Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not terrible, but still quite disappointing. I haven't actually seen Batman Begins, but this definitely pales in comparison to TDK in my opinion.

The suspension of disbelief was very hard to ignore and does not fit at all with the realistic Batman of at least TDK. Batman's miraculous recovery, his escape from prison, people being in the right place at the right time, etc, etc. As mentioned by others the action scenes were too over the top, and the emotional scenes too unrealistic.(The quote from Tale of Two Cities had me closer to laughing than emotional.)

Bane's motivations are extremely thin, his origin story is rather contrived IMO (although I know this is true to the comics) and then at the end it turns out he's not the real villain at all and his entire development is thrown away. Speaking of which the entire character of Miranda seems to be there just for consistency with the comics. She does basically nothing until the last 30 minutes. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman is good but she does not have a major role. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character gives a mediocre performance and seems to be there for comics consistency /setting up the next movie.

The film beats the viewer over the head with its political commentary. It really does approach a right wing caricature of "egalitarianism" or the French Revolution, or Occupy Wall Street, or whatever this week's manifestation of Red Communism is. The movie is based on A Tale of Two Cities obviously, but that book was a conservative commentary on politics from 1850s Britain. Maybe it's just because I disagree with such a viewpoint, but the movie really does not give a very nuanced or deep commentary on the subject and it comes off badly.

The fight scenes are entertaining, but if I wanted to see that I would see the Avengers. Also Michael Caine gives an excellent performance, as does Morgan Freeman, so I got my money's worth at least.

In the end I think it suffered from sticking to the comics too closely, and trying to shoehorn a political message into it. It felt like a superhero movie, and what made TDK great was that it did not feel like a superhero movie. Too many characters, contrived plot, and a cheesy, shoehorned in message.

2.5/5 (with TDK 5/5)

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU