Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

I'm afraid I was extremely disappointed with this movie.

The biggest problem with the film was pacing. Unlike its predecessors, there was a complete lack of immediacy to the events that unfolded. This was a problem early on when the film begins eight years after the second film, whereas the first two movies fit together almost perfectly. This deprived the third film of the cat-and-mouse chase between the police and Batman that was promised at the end of "The Dark Knight." It continues to be a problem when Batman has been in hiding for most of those eight years, he is then imprisoned for ninety days, police officers are buried underground for months, and a bomb threatening the city has a timer that takes weeks to count down.

The other problem is that two peripheral characters in the story end up assuming significant roles in the story despite not being given much of an identity for most of the film. The first was the character played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who gives a mediocre performance despite the film trying to convince us he is a "hothead" police officer. When the end of the film reveals that he is to become Robin, I felt jilted that the film did not work harder to make him interesting. The second was Bruce Wayne's girlfriend Miranda played by Marion Cotillard. After all the drama with Rachel in the first two films, I never bought the chemistry between her and Bruce Wayne, and I could not quite figure out her angle to the story. Then, in the end, when she is revealed to be the primary villain, it completely guts the development of Bane, who was marketed as the main focus of the film.

Finally, the net effect of both these characters was that both of the characters that were supposed to be the focus of the film, Bane and Catwoman, both play a very small role in the plot. Catwoman appears and disappears, though she does have a couple very good fight scenes that were my favorite parts of the movie. A greater focus on her would have helped the film greatly as I felt Anne Hathaway was really enjoying her role. Bane is, to the film's credit, much more visible, but the last-minute reveal of Miranda's criminal intentions throws away the film's paintstaking character devlopment of him. Miranda's character even takes away an interesting origin story for Bane that completely effaces his character.

I really wanted to like this movie, and I have given it a lot of thought since seeing it, but I just can't get my mind around these problems. When watching the film, these issues came off as unexpected since the first two films developed their characters so well. It is because these problems were so big, and that the confluence of them distracted the trilogy's flow established by the first two films, that I rate this film

1/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU