Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now I'm tempted to figure out how to use a hamster ball as a randomizer, just for the hell of it.

Edit: I might finally write up an RPG that's been hiding in the back of my head for awhile, which is basically Toy Story, but with more stuffed animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've decided!
My game shall be entitled Emperor Mittens

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Just to clarify, it's okay if I use cards as a resolution mechanic, but it still has to be an RPG.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gau posted:

Yep. No dice as randomizers. Still vaguely considering using dice for ad-hoc miniatures, like we used to do in my old Saga games.

Yay! Then I can totally work on Emperor Mittens!

In Emperor Mittens you play the back stabbing treacherous ministers of the God-Cat-Emperor-of-All-Mankind. There's no fights because if Emperor Mittens catching you fighting he'll blast you with his God-Cat powers and then it's Game Over.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, it's going to be a resource building based game for at least one of the phases of play.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Here it is in all its glory outline-ness, the Emperor Mittens Outline.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey, just putting it out there that I'd be happy to help playtest multiple games this month in between working on my own.

Also, I've already discovered a few flaws in my first draft of Emperor Mittens, go team!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HiKaizer posted:

Wrong midnight then!

Can I take the chance to edit my entry a little bit before it's finalised, or am I set in stone for good or bad?

Nothing is set until the deadline.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not past the deadline yet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Thank you for calling me out on my :effort: submission. This should be sufficient motivation to make my module a bit more kickass.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey, guess what I got!

A first module!

This one is mostly character creation, but I'm going to keep working on it right up to the deadline. So keep watching that space!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Druggeddwarf posted:

Emperor mittens

Firstly, I’m going to have to steal the idea of a glossary at the beginning of the module from you dude. Sorry.
Second of all, this sounds utterly hilarious, but I have no idea how the grand selection for minster is played out. Maybe in the next module?
I get the feeling that this game will play more like Maid than Starblazer adventures, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I want to know more! GIVE ME MORE!

You'll have my layout over my cold dead... actually my layout is terrible. I plan to do something more serious with it in like Open Office or something once the contest is over.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes Module 2-Rules of Play and EM Advice will consist of all the actual rules needed to play the game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay, Emperor Mittens continues apace, although I didn't have time to write advice for the player of everyone's favorite adorable overlord.

Here is Module 2 Rules of Play. If you combine this with Module 1, you have everything you need to play a game.

So next week I'll finish up writing up guidelines for playtesting the thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay, here's all the rules for Emperor Mittens gathered together in one module and (eventually) expanded upon with playtest advice, clarifying examples, and perhaps even something approaching layout.

Right now it's pretty raw: but here you go.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Although I almost didn't, I did play a traditional game this week. Here's the IRC Log of a very high me and a few random people from the internet playing 'My Uncle The Baron', a simplified version of The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchhausen, which is a diceless friendly hugs game of its own.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, here's Module 3 Advice For Emperor Mittens it's pretty short, but I think I managed to distill enough wisdom into it to get the point across.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At a minimum I want to playtest Retrocausality, because I'm a sucker for time travel games.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At this point I'm just happy to have participated. Although I definitely need to learn how to do proper layout.

I will playtest Intercector sometime either tomorrow or in the upcoming week. Mostly because Flaky Biscuit is a cool dude and the only way I'm going to wrap my head around this thing he has made is from the ground up with actual play.

Since my IRL group is on hiatus, I guess I'll need to figure out how to get it to work in like Roll20 or something.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Assuming I can figure out this Roll20 thing I will be running a playtest for Intersector tomorrow after 6 PM Central.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Intersector playtest time, hit me up in #tradgamesdesign