Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't even know why I posted that, its not as though this is worth getting in a fake argument about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Chickencheesemug is the only thing that is stopping this thread from being a complete failure.

No nothing stopped that.

I mean you didn't even eat the eggs.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

signalnoise posted:

I don't even know why I posted that, its not as though this is worth getting in a fake argument about it

Aren't fake arguments are the point of internet forums?

Chickencheesemug is the only thing that is stopping this thread from being a complete failure.

You would know about things being a complete failure in GWS, wouldn't you? :colbert:

*edit* drat, beaten. I should refresh pages.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What's this poo poo? Are you calling out Ricola for being a complete failure in GWS?

Son, Ricola's lapse in eggeating, while lamentable, does not in any way discount from his years of Quality Posting in this forum.

In short, you dumb.
:frogout:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Doh004 posted:

You would know about things being a complete failure in GWS, wouldn't you? :colbert:

Hahaha, are you making GBS threads me? What have you done in this forum that is remotely worthwhile compared to him?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Hahaha, are you making GBS threads me? What have you done in this forum that is remotely worthwhile compared to him?

Agreed 100% with this.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mediaphage posted:

He ate the eggs, at least :smug:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

That joke has more than outlived its usefulness or humor. Let's go back to making fun of furries from ohio.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Manuel Calavera posted:

I actually never had to eat the eggs :smithmouth:

Also holy poo poo, you guys get angry. You should chill and eat a chickencheese.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Yo bros, can we please not bring non-chickencheese drama into this pro-chickencheese thread?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jazzahn posted:

Yo bros, can we please not bring non-chickencheese drama into this pro-chickencheese thread?

Never say bros again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

Never say bros again.

Why must you threadshit this wonderful thread?

I swear, GWS regulars are the worst.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
All of these sandwiches have a huge amount of bread :can:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
If people feel so inclined to hate this thread and everything it "stands" for, please vote 1 and move on. We get that chicken + cheese + maybe veggies + maybe (but most definitely) bread make you angry, but really it's just a sandwich.

*edit* Not trying to backseat-mod, just asking :shobon:.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The non egg eating was a pretty shameful act.

It's like you cant trust people on the internet to keep their word anymore.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Doh004 posted:

I really like Ricola, and know him for quality posting. I am sorry that you're disagreeing with that assessment. However I may habour a certain bias.

Could you please explain how it is that the salsa chicken of sandwiches is quality posting - is it the cameraderie around calling each other 'bro'? Is it the usage of inner city written slang? What specifically is it?

I am sorry, but this thread filled with "baby's first attempt at making a meal unsupervised by mommy" is baffling to me, it is good fun - I understand that, but it is only half a step up from meat ship, and the lingo around it is taking it back down.

I started out by seriously thinking that there were racial prejudice exhibited in the thread, specifically because of the usage of the slang while producing something so elementary and backwards that it was a poorly hidden pun on the perceived inaptitude of a different segment in the population than the middle class boys I suspect you to be..

To my relief it turned out to just be idiotic.

Please continue.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
As always, a happy hat improves all threads.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Happy Hat, in all seriousness I understand that my skills as a cook are amateur at best. To be honest this started out as a silly joke that we had on mumble and I decided it would make a silly thread. I didn't realize GWS was so uptight about bro jokes and low brow humor (Though I do think a good deal of the poo poo was funny, and I know other people enjoyed it as well) AS WELL AS people who are just learning to cook.

In my defense I was really hoping people would move away from JUST sandwiches, which is why I did the Paneer and Chicken Tikka Masala (from scratch).

To sum up, stop being so drat elitist about food and use creativity to come up with chickencheese that ISN'T just a normal sandwich. Also, lighten the gently caress up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jazzahn posted:

Happy Hat, in all seriousness I understand that my skills as a cook are amateur at best. To be honest this started out as a silly joke that we had on mumble and I decided it would make a silly thread. I didn't realize GWS was so uptight about bro jokes and low brow humor (Though I do think a good deal of the poo poo was funny, and I know other people enjoyed it as well) AS WELL AS people who are just learning to cook.

In my defense I was really hoping people would move away from JUST sandwiches, which is why I did the Paneer and Chicken Tikka Masala (from scratch).

To sum up, stop being so drat elitist about food and use creativity to come up with chickencheese that ISN'T just a normal sandwich. Also, lighten the gently caress up.

See chickencheese pita :D

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

toplitzin posted:

See chickencheese pita :D

Toplitzin you are my chickencheese hero.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
And no I don't think Ricola is a failure. I was merely busting his balls because he came in here busting our balls. I thought that's what bros (ha) did.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jazzahn posted:

I like your posts/chknchzs but I think that people are mostly annoyed that lots of the posts with boringish sandwiches are basically proto-GWS, where people made stuff like this:

The Breakfast Log
The Hot Dog Rollup, Outdone?
The hot dog rollup isn't that filling
Hot Dog Roll-Up: The Post-Apocalyptic BBQ Breakfast Edition

An awesome chicken melt sandwich is great, but like the slow-cooker salsa chicken stuff, lots of posts in this thread are just encouraging people to make foods that, while they might be good, aren't really noteworthy and just kind of barf ingredients onto the bread enthusiastically.

Doh004: I would like to call out your lovely posting and garbageposts and challenge you to a cooking contest.

Name the terms and I will gently caress your poo poo up, loser suffers whatever consequences Happy Hat decides are reasonable.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004: I would like to call out your lovely posting and garbageposts and challenge you to a cooking contest.

Name the terms and I will gently caress your poo poo up, loser suffers whatever consequences Happy Hat decides are reasonable.

No thank you, I respectfully decline. I would get absolutely demolished :)

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Jazzahn posted:

Nothing about HH's post is elitist about food, he's merely commenting on how the thread is filled with the same thing over and over for the most part as well as BRO BRO BRO BRO.

Hell, the thread would be a lot better even if people would stop posting pictures of raw chicken boob and then too much chicken in one pan and just post their finished product (or at the very least only steps that actually contribute to what makes their finished product different than chickencheese 001-482 that have already been posted.)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Overall, I think GWS takes it self a bit too seriously at times.

One can sometimes get the feeling that if it's not Haute Cuisine or not "proper cooking" its not worth posting. (I realize there are exceptions, slow cooker, the "poor" thread, etc) While the amazing super effort super plating content is great, first and foremost SA was always a humor site.

I think sometimes we just need to sit back, eat a chickencheese, and just have some fun. You can only elevate a chickencheese (chicken philly cheesesteak) so far. It's drunken greasy street food for fucks sake. I'd love to see the Gravity deconstructed chickencheese, but at the same time I would eat the gently caress out of colhannibal's colonic destruction chickencheese doom dip.

TLDR: Can't we all just eat along?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

toplitzin posted:

Overall, I think GWS takes it self a bit too seriously at times.

AI would get mad about a nice, old car being neglected. PI would be up in arms if someone wasn't taking care of their pets properly. Why can't GWS be mad at people who mess up food? I am by no means as talented in the kitchen as the regulars here (nor do I always have the money to do some of the things that I want to), but I use this forum to get ideas and improve my craft. This thread does none of those things.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mediaphage posted:

That joke has more than outlived its usefulness or humor. Let's go back to making fun of furries from ohio.

If we still had :furry:, that would be my reply. I still love you tho, mediaphage.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

toplitzin posted:

You can only elevate a chickencheese (chicken philly cheesesteak) so far.
This is exactly the point that ricola, HH and various others have been making. when the thread is so narrowly focused, there's nowhere to go but down.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MasterFugu posted:

This is exactly the point that ricola, HH and various others have been making. when the thread is so narrowly focused, there's nowhere to go but down.

I'd counter that, with look what items myself, hannibal, and Jazzahn have done. Chickendip ChickenPita, and PaneerChicken. poo poo, I'm surprised there hasn't been a blackened chicken alfredo, or a chicken cordon blue, or so many other variants of chickencheese.

AI, PI, all have their oh god this is silly threads too. Car Game, Horrible Car poo poo, "You look like an idiot."

There should always be a bit of room for sillyness. at least in this case our sillyness is with something thats actually pretty tasty and reasonable.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

toplitzin posted:

One can sometimes get the feeling that if it's not Haute Cuisine or not "proper cooking" its not worth posting. (I realize there are exceptions, slow cooker, the "poor" thread, etc) While the amazing super effort super plating content is great, first and foremost SA was always a humor site.

Honest to god who said anything about super effort plating? I'm loving terrible at plating (and food photography) and I contribute. Most of the people (like HH) are commenting on the narrow focus. There are a few people that are regulars that have that attitude I'll grant you but the vast majority of us just enjoy seeing new things posted and as long as a modicum of effort was made we don't care. Ignoring valid criticism and painting us all with that brush is incredibly lame.

Edit: What fugu said.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Toast posted:

Honest to god who said anything about super effort plating? I'm loving terrible at plating (and food photography) and I contribute. Most of the people (like HH) are commenting on the narrow focus. There are a few people that are regulars that have that attitude I'll grant you but the vast majority of us just enjoy seeing new things posted and as long as a modicum of effort was made we don't care. Ignoring valid criticism and painting us all with that brush is incredibly lame.

Edit: What fugu said.

I'm not at all painting everybody with the elitist brush. I'm just saying how i feel about GWS sometimes. I agree that GWS is an amazing resource. It just sometimes feels like do it right or don't do it at all.

I've been around when it was GBS food, and it was goon food only. And I also remember the swing to PURITY THE ONLY TRUE CARBONARA and THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE HOUMMUS.

Can't we all just gently caress around sometime?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

toplitzin posted:

I'm not at all painting everybody with the elitist brush. I'm just saying how i feel about GWS sometimes. I agree that GWS is an amazing resource. It just sometimes feels like do it right or don't do it at all.

I've been around when it was GBS food, and it was goon food only. And I also remember the swing to PURITY THE ONLY TRUE CARBONARA and THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE HOUMMUS.

Can't we all just gently caress around sometime?

Why are you using those as examples?

The Carbonara thread was named that because what most people think is carbonara is actually anything but.

As for the hummus, there have been about 8 billion hummus recipes posted in here since that time and it was one person's joke title?

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gbsfood type things (well some of them, most of the hotdog rollup vein were loving terrible.) My point is that there needs to be some actual ongoing new content.

Chicken shots in this thread...

bonus: how to slice bread shots

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

This thread reminded me about Frank's Red Hot + Butter. I think that's a good thing. I don't think that 'being redundant' is entirely bad given there are a few small differences that I, as an unskilled food person, took note of. Stuff like the order of seasoning and pan frying, etc.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Toast posted:

Why are you using those as examples?

The Carbonara thread was named that because what most people think is carbonara is actually anything but.

As for the hummus, there have been about 8 billion hummus recipes posted in here since that time and it was one person's joke title?

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gbsfood type things (well some of them, most of the hotdog rollup vein were loving terrible.) My point is that there needs to be some actual ongoing new content.

Those were what popped into my head, probably not the best examples.

I agree with the EpicMEalTime clone hate. I'm just saying, sometimes dumb is fun. Obviously we can't have every thread be silly, poo poo I've earned probation for trying to play calvinball in GBS a while back. Sometimes silly isn't funny anymore.

*shrug* I just really like this thread, think its sort of fun, and figured I'd roll with it. Sorta like RainbowCake.

Edit: VVVV I like you. Bro.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Can we please talk about what's good in life?

I forgot the chicken :downs:

Dice ya onion

Dice ya pepper. Let's cut those mushrooms up a bit too. Somewhere in between that, dice your beer. The chicken rolled into the party at this point. We're using chicken thighs today. Save the white meat for your mom's yoga class.

Prepare that loaf for the chickencheese filling.

Time to cook the chicken. Be sure to season it too.

Leave them drippings IN. Bro, cook those peppers and onions in it first. Nobody like a mushy shroom.

Lookin good

Mix in that thigh. Then remove most of it. Then add some. Then, try to fit the bread over it. Then remove some. Save it for later. My old man always said, a chickencheese saved is a chickencheese earned. Assemble into something resembling masonry. Easy on that heat.

Dat cheese. Get it melty.

Pour another beer, and construct. Paper thin layer of mayo.

Add like a dozen sports peppers.

drat, that was a really good sandwich. It's Thursday, time to rage.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Doh004 posted:

No thank you, I respectfully decline. I would get absolutely demolished :)

I think the way this thread riles people up is loving hilarious. Sure, it's baby's first food that isn't mac n cheez, but it's not horrible. It certainly doesn't deserve the amount of derision that certain types have heaped upon it.

But son, you are shameful. If you truly love chickencheese, you should take your contest on the chin. No chickening out. No cheesing the rules. Just do the best you can, and you'll be a better person for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm just happy the people that posted pics had clean kitchens.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
It's like all of GWS is having its period or something.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There's nothing wrong with salsa chicken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I seriously want to see more variations on this. I want to see how good out can really get while keeping with the spirit of the dish.