Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
The Dark Knight Returns Rises

In the coming weekend, I think we can expect a lot of four-out-of-five reviews from movie-goers. Which is unfortunate, as this might be Christoper Nolan's apex; but it's just short of what the audience wants. They expect someone to top Ledger's Joker. They want to see Nolan take on The Riddler. They're waiting for Raz-al-Ghul to ascend from the Lazarus Pit. They think Bane is such a minor character, why is he in this movie instead of Killer Croc? Where the hell is Dick Grayson?

It is in the audience's continued search for what they can call an epic and make it mean something, this is where TDKR, like many works of all media released in the last decade or so, falls. We want this to win Best Picture, and given this year's cinematic output, it probably will, but we also want this to be our generation's Citizen Kane. So we look for perfection. And thus we find things to criticize. We find that in two hours and forty-five minutes, we don't have a movie we can show our grandchildren and say, "This is everything you need to know about Batman."

The Dark Knight Rises is not the definitive Batman experience. The definitive Batman experience is all Batman works. The Nolan films, the Schumacher films, the Adam West series, The Animated Series, Golden Age Batman and Silver Age Batman; Batman is whatever we want it to be, and for Christopher Nolan, Batman is Bruce Wayne. As a result, TDKR is less a movie about a man in a suit beating up bad guys, but a character study of the man who has to live with the responsibility he chose, and dealing with the consequences of the pursuit of justice. Bruce Wayne is shown as a man who doesn't need a cowl to be strong.

I don't do ratings, as they have become arbitrary and meaningless. I will say that you need to see this movie. Christopher Nolan knew there were a lot of things that could go wrong with the conclusion of a trilogy (too many subplots, fan-service everywhere, an ending where Nick Fury wants you to join his America Squad which is in the next movie, use of dubstep, etc.) and he has wisely chosen to avoid these pitfalls to make what I think is one of the best movies released in the last decade. Just know that you shouldn't watch this as a Batman movie. This is a movie that happens to have Batman in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU