Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heren
Jul 11, 2012
Good to see this thread materialize! Much better video this time, looking forward to the rest of the thread.

Also I appreciate you covering games that were a little more off the radar. It's always neat to see games you may have never even heard of before. Tony Hawk kicked off so many imitators and even legitimate games in the same genre a lot of them may have gotten lost in the crowd.

Although hopefully not all of them are as much of a direct copy of Tony Hawk 3 as this! I'm still rather appalled Activision did so little to change anything, and in fact even took features out! The one thing I noticed this game had that Tony Hawk didn't were the "Bonk" tricks, you mentioned them briefly but what are they exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heren
Jul 11, 2012
Now that you have all the introductory commentary out of the way videos of about Aspen's length are fine. Don't worry so much about running out of things to talk about - especially don't worry so vocally in the videos. You don't have to talk constantly through an LP. Also, you're doing a good job of getting multiple goals at once and ending the run when appropriate so that should keep the time of the videos manageable.

However like Random Number said if there are more things like the shortcut you used for the "Speedrun" timed goal or other bonuses like gaps or special areas those would be good to show off.

Soundtrack-wise it seems like the music is reminiscent of Tony Hawk's tracks but more on the EXTREME side. So far nothing really stands out to me like the "Superman" track you mentioned in the Aspen video did in Tony Hawk. Although the first track of the first video sounded really familiar, like something right out of a Tony Hawk game. I wonder if that song's been used in anything else.

Having more time to think about it, I think a movie/game rental store I worked at had a copy of this. I don't recall anyone ever renting it though. I wonder if it's one of the ones I got when the place closed down; maybe I have it in a box somewhere.

Heren
Jul 11, 2012
4th time's the charm, huh? :xd: Neat to see you pull that goal off by such a slim margin.

It seemed like you had snowboarding experience yourself ever since your test post but I think this is the first time you explicitly said it in a video. Do you have anything interesting to say about your experience? If you do multiple snowboarding games, it would be neat to hear how each of them compares to snowboarding in real life. I'm guessing Shaun Palmer’s does not resemble snowboarding much at all seeing as how it's practically a copy of a skateboarding game, but I don't know if any other games come closer.

Although it's great you're listening to feedback from the thread, you don't have to keep mentioning it in the videos. It'll be weird for people who haven't followed the thread from the beginning.

And your time for these videos is good, you definitely don't need to cut them down any more by only doing some of the goals each video. Right now each level gets shown off in full in its own video and that gives the LP a good episodic nature since those are natural starting and stopping points - it's why pretty much every LP of a game with defined levels does it that way.

The Tech Demo thread has some good info on screenshot and image editors if that helps. Although you definitely don't need to bring up the technical aspects of the LP in the videos, it would be neat to hear in the thread what programs and video compression and etc. you're using.

Heren
Jul 11, 2012
Wow, you finished that first run exactly in tune with the song. Incidentally or not that was very cool.

And this does look like the best level we've seen so far. You did a good job explaining the layout and just from Tony Hawk experience I can tell some of the areas look like they'd be fun to play around in. Unfortunately this game doesn't do much to encourage exploration. Like you said in the beginning of the LP there's no cash around to find, and like you said here despite having some interesting gaps they don't do anything with them. They could have done extra gap goals or something to make use of all the various set pieces in the levels.

Ironically it seems like the game could have been better if it ripped off Tony Hawk 3 more instead of changing the formula by leaving things out.

Since this was a step above the other levels, is it all downhill from here? :downsrim:

Heren
Jul 11, 2012
"What doesn't go smoothly here is...well, this" *misses a snowman, jumps into a wall*

That was worth a laugh! :xd:

And wow, like Ineffable so eloquently put it that was quite a jump. That's a good set piece for this level. I feel like even if they had to use all of Tony Hawk's mechanics if the game had better level design with more moments like that it could have stood on its own better. You made some good level-analysis comments too, getting on top of that house for the 3rd logo seems like it could have been much cooler if they had done more with that area.

Only 3 levels left to go? It's a shame this looks like it doesn't come with a level designer like the Tony Hawk series, that could have added a lot to the game as well.

Heren
Jul 11, 2012

Ovues posted:

Well there is a super spin cheat as well so i guess it's time to just figure out what the limit is :haw:

EDIT: Well with half gravity and super spins on, I still didn't reach the limit. I got up to a 4860. That's 13 and a half full spins. There are some equal or bigger jumps later on in the last level, maybe then I'll try again.

If you were considering doing a bonus update after the main run is done, showing off the cheats to get the biggest jumps and longest grinds and the like would be cool to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heren
Jul 11, 2012
Laughed at the "Pro Skater?" gap! At least they're honest. :xd:

The Siberian Air jump was cool, it would have been good for more levels to have features like that. Despite all being very linear it seems like the levels are fairly large, at least big enough where they can put things like that away from everything else. Looking forward to seeing what the last level is like.

It's a shame the game doesn't allow you to customize more things, like character movesets. You have used special tricks very well throughout the game, especially getting a ton of points off of huge jumps. Do any of the other characters have any specials that really stand out? In the Tony Hawk franchise special moves started out as real tricks but got more and more ridiculous as the series went on.

• Locked thread