Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
HAPPY TWO-YEAR ANNIVERSARY, THREAD!

Celebrate it right by read ilmucche's amazing story featuring this thread's favorite characters across all the games we've done, Splashdown 3: The Ballad of Amman Ra. Read along as the ancient king of bling himself must return back to his own time by challenging some of the toughest enemies in extreme sports and getting a little help from a few other modern-day legends.

READ THE ENTIRE STORY HERE

********************************************************************************

:siren: MOST RECENT VIDEOS :siren:

Smashing Drive: The Full Saga

Text Link

Petz Dogz 2 (April Fools 2015 Video)

*********************************************************************************

:siren: GENERAL INFORMATION :siren:

Over in the main games forum, Tony Hawk HD came out and is making everyone all nostalgic for ten years ago. Unlike them, ten years ago I was not playing Tony Hawk and was instead playing pretty much all the other games involving riding around and doing absolutely sick tricks on various bikes or boards. From various snowboarding games like Shaun Palmer and the SSX series, to bikes with Freekstyle, Downhill Domination and Dave Mirra, even to wakeboarding, jet skiing, snowmobiling, all that stuff. None of those other games got as popular as the original skateboarding series, but here I am in 2014 and still going. Will I ever run out of games? Maybe. Anyways, join me as we get RADICAL IN THIS THREAD!

So what will the LPs be like?
I’ll go through the single player modes, usually showing off a level per video. If the game is about doing various goals in the levels, I’ll try to do them all, and if the game’s just about beating levels and advancing then I’ll do that. blanktester (NO CAPS) is my buddy and he's pretty much with me all the time. I usually do over-the-internet Skype commentary as well with a variety of guests. Interested in becoming part of the 47 crew? OK! Apply on skype. Find me at "insetik fortyseven".

What do you think about spoilers?
I really have no idea if you can even spoil these games. None of them have a plot Some of them have really stupid plots, and all of them are really just a collection of levels. So you can pretty much say whatever in this thread, unless that becomes a bad idea and I modify the rule.

What is your schedule for the LP?
I’ll try to get one out at least once a week. Usually it's 3 to 5 days between updates. If I take more than a week, then that's really wrong and weird.

*********************************************************************************

:siren: THREAD SENDOFF GAME :siren:

Cars are your enemy (and so are the pedestrians) in Smashing Drive!

What is this game?

Smashing Drive is an arcade game ported to the Xbox and Gamecube in 2002. In it, you are a taxi driver trying to make your way to the destination without running out of time. That's all you care about. No amount of ambulances, firetrucks or schoolbuses will stop you from getting those powerups and blazing your way through New York City. There are three sets of tracks, an Easy, Medium, and Hard set, and then a bonus set if you do well enough. I didn't do well enough. Ahh, who cares about that, though?

Also, the music that plays over the three sets is so weird, but is mostly covered up by our talking. That is what, in the videos, I have annotations to the music when I reach the next set. I strongly encourage you to listen along. Now, let's get to it and smash this town.

Smashing Drive: The Full Saga

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
******************FANART******************

Daigerus was inspired by my trip to Ocean World in Wakeboarding Unleashed:

Daigerus posted:

Also, I was inspired by that Ocean World wackiness and this thread deserves some fanart.

So here's Anonymous Wakeboarder doing the world a favor and showing that mascot what for:

And in an alternate universe, the managers finally found a better-looking mascot based on Zippy and decided to stage some faux-charity boxing match for some of the more hardcore fans:

Meanwhile, my commentary buddy blanktester shows us that Jonny Moseley Mad Trix are for kids. Or, I guess it would be 'is' for kids in this case...hmm

blanktester posted:

IntelligentCalcium posted:

If I were any good with photoshop, I'd do like, the Trix rabbit really pissed off on a pair of skis.

Mad Trix, get it? Ohhohohoho, etc.

While we were coming up with a plot for Mountain Bike Adrenaline AKA 'Hill Bike Boredom', Serious George lays down an excellent front cover. For context, uhh, go to page 21.

Serious George posted:

IntelligentCalcium posted:

I've got it! Skier X is the one who made it snow everywhere in Johnny Moseley's game! He's in league with Demonic to ruin XTREME SPORTS forever! The scooby doo gang has to collect all the gold metals before Skier X buries them under permafrost; going with BioEnchanted's idea, the mountain bike kids then have to use these medals to revive the fallen Xtreme Heroes that have been placed in an icy stasis by Skier X and Demonic. Together they shred and skate in an event SO XTREME it warms the Earth back up to normal and restores the glory of XTREME SPORTS.

Starring Willem Defoe as Demonic and Gary Oldman as Skier X. In theaters XTREME-mas 2014.

I feel like this is one of those stories where the villains totally steal the show.

Then, Daiger gave us this for our 'give Toxic Grind a better plot' challenge.

Daigerus posted:

What am I, some kind of magical art-related genie here to grant your every wish? Well, sorry to dash your expectations, but I only got this crappy sketch thing instead, so there. Like, if Toxic Grind really wants to be extreme, then it needs to ditch the bikes and be more truthful to its actual title. Like it needs some actual toxic grinding, and oh, let's make them (suggestively) naked too to drive up those ratings. Cause that's what that game really needs. And hexagons.

seriously the rampant, excessive violence was the only good thing about the game

Later, Daiger discovered blanktester and I's secret identities.

Daigerus posted:

For the record, it all began with this innocuous image I found in the depths of the interweb:

What I didn't know was that this image was linked to a website, which had long been shut down by the time I've compiled this post, so what you're about to see is the best of what I've recollected together and assembled after several incidents of being chloroform'd and fighting off cyborg ninjas down uneventful mountain bike trails, which may or may not be related to me uncovering said conspiracy.

People of the internet, I present to you the true(ish?) story behind Insetik47 and blanktester:

And last, someone on deviantart whipped up another sick album from our Splashdown boy Amman Ra! Man, some of those diss track look intense!

Fanart done by JacobTaylor13, in case you were interested in seeing the rest of his page.

***********ONE-SHOT GAMES***********************************************************

Sometimes, blanktester and I get really lovely extreme sports games and do one video showing them off and making fun of them. Here are the collected games:

NRA Gun Club: Youtube
Gravity Games Bike: Street Vert Dirt: Youtube
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding: Youtube
AMF Xtreme Bowling 2006 Part 1: Youtube
AMF Xtreme Bowling 2006 Part 2: Youtube (highlight of the year at 10:00)
Wave Rally: Youtube
MYSTERY GAME: Youtube
Razor Racing: Youtube
Carol Vorderman's Sudoku: Youtube
Disney Extreme Skate Adventure: Youtube
Winter International Sports 2002: Youtube
Snocross 2 Part 1: Youtube
Snocross 2 Part 2: Youtube
Snocross 2 Bonus: Youtube
Snocross 1 Part 1: Youtube
Snocross 1 Part 2: Youtube

***********FULL-LENGTH GAMES***********************************************************

NOTE: Due to the sheer amount of games, I will be linking to playlists now to save space in this post. Good on me for not reserving a third post. I did not expect this to get so big. At a maximum, the playlists are 15-20 videos long and 2-3 hours. None of these games are real time sinks.

Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder (this first game's video are a little bad, watch if you want but these aren't up to par with the other game commentaries)

What is this game?
Shaun Palmer’s Pro Snowboarder is a snowboarding game released in late 2001 and published by Activision. It is an attempt to bring the style (and popularity) of the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games to snowboarding. In part because the format simply doesn’t work as well as in the Tony Hawk games, and in part because lightning didn’t strike twice for Activision, the game never achieved much of a following, and this remains the only entry in the series.

Playlist: YOUTUBE

***********************************************************************************

Downhill Domination

What is this game?
Downhill Domination is a mountain biking game made by Incog Entertainment, the same developers of Twisted Metal: Black. It is very arcade-y and extremely unrealistic, and it’s not as punishing as it seems. Sure, if you don’t know what’s coming up, you’ll be in for some trouble, but if you do remember, you can weave through the obstacles with more ease.

Freekstyle

What is this game?
Freekstyle is a motorcross game developed by EA Sports BIG, makers of the NBA/FIFA/NFL Street Series, as well as SSX and some other extreme sports games. Gameplay consists mainly of races around several courses, trying to win first place at the end.

Jetski Power Hour: JetX20 and Splashdown

What are these games?
JetX20 is a jet skiing game developed by Killergames. I have no idea what else they made. Splashdown is a jet skiing game developed by Rainbow studios, who made the MX vs ATV games and pretty much nothing else. JetX20 is pretty much SSX but on water, whereas Splashdown is a circuit-racing game, so each race has three laps around a course.

JetX20: YOUTUBE
Splashdown: YOUTUBE

Agressive Inline

What is this game?
Aggressive Inline is an extreme inline skating game published in 2002 by Acclaim. Of course it rips off the early Tony Hawk games. However, it does some things like removing the time limit and talking to people for objectives before the Tony Hawk series added those, so it does deserve some 'originality' respect. Also, the levels are massive and part of each level is locked off at the start, so I'll need to return to those levels when I unlock the other parts of them.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2

What is this game?
Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX 2 is a Tony Hawk-ripoff game where you're on bikes instead. There are eight levels, and all of them have their own sets of challenges, as well as an unlockable competition, obtained by getting respect points by completing challenges and gaps.

Razor Freestyle Scooter

Wh... wha...
Razor Freestyle Scooter is an EXTREME SCOOTERING game released for the Playstation 1. I think it was sold in stores, but it honestly feels like it should be a freebie game included with your purchase of any color Razor Scooter. Enjoy anyways, it's a short ride.

Sled Storm (PS2 version)

What is this game?
Sled Storm is a snowmobiling game released in the middle of the whole extreme sports craze by EA Sports BIG. It took a PS1 game that was also called Sled Storm and intensified it for kids hot off of SSX. Even if you never played it, if you liked Freekstyle and JetX20, Sled Storm will be your thing.

Wakeboarding Unleashed

What is this game?
Wakeboarding Unleashed is probably the only wakeboarding game ever (ok probably not) and it came out along with all the other Activision O2 games in the early 2000s. What separates it from other games, like say, Shaun Palmer, is that it's actually fun and when you do something that looks cool, you do sort of feel badass.

Freestyle Metal X

What is this game?
Freestyle Metal X is an XTREME take on motocross, offering the player large areas to ride in, free of loading screens, and the best metal you've ever ridden too. There are level-based challenges to do, as well as Big Air, Freestyle, and Race events in each area. Scattered around the area are collectibles, like cash, posters, Daredevil mode tickets, and stat points for your rider.

Jonny Moseley Mad Trix

What is this game?
Again, desperate to cash in on the ongoing Tony Hawk/SSX trend, another game company went and aquired the rights to make a video game out of an extreme sport. In this case, 3DO went out and got Jonny Moseley, 1998 Winter Olympics Moguls Skiing Gold Medalist, to be the face of a skiing video game. Well, turns out, this game is baaaaaaad. Floaty tricks, strange strange STRANGE physics, a high level of difficulty only compounded by all the physics poo poo you'll come across, a strange sense of speed that leaves you feeling really slow, minimal effort put into the levels, and a bunch of other smaller stuff.

JMMT Intro: Youtube (Worth it for all the weird poo poo in it)

Hill Bike Boredom Mountain Bike Adrenaline!

What is this game?
Mountain Bike Adrenaline is a game that I bought just because it looked so absolutely generic that I wanted to see how generic it was. However, turning around and looking at the back of it, blanktester and I were BLOWN AWAY by how apparently good the graphics would be. Obviously, not only did the graphics lie, but the game wasn't up to par either.

ESPN X Games Skateboarding (Part 1 in the Rick McCrank Trilogy)

What is this game?
ESPN X Games Skateboarding is a game made by Konami that tried to capitalize on the skating game trend at the time. Players take control of cool dude Rick McCrank or seven other random riders to go perform at the X Games and hopefully get those sweet gold medals. And you know me, man. You know I've got my sights on those gold medals.

Evolution Skateboarding (Part 2 in the Rick McCrank Trilogy)

What is this game?
Evolution Skateboarding is the skating game that Konami actually wanted to make. At least, I think so. Each character has their own Arcade Mode path of 6 levels (out of the 15 total), but also objectives will be slightly different for each character. If one person goes to a certain level first, they'll have a few easy goals to do, whereas if another character goes to a certain place last, they'll have more goals that will be harder and objects might even be in different locations. Also, this game has boss battles.

Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2

What is this game?
Mat Hoffman 2 is part of Activision's line of extreme sports games. You get to choose your level progression (somewhat) in single player mode, and the single player takes the form of a 'road trip' that the main riders all go on, doing sick tricks together across the US.

Toxic Grind

What is this game?
Toxic Grind is a BMX game unlike any other game. This game follows a ridiculous story of a future where extreme sports are illegal and a game show where those caught doing them are faced with the ride of their lives. Running out of 'subjects', the man in charge of the show is looking to the past to steal talent from when BMX was first on the rise. With the plot aside, Toxic Grind is still a game where you ride around levels completing challenges and doing sweet tricks. However, here, the levels are full of traps and are more over the top than many of the levels in other extreme sports games. Also, it has a ridiculous plot and awful voice acting.

Arctic Thunder

What is this game?
Arctic Thunder was an arcade game released by Midway, and is obviously similar to Midway's games Hydro Thunder and Offroad Thunder. Like those, Arctic Thunder is a fast paced racing game, and this one has a ton of weapons and such to use against your opponents to get to the finish like before they can. It was ported to the PS2 and Xbox, and I'm playing the PS2 version.

Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer

What is this game?
Kelly Slater is a 2002 surfing game released as part of Activision's O2 lineup. As part of the Activision O2 lineup, players can expect the game to be technically competent, but it is also fairly unique due to being a surfing game. You are able to use all parts of the wave to get points, including riding through the barrel of the wave, carving on its face, or jumping off of it into the air for some sweet halfpipe action. It does have a very steep learning curve, however.

NOTE: Cutscenes for levels are included as bonus videos

Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild

What is this game?
Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild AKA Splashdown 2 is a watercraft racing game developed by Rainbow Studios and published by THQ. The major thing about this game is the eight levels in its "World Circuit", which are all designed like they are theme park rides, with new attractions and events constantly happening in the background and the levels themselves changing up slightly throughout the race. The game also improves the tricking system from the original game some, though the more complicated tricks are still much more randomly laid out than they should be.

Go! Go! Hypergrind

What is this game?
Go! Go! Hypergrind is a skateboarding game set in the toon world, where cartoon characters of all types live. The 'plot' of the game is that a studio is looking for a leading actor in their new show, and you are one of many hopefuls trying to get the role. The main feature of the game is how your character interacts with the level using the "Negative Reaction" system. Find the right objects or hazards in the level, and you can get your character's head cut off or get them drenched in paint or set on fire or flattened thin to keep your combo going.

1080 Avalanche

What is this game?
1080 Avalanche is a snowboarding game released for the Gamecube. It is the sequel to 1080 Snowboarding for the N64.. In this game, players unlock new levels by competing in various difficulties of 'challenges', which are basically rounds of new races in a row. Otherwise, there are time trial races, one or two trick-based events, and a standard multiplayer. The soundtrack is one of the highlights of this game, with a bunch of songs created in-house in a bunch of different styles that bring the number of total songs up to 40 or so.

Evolution Snowboarding (Part 3 in the Rick McCrank Trilogy)

What is this game?
Evolution Snowboarding is the snowboarding version of Konami's skateboarding game Evolution Skateboarding. The world is in peril, as evil forces have flipped the weather around and thrown humankind in disarray. You, the player, are the only one who can liberate the world, bring the forces of professional snowboarding together, and stop this sinister plot.

Whirl Tour

What is this game?
Whirl Tour is a 2003 scooterin' game published by Crave Entertainment. It takes on the standard Tony Hawk style of levels, where the character must ride around doing objectives to get to the next level. You start the game as Wasa B, the roadie of the band Flipside. In the opening cutscene, the band is sucked into big green portals by an evil scientist, and it's up to Wasa B to hop on his motor scooter and find them. After you destroy the transmitter in every level, you get the chance to rescue a bandmate and slowly return everyone to their original realm.

Airblade

What is this game?
Airblade is a hoverboarding game made by Criterion. In a confusingly distopian future, a company named GCP has developed anti-grav technology and one of their workers, Oscar, has put it into a hoverboard. He steals the board and brings it back to his apartment, where GCP comes looking for it. You are Ethan, one of Oscar's roommates, and you have to steal the board and trick across the city in six, count em, SIX whole levels to stick it to the man.

Dark Summit

What is this game?

Dark Summit is a snowboarding game developed by Radical Entretainment and published by THQ. In it, you are an agant trying to figure out what's going on on Mt. Garrick and why the Government has shut it down. To do so, you become a member of the banned snowboarding community (instead of the just-fine-skiing community?) and get to work. Not like all the acid pools would immediately tip you off.

X-Bladez

What is this game?
X-Bladez is another PS1 sports game published by Crave. If you liked watching the Razor Scooter games, you will like watching this, because it's basically the same thing. There are six levels that you first trick down to 'qualify', and then a race event. The tricking system blows, and the racing AI tries its best to take you out. So...par for the course.

Crusty Demons

What is this game?
Crusty Demons is a motocross game based on the real-life stunting group, the Crusty Demons of Dirt. Yes, this is a licensed game. In Crusty Demons, the titular group has sold their souls to the devil to escape death after a big crash. To win back their souls, they must go across the world and do the devil's bidding in various locations. These usually end up meaning 'do dumb objective goals' or 'beat level tricking records' or 'smash your face into something really REALLY HARD!!!1!11!1!"

Smashing your face into stuff is the name of the game here in Crusty Demons. What sets it apart is its bailing system, where you try to rack up as many points and as many broken bones as possible after a crash by controlling your guy in the air. Bailing actually does have a point here - getting a big crash will fill your nitro up much faster and could rack up a lot of points.

Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding

What is this game?

Amped is a snowboarding game, and was launch title game for the original Xbox. Afterwards, it was released separately in 2002 and has become a Platinum Hit game for the console. It spawned a minor series with two sequels, though the third one is probably the most popular due to it being really really wacky.

Meanwhile, the first Amped game is much more grounded in reality. The tricks are standard grabs and flips, the riding feels pretty normal, and...yeah. Don't expect to get monster air by falling down whole cliff faces or grinding in loop de loops, except for when you do so on accident. Also, this game has one MAJOR fault that will end up dragging quite a bit of it down - the hidden landing bonuses that you need to rely on, which the game does not tell you anything about.

Amped 2

What is this game?
Amped 2 is an Xbox-only snowboarding game. Create a character and run down several mountains, aiming to get high scores, do level-specific gaps/tricks, and compete a bunch of recurring challenges. The game is centered around its style system, where tricking slower than normal gets you bonus points for your trick. You may do spin/flip styles, grab tweak styles, or rail tweak styles. All of these boost the points you can get from a trick, but add a fair deal of risk to them. The game feels tight and you can get a good flow if you know what you're doing. While just riding around, it feels smooth and enjoyable.

However, when the game asks anything of you to work with precision, it becomes a hot mess. The Photoshoot challenges, where you must follow a narrow path while meeting a score requirement, feel unplaytested or feel like they were beaten once and given the green light. The Pro challenges are made harder, where you can only miss 2 tricks before you fail, along with...another restriction, as we'll see. There was at least one moment per level where I stopped having fun, and some of the later challenges were absolute torture. I can not say I liked doing this LP. Still, some people really like this game, and like I said, when you're not trying to follow "the perfect line", the game can be a lot of fun.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 1, 2015

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I have SSX Tricky and love it. If anything, I'd want to do that whole series. Maybe I'll use it later, but I already have the second game picked for now. Again, something a little more off the radar.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

An Actual Bear posted:

Will you be doing the Wakeboarding game that got released in around '03 or so? I remember playing a demo for that when I was about 10, can't remember what it was called though. Wakeboarding Unleashed maybe?

Wakeboarding Unleashed! I played that so much. I'd love to, but I'd probably have to order it off the internet. There was a swamp level, and a waterpark level, and... that's all I remember. Anyways, I'm releasing the next video soon because the thread needs a boost, so look out for Aspen Snowmass coming tonight.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Heren posted:

Good to see this thread materialize! Much better video this time, looking forward to the rest of the thread.

Also I appreciate you covering games that were a little more off the radar. It's always neat to see games you may have never even heard of before. Tony Hawk kicked off so many imitators and even legitimate games in the same genre a lot of them may have gotten lost in the crowd.

Although hopefully not all of them are as much of a direct copy of Tony Hawk 3 as this! I'm still rather appalled Activision did so little to change anything, and in fact even took features out! The one thing I noticed this game had that Tony Hawk didn't were the "Bonk" tricks, you mentioned them briefly but what are they exactly?

The second level requires you to bonk to get one of the goals, and look what I have here...

Level 2, Aspen Snowmass

Hope this explains new things. I go into the soundtrack, and into some of the moves that you have to have down by this level, and of course go for multiple goals in a run. If you liked the format more like episode 1 where I did a run for score only, then logos, then tackled the unique goals, well I'd appreciate feedback but I'm scared I'll run out of things to say. Post comm, man.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 20, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
If I were to break up the goals into videos, I would have 2 videos per level - an uncut score-based run and then somewhat-edited other-goals videos. There are one or two levels where it's tough to get multiple goals in a run, but many of them I can do like Aspen, which only took a few runs. I'm thinking I'll keep going as I am, since it might be a while till I get to another goal-based game.

For the third level, I'll keep in mind that I don't have to talk every 5 seconds. That'll be about all that's different.

If the thread stays slower like this, I'll try to put out updates faster. Gotta supercharge this :siren:EXTREME THREAD:siren: yeah no it's not working

Insetik fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 20, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Probably won't do the Cool Boarders series. Those were out a little bit before my time, and I never played them. I have some of the ATV Offroad Fury games, does that count? (I seriously was the most extreme kid)

I can think of 5 or so games I really want to try again and maybe show off. After that it gets to "ehh, maybe" territory so we'll see then.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Zaodai posted:

How about Aggressive Inline? Calling it a poor man's Tony Hawk's Pro Skater would be an insult to Tony Hawk. And the poor.

Why does this place look so familiar:psyduck: I thought I never played it, but...

When I thought "co-comm" I imagined finding someone to actually be in the room with me, but I've already learned like 10 new things to start these LPs, so it wouldn't be too bad to learn recording and syncing Skype tracks.

Iggy Johnson posted:

Just found this thread and am enjoying the vids. Your commentary is pretty dry but it's grown on me. I loved playing Tony Hawk, like any preteen boy, and never really dabbled in the other EXTREEEME games of the era. Glad to see this thread.

Yeah still working on that. I'll take the advice I've gotten so far on the third level. That should be out at least tomorrow.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Yeah I'd probably have the other person record themselves, then be like "ok, we're counting down from 5 and starting". I think I got that advice the tech support fort, but I can't be sure.

But also, today we're going to the one place Tony Hawk didn't go! The backcountry! I have no idea what a skateboarding backcountry would be! Shorter update than normal because I do one less run down than usual.

Level 3: Kirkwood

Also I added the intro to the game to my OP. Making the level intro pics is pretty much my first real effort using image editors. I'll be a computer wizard by the end of this LP.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 22, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Heren posted:

It seemed like you had snowboarding experience yourself ever since your test post but I think this is the first time you explicitly said it in a video. Do you have anything interesting to say about your experience? If you do multiple snowboarding games, it would be neat to hear how each of them compares to snowboarding in real life. I'm guessing Shaun Palmer’s does not resemble snowboarding much at all seeing as how it's practically a copy of a skateboarding game, but I don't know if any other games come closer.

Hah, I don't have much real life experience with it. I'm not near any mountains or snow parks at all, and all the snowboarding I've done was 8 years ago or so when my family would drive 2 hours to the nearest 'ski resort', which was mostly fake snow anyways. I was awful at it, but we only went there one day a year so who knows, I could've gotten better. Literally any snowboarding game is more wild and easier than what I remember doing.

I'm pretty much in routine now with videomaking, so the problems should start going away. Hopefully.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Coming back with a brand new update! This time we're doing some city riding in my second favorite level of the game, Heavenly.

Level 4: Heavenly

(The absolute inability to read "lake tahoe" is in the game, not just my capture card. Your computer monitor would need to be a 60 inch TV to make that legible.)

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 22, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
It is a step up, but the level progression isn't a consistent "get better then get worse". Quality varies from level to level, but like I said, nothing is bad. At worst, it's bland. I'd say the back half (barring the next level) has the best levels, and the final level is actually really cool. We'll get there in a week max.

Guess it's time for me to start practicing the next game. :dance: For anyone worried about me being really dry (which is apparently just my thing, considering I thought in the last vid, I was more emotional), I'll probably try a co-comm, all-the-way-through style for the next game. I don't think it has as many goals, so there will be less for me to explain through like I'm a programming manual's audiobook.

The irony of being the least extreme person ever is not lost on me. Why else do you think I lived so vicariously through these?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

That snowball escape was actually somewhat inspired.

Really this feels a lot less like a cash-in game than a lot of modern cash-in games.

Extreme sports games seem more 'immediate fun' than other genres, so that masks the cash-in feeling. Maybe there are very few ways to deviate from the norm in a genre like this. I'm basing my 'cash-in' feel off of the surge of games in all sports that came out '99-'02. Harder to stand out in a crowd than by yourself. See; Pure, a pretty good ATV racing game that came out in 2008, but it's pretty much been the only game like that out there recently so it gets even more attention. I'd like to play that, but I don't have a modern console anymore. If I did, that might be another game in the series.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Guys come back! I got a new episode! G...guys...guys?????

Level 5: Snowbird

(Is the "snowbird" in the logo picture crooked? Wtf game)

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Relax, boi, y'still have an audience! :)

Anyways, never really played most of the spinoff XTREME sports titles by Activision, but one stuck out in my mind because it hates me and wants me to die. Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX. Balancing in Tony Hawk? Nooo problem. Shaun White? Sure, that doesn't seem too hard...

Matt loving Hoffman's Pro loving BMX? Hope you're a living spirt level, mofo!

Anyways, this is a roundabout way of saying I'll be watching. :D

I played the Dave Mirra games instead of those, which had a bit different of a goal progression than Matt Hoffman. Looking at gameplay of the first one Matt Hoffman game, that is even more of a Tony Hawk reskin that Shaun Palmer.

While I did go on sort of a tangent in the previous level, I have played these levels a dozen of times before recording each, so things look easier. I only say it because it's possibly true, but I may be the best SPPS player in the world :stonk:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Tombot posted:

is there a perfect ballance cheat? I'd like to see you (or sombody) grind all the way down on the ski-lift.

There is, in fact. You have to get all 72 sponsors with 4 or 5 characters first though.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

So how much trickin' can you actually get in on that crazy drop through the fog? Can you do so many spins they run out of degrees?

Well there is a super spin cheat as well so i guess it's time to just figure out what the limit is :haw:

EDIT: Well with half gravity and super spins on, I still didn't reach the limit. I got up to a 4860. That's 13 and a half full spins. There are some equal or bigger jumps later on in the last level, maybe then I'll try again.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 24, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Another day, another update. Only 2 more levels to go after this one. I never really thought about having a bonus video... Cheats might be okay but there's nothing too game-changing in there.

Level 6: Squaw Valley

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Heren posted:

It's a shame the game doesn't allow you to customize more things, like character movesets. You have used special tricks very well throughout the game, especially getting a ton of points off of huge jumps. Do any of the other characters have any specials that really stand out? In the Tony Hawk franchise special moves started out as real tricks but got more and more ridiculous as the series went on.

A few of them reach pull-a-foot-off-the-board levels of over the top, but none even come close to some of the stuff pulled in the SSX series. Most of the flip specials are like our character's, two or so moves combined into one special. Most of the grabs are a bit larger than life, but not that much.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

The random open-air ice rink was such a strange touch.

Yeah, and it would have been better if the whole thing wasn't surrounded by a wall that made it tough to get into. Still, it's nice if you can get a good transfer from ramp to ramp.

Level 7 incoming today.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Double post, yeah yeah, a new level wherein I do more real talk about serious game design. And get points.

Level 7: Mt Hood Meadows

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Hmm, well, I'll try holding the mic to the side a bit. The puffing was something that I didn't really notice while doing commentary.

Desfore posted:

Holy crap, I haven't played this game in forever. I loved Shaun Palmer's snowboarding, it was one of my first PS2 games.

If you at all remember, were the goals I complain about as tough to figure out for you as they were for me? I know I don't have much sense, but I'd like to hear if I really am bad at game logic.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Flare_knight posted:

Also I'm going to reinterate these massive scores you get are leaving me dumbstruck. 10,000 points was usually an awesome trick for me in Tony Hawk. You got 300,000 at once.

:blush: Well, this is a bit slower paced than a Tony Hawk game, so I have more time to react. Seriously, speed these videos up by a fourth or by half, and then it's like a Tony Hawk game.

Desfore posted:

To be honest, I could remember how to do all the level goals up until these two, and the next level's. (But that's because I don't remember what the goals are off the top of my head)

For the last level, there's a man, a bridge, and a train. Maybe that will jog your mind. If it doesn't, just wait a day or two.

Also, :hellyeah: just got a HAUL of games for this series from my local used game store... 5 games for 30 bucks. This isn't the worst of hobbies. Also, that means that maybe after the next game, you guys can vote on the third game. That really brings people in to post.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 27, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Two of them, in fact :haw:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Major_JF posted:

Just caught up with the LP and it is funny that the inputs for the special moves look like fighting game commands.

I had so many problems doing those as a kid. I always thought you had to press all five on the D-pad rather than just spinning through it on the analog stick. I literally never did a special move when I played this back when it came out.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, this is it. It's been a fun ride.

Oh, I'm not leaving, just finishing Shaun Palmer.

Level 8: Gotcha Glacier

And with that, it's one game down, more to go. I recorded this right after I did level 7, so the mic may still be a bit messy. Don't worry, because the commentary for the next game is going along smoothly, and it will be more robust, and more entertaining than my single self here. The first episode of that will go up in a few days. I'll post a little teaser for the thread. If anyone figures the game out...uhh...yay?

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 28, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Lucinice posted:

Is it weird that this thread is making me want to get Tony Hawk HD?

They're nostalgia trips, these LPs. And so is Tony Hawk HD.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Six Of Spades posted:

It's basically the extreme sports version of Rainbow Road; and are generally equally awesome. Although if there's an extreme sports game with the final level actually set in a psychedelic outer space area, that would be doubly awesome.

Skate Heaven :haw:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
New game time. To Flare_night and itotaku: Yup, it's a biking game. Mountain biking, though.

Game 2: Let’s Play Downhill Domination

What is this game?
Downhill Domination is a mountain biking game made by Incog Entertainment, the same developers of Twisted Metal: Black. It is an extremely intense game, requiring fast reflexes and good play as you dodge all the obstacles in your path that can take you out. Along with its fast-pace racing is a basic tricks system borrowed from SSX, and a combat system that you can use to get ahead. Nothing like bullets, rockets and missiles though, just punches, sticks, water bottles, etc. It is very arcade-y and extremely unrealistic, and it’s not as punishing as it seems. Sure, if you don’t know what’s coming up, you’ll be in for some trouble, but if you remember what’s coming up, you can weave through the obstacles with more ease.

Races are divided into three types: Freeride, which are races down massive courses that often last 4-5 minutes, Mountain Cross, which are more intense, short races where every jump and turn counts, and Technical Downhill, a mix of both, with many obstacles to avoid and making a path requires split-second decision making. Naturally, with my horrible reflexes, I crash a lot.

What are you changing for this LP?
Unlike Shaun Palmer, which had only me doing commentary, now I am assisted by my friend blanktester. I play the person who explains the game to him, and he plays the person who derails us for a minute or two. Hopefully our buddy chat lends itself well to just watching the videos; the only goals here are to win the races, so I don’t need to be walking you through the game every second. Also that’s because even after playing the game for a bit, I depend on luck a lot.

There are 9 mountain ranges, but not all of them have all 3 races. At first, I’ll pick Super Career, where I go through every race in the game. Along with that, there are Specialized careers, where you can play a shorter career featuring only one of the three race types. They’re the same races I’d have already done, though, so I may not go for those. If I set up live streaming, maybe I can do those in a stream. At the moment, the LP will last 9 episodes and only show off Super Career.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how RADICAL is it?
8. It’s extremely intense, and extremely fun. However, sometimes there’s just too much poo poo to dodge. With the incredible speeds the game gives you, it really needed to open the courses up a little more. Some of the levels are good, but others are absolute pains. But for intensity, yeah, it ranks up there.

EPISODE GUIDE:

Area 1: Mount Midoule

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

itotaku posted:

I knew it was BMX, simply because I think if you are going to do a motocross game its going to be something really "special"

Yeah, most motocross games are just racing games, even though they usually try to have generic tricks in them. I probably won't cover "Motocross GX 2002 Feat. C-List Pro Rider 5" because there's so many similar ones. There is a motocross game I'm looking at right now that I'll probably kill myself trying to beat again :suicide:

If you want to look at gameplay of all those older racing games that I probably won't do, the youtube channel GamerXZ95 has lots of videos. I'm still the only one offering up full LPs though ;)

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

mrbasehart posted:

Yeah, the graphics may not hold up anymore, but it looks fast and fun. Just how easy is it to control the bike on those huge downhill courses?

Controlling them is decent. At full speed, which I pretty much go at all the time aside from TD courses (because the AI goes full speed as much as they can), it's tough, but you can turn fairly well if you slow down. It's responsive enough for me to turn right around powerups while trying to get them.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I'll keep double posting as long as I keep updating. Much like SPPS, a doubleshot out of the starting gate, wherein I ask "Is Utah really this steep?"

Area 2: Red Pass

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

ThornBrain posted:

Well that was the weirdest video you've done yet. :stare:

That intro was funny and almost uncomfortable at the same time.

I guess blanktester and I exaggerate a lot, but what part was weird? Yeah, coming off what I did for Shaun Palmer, this is different, but I honestly find this more fun for me as well as for the viewers.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Random Number posted:

This one was way better than the last one when blanktester was all "Blacks are poor, lol". They can't all be winners though. I'm liking the videos with co-commentary a lot more, or maybe it's because this game is more X-TREEM!!

Oh, maybe they're a bit offensive? I didn't really feel like we were going over the line while recording. Then again, I know him well, and I picked him because I knew he could fill in blank spaces with something. I dunno, it's an LP, and we'll keep going and do the rest of this game with him.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 1, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Uhh yeah it's episode 3, wherein I ride on lava without getting hurt.

Area 3: Mt Konawaki

Insetik fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 3, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I don't actually want to do a rap album.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Shaded Spriter posted:

If you are taking suggestions for games - I have a playstation 1 game I remember the downhill domination reminded me of it Rushdown downhill racing on mountain bikes, snowboards and the unique one kayaks.

Hmm, I'll look at it. I'm currently crying because the other games I bought for this are balls-breakingly hard and are making me depressed, but after that, I'll look into it.

Also, I should probably have a bit of interactivity in here. No contests yet, and no rap lyric suggestions please (though we will need backing beats if you assholes actually want us to rap for you), but I just can't decide what the preview image should be for the next video. I mean, I just crash into so much stuff that it all works so well! Here are four potential images for the next episode; you decide and I'll make the winning pic the actual image. If I don't get three votes, I'll just make whichever one I want the actual image.

One

Two

Three

Four

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
When I said "at least three votes" I didn't want only three :qqsay:

Anyways, it's Downhill Domination time, wherein no one thought to alert the Russian army that we'd be riding through. Then I almost get run over. Thanks jerks.

Area 4: Mt Zorkovaska

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Chemical Bastard posted:

If you don't get around to doing Freekstyle I wouldn't blame you, the game really is unforgiving. That special bar takes so much work to get up. Soundtrack was also kind of irritating.

But I'm this close to beating it... on rookie mode

I'll do Freekstyle. I'll burn through recording it then snap my game in half, but I'll do Freekstyle.

Didn't even know about that C vs G difference. I really thought they were spelled the same but for the M and T. I never had to write them out. I'm kinda dumb overall, as my often terrible phrasing may show. Tune in next time when I go on a homing bottle tangent. I'm not kidding. I said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Productive weekend means another episode. Join us now as we take on the next area, wherein I get murdered by trees. Also can a Scottish person please come in here and tell us how to say 'Liddellroch'?

Area 5: Mt Liddellroch

So I'm now 5 episodes in to a 9 episode Super Career. While I have a week or so before I finish this, I should ask now whether I should show off more of Downhill Domination. There are "Specialized career modes" for just Freeride, Mountain Cross, and Technical Downhill tracks, as well as a "Freestyle" career that would be over the Freeride tracks again. The advantages of playing those are that you gain more money, more bikes, unlock some of the other characters, and get more Sponsor outfits. The disadvantages are that they're on the same exact tracks doing the same races I've been doing. Nothing is added, and it's not over any new tracks. I feel like for an LP, it's not worth watching me do the same stuff again, but if there's a response for more of this game (and I don't mean one or two people), I can record some of that. If not, I'll move on to Freekstyle next, which I can actually somewhat do, despite the game being too clunky for its own good. I'll want to know by August 10th or so, so there's time to talk it out. For now, just enjoy the next part of the Super Career.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 5, 2012

• Locked thread