Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Running out of bright sides to show and ways to deflect Jean's friendly envy, Anna resorts to a wan smile and nodding. She strengthens her smile and waves off the other flyer's flirtation with defensiveness. "I get what you're saying. I don't get it as much, but... still." Anna skips an allusion to growing up and filling out, instead laughing sympathetically at the image of mauve feathers splotted with pink.

Blunt Trauma finally arrives, or appears, popping up at the perfect moment to catch that ball and save Anna from having to decide between running her conversational repertoire even thinner, or abandoning Jean to join the others. Laps around the gym on pain of angry, really big teacher who could probably snap her like a twig wins with no context... though five of them, right after breakfast? She's going to feel this by the end of the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Hah!" Crystal laughs. "Knew you girls had have have some go!" She spies Cecilia, shouting out, with her hands up, "Open!" Her plans get quickly skunked by the arrival of Blunt Trauma.

Crystal skids to a halt and turns to look at their coach. drat, she is big. Where the other girls fidget, Crystal listens attentively. Coaches, they're the one authority figure that's never failed Crystal. Everything's out in the open - you've got the goal, you perform your best, hit it, everything's good. No secrets, no sneaking around.

"Right, Coach!" Crystal says, breaking for the edge of the gym, moving at a brisk pace.

Athletics 8 if we're counting such things

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Coach, yes, Coach!" Tara replies reflexively with an almost military clip before she even realizes it. She jogs over to Cecilia and helps her up. "You better start running too." And just like that, she's off like a shot. She knows she'll probably regret not taking up the offer for stretches earlier, but she's not so out of shape that she can't handle a little running.

Athletics +6!

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Ms. Sanders appears in a flurry of intensity, topped off with a shockwave that throws Cecilia backwards. She stares up at the ceiling, Why can't I have pillow powers?

Rickie leans over, dragging the thin girl back up to her feet. Cecilia rubs at the growing bruise on her tailbone, mumbling, "Yeah, I'm okay." One quick glance at Ms. Sanders tells her all she needs to know. She starts running. She glances over at Rickie, smiling as she starts to get winded, "You'd think almost a year of prison would make me used to running laps."

Athletics 0. Cecilia gonna go slow.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 26, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Uh-oh. Athletics -1. Running is for the other birds.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ms. Sanders stomps into the middle of the court, glaring at each of the girls as they run past. Leading the pack were Crystal, Seren, and Bo. Though Bo gets loudly chastised when she does the first two laps in about 4 seconds, and Ms. Sanders tells her she has to do five more laps. Even without her powers she seemed to be pretty fast, though. Behind them were Tara, Sarah, Jean, and Gabrielle. Most of the girls were in the rear though; Anna, Cecilia, Rickie, Alice, and Samantha. Bo even manages to lap you guys a couple times.

Thankfully time didn't seem to matter. Once you all finish, almost everybody panting and sweating a bit, Ms. Sanders tells you all to line up by house. "Blue and Red, huh?" She paces in front of both houses, the anger and shouting seeming to be gone for the moment. While Ms. Sanders still doesn't seem all that friendly and is a whole heap of intimidating, you're at least pretty sure she's not going to thrash any of you.

"Okay criminals, this is physical education." Blunt Trauma begins with, living up to the 'blunt' part. "You're mutants, which means that everyone outside these walls hates you and wants to kill you." She pauses, her words sinking in and waiting to see if any of you dare to contradict her. "This class is not only going to make sure you are all in prime physical shape, but also see to it that if some Flatscan manages to slap a power inhibitor on you, you'll be able to break his loving neck and get away." She she didn't look like she was at all joking about that. "In addition to exercise and conditioning you will be learning close quarters combat here, and you will each excel in it or I will be very displeased."

Despite the aggressive tone it did seem to come from somewhere of genuine concern. "No one is to use powers in this class. Speedy was the only freebie you convicts get, the next one of you to use any powers loses ten points for your house. Now all of you, twenty pushups."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Making a strong early finish, Crystal takes a light loop around the gathering area to run herself off and cool down. Not that she worked up a sweat. Which leads to the obvious question....

"Miss....Coach?" she says. "Believe me, I would if I could, just no idea how."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Looking like a cubic zirconia isn't using a power." Miss Coach Sanders corrects Crystal. "Flying." She looks at Anna. "Super speed." She looks at Bo. "Are using powers. If you're stronger or tougher because of your skin I'll hit you with harder and heavier material to make up for it." She assures Crystal, not treating her any different from the others.

"Twenty pushups. Now."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Breathing heavily, Sarah fell into line with the rest of the house. Criminals? Convicts? Well it was true, but it still felt like a slap in the face. The honesty was sort of refreshing though - at least Ms. Trauma here wasn't going to dodge around the whole 'this is a prison' thing.

Although the fighting aspect really caught Sarah off guard. At least it was only self defense. Still, she doubted that the wider world would be hearing about this particular aspect of their curriculum.

"Guess I don't have to worry about losing points for power usage," she mutters, settling down into position.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia barely manages to catch her breath before she's back on the ground, this time doing pushups. She pauses for a moment, thinking again, What if I don't know how to not use my powers? She briefly considers writing Ms. Sanders into a whole-lot-nicer person, but shakes the thought away as she resumes the push-ups.

A sudden thought strikes her at the subtext to Ms. Sanders' last statement. As she goes back down for another rep, she whispers to Tara, next to her, "Do you think she's really going to hit us?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

They say that even with hollow bones and prodigious lung capacity, it takes a lot of muscle to carry a body aloft. Anna... doesn't have that, though she is startlingly light. A slow start leads to a slow progression, which leads to a muffled groan as Bo laps her. By the time Anna finishes, her wings and legs feel like dead weight, threatening to stay right where they are instead of sloughing off like good little masses of misery. Her feet... oh god, her feet. The less said about her feet, the better. Lined up with the other Blues, she takes deep, deep gulps of air.

Criminals? Well, yeah, technically. And there would be people outside who would never accept an apology for what Anna did. Not that arguing with Ms. Sanders would help. She seems to be half irresistible force, half immovable object. Everyone outside wants to kill them? That's... right, Trauma's probably one of those ex-Brotherhood people. Anna schools her eyebrows to stay down, but disbelief is hidden behind a faintly green wash of nausea. Trauma's going to teach them to kill people? On purpose?

...because she's right. Half right. Not everyone outside wants to hurt them, but there are a lot out there who do.

Anna stifles a noise as she crouches down and stretches out, keeping her wings straight and aligned down her back. Even before she pushes up the first time, her toetips feel like they're going to tear through the front of her poor trainers.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"I hope not, Cee," She says, getting down in the push-up position. "Because I can do gym without powers, easy. Well, we have to climb the rope, then I can't guarantee the spiders aren't helping. But when something hits me, spiders start flying off me, and that would mean we'd lose points, which would suck. Everyone in the House really wants that TV."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie's palms and the ball of pigment hit the ground at roughly the same time, spattering the artist with blue like someone brutally murdered a Smurf on her shoulder. While the laps didn't give her much trouble, she wasn't at all sure she could do twenty push-ups.

One. Two. Hand-to-hand training. Excellent. Three. Four. Mom had pulled her out of karate when her powers manifested in her first class. Five. Six. She basically knew you bowed to your opponent. Seven. Eight. The reasoning was fuzzy, though. Nine. Ten. Rickie'd met dozens of pro-mutant normals. Eleven. Twelve. Including a senator who'd visited... Thirteen... one of the pro-mutant campaigns she'd tried to... Fourteen... volunteer for...

Fifteen...

Straining, arms quivering, Rickie pushes herself up into full extension for the fiteenth push-up. Her train of thought seriously derailed, she mutters "Fifteen... fifteen..." as she tries not to simply collapse onto the floor coming back down. She goes cross-eyed as she notices a day-glo orange bead of sweat trickling down the bridge of her nose, and idly wonders what color her pits have gone.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Girls from both houses struggle to finish the push up, and Ms. Sanders stands over them until they're finished. Rickie and Cecilia bring up the Blues, with Samantha and Alice doing the same for the Reds. But pretty well everybody was sweaty and panting by the end of it, excepting Crystal.

Almost as soon as Alice had finished her last push up and was lying spread out on the court, Ms. Sanders addresses everybody. "Thirty sit-ups." She tells the girls plainly.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

It's tempting to just drop flat on the floor after the twentieth pushup. It'd be theatric, drat it. Ms. Sanders would probably give her more, or take points from the House, so instead Anna carefully folds herself backward, arms throbbing and bangs matted down with sweat.

And now situps. Stifle that whine! She can probably smell fear. Anna weighs the risks of asking a question, then goes for it. Fate is usually on her side. Except when it isn't.

"Ma'am? Should I pretend my wings have fallen asleep?" Anna asks. She doesn't know what might happen to them if she had a nullifier put on, but neither wants to think about those things or rile Ms. Trauma by making her think about them.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

She may not sweat, but drat, this is work! Crystal's stronger than she used to be but she's also heavier than she used to be, so the two effects balance each other out. By the time they're done Crystal's pushups come noticeably slower than when she started. Crystal sits back and looks at the others as they finish up. She's already halfway up to her feet when they get hit by the next task. Anna's almost-whine draws Crystal's attention. City kid, she'd guess. "Cross your arms," she says, putting each hand on her opposite shoulder. "And focus on your knees. Makes it a little easier."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Either press them flat against your back or spread them out on the floor." Ms. Sanders says in regards to the wing issue, Jean also taking note and spreading her wings out.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

It never ends. With what remains of her willpower and concentration, she begins the next set of arduous exercises.

She was tempted to remain stoic and unaffected - try not to let the gym teacher get to her. Her ragged breath put that plan squarely in the bin, so she settles for glaring at the teacher with all her worth. Lack of eye lasers be damned - she could at least try to will the Amazon dead with the power of her stare.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Hehehe. Style die for Sarah.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie just sort of collapses after the twentieth push-up, just resting with her face against the floor. Apparently she's not the last one to finish, as she's allowed a few seconds of respite. The artist whines softly as she flops over onto her back, trying not to use her arms for the purpose, so the effect is something like a seal trying to get a suntan.

It's a whole different muscle group, she tells herself. Leg and arm fatigue shouldn't enter into it... Crystal's advice filters through the fog, and after a glance in her direction, Rickie apes the girl's position. One. Two. Huh, that's a lovely mauve. Sure enough, the mutant's overactive sweat glands are putting out a light purple stain on the knees of her jeans. Five. Six. I'm going to look like a Jackson Pollock by the time this is done. Nine. Ten... Ma'am, permission to clean this up, ma'am? Ma'am yes Ma'am! The mental image of Blunt Trauma as a drill instructor flits through Rickie's mind, accompanied by the voice of R. Lee Ermey.

She can't help it.

In the middle of her 17th sit-up, a giggle escapes her. She snorts and tries to restrain it, but the phrase "What is this Mickey Mouse poo poo?" drifts through her mind, and within moments she is giggling uncontrollably, interspersed with snorts, gasps, and sit-ups.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Anna briefly smiles thanks to Crystal, but returns her attention to Ms. Trauma. Good advice, but apparently not what she was looking for. She nods and chirps a thank-you to the teacher, then returns to sitting, silently glad for the few seconds of rest between exercises. Owing to their relatively small size, Anna folds her wings as tightly against her back as she can and starts her situps.

It's hard, even from the start. She hasn't done the things, the stupid things in ages, not since before her wings began to grow in. They're awkward like this, and it's increasingly uncomfortable as she hoists herself forward and shifts slightly, making sure she doesn't crease any feathers on the way back down. Because of that, each repetition takes slightly longer than it otherwise should, and when she does finally finish it's noticeably longer after the others.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia grunts, rolling over as her aching arms cry out for relief. It was going to be a long day, and she's only been awake for about fifteen minutes.

As she starts into her sit-ups, she glances over to Ms. Sanders. She whispers to Tara again, "She acts kinda like a guard everybody hated."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Twenty six....twenty seven..." Crystal grunts along, focusing with sheer bloody-mindedness. Gotta beat those red house girls, and the other blues too. Everything's a competition and drat it...."What's so funny?" Crystal asks as she comes up, looking over to the source of the snickering. Then Crystal bursts out laughing herself, seeing her multi-colored body. Crystal collapses back in her own fit of giggles.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

15...16...17...Tara's beginning to regret not keeping up with her exercises during her time recuperating from her freakout. This isn't as easy as it should be, and it disappoints her more than she imagined it would. Oh well, she thinks to herself, she'll have to just start doing her morning regimen again.

"That's just how gym teachers and coaches are, I think. Even when you're not in fancy juvie, you pretty much have to be there, and they know when you don't want to be."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Sarah's glaring doesn't even phase Blunt Trauma let alone kill her, though she is joined in intent by Gabrielle. While the fire girl was fairing better than some she clearly resented the hell out of having to do it anyway.

On the other hand, Rickie's sweaty technicolour dreamcoat and sudden onset of giggling does seem to get the teacher's attention. And laughter being the infectious thing that it was, Rickie wasn't the only one giggling. Crystal was the first, but Seren and Jean catch the chuckles as well despite nobody knowing what exactly was making Rickie laugh in the first place. "Alright girls, that's enough." Ms. Sanders tells both Houses, managing to quell the giggles in short order.

In relative silence, everybody eventually finishes their sit-ups no matter how much they felt they were going to die (or wanted Ms. Sanders too). When the last girl, Alice, does her final sit-up and collapses backwards onto the floor, the teacher begins talking again. "Anyone who stands out from the crowd out there," She points towards a window, indicating the outside world. "Makes themselves a target. Good or bad. But if you're strong enough, you can endure. Get stronger. Get to the point where you don't have to worry about standing out or care what other people think." This… wasn't like what she said before. This was almost like she was… encouraging you? Telling you what you need to get better and make it in the world? And it wasn't being shouted!?

"Everyday we will start off with lap, push ups and sit ups. And that will increase week on week." She continues. "And anyone who cannot keep up will lose five points for their house every day they fail to keep up. Some of you," She turns her gaze across the girls one by one. "May think this is unfair. And it is. And since it is unfair, I will allow you the choice of doing your housemate's exercises for that day. Then it will only cost your house one point." Her expression is stern, but not quite R. Lee Ermey to Rickie's disappointment.

"Jean, Anna, clean up the court." She tells the two winged ladies, as a smattering of brown, white, and black feathers having come loose during the course of the class. "And take a shower, Patricia." She adds to the stained artist before leaving the court, leaving the girls on their own. Alice, Samantha, and Gabrielle looked quite the worse for wear, while Bo, Jean, and Seren were tired but not quite so wrecked as their housemates.

A few moments pass. "…fuuuuuuuck gym." Gabrielle moans from the floor.

Style die for Rickie too! Class is over and there is plenty of time before next class is scheduled, FYI.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

She made it. Did she make it? Oh, she made a mess at least. Anna nods and manages to croak out an affirmative to Ms. Trauma. First she'll take a minute to survey the damage and allow her muscles a fantasy of rest. And turn to look at Rickie when the teacher singles her out next.

"Hooooooly crow," Anna says, a smile stretching some of the few muscles that haven't been terribly abused over the last hour. "Andrew Lloyd Webber, you can go eat your heart out, because we've got Rickie and the Amazing Technicolor Gym-Clothes!"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"I look handsome, I look smart, I am a walking work of art!" Rickie gasps from the floor, feeling like none of those things. "I don't suppose any of you have telekinesis and can pick me up?" Groaning, she struggles to her feet and disgustedly surveys the floor she had been working out on. "Most people use mats to exercise, but I need a dropcloth."

With a clench of one hand (and a groan), she pulls most of the pigment off the floor and out of her clothes, forming a ball in midair next to her. Scowling, she looks at the ball and turns it into a cylinder, then expands it into a soda can. Pocari Sweat.

"Ugh, yes. Shower." Wobbling, she stumbles towards the locker room.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Crystal moves in to get an arm up under Rickie, helping her make her way to the locker room. "This stuff better not stain," she warn. "Did you all never have gym at your old schools?" she asks, looking at Anna but asking the group.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Gym is getting hit by a dodgeball and sitting out on the bleachers." Gabrielle kindly informs Crystal, sitting on the floor but still catching her breath. Alice and Samantha were fairing even worse than that, Alice still laid out on the floor and Samantha having turned a very pale orange. "I think we're going to have to take some of their exercises." Seren quietly tells Bo.

Jean starts to clean up the feathers, using her huge wings to sweep them towards one pile for easy disposal.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

She wasn't quite sure how she got through the last set of exercises. The mental image of the teacher's head bursting into flame had probably helped more than was psychologically healthy.

"Just... just give me a minute." The best part of any exercise was inevitably the end - and lying flat out on the floor was undoubtedly the best way to spend that time. She aches. Not as much as she thought she would, but still. She hadn't done anything this strenuous in a long time.

Pushing herself to her knees, then lumbering into a standing position, Sarah surveys the room. The floor was littered with girls still recovering. She wanders over to Cecilia and Tara, panting as she goes.

"You ok?" She offers a hand to her housemates. "Figures they can't all be like Tabby." Then, to the wider room: "Anyone else feel really bad for Purple house right now?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Maybe it's just an act?" Bo suggests, suddenly appearing near Sarah. "Like, she plays the big tough mean sports teacher so we all do what she asks and stuff but reallyshe'snotthatbad?"

"I don't know. Gloom was even more spacey than she was at the welcoming thing." Jean notes from her sweeping. "She has this sort of… robot spider P.A guy." She looks up to the Blue. "That filled us in on, like, most of the school stuff. She was staring at the wall for most of yesterday."

"Maybe the Purples are all the psychos who deserve it." Samantha opines, her skin returning to a more 'normal' shade of blue as she gets herself up and starts to head to the showers.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

"You're using your wings?" Anna asks Jean. There's a cringe in her voice. "Um, if you want to make a pile, I'll scoop them up and put them in the trash," she offers.

Toward the discussion, Anna suggests, "Maybe she's a hardass who knows how to modulate? Whatever it is, I'm going to try and stay as far off her bad side as I can."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"She does seem to be- ooch- a little kinder than she looks. I was half expecting to be stepped on and yelled at when I started giggling. Which was due to picturing her as a drill sergeant, by the way. Voice from Full Metal Jacket and all."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"At least them being big is good for some things." Jean smiles back to Anna, the pair working together to make quick work of the feather strewn floor. A couple of the Red girls giggle at Rickie's imagination. "Yeah. Seems about right." Gabrielle agrees.

Rickie, Crystal, and whomever else chooses go to the locker room to grab a quick shower. Lord knows they (especially Rickie, her paint sweat thankfully not clogging the drains) need it after that work out. Crystal during the course of her normal peeking around the locker room, notices that Samantha has healed scars on her along her wrists. And they go down the road, not across the street.

A good fifteen minutes later and everybody who wanted to be are all showered up. Red House had finished up a bit earlier and had already left, saying their goodbyes and catch you laters. Bo's frantic waving creates a nice breeze. Jean even offers meet up with Anna after classes to get some of that flying in, maybe. The impression you get is that they like you Blues.

If Blue House left for Literature now, they'd get to their class a bit earlier then they'd need to.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 11, 2012

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

She didn't actually work up a sweat, so Crystal gets done with her changing fairly quickly. Small advantage of her state, it seems. the lines on Samatha's wrists don't register with her at first, amid the motion and changing shadow. For a moment she think they're tattoos. That's not wildly uncommon to see back home on people's arms, although usually not....it fits together with an almost audible click. Sparks of light shoot through Crystal before she turns away. That's....wow. Maybe she'll have to ask Samantha about that? Later. When she figures out how.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

The shower feels nice, a welcome cleaning after having such a rushed morning. Cecilia dwells just a minute longer than she should, and quickly rushes through getting dressed to make up for the time lost. As she finishes drying her hair with a now-soggy towel, she calls out to the other Blues, "Literature next! Fun stuff!"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Sighing, Rickie steps out of the gym into the fresh air, rolling her shoulders to try and work the last of the lactic acid out of them. "You girls go on ahead, I need to see about mailing that letter. I'll catch up."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

God that felt good. Hot showers always did, but particularly after that sort of exercise.

Lounging against a wall while the others finish up, Sarah drums her fingers idly against her leg.

"Woo", she replies to Cecilia. "As long as we get to sit down and be treated like regular people, I can't wait."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Anna crosses her fingers on the flying front, and waves the Reds goodbye. Just meeting up after classes would be cool too, though. You can see too much of people sometimes, not that her fellow Blues have given her any reason to be prickly.

"Yeah, let's go. Maybe we'll get a chance to scope out the next group before the teacher arrives." She smiles at Cecilia. "I wonder what they're going to start us out with. Maybe Little Women." Snerk. "Les Mis."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara steps out of the showers, glad that she was able to find a corner to shake off all the spiders in relative privacy. Quickly, she gets ready for the rest of the day, shoving her sweaty clothes in her old gymnastics duffel and putting on her school clothes.

"At least we won't have the looming threat of death in Lit. Probably." She shoulders her bags. "Let's head over. I want to have time to stash my clothes and get there with some wiggle room. And Les Mis would be nice. My mom took me to see the show when we were up there for...I think it was qualifiers for a regional thing. I can't remember. I've got a medal somewhere for that year, I think."

• Locked thread