Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«45 »
  • Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

The explosion knocks Crystal up out of the water and she hits the sand a few seconds later with a heavy thunk. "Rickie!" Crystal shouts, sounding angry and excited. "What the gently caress did you do, girl!?" she demands. Sand slides off her in sheets, more when she brushes it emphatically. Half her clothes are ripped and stained. Crystal wobbles as she walks along the sand. "How'd you..." the screen draws her attention. "Gamma?" she asks. Tara gets a look. "I think it goods. Means you're not an obvious freak like me 'n Anna." Crystal raises her voice. "SARAH!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Anna

"I didn't mean like an ugly sweater from Grandma," Anna mutters, affronted by the idea of forcing something like that on the bot. The expanded readout goes past that and leaves her quite literally ruffled.

"'Does not possess a human appearance,' my fine feathered foot."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Cecilia

Feeling the weight of the situation, Cecilia remains quiet. The reference to other precognitives chills her. While she was never too familiar with all the latest news, especially in the mutant community, the little she did hear about those with psychic powers wasn't good. For a second, she considers putting down the pen and never picking one up again, but movement on the monitor reminds her of her friends and her... responsibility.

A sudden notion fills her, to right her own wrongs, and more. She is powerful, in her own way, and she can make the world a better place. She runs her hand through her hair, with a nod, "Understood."

Cecilia realizes class is over, and heads out back to the classrooms to find her friends.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2013 around 06:08

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tara

Oh. So it is a bad thing, Tara thinks to herself, hearing the reactions of her friends. They get labeled as being freaks and having grab-bag powers, while she's got the "good" end of the bargain. When she's the biggest freak of them all. When she's one bad day away from losing it. A voice wants tells her she's stronger than that, because she wants to believe that she's never going to have to hurt anyone again, never going to fall apart into little pieces, and have to struggle for months to bring all that back together again--and she's still not done from the first time. But more, louder voices tell her otherwise. Call her vicious, awful names. Too many of them true for her to push it all back down. Loser. Weak. Crazy. Freak. Monster. Murderer.

She tries to shake it off, struggling yet again to get back into the rhythm of her breathing. How many times has she had to calm herself today? Dr. Weylan warned her that it would be stressful, going back after so long, but he said that school would be good for her, and if she was honest, she believed it too. She looked around at her housemates, putting on a smile. She hadn't known them long, but she could feel something growing, or at least, so she hoped. "Hah, silly thing must not have been looking at me long. If I get stressed or upset or angry or sad or happy or just bored, spiders start appearing. Anyway, stupid classifications don't matter." She heads for the door with her friends.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Anna

"Detrimental to living a normal life," Anna huffs. Frowning, she fishes her necklace out from under her shirt and jingles the dog tag and ankh pendant. "Already got experience with that," she scoffs.

Tara's words are sage, even if some of the voices in her head are totally full of it. Anna looks to her and nods, smiling briefly. "Yeah. Probably some dumb official thing or something. Pigeonholing. Blah."

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tara

Tara, deep in her little gloom cloud, begins to giggle. "I'm sorry--but I just can't stop laughing. And it's awful, because you've got those big, beautiful bird wings, and you've been pigeonholed. I'm an awful, terrible, person, and this--" she breaks down into full-on, breathless, cathartic laughter at the wretched, awful, silly little joke. Slowly, she regains her breath. "Sorry, I don't know what came over me."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah hit three things. First, the water. Then, the water again. Then the wall. Out of which hurt most... well, it was a tough call. Probably the wall though.

Yeah, definitely the wall.

As she lies there, the sand disappearing out from underneath her and the room fading back to normal, Sarah tries very hard not to think all sorts of rude and insulting words up onto the display. And breathe.

"Guys..." She stares straight up at the ceiling. "Just give me a minute." Her leg was really starting to hurt. "...I don't think I like this class very much guys."

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tara

"I'm sorry about your leg, Sarah." She glances down at it, but she can't keep her eyes on it for long. I guess not everyone is 'lucky' enough to be made of spiders. "I don't really know first aid, but I think I can numb your leg for a while, at least until we can get you down to the nurse." She holds out a finger. "I have to warn you though--it involves spider venom, but I totally have the antidote."

Administering a spider venom (Weaken 5) tailored to Dexterity that should produce the effect of numbing Sarah's leg--if she says yes.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"What? Venom?" Tilting her head slightly, Sarah manages to raise an eyebrow at her arachnid-based classmate. "... err, thanks, but no thanks." She forces a smile, raising into a sitting position. That elicits a few winces.

"A hand getting to whatever kind of nurse they have here would be great though." She sticks up an arm, hoping to be helped to her feet. "...please tell me the nurse isn't another robot."

At the back of her mind, she wondered if there was a way to incorporate spider venom into an alarm clock. That was a threat that really got you moving.

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tara

Tara shrugs. "Just as well. The antidote was more spider venom."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Without anything more needing to be said, Cecilia leaves the room. She figures that the rest of her class would be in the actual Powers room, so heads that way. She spots friendly Red and Orange houses on the way, who must have been let out of class by now and where heading back to their houses before dinner. Does she choose to stop and wave and chat, or head straight back to her housemates!!?

As Blue House gather themselves, bitch about the screen and their Greek rankings, and try to poison Sarah on top of her other injuries; the other side of the dome suddenly comes back into sight. Quickly followed by Purple House, who don't look half as messed up as Blue House did. In fact, they don't look messed up at all!

Not that they seemed to care that much. The seeming shy one of them looks with shocked and sorry wide-eyes at the beaten up House. "What the gently caress happened to you guys?" The one who had the force field asks, as the Purples besides those two start to walk out of the testing hemisphere.

A screen was on the wall for them as it had for the Blues:
pre:
Jessica Acker		Alpha
Maria Alvarado		Delta
Tess Beauchene		Alpha
Jaqueline Hill		Alpha
Sherri Miejer		Alpha
Aisha White		Beta

Alpha - 10% of total mutant population. Powerful mutant abilities that are fully controllable
and are useful offensively, with abilities capable of serious threats. Possess a normal human
appearance.

Beta - 10% of total mutant population. Powerful mutant abilities that are useful offensively
but are not fully controllable, abilities capable of serious threats. Possess a normal or
close to normal human appearance.

Delta - 50% of total mutant population. Mutant abilities that are fully controllable but are
weaker, not obvious, or narrower in application. Possess a normal human appearance or close
to it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Rickie

"Well, things were going great until I discovered my power is totally explosive under the right conditions." Rickie takes off her hat and examines the scorch marks with a critical eye. "This was my only hat, too."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"I been bit by spiders before, Tara, not sure you wanna do that..." Crystal warns, hesitant. She shifts and helps Sarah stay standing. "Should get you to first aid quick," she tells her. "That leg is not lookin' fun."

"Paint explosion," Crystal tells the purples. "Not the fun kind. Don't worry Rickie, I've got hats you can borrow." She shifts Sarah a little to see how well she can move. "Gimme a hand here," she says to the other blues. "I'm bettin' Sarah wants to have both her legs at dinner."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Not everything in life can be solved by spider venom."

Leaning on the crystal girl was uncomfortable, but it provided a good, steady support. Which was just as well, because her leg hurt. Still, at least now she could hobble along uncomfortably.

"Let's get out of here before Professor Gloom decides to have another go."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Rickie

"Thanks, Crystal, but I can probably paint over most of the scorch marks. If it comes down to it, I can just paint an entire hat." True to form, the artist paints herself an enormous novelty cowboy hat. An errant lock of hair protrudes through the side, however. She keeps the hat long enough to grin at Crystal, then sort of drops it into her shirt and moves to support Sarah on the other side. "Everyone else okay? Tara, you got kind of exploded, you still mostly with us, girl?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

"You blew yourselves up? That's pretty hardcore." The girl congratulates Rickie and the Blues on the awesome sounding feat. "Sucks if you only found out now. If you knew that before you wouldn't be in here, right? Just about the only thing those supercops understand is blowing poo poo up." The painted cowboy hate gets half a laugh and a small grin from the girl.

"Umů" The shy, nervous girl speaks up, which doesn't look like it's something that she does all that often. "The sickbay only has robots in it." She tells Sarah quietly. "I don't think you want to go there." Sarah, in return, gets a pretty sudden and pretty large headache looking up at and listening to her.

"Jaq! Maria! loving hurry up." One of the voices from the near fight in the classroom hollers down at the Purple pair. "Yeah, yeah." The more outspoken one half-assedly calls back, heading down the hallway.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Uh, great." Sarah rolls her eyes, the only part of her that doesn't hurt too much. "More robots. Still better go though." She massages one temple. "My leg and head are killing me."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Anna

"I think Professor Gloom accidentally discovered that Blue House's secret weakness is robots," Anna offers to the pair of curious Purples. This coming from the girl with nary a scorch mark or splash on her.

Robots in sick bay? "I don't think we've got much choice," she tells the shy Purple. "Unless someone's in here for healing the sick." It's possible, isn't it? Sarah's in for messing around with the moneychangers, after all.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Rickie's hat gets a half-laugh from Crystal too. "Mark you as an outsider if you ever went to Texas in that," Crystal tells Rickie. "We smacked those robots down, we can handle 'em, if we need to," Crystal says with seeming genuine confidence. "C'mon."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

"Umů ok." The shy girl remits. "I hope you get better. And I hope the robots help. And notů you know." She tells Sarah, before falling in line with the rest of her housemates and hurrying back to the classroom. As she scarpers to get back to her House, Sarah noticeably feels her headache easing.

Blue House haul Sarah up and head that way themselves. They need to wait for the classvator to get back down, the Purples having gone up on their own. Good riddance too, it was safe to say. The Blues pile in and wait for the class to move, which it did in a far more gentle way then it came down. Nobody, not even the injured Sarah, fell over this time.

There are no signs pointing to the sick bay once they get up into the building proper again, but being bright young things they remember the map in their orientation packs showing that it was its own building adjacent to the main building. Wasting no time or making Sarah suffer for a moment longer, they hustle out the door and head for medical assistance.

Cecilia, paralysed with indecision as the two other Houses come and go, is fortunate as she sees her beloved Blues bursting out of the main building and running off somewhere.

The rest of Blue House come to the sick bay, which looked more like a shed than anything else. If it didn't have the red cross on the front there would be no telling different. The door in doesn't budge, with only the digital display next to the door lighting up instead.

pre:
Time of injury:
Class taken at time of injury:
Type of injury:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Her headache abated as the shy girl ran off. Sarah wasn't in that much pain that she couldn't put 2 and 2 together. Whatever power the girl had, it didn't sound fun.

The sick bay was... not impressive. It was a shed. A fancy shed, maybe, but still a shed. Still, her leg really hurt.

"Let me in!" Sarah bangs one fist uselessly against the door. The glowing display next to it caught her attention, and she directed her focus at it. "I burned my leg in Powers class just now. I dunno... 4:30? Just let me in."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

The screen fills itself out as Sarah shouts at the shed to open up.
pre:
Time of injury: 4:30
Class taken at time of injury: Powers
Type of injury: Burnt leg
There is then the sound suspiciously like a vending machine kicking into gear, combined with one of those old and loud printers. A few seconds of this and a slot in the door opens up, and out comes a square red bandage like a ticket from a carnival game. The slot then snaps shut, leaving the square red bandage precariously dangling in the wind. 'Apply to area' is written on the front and back of the strip. The sick bay is otherwise silent.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Woah, Sarah!" Crystal warns, as she tries to keep under her housemate, enough to support her. At least Sarah's spirits aren't damped any. The Texan helps Sarah into the room and winds up taking the bandage from the machine. "This is a very weak joke," she say darkly. A look to Sarah. "Wanna try it?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Anna

"...Anyone else expect a door to open and a bunch of big steel arms wearing Mickey Mouse gloves to reach out and grab her?"

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tara

Tara raises an arm, weakly.

"I wonder if it freaks out if you say you got hurt in the hall between classes? Weird that a school with dozens of--people like us doesn't have a real doctor."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Rickie

"I was expecting... I don't know. A spray of foam, an array of glowing probes, a robot that looks suspiciously like a doctor with buzzsaw arms and laser eyes..." Rickie snags the bandage and crouches to inspect Sarah's leg. "This is almost mundane."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Cecilia

Spotting the Blues, Cecilia hustles to catch up. She finds them huddled around some sort of shed, holding what looks like a red bandage over Sarah's equally-red leg. Cecilia grimaces, "Oh no, the fire got you?"

A sudden pang of guilt runs through her.

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tara

"Apparently Rickie's paint is really, really flammable. My spiders were only kind of flammable and I lost I bunch, but they're easy enough to replace, but I do feel a lot lighter now...Sarah's leg got pretty messed up though." She frowns, looking from Sarah's injury to Cecilia. "So, what happened, Cee? Ms. Frost had you for the whole class."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Cecilia

Cecilia gulps. Do I tell them the whole story, or do I keep it secret for just a bit longer. Like many things in life, she ends up splitting the difference in an awkward mess. "Well, she's going to be teaching me about my powers. I can't really use them offensively. It was like a prediction, I said there would be fire, and then we saw you all fighting those robots and there was already a fire. I think I learned something..."

She frowns a bit, "Superpowers are hard."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"I was expecting, like... a fire extinguisher, or something." Sarah stares in disbelief at the bandage. "After those robots... I mean, at least they didn't look like they came from Walmart."

The bandage was a pretty poor effort. On the other hand, could it really make things any worse?

"Let's just get the stupid thing on my leg and get out of here. Maybe I can get some ice or something back in the House." She spreads the charred edges of her jeans away from the burn as best she can. "Slap it on, Crystal."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

And slap it on she does, sticking the bandage right in the centre of the burn. Where it goes on to sting like hell, for Sarah it feels like somebody decided to stab her burnt leg a dozen times in a row. But then the pain stops, both from the bandage and the burn itself, because the whole leg just plain goes numb.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Crystal makes sure Sarah has her balance, then crouches down and slaps the bandage over the wound.
Nothing happens. Crystal looks up. "How's it feel?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Rickie

"You're telling me?" Rickie replies to Cecilia. "At first it was kinda cool, and totally metal. Flaming unicorns are just completely badass. Then I realized I couldn't actually control how fast it burned, and I was coated in the same stuff, and I was a danger to everyone else in the room..." the artist looks miserable. "We're just lucky it happened in a controlled environment." She pauses, thinking of Professor Gloom, "...for a certain definition of 'control', anyway."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Anna

"Maybe luck. Maybe... but what are the odds something would be setting your paint on fire someplace else?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Son of a - ugh." The pain flares up at first, but within moments it has vanished completely - along wit any other sensation in her leg. Sarah pokes it a few times to make sure - yep, totally numb.

"Well, it doesn't hurt any more." She clambers to her feet, unsteady on the numb leg. "Can't feel a thing. Guess that's something."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Cecilia

With relief that Sarah seems to be okay, she brightens. "So... it's a free period, right? What should we do? Game at the gym?"

Cecilia looks over the grounds, hoping to spot another House doing something exciting.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Rickie

"I'm gonna go check out the art room. And maybe the science lab." Rickie paints over the scorch marks on her clothes. The wet look she can't do much about at the best of times. She blinks, then hits herself in the head with the heel of one hand. "Oy, I was going to ask Professor Gloom- or Spider-Bot, I was probably going to get more of a response from her faithful minion- about my letter!"

"Eh, Tabby will probably know. Anyone for exploring the grounds with me?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Crystal backs off slowly, until she sees Sarah standing more or less on her own. "Gym?" Crystal asks Cecilia, her voice managing to mix support and disbelief. "Kinda like to see more of what the school has to offer. Football field?" she says hopefully.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah shrugs.

"Yeah, I'm up for looking round if you don't mind me slowing you all down." She raps her knuckles against the numb knee. "Not like it'll hurt me. And I wouldn't mind running into Professor Gloom outside her little training room." A glint of anger passes across her eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tara

"I'll go around the grounds with you, Rickie." Her stomach, or whatever she has approximating one, grumbles loudly. "But could we get something to eat first? Then we can have a look around."

• Locked thread
«45 »