Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Manuel Calavera posted:

Same. I was smart and bought earplugs for my buddy and I so we're not deaf.

That is very important. I was at a SYL gig in the early 90s and it was so loud my ears hurt after. Don't end up with the tinnitus I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
If devy's bass bombs arent hitting you like a cannonball to the chest you are too far from the stage.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Will be seeing him for what may be the 7th time in jan/feb or something. I live in London and he always comes here so have been lucky to see the Casualties show, the retinal circus, royal albert and a few other bits and bobs.

I really hope he sorts his mixing out, most of the shows simply drown out a lot of things in bass for some reason :(

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

RDreamer posted:

Digging the album, but I do think it kind of lacks its own identity within Townsend's entire discography. It's a pretty solid album overall, so don't let that critique fool you. It just sounds like more Devin Townsend, that's all. There's no wrench thrown into it like with something like Ziltoid or Ki or Ghost or Epicloud, etc. I also think starting the whole thing off with an previously used iconic album opener like Truth really kind of hurts it in that regard.

Absolutely, I think it's better than anything else he's done since Casualties of Cool but it feels more like a B-Sides/unreleased collection than anything. Definitely good B-Sides, but it never really feels like a cohesive album - something Devin's usually very good at - and the fact various parts of different songs sound like they came from specific periods in his back catalogue makes it a weird listen overall. The individual songs are all good though, so I'm still enjoying it.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I kind of feel the same. The songs are definitely good individually but I don't feel much of a hook or a tone on this album. Sometimes it feels like the songs are edging on amazing and powerful but something just seems to be holding those back. I also feel like the vocals are missing a certain intensity in places, kind of like when he's belting stuff out it should turn into a snarl or a scream. I'm not disappointed but neither am I blown away. Definitely better than Sky blue though.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

150% agreed. Nothing on the album is bad, but it doesn't have an identity outside of "a Devin album". I feel the same way about Epicloud - everything else he's done has a 'vibe' running through it, but this one's a bit all over the map.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Now that I've had a chance to get to know Transcendence a bit more there are a bunch of things I think

- Deconstruction is my favourite DTP joint and I reckon I like this album only a little less than that one
- Stars took a while to click for me but it's become one of my favourite songs, and I can't think of anything else in Devin's catalogue that sounds at all similar to it
- Failure really sounds like it could have been a Terria leftover
- It's really interesting that both the opening and closing tracks on this are covers (if you consider Truth to be Devin covering himself)
- Transdermal Celebration is really drat good and Ween is also good

21 Hoot Salute posted:

You've always had good music opinions. (mostly)
You know it baby! Also bedroom black metal is Good, and Correct.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

+ Echoing the sentiment that this album seems a bit all over the place. It's closer to having a specific sound/atmosphere than Epicloud and Sky Blue were but it still doesn't come close to the level of consistency he had with, like, Terria. I really really like Terria

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The Devy Fanclub in Japan posted a tweet to help people not accidentally buy Crimson Glory's album of the same name :3:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Proper metalheads buy/own both :colbert:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Stoat posted:

The Devy Fanclub in Japan posted a tweet to help people not accidentally buy Crimson Glory's album of the same name :3:

They've made the incorrect choice.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So whats the setlist like for this tour?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I listened to the new Truth and I don't think it sounds good at all

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schizotek posted:

So whats the setlist like for this tour?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/devin-townsend-project-4bd48fde.html

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

21 Hoot Salute posted:

BUT

:57 in Truth is different slightly and adds an extra downbeat into it. Kinda ruins that part IMO. Rest of the song owns though.

stfu you're wrong

Amazing how an opinion can turn the corner in a week. I now LOVE :57 in Truth.

In fact the whole album is AMAZING and paid off every hype I had for it in dividends.

3:22 in Stormbending, 6:00 in Secret Sciences, 7:56 in Higher, 3:01 in From the Heart are the kind of moments I go crazy for

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Not related to the new album, but the Casualties of Cool live DVD is so good.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

21 Hoot Salute posted:

3:22 in Stormbending
Stormbending totally rules.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

i really wanted to like this release more

i listened to it and was like "There's some good stuff in here but some filler too"

and then i just went right back to listening to the latest russian circles, which loving destroys

and then the new eluvium came out and now i can't listen to anything else

oh well

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Those On My Left posted:

i really wanted to like this release more

i listened to it and was like "There's some good stuff in here but some filler too"

and then i just went right back to listening to the latest russian circles, which loving destroys

and then the new eluvium came out and now i can't listen to anything else

oh well

Ok your music taste is literally identical to mine (Eluvium is still one of my top picks of the last few years) but I could not get into the new RC. I'll try again I guess!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Stoat posted:

Ok your music taste is literally identical to mine (Eluvium is still one of my top picks of the last few years) but I could not get into the new RC. I'll try again I guess!

killer tracks are vorel and afrika, but really all of it is quite good

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Disc 2 is INSANE :stwoon:

Standouts include Support the Cause, Into the Sun, Time Overload, Farther on, Victim

Time Overload is just so.... fun

OH TIIIIME!

You give me time overloaaaad

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Guys I think Devin got the discs the wrong way round.

Disc 1 has some great songs but sounds like an unreleased song collection bonus disc, disc 2 is a cohesive album I'd say sounds like if SYL recorded Addicted 2 - snarlier, heavier but still full of energetic pop hooks and fun electronics. Disc 2 is a straight up return to form, top tier Devin Townsend album.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

il_cornuto posted:

Disc 1 has some great songs but sounds like an unreleased song collection bonus disc, disc 2 is a cohesive album I'd say sounds like if SYL recorded Addicted 2 - snarlier, heavier but still full of energetic pop hooks and fun electronics. Disc 2 is a straight up return to form, top tier Devin Townsend album.

I think it's so funny how much Offer Your Light fits in to the second disk. I think the real problem is Dev gets up his own rear end about his "theme" and ends up tossing out some great tunes in exchange. Thank god for bonus tracks.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I was really surprised by offer your light on my first listen. Had all this other stuff going on that kinda fit together then boom, super fast synths and drums. At that moment my attention was wavering a little bit but then got a hell of a kick.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

il_cornuto posted:

That's a great way to describe Disc 2, actually. I love it. It's addicting as gently caress.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
So whats up with the coordinates all up on devys IG? A treasure hunt?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

il_cornuto posted:

Disc 2 is a straight up return to form, top tier Devin Townsend album.

I agree. It's a great treat, and it makes me think that he wanted to create the kind of dichotomy that deconstruction and addicted had.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Another agreement about the second disk. Seems to have that fun back into the music with all the slight oddities and more ambitious vocals. Just makes the first disk seem even more 'serious' than it already is. You just feel a bit more energy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wow this album is insanely boring, it sounds like a disc of rejected Epicloud B-sides. I'll give the second CD a listen though!

edit: okay Offer Your Light kicks rear end. I guess I'll see if it grows on me as an album, there's definitely a lot going on in it but it has a kind of samey and... uninspired? feel to it that makes my attention wander.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 12, 2016

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Saw Devin last night in Orlando. What a show. Rejoice, Higher, Kingdom, and March of the Poozers were highlights for me. Also Grace as an encore, and Devin whipping out the acoustic for an audience singalong of Ih-Ah! First time seeing him, I'll definitely be catching him whenever he's around.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Kumbamontu posted:

Saw Devin last night in Orlando. What a show. Rejoice, Higher, Kingdom, and March of the Poozers were highlights for me. Also Grace as an encore, and Devin whipping out the acoustic for an audience singalong of Ih-Ah! First time seeing him, I'll definitely be catching him whenever he's around.

I was there too! Just moved to Orlando, and already the music scene is way loving better than Miami's. I mean the rest of the city is a cultural wasteland, but nobody ever played Miami on their tours :saddowns:
Also poor Fallujah, the saddest mosh pit.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I think last night's show might be the best I've seen of Devin. Let's see, the show's I've been too... Alien, Epicloud, and... at least one in between, can't think what tour it was, though. Compared to the last show, Devy seemed to be enjoying himself a lot more, which is great. The sound was good too; my one complaint there is that his guitar is too quiet on the second half of By Your Command, which is a drat shame because it's so awesome.

Really good setlist. I think I'm the rare Townsend fan who has never ever cared for In-Ah!, but it was still really cool to see him do an acoustic.

Crowd was really good. I don't think the mosh pit was that large even for the Alien show. Man, I thought it was large enough, and then Kingdom starts and people are pushing me aside from behind me to rush in.

My one disappointment is that he didn't play Planet of the Apes, considering who else he has on tour with him. Grace is a cool song, but I don't feel like I need to see it again, given it's presence on all the recent live DVDs and my last live show. Apes would've been a perfect encore.

Really good show. Going back to Orlando in a month for Meshuggah. (If you saw a guy with the glow in the dark Meshuggah Koloss shirt, that was me.)

edit: Just thought of a piece of advice that could be helpful. If you want to get the best shirt of the tour, you'll want to arrive early. Devin's selection of shirts were a little lacking, I think overall BTBAM's designs are more interesting. But the best shirt is the DTP one that says on the back: "LOWER MID TIER PROG METAL". By the time I got there, 7:45, they only had M and L sizes left. I usually wear XL, but these Gildon shirts are preshrunk, and thankfully the L fits me well.

Ask the merch guy to explain the yellow shirt. It... makes sense, I guess!

Revol fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 12, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to Devin interviews, he's a bit more happy with this album since he backed off a bit during the writing and recording process. He's schizo about being a frontman.

I think it works well. Ryan's drums are awesome.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

il_cornuto posted:

Been listening to the "demos" on Disc 2.

They are miles better than some of the stuff on Disc 1 idgi

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got myself too excited for this album I think. I've listened to it a few times and find it very, very boring. Disc 2 is better, though.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm still waiting on my copy :argh:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I feel bad for Fallujah. They were really good but compared to the two bands that followed them up last night, they were pretty drat forgettable.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

realbez posted:

I got myself too excited for this album I think. I've listened to it a few times and find it very, very boring. Disc 2 is better, though.

It really is like Terraria er Terria then.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Well they can't both be his second best album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I think I'm drifting away from Devin. I haven't really returned to this album after listening to it a bit for the first few days.

Oh well, glad he's still doing what he loves, has a good fan base, and is making money.

• Locked thread