks like Gilbert Gottfried. What the gently caress, game? You know the whole saying, 'Don't judge a book by its cover?' yeah, well. People do that. People do judge. God drat.

That being said, this game looks actually pretty fun :v:

I judged it by its front cover. My hand immediately rushed towards the game box, grabbing it in one quick moment and shoving in onto the the counter of the local games store. My money was next, being dashed towards the face of the unassuming employee, one dollar bills staining the ground below. It was mine, that face, and I knew from the moment I saw it that I had to play it.

So yeah, sometimes that works out, but only if it's cheap and/or so bad it's good.

:v:

EDIT: :v: :v: :v:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How long does it take to ride between places? It makes it sound like Fuel but more interesting because you can at least do tricks on the way.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

How long does it take to ride between places? It makes it sound like Fuel but more interesting because you can at least do tricks on the way.

Some of the level changes are instantaneous, while in others you need to ride through a tunnel or such to transition. Those are probably for masking loading screens, but hey, gameplay doesn't stop. The whole game isn't really Fuel-huge, but it would probably take a good 5 minutes to get from the back of the first level to the other side of the 'country'.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Ah, so it's more of a Tony Hawk American Wasteland type deal. Says it's one huge world but covers it up with loading tunnels.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Haha wow, that one guy looked like a terrible low-poly version of the radio DJ from Jet Grind Radio.

I was going to crack a joke about how that wasn't possible, but damned if it actually was. :stare:

Were they trying to go for a cartoony look? Because I think they needed some more polygons to really pull it off.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I don't think it's going for a cartoony look, but it's not going all serious either. I think it's just... there. Anyways, on to stage two, which I guess is sort of a city-microcosm? It's not the downtown level, it's just the one with a stadium and a supermarket and a bunch of other stuff. Still, it's more fun than the first level, so yay. If anyone can answer the motorcycle questions I ask at the start, that would also be good.

Freestyle Metal X Episode 2: Villa Brava

Text Link

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

I judged it by its front cover. My hand immediately rushed towards the game box, grabbing it in one quick moment and shoving in onto the the counter of the local games store. My money was next, being dashed towards the face of the unassuming employee, one dollar bills staining the ground below. It was mine, that face, and I knew from the moment I saw it that I had to play it.

That's a pretty similar reaction you have when you encounter food.

I don't really think the game looked cartoony, I think they were just trying to look super XTREEME on the cover and then just kept it going for all the FAS-looking pictures of the area champs, and didn't try to set a real art style for the actual gameplay.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
And we're back, a bit later than I wanted, but oh well. This level looks nice, but first we have to do some very menial tasks as well as... save some kidnapped children. Yeah, you're not really supposed to think of the details behind any of that, because once you do, the horrors start to come out. Anyways, let's ride!

Freestyle Metal X Episode 3: Seaside Smash

Text Link

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
I would love to read some Aggressive Inline fanfiction. It would be like reading a disaster novel, except the protagonist is the one causing all of the disasters.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Grope-A-Matic posted:

I would love to read some Aggressive Inline fanfiction. It would be like reading a disaster novel, except the protagonist is the one causing all of the disasters.

UGH I can only write one at a time, slow down! My Creative Convention thread will be up with the first chapter by 2015 (If anyone feels the need to do their own then please do, I'm drawing complete blanks)

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Ovues posted:

UGH I can only write one at a time, slow down! My Creative Convention thread will be up with the first chapter by 2015 (If anyone feels the need to do their own then please do, I'm drawing complete blanks)

Maybe Blanktester can help...draw less blank...testers.

I think you've gotten to every non tony hawk extreme sports game I can remember outside of Kelly Slater, or the SSX series, and I don't think those are going to see this thread right?

EDIT: Wow I'm not sorry I missed this one. I can't even remember the previous levels I just watched. This looks really boring.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 11, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

PSWII60 posted:

I think you've gotten to every non tony hawk extreme sports game I can remember outside of Kelly Slater, or the SSX series, and I don't think those are going to see this thread right?

Last time I checked, Kelly Slater wasn't there at the store, so I'd have to order it online. Sure, I'm playing up the fear factor, but I remember it being fairly boring, so ehhhh. SSX might be there, at the very end...

There are more games that I remember besides those 2 so, of course, don't give up, :getin:

Also blanktester and I cowrote one thing, ONE THING back in like 2010 and it was baaaaad (well, the serious part of it was). We couldn't even write a rap album, and those are just verses! Then again, I can't write my history books until I write a motocross story, right?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Do the Skate games count as EXTREME? You have the two Amped games on the old Xbox and those Shawn White games on current-gen.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I think it came up earlier in the thread but you should to check out Free Running, if it ever came out in NTSC territories. I think the PSP and wii version are mostly the same as the ps2 one but I don't know.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Hel posted:

I think it came up earlier in the thread but you should to check out Free Running, if it ever came out in NTSC territories. I think the PSP and wii version are mostly the same as the ps2 one but I don't know.

I once again forgot that existed, thanks. I'll try to remember it this time.

Anyways, moving on now to level 4, A Storm of SwordsSnow (poo poo I already made that joke). This video is sure to entertain as I go against this level's... questionable moments and abuse level geometry to make things easier. All in all, great video, lovely level.

Freestyle Metal X Episode 4: Snow Stormer

Text Link

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Frozen clowns. Welp.

Man this level was like if SSX had dirtbikes and was also a very bad game! I particularly enjoyed how it was a beautiful sunny day without a cloud in the sky and constantly snowing heavily.

So are you going to rank all the games you played vs. each other at some point in the thread?

Edit: Hahahahaha those rocks

Melondog fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 14, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

So are you going to rank all the games you played vs. each other at some point in the thread?

Nah, I'll just crowdsource that. You guys have got this, right?

Yeah I'll rank them, it'll be fun to see my list compared to what others think

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

On a scale of 1 to 10:
-XTREME!ness
-Actual fun to play
-Control/Tricking/Playability
-Graphics/Sound/Music/General developer 'effort'

Or something like that?

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

On a scale of 1 to 10:
-XTREME!ness
-Actual fun to play
-Control/Tricking/Playability
-Graphics/Sound/Music/General developer 'effort'

Or something like that?
I'll forgive you for not using the only relevant rating scale, which would be Ovues' X-TREME-nitude Scale (OXENS). Of course the units of individual measurement go far beyond what is listed, but for convenience sake we can give it a base ranking of 1-10 OXENS which would translate from being Totally Bogus to XTREEEEME!!!
    1: Totally Bogus
    2: Terrible
    3: Phony
    4: Crappy
    5: Tame
    6: Decent
    7: Tricky
    8: Gnarly
    9: Sick Nasty!
    10: XTREEEEME!!!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was almost a decently-done map, right up until the destructible wall showed back up for the race.

Well, and the ladies standing out in the snow in bikinis. But those are par for the course.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Hampooj posted:

I'll forgive you for not using the only relevant rating scale, which would be Ovues' X-TREME-nitude Scale (OXENS). Of course the units of individual measurement go far beyond what is listed, but for convenience sake we can give it a base ranking of 1-10 OXENS which would translate from being Totally Bogus to XTREEEEME!!!

I want to say thanks for coming up with a much better acronym than mine, I came up with BIGSHITS (don't ask) so yours is much better. It will obviously need to go to 50 OXENS, so I'd get a 1990s slang thesaurus and get to work if I were you.

Also by the way, I'm happy and thankful that everyone is supporting my effort to write the first ever self-published Freestyle Metal X fanfic, I'm up to 3 words now and I'm making great pace to finish a paragraph by 2020.

Glazius posted:

That was almost a decently-done map, right up until the destructible wall showed back up for the race.

Well, and the ladies standing out in the snow in bikinis. But those are par for the course.

I still feel that it should have been bigger, and it just doesn't seem to flow as well as the other levels. The other mid-game levels all have two exits to two other levels, but Snow stormer only connects to Seaside Smash, and even then it's a really sudden change. I keep trying to find a second exit from Snow Stormer just because I feel like it should have one, but it seems more unconnected as well. I have a feeling that if I could get on top of the map in other places, I could ride into another level while above the map, but looking over the side while glitched on top of snow stormer, there's nothing out there next to it.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 15, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Oooohhhh boy. I honestly don't know where to start for this level.

This next level more than surpasses the anarchy and murder we did in Aggressive Inline. It more than surpasses the weirdness of Razor Freestyle Scooter's ending credits. It is an experience that you should not miss. Also I'm adding a new level of viewer interactivity that may or may not be a one-time only joke depending on if it really adds all that much. I've included some gifs for your entertainment, and if you really want to see just how any of that could happen, the video link is at the bottom.

Freestyle Metal X Episode 5: Downtown Dysfunction Down Syndrome Destruction Man-rear end Whip Downtown Destruction

Text Link

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Wow, that, uh...

That sure was something.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
This level really reminded me of the Civic Center level from Aggressive Inline.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
After decimating whatever city we were in (Insetikville?), we flee and head to the desert until the heat blows over. There, we are given more objectives as we push even closer to Johnny Demonic.

Freestyle Metal X Episode 6: Skull Valley

Text Link

So yeah, this game has definitely grown on me since I began playing it. It's not even a "so bad it's good" enjoyment I get, more like a "bad but fun" one. Are there any games that you feel the same way about - bad but fun? Games that would never be an example of quality, but which you can't help but enjoy playing? FMX is that game for me.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

I had a game on my original xbox way back in the day called 'Whiplash'. No, not the racing game; this one was about a weasel using a rabbit on a chain to smash the everloving gently caress out of anything and everything that got in the way.

No, really.

It wasn't 'good' by any measure, but by god it was fun. Really ought to drag out the ol' box and see if it still works. Maybe even LP it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

I had a game on my original xbox way back in the day called 'Whiplash'. No, not the racing game; this one was about a weasel using a rabbit on a chain to smash the everloving gently caress out of anything and everything that got in the way.

No, really.

Well, you weren't kidding. Game looks very very weird.

I would fully support an LP of it.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I think Sonic Heroes is playable, and I wouldn't say it's a very good game, but damned if I don't like it. Could just be the fact that it was the first Gamecube game I owned though...

Although I consider it a great game though, I think F-Zero GX could also go here, because on the harder difficulties, the game is ruthless and drat near impossible. I guess what I'm saying is the game is only bad on the hardest difficulties but pretty much perfect when not. Argh. I'm surprised I never broke a controller playing that damned game.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
My favorite bad but fun game is Samurai Western. There are only a handful of maps that you replay through several levels, a limited number of enemy models but an insane number of enemies to fight at once, and subpar graphics. But it is a lot of fun dodging machinegun fire and cutting people in half so that they drop entire cooked chickens. A lot of the levels can get crazy fun. The game also has a huge number of unlockables. That said, I don't think an full LP of it would work well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite 'bad' game is Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010
I love Final Fantasy 12 and think its a great game, albeit flawed. Probably the Judge Dredd game I just lp'd really fits the bill of this for me, though. It was pretty bad, but also really good and surprisingly fun.

Bad but good/fun games are pretty much my absolute favorite, though. So I'm pretty bias. There are so many.

I'm anxious to see how many OXENS this game will get.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, in the future I'll post an update question whenever something in the game makes me pause and think. I'll just ask another one that has been inspired by all the questionable moments in this game, like me rescuing a bunch of caged children from a predatory deviant in Seaside Smash and DIRECTLY KILLING SOMEONE in Downtown Destruction. The question is: What questionable, out-of-line, unexplained moments from games have made you go "wait, what the gently caress"? Maybe I'm looking too deeply into this. As I said at the end of the Skull Valley video, it's sometimes fun to look 'too deeply' into things and imagine the stupid messages the developers are 'telling us'. Kind of like how every fictional story, in some way or another, is just a dream (ok actually that's annoying and dumb).

Endorph posted:

My favorite 'bad' game is Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman

Am I right in thinking that there is absolutely no way the actual game could ever stand up to that intro? If I'm wrong, well, for the PS2 I own 20 extreme sports games and zero of anything else. That may have just changed. :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ovues posted:

Am I right in thinking that there is absolutely no way the actual game could ever stand up to that intro? If I'm wrong, well, for the PS2 I own 20 extreme sports games and zero of anything else. That may have just changed. :getin:
It's a bit sloppy in places, and it's a PS1 game so it's not exactly great-looking or seamless to play, but it's actually a pretty good brawler.

Granted, nothing can stand up that intro, but it's fun to play and the cutscenes are all kind of great. I wouldn't call it a hidden masterpiece or anything but it's great to just sit down and be Johnny No More. Also it has the best super-mode theme ever.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 23, 2013

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Ovues posted:

The question is: What questionable, out-of-line, unexplained moments from games have made you go "wait, what the gently caress"? Maybe I'm looking too deeply into this. As I said at the end of the Skull Valley video, it's sometimes fun to look 'too deeply' into things and imagine the stupid messages the developers are 'telling us'. Kind of like how every fictional story, in some way or another, is just a dream (ok actually that's annoying and dumb).

Pretty much everything in Metal Wolf Chaos, but that's more due to being violently Japanese and poorly translated than anything else, I think.

Fake edit: A bunch of gibberish about games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KOTOR, etc where actions meant to be 'good' are sometimes horrible, or trying to improve standing with a given NPC having completely wtf effects instead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm not sure if it's regarded as a bad game, but I've heard a lot of whining about it so I'll venture Epic Mickey as a game that isn't the best, but I'm having a lot of fun with. It's largely due to how Oswald is portrayed. He lives in a cave on Mickeyjunk Mountain, a literal mountain of broken down Mickey Mouse merchandise, the entrance being a lunchbox. In his inner sanctum he has a small museum case at the back of his office, with a single Oswald the Lucky Rabbit plushy that he treasures above all else. It's made very obvious how bitter he is about Mickey's success when he only got three cartoons before being retired and forgotten, however he hasn't let it corrupt him. He has built a place called the Wasteland where all forgotten characters (Clarabelle, Horace Horsecollar, etc) are welcome and content. My favourite thing about it is that he has also built an exact replica of Mickey's house in Ostown, complete with (non-functional) car, which could be saying one of two things: "You may have forgotten us, but we haven't forgotten you, you are welcome here if you ever need somewhere to go" or "You aren't better than me, you will be forgotten too someday".

The gameplay isn't the strongest but I come for the excellent world building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
My friends and I once spent like 9 hours playing one mini game in Fusion Frenzy. That game had like three that were totally compelling for some reason.

Actually, Cel Damage was a lot of fun too when you had a few people there to play it.

• Locked thread