Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Actually, I want to see you show off at least all the other characters and their pre-game animations, like how Ajax was doing basketball before getting on a bike out of hammerspace. And I'm enjoying this LP so far as well, so keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Never played Freekstyle either, but I wouldn't mind co-commentating. Skype name is marina.beltran.llave.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Well, that was a thing. :allears:

Also, it was a nice little touch that the game actually bothered having animations for fallen civilians when you or other racers run them down - that yellow-shirted guy flailed his arms and legs up like he got punched in the gut.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Nice way to finish off Downhill Domination with that bonus rider, though I'm a bit saddened that you never unlocked the other riders or showed off their leaping-off-the-mountain animations. Ah well, c'est la vie.

So what's the point of stretchy limbs again? Is it just to extend the range of punches and kicks or just a funny visual effect like bighead modes for other games?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Just curious, what song was playing in the first half of that video?

Also, you should show off your avatar being run over by those double trains in a bonus update. And I thought blanktester's joke involved the word "squeakquel". I have bad hearing sometimes...

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Dang, that custom map was absurdly hilarious! It's like a comedy of errors, where the errors involve breaking your spine on every inconveniently crooked, non-grindable surface every 10 seconds.

And the Mirra 2 game...it feels like an unfinished beta compared to Aggressive Inline. Like the floating, hard-to-control physics that seemed aimed to make you fall into a bloody mess every minute; the relatively bland environments and character models; just everything in general feels like more work could have been done on it.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
That was...something.

I hope you show off every character falling to their deaths at least once. Thanks again for braving this new world of adver-like games.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Man, you just like never run out of these neat-looking, outer fringe extreme games, huh?

On a side note, what happened to your RADICAL scale ratings? Or is that only for games you've played before and not just the new ones?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Huh, was expecting the credits level to be more than just ramming a boat through billboards and having a time limit of an hour to do so.

Also, I was inspired by that Ocean World wackiness and this thread deserves some fanart.

So here's Anonymous Wakeboarder doing the world a favor and showing that mascot what for:

And in an alternate universe, the managers finally found a better-looking mascot based on Zippy and decided to stage some faux-charity boxing match for some of the more hardcore fans:

Thanks again for doing this sweet thread and LP and may you continue gracing us with many more extreme sport games that aren't pro skating!

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I'm not sure if it sounds any tinnier, but it did sound much better than your previous setup so you should probably stick with it. And wow, so many corners cut (those poor wolves and bulls and Jeff's enormous forehead) - did the developers only have 6 months to work on this or what? I'm surprised you didn't rate it any lower than 6 for that alone.

Also, thanks for enjoying the fanart. :v:

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I don't mind the experiment, it's always a blast watching you and blanktester try out all these obscure, mediocre cash grabs. And graphical glitches are always the best glitches. :allears:

Just curious, is there multiplayer in that boredom/adrenaline game?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Given all the glitches, I'm surprised the game is playable as it is and that you haven't fallen through he ground or anything, even with the obtuse controls and unintuitive ways of completing certain objectives. Maybe you'll uncover even more broken-ness once you guys unlock Free Mode and explore the crap out of that level geometry, who knows?

In terms of guest commentators, why not get Alan or Tinker back? As for me, I feel like I'd do a better job lurking and spontaneously providing fanart when you least expect it (or whenever my muse strikes me).

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Or how about this: IntelliegentCalcium, BioEnchanted, Serious George, and Daigerus - you all form your own team, I'll send you the un-commentated videos, and you deliver me the comedy gold that follows.

Actually, I might be up for this, if at least one of the others is also on board. We could be like an Extras Edition, acting as a counterpoint to I&B's brand of commentary or something. Though like blanktester said, it might feel too much like outsourcing, but that's just me.

Also:

blanktester posted:

4 to 6 person commentary would be ridiculous

Ovues posted:

comedy gold

Why can't it be both?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
That looked like a fairly decent level, though the constant cutaway to cannons shooting got rather grating. Also, I'm mightily disappointed that Animal wasn't some mutant animal-man like a shark or a bear to live up to his name. I mean, if they can make time travel work, why not do some horrible genetic experiments on the side?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

blanktester posted:

We are also accepting cover-art and booklet art for the Toxic Grind 2 cover DAIGERUS??? , if you don’t feel like writing your own story. Hell, a theme song would blow me away.

So get cracking, all three of you who watch these!

What am I, some kind of magical art-related genie here to grant your every wish? Well, sorry to dash your expectations, but I only got this crappy sketch thing instead, so there. Like, if Toxic Grind really wants to be extreme, then it needs to ditch the bikes and be more truthful to its actual title. Like it needs some actual toxic grinding, and oh, let's make them (suggestively) naked too to drive up those ratings. Cause that's what that game really needs. And hexagons.

seriously the rampant, excessive violence was the only good thing about the game

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I think you should do that for all future multiplayer videos, just to visually metaphorically drive home the point on how bad these games are (or are not sometimes).

As for being in a video again, I'm afraid I'll have to pass - I'm just embarrassed listening to my awkward voice and I felt like I wasn't really contributing much in the few times I joined in. I'd rather just lurk mysteriously instead and fart out the occasional fanart now and then, if that's cool with you guys.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
These retsupuraes of reviews of obscure games are always gold material. :allears:

The system looks interesting, because you can try to perform rad tricks without risk of failure or interruption, but on the other hand, the risk mostly comes from being targeted and bombarded by every power-up possible, so the main strategy comes from taking out the other players first and racking up health power-ups whenever possible. Also, apparently, getting first place can net you gold medals that unlock special features? Maybe you could show those off for bonus videos?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

What causes you to do a trick is going off a ramp and hitting the pink powerup at the top of it. It's not like I push buttons to trick. Also, hitting those pink powerups causes more powerups to spawn on the track.

The other riders also respawn like I do, so if I took them all out I'd just be in first and getting shot with everything again (not like that stopped the game from doing that when I was in third or fourth or fifth). I guess I'm not really sure what this 'strategy' you talk about is, because this game has no strategies.

Really? That makes doing tricks seem almost like an afterthought then if it's done automatically like that. And when you put it that way, the game feels like a crapshoot. As if the game is too frantic and chaotic to properly keep track, having too many power-ups when most similar games would space them out.

Ovues posted:

If it seems like a problem to people, I could do the videos in regular race mode instead. I just think that the points makes it a bit more exciting and fun, but I see that if you didn't know how the tracks went, you wouldn't get a super clear picture with all the points. Thoughts?

The power-ups were a bit distracting, yes, but not enough to block the view of the tracks, in my opinion. I'd say to just keep going with what you have.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Too bad you're not going for all the gold medals, since I think you could upgrade the riders and their health and their effectiveness with power-ups which could go a long way to netting you gold medals (I'm assuming anyway, since it'd be time-consuming at worst), and that Coco Z girl you unlocked looked like you could fully upgrade the last two powerups all the way, or something. Too bad there isn't a cheat code to to unlock the secret character, but there is one for Super Boosts, for whatever it's worth.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Glazius posted:

A surfing game is kind of an interesting contrast, because you can't really throw obstacles at the player the same way you could with a skating/biking/snowboarding game. It's just the wave and the challenge of landing tricks, and I suppose that's the only place they could really go to make the game hard.

It'll be interesting to see how that holds up in later levels.

I'm sure the game designers could have found some plausible obstacles in surfing, like say surfing in a dangerous storm, or surfing with lots of whirlpools, or surfing and trying to jump over ships. Maybe throw in some sharks, killer whales or dolphins if they really want to up the extreme-ness in surfing. Or maybe add some gimmicks like surfing on your hands, though that's probably pushing too far into the realm of silliness.

But you bring up another good point: given the nature of surfing, you can't really afford a variety of different environments either unlike most sport games, since it always has to be in a sea.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Up next: 2 more levels of Kelly Slater! As a side note, Kelly Slater probably shouldn't introduce a level with "someone straight up died here".

It's probably one of the more exciting things in the game, if it can be counted as such. And I still watch your guys' videos; I just don't know what to say most of the time, given I know nothing about the intricacies of surfing. On the other hand, I do love the Spanish intro and outro.

blanktester posted:

Why not? Is that too XTREME for you?

In other news, since we're on a surfing game, turns out that someone named Carlos Burle rode the biggest wave ever surfed off the coast of Portugal, yesterday. So... good on him. The pics are actually pretty impressive.

I do hope the game itself can produce waves just as big as that. And also throw in as many civilians on tubes/kayaks/boards as possible at the same time. Also, who in blazes would ride kayaks out in the sea?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Glazius posted:

I like that being able to count on a consistent view angle lets them put up these nice sunrise and sunset effects, since you're going to be spending so much time looking at them.

Indeed, I'm more surprised they didn't throw in any lens flare. Also, jumping turtles now? Every water-based extreme sport should start throwing in sharks and killer whales now!

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I think this game is secretly an educational game, given how one of the tips is "Some sharks grow back their teeth every eight days." and how the J-Bay intro talks about beached sharks. Not quite what I meant when I said I wanted sharks, but good effort, game, I guess?

Also, I'm probably thinking too much about this, but how fast are these boats going if all these phones are like made with the expectation that you would be there within a few minutes? In addition, I would have been more humane and tranquilize the living lamb to make it easier to saute, but that would probably negatively affect the flavor of its meat.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

blanktester posted:

Seriously. More of the game should have been like this.

Agreed. Now I wanna hear Kelly Slater talk about time-travelling and chilling with Tiki gods. And if the game was going to be that extreme, they should have thrown in a shark as a substitute surfboard. Shark-surfing on lava, yeah! :dance:

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I guess it shows your skill when you're still earning a respectable amount of points despite that horrible camera stage. Maybe all that practicing for the Video Shoot stages in Wakeboarding Unleashed paid off?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Hope you did well on your finals! :)

And back on topic, that Bermuda Blast was a surprisingly exciting level for being the first one, especially with the contrast of scenery and the chaos ensuing everywhere. Dino Dominion felt tamer in comparison, I was kind of expecting meteors on the last lap or something.

You think the memorization of button inputs for the Tier combos would be more well-received if they were shown during the huge jumps, like how Bust-A-Groove shows which buttons to press for a certain move or so, instead of actually having to memorize them?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
That was certainly some Insetik-less commentary. And those wipeouts and backflips are just sheer epicness in the making as well. :) Other favorite moments include: "Attack of the BLA's", game design chat, and that realization that some of the tracks took place underwater which is either stupid or awesome or both (but killer orca whales will always be awesome).

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I really do like how they embrace the cartoony aspect, instead of just using it as a medium like other certain "extreme" sport games. The cutscene animations could be better, but the execution of those negative reaction appeals is just superb, and the game seems to let you easily connect them together, like the gigantic boobs bouncing you everywhere.

And yes, I was also thinking you could interact with that loading screen mini-game, maybe try pushing buttons to see what happens.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Apologies for not posting much, but while I'm still enjoying these videos, I can kind of see the repetition coming in. I think it would have helped the game to add in one or two events where there was more emphasis on tricking, or at least penalizing you for using those negative reactions. Or maybe slightly tweak the mechanics so that tricking would increase your multiplier, while the appeals would only increase your base score, which would definitely make tricks more useful for that 1 link-appeal event.

As for how to make battle events more manageable and less frustrating, I was originally thinking that event would have worked better if it was a free-for-all event, but then the player might break the system by waiting the chaos out till there's only one or two NPCs left with low health to go and finish them off. Then again, later levels have less opponents in general, so maybe that would have worked out better?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
It's kind of funny you didn't know where the Pinch Appeal was for that last stage, because you start out in the same room with it - it's the doors leading into the kitchen, which you did once a couple of minutes in the video beforehand. I kind of remembered because I found it noteworthy that particular Appeal gave Sally a frying wok on her head and I think I was curious on what kind of Appeal that was and saw that it was Pinch. Case closed! :dance:

Also, dream sequences should be done more frequently! Really enjoyed it.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Basically, I forgot that appeal was a pinch and I forgot it existed. There. I said it! And my whole speech was about IGNORING my bad gameplay! Please, guys, please.

Sorry, didn't mean to make fun of you on that. I'm still loving this long-running LP you got going on, and it's always fun whenever you try new, unexpected stuff like that dream sequence and bringing in new commentators. Maybe it's just me, but bringing in Tinker was like a stroke of genius that injected a lot of fun into your guys' commentary, but that's just my two cents.

You don't have access to a Kinect, right? Would have been neat to see you do Adrenaline Misfits - it's got like the cartoony aesthetic character designs of Hypergrind, but the bland, generic environment/gameplay designs of most "extreme" sport games, based on what few videos I could find of it.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Tombot posted:

Maybe if they ported it to the playstation2 or Xbox more people would have been aware of its existance and played it. It looks like a decent game for its flaws but I think a more Tony-Halk-like aproach instead may have carried it further if they could have pulled it off.

Gotta second this. Sure, the game seemed to do a fine job encouraging the player to explore the levels more via chaining off appeals for score and looking for certain types of appeals in that Simon-Says mode, but a lot more could have been done in creative ways and certain mechanics like swinging on poles just didn't have a lot of opportunities to be utilized. And I wouldn't have minded other gimmicks thrown in like "boss" battles to mix things up, but maybe that's just me. I do like how there's replayability by unlocking and buying new items for customization, at least.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Now, in the video, you hear me summarize my thoughts on the game, but I want to hear what you think. This game is definitely not worth 60 dollars. Obviously. But do you think Nintendo should give it another shot? Even if they didn't update anything, would it be worth it for Nintendo to put this game on its marketplace for digital download?

And if not, what should they implement to make it worth doing so? Because it's a fun game. Nothing in its mechanics is dragging it down. It's just that there's not much there. So what else should have been there?

Maybe throw in more opponents during the racing AI portions? Or add more personality to the characters by adding cutscenes or perhaps an actual story to give more context to these races aka a story mode? And I'm not sure if Nintendo should give it another shot, because as it is, it's not really all memorable. The damage system feels kind of tacked-on and unnecessary, since there's no incentive to stay undamaged outside of making new time records. Even if this game is competently done, it just lacks a sense of charm, but maybe that's just me.

Maybe add more colors to the courses. At least the difficulty bumps make their courses slightly more unique and I do like that cutscene to showcase that you're actually outracing an avalanche.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
As weird as this may sound, Evolution Snowboarding looks more fun to play than Hypergrind, even though the latter had a lot more to offer in terms of character and environmental design.

Evolution Snowboarding has a lot more replayability, what with aiming for the best ranks in each mission, unlocking new stuff and grinding for points to increase your stats. And at least it does a lot more with mixing things up by adding actual combat to the genre of racing, and there's integration of gameplay and story - granted, the story is a bit cheesy and out there and full of gaping plot holes if you rub two brain cells together, but at least it justifies why mooks are constantly up your grill and why you encounter the occasional bosses. It also has the decency of giving you guest characters to experience the core of the gameplay at its best instead of making you work for it like what most games of this genre do, while also making it so your custom character can't be completely neglected once you found something better for storyline missions like the boss battles.

I'd liken it to watching a Saturday morning cartoon: it's not exactly thought-provoking or well-polished, but you can't deny that you were entertained for a good while and you're most likely to watch it again if you wanna just relax and have fun.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Trivia time! That last level you guys played with the kitschy music and cartoony seals and fish and flags, it's all a reference to this old game on the Famicom called "Antartic Adventure", which I've actually played and apparently Konami did this as one of their first games. It was kind of fun for its time, though it had no real ending or anything.

Here's a video for further proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm2e_0tjZDc

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
That was beautiful, in a trainwreck-y kind of way. Looking forward to more masterpieces like that. :)

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Downhill Domination
Evolution Skateboarding
Xtreme Bowling
Both of the Razor Scooting games

Ovues posted:

No haha guys don't worry I didn't die, see I'm back here with anoth-

...oh, that's not what you said. Define trainwreck? If you mean yet another game, well, I think it's time to get one rolling.

Ha! Get it? It's a pun! Let's Play Whirl Tour

I just noticed that Whirl almost sounds like World. :v: And only you can make trainwrecks get rolling into an art style.

Ovues posted:

Whirl Tour Level 1: Castle (WILD COMMENTARY with Tinker & Friends)

Text Link

Aw man, now we'll never hear the end of whatever Tinker was trying to say. Or maybe it's better left to the imagination - brilliant!

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

blanktester posted:

Dude, what if it snowed in Whirl Tour?

Actually, that would be an interesting thing to see. I mean, there hasn't been an extreme sports game that incorporated more than one extreme sport. Imagine if you had a transforming sports gear that could accommodate for different terrain commonly found in sandbox games - snowboards for actual snow/boarding stuff; a jet ski/surfboard for watery areas; motorcycle (or scooter, whatever, gotta still keep this connected to Whirl Tour somehow) for places that require upward mobility; and skateboard/roller-skates for general convenience.

Granted, that would make for a schizophrenic, unbalanced gameplay if done poorly, but we've had mixing of genres that's resulted in pretty awesome stuff and lots of great sandbox games, so why not extreme sports too?

Also, thanks for the shout-out and enjoying my old art stuff, you two - more extreme sports need more goofy mascots to smack around for objectives.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

And you're welcome for the shoutout - if it ever strikes you to do anything else based off this thread, we'd love to see it.

I've been meaning to do something special for you guys actually, but I'm kind of busy with a lot of stuff this June (but not busy enough to keep up with your videos, I always make time for them). I'll see if I have more free time to do art stuff once July rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Welp, that was a thing. I think the best part was your reaction to the abrupt, random end of the video. And the impromptu Niko Bellic impressions. And apparently the coining of the new meme "Bombs are heaven!".

• Locked thread