Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Orv posted:

That said, I think drop-in/drop-out DotA is a terrible, terrible idea.

It was in Monday Night Combat. People would ragequit so fast when they were losing so it would suddenly be 2v5 five minutes in. I don't really get why people quit so fast anyway, because MNC matches had a hard time limit of like 15-20 minutes anyway thanks to sudden death. There was no penalty for leaving, and by the time other people joined to fill in the empty slots on your team, the other team was already camping your base and killing you the instant you came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Is it just me or is Leon completely overpowered? There's absolutely nothing you can do about his invis, and he's like Riki/Nighthound with a Pudge/Devo/Blitz hook. How do you counter him?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Polo-Rican posted:

Did you know that you can hurt him while he's invisible? If you hit an invisible Leon, you see damage numbers rise out of seemingly thin air. This is basically how you deal with him.

It's pretty easy to determine how a player is playing Leon — does he always uncloak and attack when you try to push turrets? Does he always uncloak and attack when your health is low in a central arena? Once you've determined what the enemy Leon likes to do, start shooting around randomly in empty spots when your spidey sense tingles.

I can't count the number of times I've been attacking a turret solo, think "I haven't seen Leon in a while," turn around, and shoot, and bam, I see damage numbers. Once his element of surprise is gone it's easy to kill him, or at the very least, you know to get somewhere safer.

I like how this game's counter to invisibility is "fire everywhere blindly praying you hit him". This is really bad for characters like Clunk who have pretty much nothing to deal with it, because if you do anything but instagib him he gets away from you or murders you from full hp.

Lonestar's pretty stupid too, since bull is pretty much a get out of jail free card, but at least you can kill him if that's on cooldown. Or you're Leon.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah I find this really annoying. A mindless Lonestar will just push the enemies away again and again, making kills impossible.

Reminds me a bit of bad Furion players. :v:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Normal Adult Human posted:

They're not sidegrades. Lonestar is worthless without rubber casings and incendiary dynamite. Leon sucks without attack/move/explode clones and both tongue damage upgrades. Froggy G needs all the cooldown reduction on dash possible or else he can't anti-air for poo poo. Voltar can't do anything but hide behind clunk until like level 40. Derpl's actually pretty okay except for the fact he unlocks at level 19. Solar tree and piggy bank are the first and second best generic selections in the game, and the third best is a free +30 hp you unlock at level 39.

I really like this game but I feel like all the stuff you have to unlock that's so much better than default makes some characters feel worthless until they get it. And I don't like beating people just because my Froggy tornado had +40 damage on it and theirs didn't.

Orv posted:

So what am I missing about solar farming/generation? Even if I'm constantly defending and killing people I just keep falling levels and levels behind every time I have to go back. Is it just word of law to run the income stuff?

Make sure you get the health powerups from killing neutral enemies or the ones that sit around the map. You also can't be very aggressive initially, you really don't want to lose a lot of health at all before you get some HP regen/HP upgrades. HP regen is totally underrated, I like it better than money tree because it means you can stay out there fighting longer.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 6, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I love when other people pick him when I'm Froggy, because I can get really aggressive and come back to recover some health quick. He's already really good at hit and run, he's just even better when he doesn't have to worry how much health he loses in the process.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Derpl is so fun, I love that guy. Derpl + Voltar + Clunk is the best pubstomp team, the healing turret makes it so hard to kill you so can just go into siege mode, blow poo poo up, and tank a turret and 2 guys. Also outdamages Leon hard in siege mode.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Rematch is the only guaranteed way to get a match that just started for the most part. I always do that if I'm not stomping or getting stomped repeatedly.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
After playing Leon, it seems like the best counter to him is not trying to split push. Go with your team, and gets lots of disables/damage up close.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

victorious posted:

How do you all-chat? I had some people trying to talk to me last night and I couldn't reply because '/all [text]' didn't work :/

Shift-enter.

vvvv np :)

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

miscellaneous14 posted:

Seriously, I'm really wondering what's the deal here. It could be another case like when Uber Entertainment only listened to the loudmouth idiots on their forums on how to balance Super Monday Night Combat.

This is still better than "instant kills are no fun, everyone gets a million health now".

Actually come to think of it I hated Voltar anyway because of that.

• Locked thread