Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Eesh." Rickie strips the pigment off of herself, gathering it in her cupped hands. "We can't gently caress this up, then, huh? First steps and all that." As she talks, a small mushroom cloud erupts in her hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"If the school experiment fails then it will only feed into the media line and public perception that mutants are all dangerous and need to be registered. And 'Muties vs. Flatscans' is only going to end up hurting a lot of people." She repeats herself, having left Cecilia's chair and flopped back onto her own. It's punctuated by a heavy sigh, Tabby staring up at the ceiling for a good few moments before looking back to her house. "Christ. This is getting kinda heavy for first day getting to know each other, huh?" She asks the rhetorical question. "Let's just save this for Society class tomorrow, it's made for discussing this sort of crap."

Of course, that left a bit of silence as the topic of discussion was postponed. "You girls hungry?" Tabby decides to try and move away from the previous subject decisively. "Pizza?" She suggests.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 9, 2012

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia pipes up at the mention of a piping hot pizza pie. She brightens visibly, "Oh! I haven't had a pizza in a ages!"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Getting heavy? Why shouldn't it? It is heavy. Crystal doesn't say that, though. Neither does she say that she's not really hungry, not since the change. Instead she makes a perfunctory, acquiescing nod. "Sure," she says.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

The artist's stomach gurgles. "Yes, please. The last thing I ate was half a donut I wheedled off a guard on the bus."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

There wasn't really a comeback to that. Sara's stony silence was broken only by:

"Pepperoni and jalapenos, no mushrooms... please."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Jalapenos?" Crystal asks, perking up, actually maybe adding a small smile. "Ground beef?" she suggests.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"I'm probably the only one that likes Hawaiian here, and I don't think I could eat a whole one, so whatever you guys want will be fine. Mostly."

"No anchovies."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"...Pizza?" The Forbidden Snack. In the many years since she had begun training in gymnastics, she had only had it once, a gloriously greasy slice at the roadside when the bus broke down on the way to that regional final so long ago. No, only coach-approved meals for her.

"Everything." She says in a hushed voice, barely believing the words passing her lips. "I want one with everything they can put on it. Pineapple and sausage and anchovies and ham and whatever else they can find. Or just one with pepperoni and extra cheese, if that's too much, then I'll try a bit of everyone's."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"The cafeteria's still having the last few bits hooked up and finished off, so it's not quite ready to use yet." Their House Mother explains. Mentally taking the orders, Tabby raises a momentary eyebrow at the request from Tara. But then she smiles. "Hey, that's why the school has an expense account right?" She pulls a red smartphone of some kind from her pocket and phones in the order to Mean Streets Pizza. Tabby then picks up her files and crap from the chair and turns to put it away properly in her room. "Keep an eye on the time, if it's longer than thirty minutes we get it for free!"

Twenty eight minutes later and the four pizzas are laid out on the kitchen bench, piping hot and filling the room with the glorious smell of pizza pie. Hawaiian, veggie, pepperoni and ground beef with jalapenos (no mushrooms) and the Everything (mozzarella, mushrooms, onions, pineapple, kalamata olives, capsicum, peppers, aubergine, ham, sausage, bacon, ground beef, pepperoni and anchovies on a garlic and herb tomato sauce base). And the free garlic bread, wrapped up in tin foil, if anybody cared for it. Tabby takes a couple slices of the veggie on a paper plate before slumping back in the seat which formerly held her notes. Her hair is still a little damp from the shower she took while the food was being delivered, and had changed into a loose fitting tee emblazoned with a faded Jaws poster and a pair of gray sweat shorts. She really doesn't look that much older than any of you.

"Mmhmm." Tabby mumbles in a positive manner, mouth full of pizza. "Didn't realise how hungry I was." She says when her mouth was less full of pizza. "I've been in meetings with Ms. Frost just about all day, haven't had a chance to really eat anything."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

She lifts up the heavy slice, a dozen toppings so thickly layered on top it seems almost impossible that it can hold together, even as Tara holds it with both hands. She takes a bite, barely able to get the slice in her mouth. "This pizza..." She takes another bite, beginning to laugh, "is absolutely terrible." And she just can't stop--laughing or eating that slice of pizzabomination.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

There was a visible layer of grease on top of all the cheese - hell, you could practically see yourself in some of the larger pools. That doesn't stop Sarah from practically inhaling the first slice. Her last meal had been a long time ago, and it hadn't been so good.

"Hey, don't waste it." She waved a half-eaten slice to make her point. "Does look pretty gross though. It's practically a Buddha."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia snags a piece of the veggie, enjoying herself for the first time in a while. She smiles as she finishes the last bite, "If only somebody had pizza superpowers..."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

The crystalline girl picks up a hefty wad of napkins and lays it across the top of the pizza, pressing each sheet down until its soaked, then tossing it away and repeating the process until much of the excess grease is gone. For all the effort she doesn't eat it that fast, taking small nibbles, barely halfway through when others are going for their second and third. "Captain Italy?" she suggests as an answer to Cecilia's query. "Better'n what we get back home," she says. "Not that Texas is a big place for pizza."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie snags a slice of Hawaiian, then turns it around and eats the crust first, eating the rest of the slice with it carefully balanced on three fingers.

"Pizza superpowers, huh? I could see that. Telekinetic control, maybe, like some kind of... Meatneto." She snickers. "Survivor of the Cheddarcaust?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tara's revelation gets some laughs out of Tabby. "I wasn't going to say anything." She tells Tara as she nibbled on her own slice. "But it looks like something you eat on a dare." And then to Sarah. "Looks more like the Dalai Lama to me." All smiles, she balances her plate on the arm of the chair so she could get up and get a glass of water.

"No loving joke, I knew a guy back in Chicago who could control cheese!" She excitedly declares amongst some giggles, coming back with her drink. "The whole thing went right to his head, I don't know what he was thinking. He tried robbing a couple Dairy Queens but didn't know, like, half the stuff in there isn't even made with real milk. He ended up with a fine for spraying milkshakes all over the place but that was about it. I think he's at a dairy taking lactose out of everything so lactose-intolerant people can have it. Nice guy."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Thaff kind've ow it iff, fough," Rickie says around a mouthful of crust, "*gulp* You find out you've got some weird, totally niche ability that could be, like, vaguely marketable if you put your mind to it, and the first thing you do is put on tights and a mask? Why is this such a common thought process?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"T.V."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Finishing up her slice of the little violation unto the laws of god and the culinary arts, Tara picks up a slice of the more mundane pepperoni. "I think I heard about that guy. They called him Lacto or Fromage-neto or something on the news." She takes a bite of the pepperoni with a satisfied sound. "This is a lot better. Does anyone mind if I have some of the garlic bread? My mom and dad never let me eat any of this junk when I was training."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Yeah, that's him." Tabby smiles. "Would've been a couple years ago now, but. And the news blew the whole thing right out of proportion."

"Go for it." She nods at the still wrapped up garlic bread. "God, I know how that feels. Being on the cheerleading squad and gaining even a pound is a death sentence. Every catty bitch for a mile jumps on you."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Oh. Oh god. That one pizza is piled so high, the grease is soaking through the box lid. The thing's probably a health hazard and a fire hazard all by itself. Anna stares in awe as quiet Tara takes the plunge and a defiant bite out of the decadent pie.

Crystal reaches out for a slice of the terrible --in multiple senses of the word-- pizza and it occurs to Anna that eating it could quickly turn into a rite of passage. The strands of fate, or maybe evaporating fat, waft above the table with import.

"At least they didn't call him Galactose." Anna leans forward, then stops and rounds on Tabby, snapping her fingers and grinning. "I thought you were on cheer squad!"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Yeah, I always get that joke wrong." Another bite, another pause while she savored the taste. No surprise that Tabby had been on the cheer squad. No surprise at all.

And as long as the puns were flying...
"So what, this guy had lactokinesis?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Quite for a bit now, Crystal breaks her silence with an ewww and a look at Sarah. "That sounds so wrong and dirty."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Having finished the Hawaiian portion, Rickie carefully lifts a slice of the Monstrosity. She studies it with one eyebrow raised, then carefully takes a bite.

"...This pizza should be attacking Tokyo."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah grins at the sound of disgust, and reaches for another slice.

"Hey, not my fault you have a dirty mind."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara moves on to the garlic bread, knowing she should probably stop, but a little indulgence won't hurt, especially if she lets the spiders take care of it. She feels a familiar displacing sensation as her stomach ceases to be. One of the few positives of her new body is its high caloric requirements--all those spiders dying off and being re-formed need to come from somewhere. "Picture that, Ms Caida, but the weigh-ins are done at your house, by your parents every morning. Should have picked piano--" She takes another bite. "At least you get to sit down. Less travel, less stress, less..." she sighs and puts down the garlic bread. "I should probably finish unpacking."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Yikes. It's bad enough with all the expectations you put on yourself without the folks joining in. Talk about pressure, huh?" Tabby winces slightly, looking sympathetic. "Well, it sounds like you'll have much more freedom to do what you want here. And you can get house points out of extra-curriculars as well, so bonus."

With the puns, jokes, and growing camaraderie among the Blues, Tabby smiles to herself. She might have been about to say something, but Tara excusing herself interrupts it. "Tara? If you could stay?" She asks the spiders girl before she fled upstairs, then looking to all the girls. "Now we're going to be spending a lot of time together, naturally. We're all in here together. We'll get to know and love and hate each other like sisters." Hopefully hair pulling would be kept to a minimum. "Ms. Frost has files on all of you and I've gone through them, but frankly it's a bit bullshit just going off what she thinks about all of you when we're actually all here now. So, it would be nice if we could talk about why we're here and what we hope to gain from this experience."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Pizza beckons. Beckons, and maybe leers. Anna shovels a slice of the topping-heavy pie onto a plate, with bits falling and bouncing off here and there, and to reward herself she snatches up a piece of the garlic bread while Tara's stealing away toward the stairs. She looks up to call the other girl back, but Tabby's already done it. Done that, and sprung the worst part of meeting a new class: telling each other about yourself. One might think that a drama kid would be all over that sort of thing, but for Anna it's an annoying formality: nobody ever remembers that kind of stuff. Most probably don't even remember the names. Very few, on the other hand, are in a tiny class where everyone's had some kind of screw up with their super powers. So.

Play it cool? All shrugs and welps and no fucks to give? Anna could. Any kid could, it's like a gift that comes with puberty to balance out the amazing capacity for histrionics like the ones that... yeah.

"I wrecked the school play," Anna begins, grabbing some napkins. Crystal had a good idea, mopping up like that, so she follows suit. "And the auditorium. And some people got banged up running for the exits." She reaches for the pizza, but looks back up with a frown.

"What I hope to gain? School, I guess. The district probably wouldn't ever let me back. Figuring out how what I do works? I've got mad and ripped up my room before, same as anybody else, but if I knew I could do what I did... maybe I wouldn't have."

Anna looks back down as she eases her fingers under the poorly-defined edges of her pizza slice. Oh god, the crust is damp straight through! "I have to say 'maybe', because there's a reason why they call what we do 'drama'." Cracking a thin smile, she takes a bite of pizza.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"And why did you wreck the school play?" Tabby tries to tease out of Anna.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Anna tries to smile wryly as she chews and chews. Finally, she speaks.

"I was pissed off." As admissions go, it's to the point. "We were doing the Scottish Play, and there were little accidents sometimes. I figured out I was causing some of them, and I tried to stop. But it was opening night, and the girl who got to play Lady Macbeth was an even bigger stuck-up bitchzilla than usual. So when she swanned back onto the stage at the end after eating the scenery and crapping it on everybody backstage, I couldn't handle it."

Anna looks down, noticing for the first time that her free hand is clenched tight.

"All of us had busted our asses to make that show work, and she rode us with spurs and got all the applause. I wasn't really thinking, I just angry. Ms. Frost thinks I wanted respect, but I wasn't thinking that way. Maybe she's right."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tabby nods as Anna explains herself. "She took all the credit and all the applause and left you out in the cold." She surmises. "I'm pretty sure everybody's been mad about something like that happening to them." She gives a quick look around to the other girls. "I know I have. But getting mad when you don't really know about your powers yet, let alone how to control them properly, is probably the biggest way stuff like this happens. Especially with you guys, young mutants who just find out they have powers." She explains more generally.

"But this is why we have power classes, to help you understand your powers and get them under control." She tells the Blues. "Not only will that help stop powers going off accidentally, but it'll also prepare you in case you actually do need to use them." She smiles. "Not teaching you girls how to defend yourselves against a rogue Sentinel or two would just be stupid now, wouldn't it?"

Tabby looks back to Anna specifically. "You didn't necessarily want what happened to happen, but you did want to something to happen to her. Right? Because she left you with nothing from all the hard work, didn't care about it either, and she deserved it?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Pushing the last crust of pizza aside, Sarah lazily raises her hand.
"Couple of things. First, I've gotta ask - how exactly are you going to do power classes? It's not like people here have got similar powers. Or is it just going to be breathing exercises and counting to 10 when we get pissed off, and not doing... whatever it is we do?

Oh, and second, I'm here because apparently only rich, white men are allowed to mess with the stock market. I'm hoping to 'gain' not going to prison."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"All I could do with a Sentinel is paint it, like, mango colored." Rickie blinks at Sarah. "Wait. You can talk to machines, right? Oh, wow." Wiping off her hands, she moves one of the pizza boxes and waves at the table. A multicolored cloud coalesces out of her sleeves, forming into Sarah, hovering in midair. Rickie closes her eyes, and green code forms around mini-Sarah as a backdrop. Orange stock tickers ribbon through the space, swarming with red down arrows. The artist opens her eyes and grins. "Perfect. I don't have much opportunity to do cyberpunk."

She rubs her chin and gestures again. Another cloud forms itself into Anna hovering above a stage, surrounded by falling lights, prop swords, and a flat cardboard tree. "I can do this with all of us, although some of you might be harder."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

A faint snort and a little smile comes across Crystal. "Promise I didn't copy yah," she tells the winged girl. "Kinda wrecked up my daddy's press conference," she says with a snort, sitting back, crossing her arms, actively feeding her mad. "Been spendin' years talkin' 'bout how mutant's are a menace and a threat to 'normal' people, lockin' 'em up in prisons. Not like he believes a word of it, just tryin' to get bigots and cowards to vote for 'im." Crystal smacks her hands on her knees.

Rickie's demonstration suddenly gets a spotlight on it, as Crystal holds up a glowing hand. "Color and light," she says. "Both seem kinda silly."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

"I wanted to trip her up, or something," Anna admits, ducking and swerving her head as she breaks eye contact with Tabby. "Maybe make her slip and bust her ankle, so we'd go on with an understudy who wasn't treating the whole production like her personal toilet. I didn't want to wreck the show, but I was so... pissed off, I couldn't control it when it started coming out."

Anna gives Sarah a blank look, shifting focus to the illusion Rickie's thrown up about about her. Marquees: now that's speaking her language! Penny Stocks from Heaven! A Sale of Two Cities! Risky Business! She catches Rickie gesturing toward her and carefully turns to look at the field of falling stage dressings that hang like a diorama around her. "That's the short of it. Maybe a facepalming drama mask."

"Ugh," Anna says, though whether for the bite of pizza she's just had or Crystal explaining her Dad's brand of politics is an even guess. "Stained glass window," she suggests to Rickie. "Saint pocketing the collection dish."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Hmm." A stained glass window did indeed spring up behind Crystal, emblazoned with a suit-clad man with literally two faces, one speaking fire while the other tries to maintain a beatific expression. Nodding, Rickie tries several times to create a nimbus of light around Crystal, but her best effort simply makes the girl look like she was covered in custard.

Rickie sighs as she pulls the nimbus back and lumps it into a ball. "I can't do light. If it's not intending to actually shine on anything, I can do sunbeams until the cows come home, but the best I can do is using my pigment like a stage lighting gel."

With a sudden look of revelation, the artist pulls both hands toward herself, and the stained glass window partially shatters, leaving shards floating in the air around crystal. The man is still intact, but the borders of the window are now jagged and would be menacing if they weren't made of fog.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

At the mention of sharing, Cecilia pulls herself inward, content to just watch the others share. The light and color show is drat impressive, she admits, but why would something like that send somebody to jail?

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Ok, now that - and that, and that," Sarah notes, pointing to a different display each time, "is really cool. I don't know what cyberpunk is, but it looks great!"

She gently prods the image of herself, pulling her hand back when it sinks into the 'fog'.

"Yeah, no offense Crystal, but your Dad sounds like a dick." A grin breaks out on her face. "I bet you gave him one hell of a shock."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Holograms and robots." Tabby notes to Sarah. "Professor Gloom has all that stuff set up." She further, tersely explains. "And we won't be sparring between houses until way later. You don't have similar powers, and who you are put with may be unfair, but Ms. Frost thinks it's an important lesson to teach you girls." By the use of the Headmistresses name, Tabby perhaps betrays she doesn't totally agree.

"Right now all you could think you could do is paint a Sentinel, Rickie." Their House Mother corrects. "But who knows what you'll find out you can do given a bit of time and self-realisation!" She takes a bite of her remaining slice, grinning at Rickie's little cloud doodles. "Or you could go be the next Banksy. Both good."

Anna might duck and weave, but Tabby keeps her eyes nice and level. "Now, going all Tonya Harding because the lead is upstaging is overreacting to say the least. You shouldn't have done that Anna, obviously, And you were lucky that it was only the hall that got really damaged. But things just got out of hand." She leaves Anna to escape her look finally and turns it to the group more generally. "And this is exactly why we, as Mutants, need to be aware of our powers. Now powers are good. We have powers and that's natural. And we should use our powers. You girls should never be scared or ashamed that you're Mutants." She tells them, sounding quite adamant about it. "But the fact of the matter is a Mutant can get mad and break a school hall all on her own. And people can get scared about that, rightly or wrongly, every time something like that hits the news. Now nobody else is going to do us any favours, so it's up to us to realise what we can do and to keep our lids on."

"…which is something you would have benefitted from as well, Crystal." Tabby says, turning her gaze over to her as she gives out a bit of her story. "Just in case we don't know, your dad is who, Crystal?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Pretty much is," Crystal says to Sarah, ruefully. "Nice," she says, leaning forward, elbows on knee,s to look at Rickie's work. Her eyebrows jolt to make an escape from the top of her head, her eyes wide.

"He deserved it!" she blurts out at Tabby. "He's....uh...." her burst of upset gone, Crystal slides back into the couch, shrinking away from the others. "Attorney General, of Texas," she says. And if anybody here doesn't know his actual name, she'll be surprised, bold anti-mutant crusader that he is.

• Locked thread