Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

You are a worldthought, a simulacrum spontaneously birthed by your father-plane. You are part of it, yet seperate; a portion of being given the power of self-determination.

You are a regent, lord over your herited expanse. The entirety of the plane is yours to command, according to the laws set down by your creator.

You are a representative, thrust into unwanted responsibility when your reality smashes into the rest of existence. There are others in the splinters of the worlds, others much like you; patrons of their own planes, confused and angry at this muddling of realities.

You are an explorer, travelling the world with others to try to reseperate your planes and heal them to their unfractured forms, or even to find new things birthed by this strange world.

You are an intersector, one of the many of this grand design. You find your dominion waning over time, as the worlds meld into schizophrenic plenitude. But as your power, your very essence, declines, you feel more and more a part of this new world - a world of the unknown.

What will you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I haven't decided on a name yet, but I would describe the concept I've settled on as Final Fantasy Borgias.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Oh goddamnit, how did I miss that someone else was already doing a lawyer game?

I feel like mine will be different, but this still feels pretty bad. Is it too late for me to alter my entry?

EDIT: Oh good, and someone else is already doing an investigation heavy game. Is a bit of overlap normal for these things?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Sagan posted:

I feel like mine will be different, but this still feels pretty bad. Is it too late for me to alter my entry?

Oh, I'll give everyone time to do that until August 3rd at the latest. Or until you turn in your outline, whichever comes first.

That's only... fair.

e: And also, to be... fair, overlap is hardly unexpected or punishable with Shame. Legal drama is, well, dramatic! I'm just surprised there hasn't been a medical drama.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Evil Sagan posted:

The only solution to this is for every lawyer game to use the same case as their module so that we can truly see who has the best lawyer game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Though this might annoy Rulebook a tiny bit, I've got a name change for my game.

You had my game as this, and I realized it's a much cooler and less generic name then what I had come up with.

EDIT: Saw the edited list. You were right, Rulebook, but that doesn't mean I have to like it :cheeky:.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
I have a set of mechanics in mind already, but I'm still working on a theme. Let me noodle it for a day or two, and then I'll make a formal announcement.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm really going to try and finish this time. My current ideas are...

No, I Expect You to Die: You are the hopeless goons of a Bond Villian. Since you exist just to provide the super spy with enough of a challenge to show how badass he is, combat tends to end very poorly for you. Goals vary between simple survival to getting promoted to the right hand man.

Fight Ghosts with Ghosts: (Hopefully after I get a less lovely title) The players are wandering ghosts trying to find redemption through exorcising malicious spirits. The standard game would be:
1. Hear about weird thing.
2. Investigate the spirit.
3. Provoke spirit into confrontation.
4. Exorcise it.

College is Magic! : Think Harry Potter graduated and went to College. The main goal is to graduate with passing grades and a good circle of friends. Friends can help you with classes, make you happy, and introduce you to other friends. Studying takes happiness points to do, otherwise you just blow it off and procrastinate.

The one I'm really liking is:

Gold and Guilds: Fantasy Adventurer politicking in a Fantasy Adventurer Guild. Adventures take place off screen, and they're closer to skill challenges than combat. Violence against fellow guilders is against the guild charter. Classes and Races would be closer to Aspects than a list of abilities.

Hm. I'll have to think of these for a day or two.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I want to do this but there's no way I'll have time so I will have to watch and see how it goes. Good luck everyone who actually enters this thing!

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
It seems like everyone is making a game with a definite, built-in setting. Is that a requirement? I have an idea for a system that will potentially work with just about anything but I haven't come up with an appropriate setting for it.

Fuchi
Mar 10, 2011
Spin, the game of advertising, marketing and public relations executive decisions. In a sea of uncontrollable variables, how do these brave men satisfy key publics without going over budget or drawing the ire of interest groups?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Capfalcon posted:

Fight Ghosts with Ghosts: (Hopefully after I get a less lovely title)

No, Fight Ghosts with Ghosts is an amazing title. It is a title that would make me want to play the game based on title alone. :allears:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

You know what? Although Fighting Ghosts with Ghosts grew on me, I'm getting closer to just having it be about Ghosts throwing down with supernatural powers. While awesome, this kind of disqualifies it. So, I'm not picking any of them! I'm going to make Road Trip!: This Game is Going Places!

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Then I'd like to change my Public Utilities negotiation game to Fight Ghosts with Ghosts :ms:

j/k, I'm gonna stick with Red Tape

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've decided!
My game shall be entitled Emperor Mittens

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Maybe I'm missing it but does it have to be an RPG? I have an idea for a cardgame called "The Elites"

It would essentially be a complete reskinning of Apples to apples and INWO with each player representing some Illuminati group (The Vatican, The New Patriots, Aliens, Wall Street, Accelerationists, OPEC, etc). At least three players, preferably four.

Players get ten organization cards representing various groups (Microsoft/Apple, Blackwater, The Clintons, The Eastern Block, DeBeers, the EPA, CIA, MPAA/RIAA, Televangelists, Tea Party, Republicans, Democrats, Ron Paul Revolution, whatever). Each turn a main player puts out a scenario card (Adjetive cards in Apples to Apples). For example "__________ are attempting to buy nuclear weapons" "_________ will disband as a group", "_________ calls for the downfall of the United States" or whatever.

Each player puts a single organization card into a pile with the 2 - 4 other players who did not play a scenario card. Those cards are shuffled, and the person playing the scenario card picks which one they like the most. The person who played that card then has to justify how their Illuminati is benefited by the combination of the scenario with your organization card.

A less dry example:

"Okay, I'm playing that ____________ attempting to buy nuclear weapons"
*the three other players put organization cards face down and then shuffle*
"Okay, I like the Clintons buying nuclear weapons. Who was that?"
"Me. You see, As a representative of the Worshippers of Cthulhu we've found that having such a high profile American family holding nuclear weapons will be an easily exposed event that will create global instability, and hopefully nuclear war, which may allow our dark lord to rise."

Basically I want to redo the idea of INWO's silliness into a sleeker game with just as much kooky organizational controls but less dumb math.

All combinations put by the side. Winner is the one with the most cards chosen, who then has to weave a narrative of how they accomplished their groups role within the world with an interlocking series of events.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

mugrim posted:

Maybe I'm missing it but does it have to be an RPG? I have an idea for a cardgame called "The Elites"

Man I don't know. What is an RPG really man.
:okpos:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mugrim posted:

Maybe I'm missing it but does it have to be an RPG?

Second post, second rule. Either go for a card-driven Illuminati RPG or save this idea for a card game contest.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
I'd like to request clarification on a rule:

Rules posted:

2. It has to be an original creation for this contest, and it must recognizably be a role-playing game by the definition of players taking on a role or persona for the duration of the game in whatever capacity.

By "duration of the game", do you mean that the players have to keep the same persona for the whole game, or just that players should always take on a persona?

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Alright, Tentative name Project Zed Last of the Living.

Here's the pitch: You're normal people during a normal day. Everything is going fine until your door starts getting knocked down.
You're not a fighter. All you can do is try to survive until someone comes to bail you out.
The game will be 99% about managing your resources: Time, food, Water, Shelter - And each other. Since it's a zombie game, combat is inevitable, but it is almost guaranteed to get you killed. If you get in a situation where combat is the only option, you'd better hope you can get out of it alive.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

mllaneza posted:

Second post, second rule. Either go for a card-driven Illuminati RPG or save this idea for a card game contest.

Literally broke every single criteria about rule 2. I have no idea how I missed that. Thanks for the answer, I'll see if I can muster something else.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, deary deary dear.

quote:

[20:48] <sion> add too many rules
[20:48] <sion> so no one knows what the gently caress's going on
[20:48] <sion> and everyone think's it's lovely and dumb
[20:48] <sion> so far so good

Sion, I believe this is yours.

What shame, what shame. But whining about the rules is, in the infinite wisdom in which they were written, against the rules.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Well you can put me on the wall of shame. I'm looking to the future now and considering that I don't have the time to do this like I thought I did, especially since I'd inevitably have to flake out and leave another goon without a playtester for their own game. Overruled shall not see the light of day.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

A busy day.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Just to clarify, it's okay if I use cards as a resolution mechanic, but it still has to be an RPG.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Kwyndig posted:

Just to clarify, it's okay if I use cards as a resolution mechanic, but it still has to be an RPG.

Yep. No dice as randomizers. Still vaguely considering using dice for ad-hoc miniatures, like we used to do in my old Saga games.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Flaky Biscuit posted:

You are a worldthought, a simulacrum spontaneously birthed by your father-plane. You are part of it, yet seperate; a portion of being given the power of self-determination.

You are a regent, lord over your herited expanse. The entirety of the plane is yours to command, according to the laws set down by your creator.

You are a representative, thrust into unwanted responsibility when your reality smashes into the rest of existence. There are others in the splinters of the worlds, others much like you; patrons of their own planes, confused and angry at this muddling of realities.

You are an explorer, travelling the world with others to try to reseperate your planes and heal them to their unfractured forms, or even to find new things birthed by this strange world.

You are an intersector, one of the many of this grand design. You find your dominion waning over time, as the worlds meld into schizophrenic plenitude. But as your power, your very essence, declines, you feel more and more a part of this new world - a world of the unknown.

What will you do?

This game reads like a slightly more schizophrenic take on Nobilis. I am intrigued.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gau posted:

Yep. No dice as randomizers. Still vaguely considering using dice for ad-hoc miniatures, like we used to do in my old Saga games.

Yay! Then I can totally work on Emperor Mittens!

In Emperor Mittens you play the back stabbing treacherous ministers of the God-Cat-Emperor-of-All-Mankind. There's no fights because if Emperor Mittens catching you fighting he'll blast you with his God-Cat powers and then it's Game Over.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Yay! Then I can totally work on Emperor Mittens!

In Emperor Mittens you play the back stabbing treacherous ministers of the God-Cat-Emperor-of-All-Mankind. There's no fights because if Emperor Mittens catching you fighting he'll blast you with his God-Cat powers and then it's Game Over.

A Game of Kitties. Can the felines raise armies of lesser animals (meaning, anyone else) to fight if the treachery and deceit go sour?

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

On the brighter side of things, I'm officially in it to win it.

Introducing: ThU/D: Deathrow LIVE!

(apologies to Regis)

In the grim darkness of the far future... Wait, that's a different game.

In this dystopian future, the slobbering, overweight masses have grown tired of reality TV shows like Survivor and the Amazing Race. Noting both this fact and the overcrowding in America's prisons, one brilliant TV exec had a great idea:

LET'S MAKE DEATH ROW INMATES FIGHT FOR THEIR FREEDOM IN A REALITY TV SHOW WITH BODILY HARM AT EVERY TURN!

Audiences don't care when criminals are hurt. And criminals will do anything for their chance at freedom. They’re criminals, for goodness’ sake.

Add in The Worst Announcer – literally, The Worst Announcer – and you've got a goldmine. The resulting success made American Idol's ratings look like G4's.

So take on the role of a doomed inmate and try to fight your own way to freedom on Deathrow LIVE!

As for the ThU/D part of the name, well, I'll leave that as a mystery for the days to come. Muahahaha.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, it's going to be a resource building based game for at least one of the phases of play.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I was thinking a couple of things:

Oh Snap!: The Game of Being an rear end in a top hat - Power sets/playbook based. Rock Paper Scissors power interaction. Undermine your erstwhile friends and be the last man standing.

More Songs About Counterculture: Ad-hoc hipster game with diminishing returns; stuff stops working as well because it's "too mainstream" but effects that are defined by people using them get more smaller effects. It'd be a good way to do lolNasu magic, if you're into that sort of thing.

Nothing Amazing Happens Here: FLCL the game. Slice of life with anime assholes; poker deck based like Raspberry Heaven.

Something Something Persona Something Something Hero's Journey: Turning the tarot Fool's Journey into an RPG somehow.

Hangover: Munchausen with booze. Piecing together what happened last night.

Not sure if I'm going to enter (you know how I get), but spitballing ideas is always fun.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

MadRhetoric posted:

More Songs About Counterculture: Ad-hoc hipster game with diminishing returns; stuff stops working as well because it's "too mainstream" but effects that are defined by people using them get more smaller effects. It'd be a good way to do lolNasu magic, if you're into that sort of thing.

This sounds hilarious and I would play the hell out of it. Count me in as a playtester if you do it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MadRhetoric posted:

Nothing Amazing Happens Here: FLCL the game. Slice of life with anime assholes; poker deck based like Raspberry Heaven.

Something Something Persona Something Something Hero's Journey: Turning the tarot Fool's Journey into an RPG somehow.

These sound like the most entertaining.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I would playtest Nothing Amazing Ever Happens Here until my eyes/fingers/anus bled.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Gau posted:

I would playtest Nothing Amazing Ever Happens Here until my eyes/fingers/anus bled.

My Designer sense tells me that all of the following are likely to happen. Also chafing.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

isndl posted:

For a randomizer, consider Russian Roulette. Bonus points if you use live ammunition!

Did anyone take this? I'm taking this.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Imagine that the NFL and the Premier League and the Rugby Union all got subsumed by one supersport and everyone who liked sport in the world watched it.

That sport is Arenaball. And you get to play it.

In the world of New Pangaea, though, that may be a blessing or a curse.

Players play as a five-man Arenaball team, both playing the exciting game of Arenaball (using a 52 card deck plus Jokers) and competing to move up the league ladder and playing their personal lives/off the field activities (using a Tarot deck) which affect their play on the field. Think Shin Megami Tensei: Persona meets Blood Bowl.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Logo for my game, courtesy of Bahamut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No disqualifications recently! Well done. That it has been due to few posts, well, that is not so much to my taste. We're also closing in on the first official day where you are allowed to post your game outline, so if you're thinking about entering you should probably make a final decision sooner rather than later.

However, if you feel you're too full of empty chatter that isn't appropriate for this thread and are therefore not posting, simply go to synIRC and join #tradgamesdesign via your favorite IRC ritual and let the discussion flow.