Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
:dance: I'm so excited!

I specifically cordoned this contest off in my brain so that I wouldn't start putting together ideas until I saw the rules. Now that I have, I am really stoked. Going to cook some ideas in my head and see what comes out on the 31st.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm going to try and enter this. I've got a game idea it's just that I'm struggling with coming up with a non-dice randomizer that would work.

Decks of cards are very easy to use and ubiquitous.

The diceless thing is, ironically, the most challenging part of this. Dice are just such convenient randomizers. All the more need to challenge that precept of RPGs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

homerlaw posted:

When you say combat, you mean in a physical sense, correct?

Just so you know, there's a definite taboo on asking Rulebook questions about the contest, ESPECIALLY questions like that.

The general answer would be yes.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I am really confused about the stages. So, we have to turn something in for each stage, but there are no rules as to what that something must be, just some update or addition to our game, and it must be completed by the 24th. Am I missing something?

Edit: To be clear, I am not critiquing! I am very happy with the rules of this contest, Comrade Lord RulebookHeavily. I shall return to my assigned posting pod at once.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I've already tossed a couple ideas for this in the circular bin, including:

Anachronism: A Game of Insufferable Cunts, a game of obnoxious nerds in period costume pretending to be time travelers in public. It sounds fun, but I don't think I could get anyone here to playtest it.

Boys & Girls, a conflictless game of adolescent friendships and love designed specifically to be played via PbP. I like the system, the subject matter is a bit...dodgy.

Right now, I'm working on a single-player game. We'll see. I intend to enter, but I'm not throwing my hat in until I have a solid notion to run with.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Another question that occurred to me while sifting through ideas: does the idea have to be publishable? Specifically, can it use an intellectual property or component that requires licensing?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Just to clarify, it's okay if I use cards as a resolution mechanic, but it still has to be an RPG.

Yep. No dice as randomizers. Still vaguely considering using dice for ad-hoc miniatures, like we used to do in my old Saga games.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Flaky Biscuit posted:

You are a worldthought, a simulacrum spontaneously birthed by your father-plane. You are part of it, yet seperate; a portion of being given the power of self-determination.

You are a regent, lord over your herited expanse. The entirety of the plane is yours to command, according to the laws set down by your creator.

You are a representative, thrust into unwanted responsibility when your reality smashes into the rest of existence. There are others in the splinters of the worlds, others much like you; patrons of their own planes, confused and angry at this muddling of realities.

You are an explorer, travelling the world with others to try to reseperate your planes and heal them to their unfractured forms, or even to find new things birthed by this strange world.

You are an intersector, one of the many of this grand design. You find your dominion waning over time, as the worlds meld into schizophrenic plenitude. But as your power, your very essence, declines, you feel more and more a part of this new world - a world of the unknown.

What will you do?

This game reads like a slightly more schizophrenic take on Nobilis. I am intrigued.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Yay! Then I can totally work on Emperor Mittens!

In Emperor Mittens you play the back stabbing treacherous ministers of the God-Cat-Emperor-of-All-Mankind. There's no fights because if Emperor Mittens catching you fighting he'll blast you with his God-Cat powers and then it's Game Over.

A Game of Kitties. Can the felines raise armies of lesser animals (meaning, anyone else) to fight if the treachery and deceit go sour?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I would playtest Nothing Amazing Ever Happens Here until my eyes/fingers/anus bled.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I think lightning has finally struck. I'm going to put together an urban exploration/parkour game using decks of playing cards and a stopwatch for task resolution.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

Mystery at Owl Creek Cove
You have been sent to Owl Creek Cove for a summer job. While staying at the town you discover things are not what they seem. People act usual and creatures which are thought to be figments of the imagination wander the city proper. Your job is to unravel the mysteries of the town while making minimum wage.

Any relation to An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

This is seriously amazing. If your game isn't set up to be as fun as Jurassic Central Park appears to be, you should probably drop out at once and spare yourself the embarrassment.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Edit: Here is my preliminary outline for my game. I'm going to work it around to make it more descriptive and engaging, but at least I have an entry in.

Traceuse

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

:allears:

I will try to get a revised outline up tonight, but no promises. I am going out of town into the Land of No Internet this weekend.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

MadRhetoric posted:

Wait, Mors, why is an outline that works as the Table of Contents for a document that doesn't exist a bad thing? That's what an outline is, at least for writing.

Yeah, but it doesn't show him much of the game.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

This, yeah. It tells me Gau has ideas, but I currently don't actually know what any of those ideas are.

I created a much more verbose summary for Traceuse. I like it. You can read it here. Mors Rattus, I would be exceedingly obliged if you would do me the honor of another pass over the material.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Good luck to everyone who hasn't put together an outline yet - you have about eight hours!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I am just pleased that Jurassic Central Park had the top score. Now to get to work on dividing up the tasks over the next few weeks. How are you guys doing this? Is it more important to do rules first, or would you rather get the fluff out of the way? Are you putting modules in buckets by chapters, or something else?

Edit: Also, I am kicking myself for deleting "AD BLURB" because I thought it ruined the flow of the thing.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Flaky Biscuit posted:

I've heard a few complaints that my game Intersector is a bit hard to follow. In an effort to clarify what it's going for, I've created an additional ad blurb that will (with any luck) be easier to understand. As always, I strive for the largest possible audience.

That actually makes a lot more sense.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Flaky Biscuit posted:

Mi feliĉas ke vin ĝi plaĉis!

ni nimi kama e mi pilin ike

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I've decided to start with a strong base for my system and do the Parcours du Combattant system in one fell swoop. As such, I have modeled out my "modules" as such:

Stage 1: Chapter 1, which is primarily an introduction to the game, creating a character, the philosophy of Parkour, and most importantly, the Parcours du Combattant system itself. That should be plenty to do for 10 August (only two days away!).

Module 2: Will cover Chapters 3, 4, and 5, the meat of the mechanics of the game: Exploration, Running, and Consequences. This will be the most difficult module, but I should be able to get it together for 17 August.

Section 3: Plays cleanup with Chapter 2 (Setting fluff), 6 (Player Turn/Downtime), and 7 (GM Advice and creating missions). I also hope to include a short sample mission, for playtesting - just in case this goal wasn't ambitious enough for 24 August.

Playtesting is going to be tricky. Are there any dicebots that handle playing cards, hands, and drawing/discarding? Is this a thing?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Pacific Daylight Time is GMT-7, which means I have until 17:00 (5 pm) on Friday to post my poo poo. You can adjust your American sensibilities from there, I trust.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Yeah, that seems right.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

sc4rs posted:

http://www.random.org/playing-cards/ is what I've been using, but I don't have "hands" in my game for this very reason - keeping track of it on a computer seems to be a pain and I can't find anywhere that does it well.

FlakyBiscuit kicks serious rear end and is making me a cardbot so that I game is, you know, playtestable at all. Seriously. He rocks.

I'm sure anyone else would be welcome to use it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's 1am Saturday GMT +1, so no, it is not 5pm Saturday GMT +10. I am not sure how you got 22 from 7+10.

Let the aussie bastard burn.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

As we creep into the last day before the deadline, my prototypes for the page design are going well:

But the concept art for my BONUS honestly has me slightly more excited!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Well, tomorrow is going to be a busy day, so here's my alpha version of the first module of Traceuse:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8x8cpjxTQQjUExTaVE4WndlUTA

It's a lot less writing than I had originally intended to do, as I spent far too long trying to make the system work right. I think there's something really good here for a foundation. I'm happy with it, even if it's shorter than I had hoped. If I get time before the deadline together, I'll throw the character creation rules into this. If not, they will be in the next module.

And, here's my BONUS! (A GIRL FRIEND of mine whipped it up on short notice. It's based on a photo of me jumping around in ridiculous gear.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

So, I went to my hometown of Stevensville, Montana for the "weekend" to help my father get caught up for the rest of the fire season. A three-day trip has turned into a full week. The only internet here is 128k DSL through a Vista-laden 7-year-old computer (which has a beautiful widescreen, but if I change it from 1024x768 my dad yells at me because he can't read it without his glasses). I can't install any new software; he's already upset I put Chrome on the computer. I have to get on a four-wheeler or in a car to get the internet, because it's at the hangar, not at home.

Naturally, I didn't bring my laptop with me, and I won't return home until Friday mid-day at the earliest. I spent two hours on the phone with T-Mobile, the result of which was "You're hosed for data roaming. Sorry." So, my beautiful Galaxy S is a really, really nice Nokia 9600 right now. I finally got it to send and receive MMS.

I am undeterred. I will meet my goals, and what's more, I'm going to make up for the bits I missed last Friday. So gently caress you, Fate! gently caress you, Montana! gently caress you, Windows Vista! gently caress you, Cellular One!

I'll see you all in three days, with a completed module. There's no crying in baseball.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Love the new title, by the way.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Goons and imaginary internet women, I am back in the land of internet and real computers. The deadline is just a hair under five hours away.

Let's fuckin' do this.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Lemon, you have to go and upstage me, don't you?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Holy poo poo, I might actually make it. I've reworked my Module 2 a bit so that I'm dumping the Consequences section off on the next module, but including some things that didn't make it into Module 1. This way, it will make a bit more sense.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I started planning the contents of Module Two half an hour before I made that post.

Well, I think we're even, because I just finished the bits I had planned to do. I'm going to try to throw together the Consequences chapter-thing before the deadline. It would be nice to be on schedule.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

This is my official Module 2 Submission

I believe I qualify for the Iron Determination bonus, in reference to my previous posts about being so far from the internet that I literally had to ride a four-wheeler to get to it and then getting back home today just in time to finish the bare minimum for this new module.

Traceuse, Module 2 Edition. We're very close to having a playable game here!

Now on the docket for Module 3 is Consequences (instead of Setting Fluff, which got moved to this module), Player Turns/Downtime, GM Advice, and Sample Mission.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

sc4rs posted:

If anyone wants to playtest Arenaball, let me know.

oh god it takes forever to play one game what have I done

Holy poo poo, I am reading these rules and this does seem like it might take forever. Have you considered having everyone submit moves and go simultaneously?

I should be able to set up a head to head game of Arenaball during playtest week!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

10/10

:dance:

Would you be willing to point out the biggest weakness in each submission? That would give us an area of improvement to focus on with this final module.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Tomorrow I may be taking a short break from reviews on account of a nasty eye infection. We'll see.

The same sort of thing happens to me every time I get inside Red_Mage('s work).

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

alakath posted:

Maybe it would be easiest if people just mention which game they're thinking about playtesting when they post their final submission?

On that note, I'm making reasonable progress on Deathrow LIVE!'s final pieces. I might even go to sleep before 2 a.m.!

I like this idea. I am planning on running a head-to-head playtest of ARENABALL in real life, I will provide photos and testimonials. Also, if anyone wants to playtest Traceuse, the sample scenario is written for two players and a GM. So, that will be easier to set up and run.

Edit: Also, may the Time Lords save whoever gets stuck with Intersector.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

MadRhetoric, if I have time I did say I would playtest your poopy butt poop. So, I'll try to get that happening next week.

I've got the last seven pages of my game all templated out, I'm going to try to get a few hours of sleep, wake up, and get this poo poo done before I have to leave and pick up the kiddos (which would otherwise be during my usual cram time).

This should be fun.

Oh yeah, sample characters. Can't forget those.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I have overcome some serious obstacles to get through this contest. Some of you who have families and, you know, real lives will understand. Now, with a few minutes short of two hours remaining, six pages left to do, and an adorable daughter who wants my attention, it's time to get my priorities straight.

The game will be finished tomorrow. These moments are just for today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I should be home in an hour or so, I can hop on and help playtest then.