Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Look, I'm probably a tiny bit biased ..." She reaches up to touch what is definitely going to be a black eye soon. "... but you didn't gently caress up. Sherri did. And I want to pound the smug right off of her irresponsible face just as much as you, which is new for me."

A moment of quiet realisation dawns.

"... this is probably how Frost feels about all of us, isn't it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Jessica gives Sarah a cold, hard, dead stare as she and her fellow Blues leave. But the joke is on her, because the psychotic Purple is none the wiser when Sarah turns on the hidden microphones (because of course there are hidden microphones this was Gloom we are talking about) and has a listen in.

"Jesus." Jacqueline sighs, rustling paper being heard as the backs of sticking plasters are removed. "What a loving day."
"loving Gloom." It was Tess, dull thud of boot-on-sheet-metal indicating she was kicking something. "Why is she even here again? She's just a loving nut-job. We should just grab that power stopper BT has and jam it up her twat. If anyone deserves it, it's her."
"You're not touching that thing." No way Sarah could mistake Jessica. "Powers in the real world are stupid, dangerous, and make no sense. That is what Gloom is showing us." She explains, voice still cold and monotone.
"Oh, stupid and dangerous? Like cracking heads open?" Tess's voice is ever so slightly on edge. "That what you mean?"
"You saw what she did," Jessica immediately fires back, though it's not much of a rise if that was what Tess was trying for. "And she already started one fight before blowing the pot up. She knows she is supposed to keep herself under control. I did what I had to."
"Tell that to Sherri when she wakes up, Jess. I bet she'll totally understand." Jacqueline adds from the peanut gallery.
"Bet Maddy will totally understand too." Tess continues. "Oh, and don't forget BT. She's going to love it!"
"If I spared Sherri and broke Sarah's head to get her to shut up instead?" Jessica asks, the faintest hint of frustration on her voice now. "Where would we be then?"
"Ant-farm."
"Exactly."
"Umm," Another voice joins in, very much hushed but still much louder to Sarah than the others. "I think maybe you should turn your listening wiretap thingy off before somebody else notices?" It was Maria.
"Stop talking to the robots, Maria." Is the last thing Sarah hears before finally walking out of range and getting nothing but static.

~*~

Tabby and Elly had been seen to by the MediShed, and now everybody was back at Blue House after the long and painful day. In light of most of her girls behind injured in some fashion, and the fact she knew that they had been docked points, Tabby decided to try and get the truth out of her students. It wasn't a harsh interrogation, indeed how can anything be harsh over some of Tabby's world famous hot cocoa, but more a House Mother that had been out of touch with her kids for a week desperately trying to catcher herself up and make up for not being there.

"So, okay." Tabby sighs, leaning back against the kitchen counter. "Gloom had her class and had some stupid Harrison Ford thing going on. You all got split up with Purple House." Tabby tries to get clear in her head, sipping at her marshmallow-less cocoa. "Then Sarah got mad at Sherri and you two had a fight." She looks at Sarah, not casting any sort of judgement with her look. That wasn't her style. "After that Sherri was so mad she tried to blow everybody up under the dome." She casts a quick glance to her remote, which giveth and taketh away House Points. "And we lost 50 points." She looks back to her girls. "That about it?" Another sip of cocoa.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

On her return to the dorm, trailing a couple of steps behind her house mother, Elly is a little quieter still than usual. She first seeks out Regina to apologise, with the wannest of smiles, for having bumped into her earlier. Then, while Tabby recaps the main events during Powers class, she hovers listlessly. Standing, not sitting down. It puts a little less strain on her freshly patched-up(-ish) back. Elly herself has no comment to offer on what happened. She just stares at the floor. Very occasionally sneaking a glance at her house mother, or at her housemates when one of them speaks up.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Anna leans on the edge of the kitchen island, arms folded, nodding slightly as Tabby reviews Powers class.

"We got split up, ran through some stuff, and got dumped down rabbit holes where we met up. In the dark. Then there was this huge vat of tea, and all of these cups, and I think we were supposed to fill the ones that, you know, wouldn't explode on contact with water. Only everybody got frustrated because we couldn't remember our chemistry, Sherri went all YOLO and dumped everything in, and everybody panicked when it erupted."

Anna tilts her head down, staring at the countertop. "...And I guess I should say what happened just before we fell. I had a thing. I don't want... eh, I had a flash. Falling, screaming, flashing red lights... and then I had to dive after Jessica because I flipped out and started flapping like an idiot."

Something distracts the goth from her growing air of embarrassment. That, or it's growing so strong she's compelled to investigate the inside of her jacket as a hiding place.

"Oh. Right."

Anna reaches gingerly into a pocket and pulls out something shiny, chrome, and vaguely dome shaped. "I forgot I brought her with me," she explains to the counter as she gently puts a robot turtle down on it. "I should probably give Shelly back to Professor Gloom, shouldn't I?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"I guess that's more or less it." Sarah shrugs. "I guess I pushed Sherri a bit too hard - might have tweaked a nerve or two. Dunno. But she went grade-A purestrain crazy on the lot of us. She rushed the final test or game or whatever and managed to set half of us on fire. But that whole house are just ..."

It's tempting to just blab about what she heard and the final smackdown enforced by Jessica but something stops her. A faint memory of the fact that Tabby is, after all, an authority figure.

"... intense." She finally finds a neutral word. "Like, crazy intense, even for in here."

That just left the glaring elephant-sized admission in the room.

"... and I did kinda sorta slightly wreck a chunk of the GloomDome. That's what we- that's what I lost us the points on. It was a whole -" She rolls a hand dismissively. "- heat of the moment thing. Still freaked Gloom out, though."

Her tone softens slightly. "I think it really upset her. No idea what her history is but she obviously needs her comfort zone. Forget points, she sounded about ready to fry me." As a sign of good faith, Sarah leaves out exactly how close Gloom got.

There's a moment of silence broken only by the slurping of cocoa.

"I'll go with you if you want." Sarah points at Anna and Shelly. "If Gloom still remembers that she's pissed at me it might be a good idea for me to get on her good side again. Saying sorry might be a start - plus I get the feeling there's a lot of cool stuff down there, besides the killer robots and probable Harrison Ford Shrine."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"Maria is anything but intense," Elly feels compelled to point out. "She was perfectly nice to me, in fact. And she'd seemed that way even before I saw what some of her housemates were like." She looks at Sarah and Rickie for a moment. "For what it's worth, I don't hold your attempts to shield everyone from the explosion against either of you. Regardless of the consequences," she says, shifting a little uncomfortably in place. "Especially not when the safeguards and precautionary measures against said explosion going off apparently only consisted of hoping that in a school filled with teenage delinquents, none of them is going to pitch a fit or else do something stupid."

Elly blinks and gives Sarah another look. "Though if Sherri only went off in the first place because you had provoked her, I suppose I am going to hold that against you. A little. Not that it excuses her physically assaulting you. Or anything else she did."

She then considers Anna and her robot chelonian for a moment. "Shelly? Is that an intentional pun? Because Professor Gloom does seem the sort to have some Frankenstein-esque tendencies."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

As soon as Anna pulls the robo-tortoise out, Rickie focuses on it. "Or. Or. We could have another house pet. If we get a sentinel costume for Lenore we could teach her to ride it and wind up youtube superstars."

Rickie gives Elly a small smile. "Yeah, Maria's nice. She's in the art club, and I think not being around the rest of the house is just something she really needs sometimes. And yeah, I'm really sorry about burning you like that. I mean, you jumped in front of me!" She pauses. "That sounds bad, but it's like, I wasn't expecting you to try and protect me. If I was thinking anything, it was about protecting everyone else myself, so next time, we need to either get our targets worked out ahead of time or we'll be tripping over each other trying to take bullets." Her clothing momentarily gains a crisp black suit look while an earpiece snakes out of her collar.

"Oh! That reminds me, Tabby, I had a tiny breakthrough with my," she twirls a hand, searching for a word, "telekinesis, I wanted to find a special term, but gently caress it. There was a lot of shrapnel flying around, and I basically just got my pigment in the way of it and felt it as each piece punched through. I think I managed to... steer? slow? the shrapnel like that, because I wasn't seeing a lot of cuts or horrible mangling. Just... burns." She deflates slightly.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

Elly shrugs slightly. "You'd helped save my life, Rickie. If I could have shielded all of you somehow, I would've done that too." She smiles a little. "If anyone is going to get hurt, it might as well be me. Which is not to say we would not benefit from learning to co-ordinate better amongst ourselves, I suppose. Even if we are no superhero outfit."

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 29, 2015

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tabby listens as a few things are clarified. Nodding and sipping cocoa. Dark corridors the girls got chased down. Trap-doors that they all fell down. A science experiment in the middle of class. Sarah being her charming self enough to get Sherri mad enough to blow up half the class. Then tearing up half of the dome and getting Gloom offside. The Blue House Mother has a pretty good idea about what happened now.

"I know that with me as your teacher and you guys being friends and the hot cocoa and the cat and robot turtle and everything, it's easy to forget we're technically in jail. But not everybody came here because they got arrested maliciously painting houses." Tabby says this with a glance at Rickie. "Some girls committed serious crimes before they got here. And I include myself in that. And some girls have personal problems and rehabilitation they need to work through while they're here. If you can't help but aggravate the 'intense' ones then maybe you should just avoid them for the time being." Tabby suggests almost entirely at Sarah. "I'm not blaming you or Sherri. But if things escalated like this while you were nominally under supervision, then I don't even want to think what might happen when you're alone."

On the subject of Gloom, Tabby nods. "If you can manage it, don't touch her stuff." She has to agree. "Val has to build all her crazy robot stuff by hand. Her powers don't relate at all to what she's good at. The fact you can just come along and control pretty much anything she builds with a thought doesn't sit well with her." She more or less confirms what Sarah had presumed. "Even before being possessive, she needs them sort of… weird emotional crutches. You think she's crazy now, imagine if she were locked up without being able to build all those robot rats or whatever. Emma got her here as a charity case as much as anything."

Tabby smirks a little when Elly and Rickie try to figure out who should take the bullet for whom. "Fighting over who gets to jump in front of danger is good, very selfless and showing you care about each other. But please leave it to the people who are more or less invulnerable if you can." She implores her charges. "You don't want to spend a week in the medi shed. It might be able to work minor miracles but that doesn't mean it's fun to get stuck in bed everyday."

Sipping her cocoa, Tabby hears Anna explain her run in with her own powers. "A flash?" She asks. "A flash of what? Did you see the future? Or something dangerous? Have you ever had a flash of this before?" The Blue House Mother prods. "A new part of your powers developing is great, Anna!" She smiles. "Part of why Val does her classes her way is to push your powers into developing like this. I guess it actually worked? If it is new for you Anna, you might be worth trying to figure it out." She suggests.

"There're no rules for this power stuff Rickie, telekinesis works." Tabby shrugs. "That's just you getting greater control over your power, it's great. Sounds like your paint worked a bit like how I can work friction, throw up a blanket and slow whatever goes through it. Just, if you go practising it? Don't do it with shrapnel."

"I think you can probably keep the turtle. Val has so many robot animals around the place she probably won't miss that one."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

The artist snorts a laugh into her cocoa. "Definitely, practice will be on paper airplanes and spitwads."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

"I'd like to keep her," Anna admits in a half mumble, resting fingertips on the edge of the robotortoise's shell. "I dunno if Lenore will sit still long enough to record anything, but..." Elly's question, waiting politely in queue, finally registers. Anna lifts a hand to her forehead and sighs.

"Just a pun, but I totally should've thought of Mary Shelley," she admits to Elly, with a half smile. She glances around at the others and asks, "Don't tell anybody? They'll take away my goth card if I keep messing up like that." It's an awkward joke, that gives way to an awkward quiet.

Anna folds her hands into fists, and leans on them heavily, gazing into the distorted reflection of the ceiling in Shelly's surface. "I think we should say something to Gloom too, though. I try to make niii--okay with the other Houses, because if this place blows up, that's bad for everybody, and not just us. But except for you--" the goth tilts her head toward Tabby "--and some of what Ms. Sanders has talked about, and a little talking with... Spider-Bot, I never really thought about the teachers. And I try not to think about the Headmistress. That's probably like texting her."

Clink. Shelly's begun to move some around the countertop, and has just bumped beak with Anna's forgotten cup of cocoa. She pats the little robot and lifts the mug for a long sip. It's drat fine cocoa, and a tasty waste of time, but there's no outwaiting Tabby's question about her powers.

"Danger? The future? ...yes?" Anna asks, shaking her head, narrowly missing the terrapin 'bot as she puts her mug down. "It felt like we were falling, and there was yelling, and a flashing red light. And then it was me yelling, and Jessica was staring like I was crazy. Then the floor opened up, she fell in, and just before I dove after her... I saw a little red light flashing on Shelly's head. She'd showed us the way through, but we weren't expecting something... subtle, you know?" She picks up her mug and sips again. That was a mouthful. "That was the first time, I think. Most of the time it's like... new metaphor... being in a dark room with a flickery flashlight, different futures in different directions. Only this time, somebody else turned one of those really big spotlights on in front of my face." Something about her tone, and the expression she turns to her mug, suggests she's unsure about facing that spotlight again soon.

"Maybe, but I dunno how. I'm gonna be a basket case, or have to move into the Shed, if it means traps everywhere. Dunno if Gloom has a deck of those cards with symbols on them." Make that a strong maybe. She's actually smiling a bit... and a bit more, a tiny bit encouragingly, as she tilts her head and looks over to Elly.

"Elly? Don't talk about yourself like that, 'kay? If anybody's gonna get hurt, it's gonna suck, no matter who it is. And what Tabby said."

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Regina

Regina's toenail should make a sound when it transforms from the simple tip of a human toe to the terrible claw of a deinonychus. It should make a click, or a shnick, or something, but it doesn't. At most, there's the whisper of mutating toe and claw where it grazes against boot leather. Draped across a chair, she stares at her feet, sickle-claws popping in and out of existence, rhythmically, as if she's playing with a switchblade.

Reggie accepted Elly's apology almost carelessly. In truth, she doesn't see where the other Blue did her wrong.

On the other hand...

"Sarah, I think I might owe you an apology," she says, "A pack-mate and a member of a rival pack getting into a fight... flips some switches in my head. And I haven't always dealt with them properly. "

"I told myself it was a better idea to gather the others lost in the dark, but I think... I just didn't want to deal with it. "

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"In an ideal world nobody would be getting hurt," Elly replies, unperturbed. "Or somebody who is physically invulnerable would always be around to take one for the team. Yes. But this is not an ideal world. And sometimes situations arise that require you to do what you feel is right. Even if it comes at a cost to yourself." She blinks and looks around the room. "I don't want to end up in the medi-shed any more than you do, of course. But I can't stand by when people are in danger. There was nobody to stand by me when I needed it most these past months. It just…leaves you a different kind of person."

She then turns to Anna. "Your powers involve manipulating probabilities, yes? Perhaps you did not see the future so much as change it according to your vision? As difficult as it would be to ascertain the difference between the two. Though I suppose they essentially amount to the same if you subscribe to the idea of predeterminism."

"Sherri was highly aggravated," Elly nods at Regina. "I was expecting her to take a swing at me as well when I intervened. Luckily all she did was push me around a little." She smiles at her saurian housemate. "Working on making those switches a little harder to flip is a good idea, of course. But today it was only prudent of you to stay away, I think. Safer for everyone involved. Knowing your current limits is important. Especially when you can turn into a fierce, carnivorous dinosaur."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"I don't know exactly how…" Tabby searches for the right word. "…responsive Val would be if you tried to talk to her. I don't even know if the Reds get to talk to her much, I know we have to forward staff meeting notes to Spider-Bot. But at worst she's just not going to react too much, so it couldn't hurt?" Though their House Mother doesn't sound 100% on the idea.

Tabby nods and listens to Anna slowly explain what happened, and her trepidations with it. "Well you didn't break anything or hurt anyone, no matter what it was there was no harm done. And even if you didn't manage to catch Jessica, she would have been okay. She's pretty tough." It may be the first thing any of they learned about Jessica's powers. "But powers develop over time, that's not unusual. Exactly how your power changed there will be the question you need to find out. If you're actually seeing flashes of the future. Or seeing the future you've changed the present into. Or… something else, I'm really not great with power stuff." Tabby admits, and it isn't the first time she has made light of her lack of formal academic instruction. "But when Cecilia's powers developed beyond what she originally thought they could do, but Ms. Frost made sure she had the best tutors available to help her learn about them. You'll get all the support you'll need for this, Anna. You'll be okay."

As Elly explains herself Tabby can't help but shake her head. "You sound like Captain America, Elly." She smirks from behind her mug of cocoa. "And that's a good thing, don't get me wrong. But over at the X-Men school? They train their new X-Men for years before they let them go out and throw themselves in front of bullets and lasers and Magnetos and all that crazy stuff. You haven't been here quite that long yet. And you're still recovering." She points out with relentless logic. "I don't want you to put yourself in danger like that, okay?"

With a long sip, Tabby drinks the last of her cocoa and puts her mug in the sink for a Roborat to wash at a later date. "Powers class was a shitshow. Gloom was insane. Purple girls were 'intense'. Then we lost half a TV of points." The Blue House Mother surmises, looking at her kids. "Well. At least nobody got in a car crash." The gallows humour doesn't quite get Tabby smiling herself. "Don't dwell on it, girls. Seriously. It's just points and there wasn't a whole lot else you could have done. Bust your butts on next weeks maths test and we might earn it all back."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Pwofuffy if alwayf a twecky fubzhect," Rickie says around a mouthfull of marshmallow. She'd insisted on three large marshmallows in her mug, and mostly drank around them until now. "*gulp* If you're seeing things you can change, do you have a moral obligation to change them? In some cases, obviously, yes, but if your prophecy twigs to something small or mysterious, it gets harder to decide."

She slurps up another mostly-melted mallow to masticate, getting a faraway look like she's pondering something. She does at least swallow before voicing her question. "Is there another points milestone we should be aiming for? I'm not about to intentionally tank our score if there isn't, but..." She waves her mug in circles, looking for words, "I'd feel better if it was for more than just the high score table." Space invaders scroll across her hat.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Just don't go back in time to try and kill Hitler." Tabby warns.

"It's not a high score table. More points just means you're doing the right thing and making positive progress towards I guess it's sort of like a high score table, yeah." Tabby concedes Rickie's point after thinking about it for a few moments. "Okay, for the next goal there's having a say in a guest lecture in a few hundred more points. Maybe not as exciting as going into New York but Ms. Frost has a lot of connections so she could more or less get anybody to come. So if you're dying to see…… She-Hulk talk about lawyer stuff or something? You've got that." Tabby shrugs. "After that it's getting to have a day visit with family, either in a supervised trip home or here at the academy. But I know not everyone has families that they'd want to see again, I know I don't, so it's not really a crowd pleaser." She shrugs again, these milestones not quite as attractive as a day out in New York.

"And if it gets higher than those then you could get early parol."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

Elly glances toward Tabby, but doesn't quite meet her eyes. "Should I just stand there and do nothing when my housemates are in trouble, then?" she murmurs. "I was in danger whether I acted or not. Everyone in the vicinity of that explosion was in danger."

"Was the trip to New York City a non-recurring reward? We can't earn it a second time at some point down the road?" Elly doesn't seem intrigued by the other rewards. Probably because outside of the school, there is nobody for her to meet. Nowhere to go. Even the idea of early parole loses much of its desirability under such circumstances.

"On an unrelated note, I thought you all should know that I'll be taking extra lessons with Miss Sanders, starting next week," the Blue then announces to the rest of her house. "Just so you needn't wonder what I get up to in the evenings," she adds with a small, brief smile. "I don't know if it will allow me to prevent something like the NYC incident from happening again. But I have to try. I have to make the effort. Next time I need to be as ready as I can possibly be." She blinks. "I would appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone outside of our house about this."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"You're more than just being a human shield, Elly." Tabby sighs. "Crystal." She looks to the Blue. "Any time Elly is about to throw herself in front of a bullet, stop her and do it instead. Not a whole lot at this school can actually hurt you." She tells Crystal.

"It's non-recurring now, yes." Tabby explains. "After everything that happened Ms. Frost isn't going to sign off on another trip out any time soon. If circumstances change then it might be back on the table, but otherwise don't expect any trips out like that again."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Nah, you don't owe me poo poo Reggie." Sarah finishes her cup and slides it to the side. "That fight was either my fault or Sherri's." A certain tension in her face indicates which one Sarah thinks is the case. "I don't blame any of you for not wanting to get involved. I shouldn't have let it spill over to the rest of you guys - let us all finish without 3rd degree chai burns."

She stifles a yawn as the others keep talking.

"Look, I really am sorry guys. I probably shouldn't have pushed Sherri like that. Not when it affects you." She tries for a laugh. "I guess for all Gloom was trying to push us to be 'heroic' and think on the fly and all that jazz I just ran my mouth. And as chill as SpiderMan was that's not the kind of chatterbox hero I want to be."

"... you know, if I wanted to be a hero. Which I don't."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie cracks her own yawn and gives Sarah a playful elbow in the ribs (Which may or may not be scalded and tender, she doesn't consider that until later, though). "As if your burning desire to right injustice isn't exactly what landed you here in the first place."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Anna nods to Tabby, dipping her eyes to her mug as the Housemistress tries to explain that there probably won't be any magical, after-school special, moment of clarity for Professor Gloom if they go to talk with her. Which is fair, even if it sucks, because it must be lonely to live in a world like that.

"Eh. We could always get her a basket of clockwork oranges or something instead," she mumbles, dragging a fingertip around the choco-scummed edge of her mug. It's hard to tell that her eyes are glazing over as talk briefly goes over power mechanics and philosophy, but it's evident that mention of Cecilia or the X-Men brushes a nerve from the way her feathers bristle up in a ripple.

Slurp. No more field trips. It stings, but... even before they helped rescue Elly --Goddess, I hope she doesn't beat herself up over this, too-- people outside were... weird about them. It might be a birdcage, but those keep the cats out as much as the birds in.

Lenore appears and strops against Anna's calves, then begins a circuit of the room to strengthen her scent marks on the other young women.

Okay, most of the cats.

"She-Hulk seems cool. I've seen her on TV a few times." She isn't a mutant though, is she? Technically? It probably shouldn't matter, but it feels like it kinda does.

"I don't either," Anna echoes Sarah. "...some of the X-Kids are nice, but I don't want to have to go live with them like Ceece did. After she started getting tutoring."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Now, now Rickie. We're not judging here. If Sarah doesn't want to be a big goddamn hero and save the world from the evils of capitalism, that's her choice." Tabby smirks, now collecting up the mugs to drop them in the sink. "If you want to catch Gloom at her least Gloom-y, then try to get her when she's in the Red dorm. Not nearly as evil scientist there I don't think." Tabby advises Anna, taking her empty mug.

"If she's anything like Big Hulk she better keep her hands to herself." Tabby comments. "Well, actually, from what I've hears she does get around…" She mutters a little, quickly shaking her head. "Just first thing that came to mind, I don't actually know many super people with real jobs like being a lawyer. If you guys wanted Captain America or whoever I'm sure Ms. Frost could work it out." She smiles. "Ceecee had to go there because her powers were starting to get very strong and it was hard for her to keep them under control. You won't have to change schools, Anna."

"All right. Time for bed, I reckon. Another full day of getting blown up to get to tomorrow!" She chirps in her peppy, cheerleader way.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

It's probably too much to ask that Professor Gloom be cheerful or completely lucid if they come calling, especially with what the Reds said a while back about their House Mother, but it's an excuse to drop by Red House. "Visit her in her lair, got it. Hope she didn't have trap doors put in," Anna nods.

...and nods again, when Tabby reassures her that she won't be transferred. Cecilia had to go because her powers were slipping the lead and getting powerful, that's right. Still. 'Girl who makes things go wrong' might squeeze through the cracks. 'Girl who sees and maybe changes the future' is liable to get her a lot of attention, and not the kind she wants.

"Captain America? I'd probably burst into flames."

Anna imagines a welcoming committee at her next digs:

'Welcome to the Raft, jailbaitbird. What're you in for?'

'I flicked the little Hermes wings on Captain America's cowl.'

The crowd draws back several feet.

Despite the slow boil of worries she's experiencing, Anna giggles.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"I cannot fault Miss Frost for that decision," Elly quietly says. "It's a dangerous world out there." Falling silent, she looks down and watches Lenore wend and weave her way round her ankles. Once the cat has moved on to someone more inclined to give her some attention, the Blue makes her way to the sink to rinse out the empty cocoa mugs, not having partaken of any hot chocolate herself. “Good night, everyone,” she then says with a last glance around the room before turning in, her desire to get some rest and leave the day’s events behind her negating even her usual reluctance to go to sleep indoors.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Lenore purrs. Like many cats, she loves it when they play hard to pet.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Eventually, even including Lenore, Blue House get to bed. It had been a long day.

It was well into Autumn now. The days were shorter and colder, and tests were coming up. For some students, this was no problem whatsoever. They had already studied and knew everything they were meant to. For others it was a waking nightmare, failing to pick up anything in any subject. Except perhaps bruises in powers class.

So perhaps it was a good thing that , for a few days at least, minds were taken off of these perilous exams. For in these next few days, there were a few exciting adventures that were far more important than just sitting in the dorm rooms studying endlessly about society and sciences!!

Okay! CYOA time! This is a few weeks after the next chapter, gone from summer to autumn, and Elly has well and truely gotten into the swing of the school now. This is going to work off of what each player gives me. There are no limits on what your CYOA could be, you just give me a subject or vauge outline or even just one sentence the seems kinda cool or whatever. I'll run with it. This is meant to be a really loose and easy chapter with lots of fun!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
All I want for Christmas
is my two front teeth,
my two front teeth,
see my two front teeth.

Gee, if I could only
have my two front teeth,
then I could wish you
"Merry Christmas!"

Tabby was in the festive spirit big time, wearing both a santa hat and a big santa beard. "Okay girls. Kris Kringle time." She declares, waving for everybody to gather around the freshly lit fireplace. It was snowing but not terribly cold, so it was purely for ambiance. "Now just before we start," Tabby says. "Everything here was picked randomly and there are no swapsies. So don't think there's a conspiracy or anything if you get your arch-nemisis or an evil snow monster or something." She smiles, taking the printed sheet of paper out and clearing her throat before reading it out.

"Anna, you got Jean and she wants charity."

"Elly, you got SpiderBot and she wants a stuffed elephant."

"Rickie, you got Michelle and she wants 'a gift for her secret santa which will be Samantha'."

"Sarah, you got the RoboRats and they want a break room."

"Reggie, you got Maddy and she wants some Christmas cheer."

All ready out, Tabby scrunches up the piece of paper and tosses it into the fire. "And I got Kristin and she wants some gingerbread!" Tabby claps her hands together. "All right! Everybody got that?"

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Regina

Reggie perches on the back of the couch... rather like a bird, to be honest. Said couch has been reinforced and rebalanced against such behavior because Roborats are smart and learn from other's mistakes. That said, Regina perches and stares at Tabby with almost uncomprehending eyes. Christmas cheer? How does someone give Christmas cheer? That kind of sentiment seems like it stepped right out of a Holiday Special where the spirit was in you the whole time. And... Maddy? Maddy wants Christmas cheer? Maddy? Her? That bundle of fur and tendon and tension? Regina wouldn't have figured it.

But then - The bigger question:

"How... how do I give cheer to someone who hates me?"

Her avian eyes dart around the room, glancing to her friends. She's thinking. An idea is already forming. But still:

"I'm not exaggerating all that much. She really doesn't like me. It's like I stole her kill or something."

Beat.

"Which I didn't."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Don't kill anything else or each other and you'll be well on your way to that Christmas cheer!" Tabby suggests with a smile.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Regina

"I'm not actually being literal here," Reggie replies, waving a hand in the air, "It's... kind of like she sees me as competition or something. And then, I get bristly because she gets her hackles up, because that's my problem when I detect a threat, and we're busy either trying to avoid growling and hissing at each other... or just ignoring each other."

She throws her hands up and just hunches forward, looking at her boots, "How do I make someone feel jolly when I offend them by being there?"

Drakli fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 20, 2015

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"Get a stuffed elephant. For Spider–Bot," she repeats and blinks. Primly resting her hands on the back of the couch, the Blue has not gone full Santa as Tabby has. Or even part Santa. Nor is she going to, obviously. "Yes. I understand the what. I can't say as much for the how or why. But these are of secondary importance at most." Elly turns to Rickie. "Your domain of creativity appears to be relevant to this. Do you know of anyone here who is capable of producing stuffed animals?" Another blink. "I suppose Alice can technically make things, but they seem too ephemeral for the purpose in question. And even crocheting a doily lies far beyond my abilities."

"Does Maddy need to know you are responsible for said Christmas cheer, Reggie? You could do it anonymously," Elly suggests to her housemate. "Find little ways of improving her day and only reveal yourself once the holidays are over. Or not at all. It seems unlikely that she'd suspect you."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

As Tabby reads out the names and the required presents, Sarah can't help but think a single, solitary thought. It was something that had been dominating her mind for a while now and Tabby's news resolved it perfectly.

Thank god she didn't have Princess Explodo-Nut.

Setting aside the real possibility that said princess would be responsible for getting her a present, Sarah focuses on the task in hand.

"A break room? For the RoboRats? What, did they unionise all of a sudden?"

Sarah is only half joking. From the first days at the school the RoboRats had seemed to develop lives of their own. They still scurried about cleaning and carrying, but seemed now to possess a certain ... realness about themselves. Like the Blue Fairy had visited during the night.

"Well I could rig up a charging bay for them, throw in some entertainment. That's basically a break room. I'd have to check with Professor Gloom for their battery specs but it shouldn't be hard to..."

Her voice trails off as her thoughts catch up.

"... I'm going to have to make amends with Gloom to do this right, aren't I?" The question is directed at the completely innocent and not at all devious Tabby.

FYI I am now incapable of thinking of the RoboRats as anything other than the scutters from Red Dwarf, personality wise.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Bring enough elk for the both of you to eat? I don't know. You'll figure it out!" Tabby smiles at Reggie, knowing the dinogirl would find a solution. "That's the way Elly!" Tabby continues to smile. "Friendship and working together, you guys will get all these presents together. I know it!" And then to Sarah. "Yes, yes you will. Val still counts the RoboRats as her stuff, wouldn't want to mess with those without permission. Doesn't Kris Kringle work in mysterious ways!?"

"Okay, I need to get to the cafeteria and bake the best drat gingerbread ever." Tabby announces, skating over to the door. "You guys should get onto your gifts too! Don't want to leave everything to the last minute!"

All the RoboRats are now named Stabem

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Better than Cheesoid...

Anna

It began a little while before Hallowe'en-- or sah-wayne as Anna called it, with an increasingly audible roll of her eyes. Candies, spooky cutouts, that day a bunch of the girls wore costumes most of their parents probably wouldn't want to know about... actually, she was fine with all of that, apart from that 'sexy witch' costume. Grave, but okay. Okay, if that includes finding teachable moments about the Old Faith around every corner, and propitiating the beings that can get confused when the veils between worlds thin.

Has anyone owned up to soaping the school windows that night? You'd think Ms. Frost could pick that kind of guilt out a mile away.

Afterwards... well, let's face it. People have been complaining about the commercialization of Christmas since the Peanuts gang aired their grievances, but as all those stories said, between the commercial breaks, the most important source of anxiety during the holidays is family. Racist uncles, Moms getting drunk, bratty little cousins... it's still better than being stuck in stir for the holidays for a lot of the girls, anyway.

Anna's been acting out with a slow-burning rebellion against Christmas. Not that there's a lot to rebel against: the school definitely isn't capital-C Christian, trimmed trees aside, and the presence of a few quietly burning menorahs and rooms set aside for salah provide quiet testimony to respect for the girls' spiritual needs.

And then there's Anna. Anna, counting the days to solstice (thankyouverymuch). Anna, quick to point out the apparently many bits of Christmas traditions appropriated from pagan faiths (blessed be). Anna, growing grumpier by the day, feathers quietly bristling every time someone wishes her a Merry Christmas. Some of the other girls have been making a game of it. Even Lenore has been giving her space outside of bedtime and feedings.

Lenore sits at Tabby's side, nearer the fireplace, quietly grooming her face and ignoring her mistress's hurt look. Anna, at least, has the grace to look aside before rolling her eyes at Tabby's Santa getup. She folds her arms and huffs as she edges closer, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"Maybe throw yourself on your back in front of her, and point at your throat?" Anna suggests, pointing at her own with both hands, ever so helpfully. "Let her think she's boss."

Jean's request... that's just got her flat-footed. Anna furrows her brow, then she thinks some, and after a bit she just shakes her head and scowls. "Charity? What the heck does that mean? I can't give her ten bucks, and there's no United Way here."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

“The dictionary definition of charity also includes ‘kindness and tolerance in judging others’ and, in an archaic sense and typically Christian context, ‘love of humankind’. For what that is worth. Maybe Jean just wants a heart–to–heart? Or a hug?”

Having to procure a stuffed elephant, Elly decides, might not have been the worst gift–finding task to be saddled with after all.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Anna covers her face with a hand.

"If I burst into flames, it probably isn't somebody's powers going off."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Hmm. There are a couple sewing machines in the art room, and there's plenty of fabric and buttons and stuffing, but no one's really shown an interest in those. I want to say it's easy to learn, but I only ever made, like, a pair of boxer shorts in Home Ec, somehow I got a third leg hole in them, and the stitching looked like it was done by a drunk spider."

Rickie paces a little. "Let's see... Michelle wants a gift for Sam... Which fits, honestly, what do you get for the girl who knows what you're getting her? But Sam... what would she like, besides a power nullifier that doesn't cause cancer and horrible brain things? I may just paint something. Like, on canvas." She stretches her hands a couple feet apart, forming her own canvas across which happy-Sam colors play and swirl.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

“I ought to give it a shot at least. Sewing patterns should be easy enough to find on the Internet. If that doesn’t work out, I’m not sure what to do,” Elly says. “I suppose that if anyone at the school owns a stuffed elephant already, I can try to trade for it? But of course there are several issues with that approach, too. I’ll try making one myself first. It will give me something to actually do during Art Club, if nothing else.”

The Blue considers the prospective gift for Samantha. “You could paint a calendar for her, with each month depicting Lenore in the style of a different artist. She would probably like that.”

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"My money's on the heart-to-heart too," Sarah pipes up. "For the charity, I mean. You ask someone what they want for Christmas and they say charity, I figure they've got a lot on their mind. Not really sure you can keep that 'secret' though."

She shifts focus, trying to keep the various presents Tabby had rattled off straight.

"An elephant pattern shouldn't be too hard - maybe do a few practice runs first? It's probably ok if it's a bit quirky. Handmade stuff always is. Not sure you'd have much luck trading for one though - if anyone has one in here it's probably not something they're willing to part with."

"... for Christmas cheer I'd probably just steal some of Tabby's gingerbread. Or make a christmas mix-tape or tinsel-raptor or something. The cheesier the better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Grumpy as she may be, the mere mention of Lenore is enough to arouse a Proud Mama streak in Anna that's as thick as her mascara. She deftly dips her hand from eyes to mouth, trying to cover a smile as she imagines Lenore painted like the Mona Lisa, with that adorable little kitty smile.

"Internet," she agrees, half muffled as she nods. "Or of somebody has one, you could just ask to look at it? Figure out shapes and sizes and how it's put together." Was that too enthusiastic sounding? Probably. Anna jerks her shoulders.

Anna's gaze drifts, avoiding the others', eventually landing in front of the hearth... where Lenore have moved, with Tabby's absence, and begun to undergo that uniquely feline state transition from fur to liquid. Charity. The goth twinges. The cat sprawls.

"I can always just ask her what's up. We haven't really talked in... a few days. Just kinda hint. If it's something like that, it'll probably come out pretty fast." Her smile is tentative, but this time she chooses to reveal it. "I sometimes think that's how she flies so well. Not a lot of secrets to keep her down."

• Locked thread