Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Transcendence isn't quite what I wanted, but I'm still very happy with it. It still sounds more like Sky Blue and Epicloud than I would like, but the songwriting is much better. I think this is an album I will return to in the future, which I can't say for a few of his other recent albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

The only thing I need for Devin is to show up & play a bunch of old songs. Fortunately Anneke has been there every time and she does an amazing job :swoon:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I hate you. The only time I've ever seen Anneke is when I saw The Gathering years back.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Listened through that bonus disc. Gonna have to hear it in full a few more times before I can properly appraise it but oh my god Gump is ridiculously good :stwoon:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I was so gonna go see him tonight but yesterday I was sick as hell and I'm feeling sort of better today but I'm not sure my body could actually handle this experience tonight. I didn't buy my ticket ahead if time so I wouldn't lose out in that way but I've been arguing the pros and cons all day and if I liked the new album more this would be an easier decision but as it is and looking at the set list he's been playing it would be awesome but not really anything I haven't seen.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Listening to disc 2 for the first time right now. I like disc 1 well enough, so disc 2 is a hell of a bonus.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I saw Dev last night in NYC, it was pretty good.. but I can't help always feeling some small disappointment with the chosen track list. Devin even made a comment like trying to fit the span of your career of records into one show doesn't work at all lol.. so I get it.. it was mostly newer stuff. Kingdom is still one of the best live songs ever, but I thought Stormbending was kinda weak. Sing along to "Where We Belong" was cool. Always some of the most fun moshing at his shows for sure. Honestly, Accelerated Evolution is still my favorite album and I've never heard him play anything from that live so I'm sure that's why I'm always wanting more.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Just listening to it now. I'm not huge on the new Truth. It could be because I've been listening to Infinity for 15-20 years, but now that it sounds so clean it doesn't seem to have the same edge to it. Offer Your Light is the clear standout though, wow.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
So yeah im front row for devin

No live posting sorry krew

Im back i survived

Hell of a lot happier than he was in new york

Wife got a pick so shes happy

So for the 8th or 9th time I've seen Devin (first time i saw him was for the Infinity tour shut up and get off my lawn), he delivered..but yeah song selection made me slightly sad

stab fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 19, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just got my "pre-order" copy today.

Holy poo poo, the bass and kick drum in this sounds loving magnificent. I'm super impressed with how good this sounds.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm at the Columbus show. I am not metal enough to get into Fallujah. No idea if I'll be into Between the Buried and Me. I'm just here for Devy.

First act started an hour late. About 10 minutes after I got here with my buddy.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm at the Columbus show. I am not metal enough to get into Fallujah. No idea if I'll be into Between the Buried and Me. I'm just here for Devy.

First act started an hour late. About 10 minutes after I got here with my buddy.

Btbam is essentially dream theater, savatage and a generic death metal singer appearing once and a while.

Take it for what it may

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a very accurate description. Hell of a lot more appealing than Fallujah at least.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing him tomorrow in Detroit. My first concert in about 10 years, I am old. I am not looking forward to general admission and standing for 4 hours, because of the aforementioned oldness.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The second disk really is fantastic. The first disk works better as a complete work, but the second disk has got some loving brilliant songs on it.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I actually wish Fallujah was joining devy for his European leg later on, but alas :(

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

Seeing him tomorrow in Detroit. My first concert in about 10 years, I am old. I am not looking forward to general admission and standing for 4 hours, because of the aforementioned oldness.

Paid 10 bones extra for VIP seating. I'm there RIGHT NOW. gently caress yeah.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo DTP live :stare:

Fafenefenoiby
Aug 18, 2005

LEPROSY
This video is pretty cool and explains a bit about the suckiness of Sky Blue/Z2.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That video is pretty okay, but it's no this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMe8dUDgJ8c

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I didn't know there was a second disc

Holy gently caress this is so good :stare:

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Finally got around to buying Vai's Modern Primitive. Devin is amazing on The Last Chord.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Stormbending has a video and it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhcoLO8vZZU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Saw DTP last night. Final show of the tour and he seemed really happy to be back home: "I get to poop in my own toilet tonight!" :haw:

We missed Fallujah, doors were at 7:00, show was listed at 8:00 and we got there at like 8:20, so they either started before 8 or had a really short set. BTBAM sounded really good, they played the entirety of Coma Ecliptic and nothing else. Devin was fantastic. He's just effortlessly charismatic and constantly engages the crowd, and the band is great too. Kingdom sounds incredible live. I was up right against the barricade and he shook hands with the entire front row after the show, and was genuinely appreciative of the fans.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This was just posted on Devvy's Facebook page, further confirming that he doesn't know what rest is.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Kins posted:

This was just posted on Devvy's Facebook page, further confirming that he doesn't know what rest is.

Ocean Machine in some kind of ancient ruined ampitheatre? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Devin Townsend Live at Pompeii! :getin:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Devin's going full Pink Floyd.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm pretty sure it's the symphony, iirc he said that was next

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

HNNNNNNNGGG

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Devin keeps doing these frigging awesome special live shows, and this might be the best one yet. This had better be recorded in one way or another. I wonder what kind of interaction we would see with the orchestra. Will it be like Metallica's S&M, where he's playing music not originally written for an orchestra, or will he stick to those songs that make the easiest transition?

My God, think of the songs that could be taken to another level with an orchestra behind it. Everything I think of is just a list of my favorite Devy tracks. Pixellate, Earth Day, oh my god DEADHEAD

But... why Bulgaria? Not complaining, good for Bulgaria, I guess.

Everyone please vote so we don't run the risk of President Trump ending the world before September 2017

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Revol posted:

But... why Bulgaria? Not complaining, good for Bulgaria, I guess.

Probably because they were willing to pay for most/all of it

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Goddamn that is a long time ago, but then again the Royal Albert Hall show was announced ages before as well.

I happen to be living/dating a Bulgarian girl so theres a good chance I can go to this, if it doesn't go tits up.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo, the dream is real. His live performance of Funeral/Bastard/Death of Music at the Z2 concert was fantastic, I just can't imagine I'm going to be able to make it to Bulgaria to see it live. Oh well, another CD/DVD I'll be buying.

20 years later. Man, Devin is a great.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Devin and Che playing some Casualties of Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTW0Uf-34BA

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Uhhhhh, he wants 10 million for a project about dicks. :stare:

Also, in this interview Devin is pretty candid about a lot of things. Good read.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/devin-townsend-and-the-dollar10-million-cock-symphony

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Chromatic posted:

Uhhhhh, he wants 10 million for a project about dicks. :stare:

Hell, who doesn't?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Got an email this morning:

quote:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for purchasing tickets to see Devin Townsend Project on 17 March 2017 at the Eventim Apollo.

The venue doors will now open at 6.30pm and Devin Townsend Project will perform Ocean Machine in full during the first half of the show.

Well that so much drat better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

quote:

"[Vai] had - I think he would admit that as well - certain aspects of controlling that ended up backfiring on him.

"And there were certain aspects of my inability to articulate my discontent that resulted in me taking a dump in his guitar case. I had a hard time articulating myself! So you gotta go... I was like, 'I... you... you... aaahhhhh'"

Devy added: "Here's the best example of that: we did The Tonight Show. Management at this time was this really famous dude who did not get me. So we did The Tonight Show and the day before they put me in this thing where I'm supposed to rehearse all these moves, the whole lead singer poo poo.

"They had me looking at pictures of Axl Rose and I'm going, '... I hate this.' They spent a bunch of money to give me these big fake dreadlocks and whatever was hip at the time.

"So the day before The Tonight Show, me and my buddy Mark who's still one of my best friends - we shaved all of my hair. I shaved my eyebrows, I went to Walmart and got a pair of gray shorts and wrote my buddies' names all over myself - arms and everything."

Focusing on how he got to the backstage with the band and his buddy Mark, Devin added: "We were like, 'These guys suck. This sucks.' And Steve's in a lovely mood and Jay Leno's like, *funny voice* 'How you doin' kid?' So Mark's like, 'We should gently caress with them.'

"So we went into the backroom, there's an office there, a green room, a phone and all this stuff. So we locked the door, I took all my clothes off and started doing all these poses and Mark's like, 'You should stick that phone up your rear end.' So I did and we took a photo and it's online.

"If you look up online 'Devin Townsend phone in rear end,' it's a picture of me in the back room of The Tonight Show with a phone up my rear end. //it's not there, unfortunately :( // We thought it was funny!

"So we left, thinking nothing of it. We went to Jay Leno's desk, taking pictures mooning... Anyway, next morning, phone rings, management was like, 'What, in the gently caress, were you guys doing?!'

"And I was like, 'We played the show? What?' He's like, 'I can't believe you did that! Did you stick the phone up your rear end? Why would you do that?' I was like, 'No, I didn't,' but they had it on camera. 'They've got all these images of you with a phone up your rear end and now we can't come back!'

"So we went on tour after that, Steve by this point was thoroughly confused with my guitar pick saying, 'Don't use Jay's phone.'"

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new..._up_my_ass.html

• Locked thread