Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boy Blue
Jul 13, 2008
This was, in my opinion, the best of the trilogy. That said, I thought BB was average and TDK was the most overrated movie in years.

First, the bad: the pacing was pretty rough at times, and it seemed to take forever for anything to happen. I also just have an issue with the premise of a "realistic" batman story. Maybe that's just my baggage, but if a realistic story can't be told without characters acting selectively and irrationally stupid for the sake of furthering the plot, then maybe realism should be scrapped. In fact, there are just a lot of nonsensical decisions and actions that get shoehorned in so that the movie can be big and serious. For example, the cop conveniently finding Gordon at exactly the right time, or offering a completely unbelievable explanation for how he discovered that Bruce was Batman. Not to mention how loving obvious it is, anyone with a shred of sense should be able to piece it together. But based on his actions and seclusion perfectly mirroring Batman's, and how his limp magically disappears, and how he owns a tech company that actually has the resources to build those giant weapons. But not because he's an orphan and learned to hide his anger. Gee, really? Dude is pissed that his parents were gunned down in front of him, he must be Batman. There's also a lot of unrealistic "right place, right time" stuff. And the police are always slow and incompetent, as was the military. And how did no one react to all the money disappearing? It just happens, and then everyone forgets about it, and no one tries to do damage control for Wayne Enterprises? I mean, it's not a hard sell that your completely irrational business decision was actually done by the lunatic terrorist who just tore down the stock market. I could go on... lots of stuff that just doesn't make sense.

The good: this movie was actually fun. Good action, appropriate character arcs for a hero story. Bane was a great villain, excellent writing and believable as the intelligent terrorist. The inclusion of Talia really made the comic book geek in me giddy. I actually liked the callbacks to Batman Begins. Most importantly, I just had fun with it. I thought The Dark Knight was mostly stressful to watch. Low on humor, high on irrational violence and pounding music. The soundtrack was significantly better in this one, it kept me excited and engaged without making me worry I was going to have a heart attack. Oh, and Anne Hathaway deserves a lot of credit. Excellent portrayal of Selina Kyle, one of the highlights. Great entertainment, great villain, fun story. Just don't expect anything brilliant or deep (basically, don't expect what The Dark Knight pretended to be) and you should have a great time. Very fun summer blockbuster.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU