Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I have to say I find this thread pretty interesting. I recently actually, in a bout of craziness, marathoned the first 7 Tony Hawk games. It's pretty...well mind blowing how most of the things added to 4 come from Aggressive Inline.

This might be me looking too far into it but I think Neversoft was well aware of this "borrowing" of ideas. There's many references to Inline Skating in Tony Hawk's Underground 2, including tripping up Inline Skaters, taking down their signs, defacing their tags, and just making fun of them in general. Though that was three full years after THPS4.

Edit: And he wasn't talking about Hanger in THPS2, but Warehouse in THUG2. The first level from the first Tony Hawk game opened up to make an entirely new add-on.

Houle fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

More likely because there's a "rockers vs mods" mentality between skateboarding and inlines.

That's very possible. It's the only Tony Hawk game that I know of that touched upon this.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ovues posted:

Wasn't a park editor in tony hawk back to the second one? I can remember some of the Tony Hawk maps, like Montana. If it wasn't 2, maybe it was 3.

THPS2 had its own Park editor. It functioned similarly to how it did in 3. It was pretty clunky. I guess another thing you could potentially give to Aggressive Inline is that later on in the franchise (THPS4) it let you very slightly modify the main levels by adding or removing "pro objects". In THPS8 the level editor was its own section of the main world. I think THPSPG allowed you to add anything you wanted throughout the level making your own lines.

Montana was in every single game that had a park editor I think. It was the running joke of the franchise along with Ollie the Magic Bum.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm sort of sad to see it go. I really like seeing Tony Hawk rip offs that in turn get ripped off.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ovues posted:

Well Dave Mirra 2 is up next, and that's pretty much Tony Hawk on bikes. I don't remember if there's anything in there that gets ripped off, but it's surely a rip-off of the highest caliber.

OK you all are going to love the Aggressive Inline bonus video blanktester put me through. It was... really something.

Are you including Matt Hoffman in this LP at any point? I'd love to see Matt Hoffman 2 eventually. It's the only Non-tony hawk x-TREME sports game I actually played.

I'm dreading the eventual BMX-XXX though

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Since this is all about Non-Tony Hawk games of that era and Aggressive Inline seems to be the most Tony Hawk of the Non-Tony Hawk's. I'd love to see his imagining of the Warehouse level from the first Hawk game in the Aggressive Inline's level editor.

Overall it was pretty entertaining to watch and reminded me of what my friends and I would accidentally do when trying to come up with something clever or interesting. Especially with the way that the level starts.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
A lot of the things you mentioned about the clunkiness seems to be just something that they tend to put in BMX games. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just noticed that in Matt Hoffman and the biking sections in Tony Hawk's American Wasteland they seem to purposely make you control like poo poo as some form of "realism".

The level size vs. your speed seem to make that time limit really limiting more so than strategy inducing. Whereas in other games with a time limit it may make you look for a particular line or shortcuts in the level...it seems to punish you for exploring the level outright and just stay in the main half pipe.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Obviously Metroid Prime Echoes is the next game. It has half pipes.

This game seems all sorts of messed up. Honestly this makes Aggressive Inline so much better in how well they got their poo poo together.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not sure if Kelly Slater Pro Surfer would count as a fringe game. It was the ugly sister of the Activision02 lineup.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ovues posted:

Again, I actually got really scared when I played the game because the ocean is so drat big and I can't explain but I had to put it down after like 2 minutes so no

no way

gently caress that game, not even kidding

The only first LP of Kelly Slater with a scare-cam. I'd watch.

Outside of that there are the portable games. I remember a scooter game for the GBC

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think with your fear of the Ocean and Blanktester stepping up to the plate to LP the next game it would be for the best if he could do an LP of Kelly Slater and commentated. Then through the power of friendship can we see the game come to life.

Teasing aside, I have thoroughly enjoyed the LP so far and is one of the few that I keep checking for updates. I find it fascinating how many games there have been in the X-treme00's.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I was half expecting Take On Me to start playing in the middle of that intro.

I know that I for one have the two young blonde girls stay at the bottom of the steps when I decide to leave the general party looking for excitement...

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I was thinking about your challenge, the one where we would actually play the game. Turns out you were ripped off. I found it for $1.99. Unless people actually seeing the game somehow lowered its value even more.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ovues posted:

So are you going to play it? If so, record that poo poo son. Also, it's not like I went around different stores price shopping for this game, checking WALMART n poo poo for hot dealz on cool games, but maybe next time.

Btw, blanktester has an amazing picture he's making for this thread, so now that I've told you all about that, he'll have to do it. Can't wait, it sounds great.

I'm highly considering it. I made the mistake of buying Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD so this might actually be an improvement to the physics. As for recording it, maybe if I did so in a retsupurae-bait style since I don't really have any method in doing so outside a Webcam. Though, it wouldn't exactly do the game a disservice.

And fair enough on the deals, honestly I'm impressed that you managed to figure out how to Skii on the moon with magnetic poles. Obviously that's what's going on here. The only way to explain why you seem to gravitate to them and why it's snowing everywhere. The moon is cold.

I would play the poo poo out of a game that provided me with an X-treme part of a balanced breakfast.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Personally I'd like to see how the game looks when you get good at it since you seem to have this weird super power of making terribly coded games with awful controls look playable.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Man, Matt Hoffman is probably the most Non-Hawk sports game I played. Managed to 100% this game way back when and it was pretty great seeing it in action again.

Some of those LA challenges are pretty annoying with some of the flatlanders though, I remember one gap and challenge in particular that kept giving me problems.

It's a shame that there was no Pro BMX 3.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ovues posted:

Was it the "Perfect Alley-Oop over the Awning" challenge? Because I did not expect to get that first try, and that's why I did it a few more times to show how hard it should have been...before getting it on my third try as well. First time I played LA that one challenge took me a few minutes.

Hey, did Downhill Domination ever start working better for you than it did...uhh...like 10 months ago?

Literally yesterday I was like "hey, Six Of Spades hasn't posted here in a while"

I believe it was one of the perfect challenges yeah, as well as one of the transfer challenges in LA. I 100% gap check listed the game, I don't even remember if I got anything for all that tedium. .... Activision02

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
This is pretty delayed but I've been slowly catching up to your output. I have to say, I'm not sure if I'm more surprised at you actually seeing that post on GameFAQs or that you actually said my username correctly. I've heard all sorts of different pronunciations.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I did enjoy it! I just have been playing catch up since I was in Mexico for a month. I was a little surprised when I saw you get over your fear of the Ocean. The game is a little more involved than I had thought.

As for writing a FAQ, not really, I don't even think that would be a great use of your time seeing as how it's a game that will only be played due to watching you play it so generally the way to finish said game is to watch and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Amped was the first game I played on the original Xbox and nearly got me to buy one after the Dreamcast died. But back then I could only afford one console so GameCube it was. Didn't stop me from putting hours into this game whenever I went to a friend's house.

• Locked thread