Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
While I lay dreaming. (working title)

Beyond the veil of sleep, there is dreamland. Its a magical place where anything you can think of is true. It is shaped by the force of will of the dreamers. However, where there are dreams, there are nightmares. Nightmares can destroy a good dream, but the dreamers can resist the influence of nightmares. What the dreamer has to understand is that nightmares come from the same place as dreams. Nightmares are made up of the frustrations, anxiety, and troubles that are on the dreamer's mind. Knowing where nightmares come from, a dreamer must confront the underlying causes and find a way to be at peace with them.

The mechanic will be a bidding system of some kind. Possibly one where the players and the GM bid for narrative control over scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Troubling Dreams

- The Blurb

Beyond the veil of sleep, there is dreamland. Its a magical place where anything you can think of is true. It is shaped by dreamers, who are the lords and ladies of the land. It is not all peaceful though, with dreams come nightmares. Nightmares come from the unconscious of the dreamer.

Frustrations, anxieties and troubles of the real world linger in the unconscious of the dreamers and when they least expect it, the nightmares attempt to wrest control of dreams. What bothers a dreamer follows them into their dreams. Dreams offer no escape from the problems of the waking world. Hope exists to keep dreams unmarred by the taint of nightmares.

Dreamers can banish the insidious influence of nightmares! To win against nightmares a dreamer must come to terms with their personal issues. The way to do this is by conquering minor irritations. Dealing with minor problems lays the path to developing the means to resolve the larger issues.

The goal of the dreamer is to prepare themselves to confront their main problem. If they can deal with the main problem, then they can dream peacefully. If, on the other hand, the dreamers are unable to do this, they could lose their control of the dream. The loss of dream control means nightmares are in charge, leading to problems in the real world.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Troubling Dreams Blurb and Design Document

Blurb

When sleepers dream, they go to a magical place where anything you can be true. The place has many names, but most often its just called Dreamland. Dreamers rule over this land acting with the power to shape it as they please, they are not all powerful because, with dreams come nightmares.

Nightmares seek to usurp the dreamers rule. Born from the anxieties, stress and trouble of a dreamer's waking life, nightmares are the bane of dreamers. Instead of dreams being a place of joy, nightmares seek to inflict the mental pain on the dreamer. Dreamers aren't powerless. They can resist nightmares..

Dreamers can take control back from nightmares! To win back their dreams, they must come to terms with the personal issues that caused the nightmares. A dreamer accomplishes this by building up coping mechanisms to overcome the influence of nightmares. At first the dreamer takes on minor worries and then slowly as they build up their coping mechanisms, they grow more capable of handling larger problems. If a dreamer fails to learn to deal with their troubles, they give more power to their nightmares. A dreamer who becomes powerless in the face of their nightmares loses all control of their dreams. Given time a dreamer will have grown enough to resolve the main nightmare that plagues them. However the dreamer is not alone. Other dreamers join them in Dreamland and together they can work on conquering all of their nightmares.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Rexides posted:

Ughhh, I was going to make a game about the players being different personalities of a single person suffering from MPD, but I am too stupid to make such concept work.

I'll keep checking the thread though because the entries look promising.

Have you looked at the game Everyone is John> Its about players bring different personalities of John.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

I'm dropping out. I don't think I can get a working game done in time.