Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Regina

“Home is where you make it,” Regina opines from where she against a wall, “Blue house is as good as any place to start.” She pulls up her left leg, folding it and gripping around her calf with her arms and resting the heel of her boot on the wall just below her butt, a mild and casual stretch.

“I suppose,” she says, “this shows I still need this place, at least. After hearing all about those Frankenstein experimental butchers, I want to tear out their throats with my own teeth.” Said teeth rather suddenly look carnivorous, unsurprising considering her saurian-shifter nature.

She looks down and grits her teeth, as well as tightening a fist, “Which is the wrong response, of course.”

No, that last statement is not sarcastic; frustrated with her self-control maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Sure! We can always use another Blue." She frowns a fraction. "But...I'm not sure we have room. I would offer to share but, um, I kind of spread out when I sleep?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

"Ms Caida has always been honest with us, Headmistress Frost, and she definitely didn't seem upset with us about anything," Anna replies, diplomatically.

She hesitates over the question of Elly, faced with a jumble of thoughts about what could and should be done to the people who hurt her, and who should do it. Regina speaks first, and she responds to the other Blue first.

"Actually doing it, maybe, but that's different from wanting to. I think."

Looking back to the headmistress, Anna says, "If Elly wants to, and you're okay with it, I'm definitely okay with her staying at Blue house. Ma'am."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Now there was an undertone that dissuaded argument. Sarah thought very carefully about some snide remark or comeback and decided against it. A nod and a thought and a copy of the data landed in Ms Frost's inbox, no snooper virus or keylogger attached. She'd already been in one car-crash for the day.

"Dunno about wrong response," she says to Regina. "I'm not far off that and I don't even have the right teeth."

"Welcome to Blue House I guess Elly. Remind me once you're settled in and I'll send you over a copy."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

Elly raises her head to smile at Regina and the others. "I'd be happy to stay here for the time being. If my experiences with you all so far are any indication, it'll be the best home I've ever had. And if there's a couch for me to sleep on, that'll do. I'm not picky. Blue is a quiet colour, anyway." She then shrugs her shoulders just the tiniest bit. "They'd do it in a sterile environment and call it a hyper-invasive tracheotomy or something like that, but I'm sure these people would be equally happy to cut open your throat without any hesitation, if they thought they stood to learn anything from it," Elly opines, giving Emma Frost what could be construed as an apologetic glance. "I don't advocate 'an eye for an eye' and the like, necessarily, but turning the other cheek isn't always the answer either. Not if you want to live." She blinks. "Better not to be in that kind of situation in the first place, if you can help it."

The bright-eyed girl gives Sarah a grateful nod and a smile, making a mental note to ask her just where she found those notes when the time comes. Searching the back of the van for anything worthwhile must've been nothing short of horrendous – Elly isn't sure she could have forced herself to do it.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"In due course, Elly." Ms. Frost answers. "But for now, I think you should take some time to rest and get used to the school. When things have calmed down and you're feeling better, we can look at your medical data and see where exactly you were being held."

As the Blue all agree to house their new friend, and that their House Mother wouldn't have anything troubling to report to Ms. Frost about their day out, things seem to be falling into place. "Mutants can't afford to be aggressors." Ms. Frost weighs in. "Those in power need very little reason to respond in full force against threatening mutants. Half of our staff here can testify to that."

"But mutants can't afford to not defend ourselves either. You all know how unkind the world can be to us, and as you saw today misfortune finds us with unfortunate regularity. This wasn't eye for an eye. What you girls did today was respond to a threat and protect Elly from harm. You absolutely did the right thing."

Robodog fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 18, 2015

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"Yes, ma'am," Elly says. It's about as positive a response as she could've hoped for, and besides, there's really no point to objecting. "It's just that I'm not sure if I was the only mutant captive of these people. I never saw or heard any others, mind you, but even so." She blinks. "From the practised way they went about their business, I got the impression I wasn't the first one to be held there, at any rate." The thought that there might be someone else there right this instant, forced to suffer the same ordeal she went through…she can barely stand to even think about it.

"Does this mean I'm not in any trouble for killing the men in the van?" Elly enquires. "Ignoring everything else that happened as a result, I still don't know how to feel about it," she then admits, giving her bracelet a twist. "On the one hand, I'm sorry I did it. I don't like the idea of taking a life, least of all in such a way. On the other hand, I had no idea at all I could do what I did to them, they had been experimenting on me for months, and they were taking me somewhere to be 'taken apart', so I'm not that sorry. Even if I should be, perhaps."

"Speaking of getting used to the school, I don't suppose there are any brochures available?" There is absolutely no indication that she is joking.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"If there are other mutants in there, rushing in blind after what just happened would be the worst thing we can do. First we need to gather information, know who we are facing here and what we will be up against." Ms. Frost, no doubt knowing from experience, tells Elly. "You don't have to like taking a life, Elly. Hating what you did is very much normal, it's something you will need to make peace with. But it was self-defence. Morally and legally acceptable given what happened. You don't need to worry about what may happen because of that. Let me worry about any questions authorities may or may not have."

At the question about a brochure, Ms. Frost reaches into a drawer on her desk and pulls one out. It's the same brochure the Blues got on their first day at school.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"I understand. Thank you, ma'am," she responds with a small smile for the headmistress. Emma Frost's words actually do reassure her, to a certain extent anyway. Ultimately, as she recognises well enough, coming to terms with what happened and what she did is something she must do on her own.

Elly takes the brochure, flips through it once, and hands it back to Ms Frost, all within the span of about three seconds. "Thanks. I'll admit I was not sure what to expect, but tennis courts? My old school could barely even afford to fix its leaky gym roof." She blinks. "It was an informative read, at any rate, given the format. I'll do my best to settle in quickly, and hopefully won't be annoying my new housemates with too many questions. – My apologies," Elly adds, referring to the low but audible rumble her stomach just produced.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Yeah, I think this place is better than any of the students here have been accustomed to. Leather seats in the classrooms, the art room has supplies for everything, although I think glassblowing would require repurposing the ceramics kiln... Plus there's robots. Of both the custodial and laser-eye varieties."

A thought flickers across her mind, and she probably doesn't even need to voice it, but does anyway. "Ms. Frost? I sort of blew up a couple of those scientists. And, well... I don't want them to be okay, I want them to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and maybe have some of their own experiments done to them, but I sort of don't want them dead?" She does actually, she just doesn't want to have been the one to kill them. "Do you know, are they... okay? Barring third-degree burns and psychological damage and-" She's babbling. She shuts up.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Not that Ms. Frost didn't know just how nice her academy for delinquent girls was, but she gives Elly a nod regardless.

"Did somebody set fire to your paint again?" Now as far as Rickie knew she never told Ms. Frost about that 'training accident'. In fact, outside of the GloomDome nobody had seen that robot melting fiasco. So that meant they were all indeed being monitored at least in classes, and Ms. Frost was indeed keeping an eye on what they did. I mean, it was always assumed this was the case but actually having it confirmed was a little confronting. "Before we left I scanned the area and felt some degree of brain activity from one of the vans. As nobody was alive in the van Elly was being transferred in, I can assume that the other scientists are not outright dead." The Headmistress states. "As to what their condition exactly is right now I don't know. I will look into that as soon as I can."

"Now," Ms. Frost stands up. "Today has been far from ideal, and I can imagine you girls may need some time to start coming to terms with what happened. And we are here to help you if you need it. But for now I think it would be best if you all of you got some rest." It was surprisingly late. Between the fire fight, and the rescue jet, and the debrief, it was now deep into the night and well past curfew. Time flies when you're trying to escape from mad scientists with your life.

After some time, the Blues finally head back towards their House. The idea of just crashing out in bed starting to feel like a really good one. But approaching the House, the Blues can see something. Waiting by the front door of the Blue dormitory was a certain multicoloured Red catsitter, patiently waiting with cat-in-hand for Lenore's humans to return.

FYI one Ms. Lenore is being held ala

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"It's funny," Elly muses on the way to the Blues' dormitory, "you'd think that of all the ways that people like us have to give vent to our feelings, a little coarse language would be the least of anyone's worries." She briefly uncurls her fingers to glance at the prescription slip Beast wrote out for her. "Is there a pharmacy anywhere near this place?" Elly asks her housemates. "I'm going to need these painkillers here, for the burns around my eyes." They've already started itching, and hurting a little too. "A pair of crutches might come in handy as well; I don't know how long those wounds are going to take to heal."

She looks at the cat-bearing visitor with polite curiosity, wondering about the presence of the animal in particular, but makes no move to introduce herself. Elly simply isn't very good with people – bonding with the Blues over sinister scientists pointing guns at them was one thing, and the adults she has met so far all exuded reassuring authority of one kind or another, but a complete stranger? It's a little bit much. Especially given that the day's events have already left her somewhat under the weather.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Miss Frost is like that," Crystal says. "All 'propah'," she says, with an intensely bad fake British accent. The crystalline Blue ducks in and scoops Lenore out of her caretaker's hands. "She cause trouble?" she asks with a thin smirk. Maybe trouble's just what she wants. Crystal holds Lenore, scritching her between the ears. "Home," she says to Elly. "At least for the moment."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah nods at the new girl.

"There's a medi-shed near here - not the best bedside manner but I can take you to get some painkillers if you need them. Crutches too, hell whatever you need."

She trails off as the entrance to Blue House comes into view, bringing with it the disarming sight of the dutiful catsitter. She mocks a whisper behind her hand as they approach.

"Whatever you do, don't try holding Lenore like that. I don't know how she gets away with it - probably scratch me half to death if I tried."

Sorry about the slow replies - exams are making the next couple of weeks rather hectic.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Lenore seems to object as Crystal scoops her up, wiggling about in her crystalline hands and letting out a string of whining meows. "Seren said she had a lot of fun." Sam tells the Blues, reaching over to scritch Lenore between the ears. Which seems to settle the kitty down. "And she wasn't any trouble. We all had so much fun looking after her!" Sam's skin ripples out with a touch of strawberry red.

Her eyes dart up and spot the bald girl with rather bad looking injuries and half a handcuff on her wrist. "Who's she?" Sam quickly looks to Anna, her skin reverting to dark blues and purples again.

It's cool Staggy! I think we all have some real life stuff going on right now.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Woof. Best wishes for the exams!

:3::3::3: Anna :3::3::3:

"Was going to say to ask a robo-rat to do it, but I doubt Ms. Frost is going to get angry if we break curfew a little more," Anna says quietly, intonation straining as she tries to stifle a yawn. It's been a really weird day. Sleep feels like a really good idea, quiet oblivion in a soft bed, in a safe place... until the sight of the pair on the step taps a hidden reserve of energy.

"Sam!" she blurts, rushing forward with uncharacteristic speed to wrap the Red up in arms and wings. It's a good thing that Crystal got to Lenore first, else the poor kitty might have been smooshed. "Bright Ladies, I'm glad to see you. I got you something. And something else for Red House. To say 'thank you'." The former is a plush cat doll, with markings similar to Lenore's and a gift card that reads 'She's the one with the sweetest eyes and tickliest whiskers. For when the other one isn't around.' "Have you been waiting long? It's past curfew. Lenore wasn't-- good!"

Anna pauses for breath. Between Crystal and Sam's efforts, Lenore squirms fitfully for only a few moments before cranking up a purr.

"Sorry. The field trip got messed up a few times. And... the new girl's Elly. We picked her up as a souvenir." Anna looks over her shoulder at Elly, offering the edge of a smile and an apologetic look for that less-than-graceful attempt at a joke. "Elly, this is Sam. She's with Red House. They were cat-sitting Lenore today."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Oof!" Sam says, getting wrapped up and squished by Anna and her fluffy wings. "Fi Dnna." She gets out, mouth muffled by a face full of feathers. "Oh you don't have to, just looking after Lenore was…" Sam starts, but stops after Anna pulls out the plush cat. Her eyes light up, putting Elly to shame, and her skin turns bright yellows and oranges. "Oh thank you Anna!" She almost, but not quite, squeals. It's only seconds before she is hugging that stuffed kitty to her chest just like it was the real Lenore. But not quite because if you squished the real Lenore like this you'd certainly have one unhappy tabby. "I was waiting since curfew, didn't want you guys to worry about Lenore. Anna what should I name her?"

"Oh." Sam simply says after Anna explained the new girl. "Looks like you guys get all the new girls." She notes in a sort of half jokey voice, looking at Elly herself now. "Hi, Elly." Then after a few awkward, silent moments. "Uh. The Blues are all real nice!"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"A medi-shed," she repeats, her voice perfectly flat. In Elly's mind, a Venn diagram depicting the ideal interrelation of medi-anything and sheds involves absolutely zero overlap, but she supposes that the existence of the tennis courts means corners had to be cut somewhere. "I'd appreciate it, Sarah," she says out loud. "Doctor's orders, you know. And I'd rather limp along on my own using crutches than put any of you out supporting me like this any longer." Considering the cat for a moment, she blinks. "I won't. I'm not much of an animal person, anyway."

Elly watches the colouration of the other girl's skin smoothly change as she talks to Anna, wondering all the while. Is there a pattern to it? Some progression that might be framed in mathematical terms, and thereby become predictable? It doesn't take her long at all to conclude that no, it's not that simple. Outside factors appear to affect the way her pigmentation (or equivalent biological mechanism) shifts, which makes it considerably more difficult to draw any reliable conclusions in a non-controlled environment. Still, it is a fascinating, sublimely colourful sight, especially to someone with the kind of acute vision Elly possesses. Which probably is why it takes her a few more seconds to reply to the Red girl at all.

"Hi, Sam," she finally responds, giving no indication that Anna's joke rubbed her the wrong way. Or perhaps she simply missed it altogether. "I'm sorry, I was distracted. Yes, they are good people. Magnificent people, even." Even if she were otherwise inclined to elaborate, though, doing so would likely result in having to recount the day's events more or less, and Elly really doesn't feel up to that right now – which is why she doesn't, and says no more. It's not like she's made a very good impression like this, in any case.

Yes, good luck with those exams!

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 28, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

"Let me know if you get in any trouble for being out here, okay? It's not fair if you get it for helping me," Anna tells Sam, fixing her with a serious look that melts in the face of the Red's delight. "I don't know, she's yours! Name her something sweet. I know you'll think of something nice."

Nodding, Anna turns to offer Elly a proper smile before looking back to Sam and her fuzzy new friend. "Well. You know. She needed someplace safe to stay, and since Ceece is at Jean Grey..."

"It's been a really long day."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"I think the only way Gloom would notice me is if I was a roborat." Sam points out. "But, uh, yeah. Think I should go all the same. I'll say hi to the other girls for you. And think a good name up for kitty." She gives Anna a small smile. "Nice meeting you, Elly." She leaves the new kid with, before hurrying off in the direction of Red House. Meanwhile, the Blue finally enter their own dormitory. And they find it…

…exactly the same as when they left it! Kinda messy from when they left in a rush this morning. One of the laptops still left on. Tap in the kitchen dripping a little bit. Home sweet home! Just minus one Tabby.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"Yes, home," Elly echoes Crystal's earlier words. "I like it. It looks very nice." Not that it'd take a lot to make her feel this way after having spent the past thirty-three weeks in a tiny cell, no doubt, but she still seems to genuinely mean it.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Regina

"It's not," Regina adds as an aside to Elly, "It's not actually a shed, not really. There's a lot more to it. Just ironic names are in for kids who don't like doctor visits."

Reggie greets the cat in a much more dignified manner than her compatriots (at least in the manner that constitutes dignified in the animal world,) sniff-sniffing at Lenore's fur gently to get a good idea of where she's been, what she's been doing, and who's visited her since they were away; also giving Lenore a chance to sniff back.

She looks up at the sky, her reptavian eyes dilating to take in more detail of the night surroundings, "Wish it wasn't so late; I could really use some roof time to clear my head." Roof time is when Regina jumps up onto the top of Blue House to stand on the roof, look out over the school-grounds, and... scent cleanse her nostrils with some high-ground air. It helps her think. Her roommates have seen her do it numerous times before when she needed some time to herself.

I'm sorry, I've been distracted a lot as well lately. Just stuff.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Anna makes sure Sam doesn't escape without the other gift for Red House, and waves as the other girl vanishes into the darkness.

Lenore lets out a mighty cat-yawn, all very impressive fangs and rough, ruddy ribbon of tongue, stretching out a paw with claws exposed. She doesn't do anything with them, having at least a little sense of self-preservation, but relaxes and cracks an eye to watch as Regina leans close for a sniff. The cat smells faintly of ozone and weird, scents easily associated with Professor Gloom's devices. There are others, the freshest of which is Sam's, though the other Reds figure as well. Seren's seems to be trying to do cat impressions. Lenore sniffs at the part-time reptile, taking in the complex scents of a large, modern city, but seems unmoved. Felines!

Folding her wings reflexively, the goth steps over the threshold. Everything's as normal as it gets, and after today that's fine by her. Same tap nobody's worked up the annoyance to fix. Same laptop someone forgot to turn off. Whoops. Same...

"Should we wait up for her?" Anna asks, folding her remaining parcel under one arm.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

It was, in fact, Rickie's laptop that had been left out. After consulting with Gail on what sort of network traffic was allowed, whenever the artist was working at it she was accompanied by a low-volume soundtrack of EDM, a capella groups, and a number of performers who did interesting things with classical instruments. As such, the day had been spent serenading the empty room (And the robo-rats) with Lindsey Stirling's body of work.

"I need to do laundry," Rickie comments, her shirt gaining twisting wrinkles like it was being wrung out, accompanied by aquamarine cartoon water drops running down her pant legs. She starts checking her pants pockets, removing receipts and ticket stubs... and a spider. "Tara, I think this is yours."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Always looked pretty shed-like to me," Crystal says. She stifles a yawn, not at all successfully. "Just let me sleep all day tomorrow."

I, likewise, haven't been super on the ball. Go Blue House!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The Blues tend to those last few things before hitting the hay. Anna has cat duties, making sure Lenore was not worse for wear after her day with the Reds. Which she of course wasn't. After being treated to a day out like this, she as going to think she was the queen of the school soon enough. Her and about a half-dozen other girls here.

Rickie peels her paint-drenched clothes off and throws it all in the washing machine. It was still an odd feeling to just throw paint down the drain like that, it's not environmentally friendly after all, but it really was just sweat. And for the first few minutes, it was like looking at an animated Andy Warhol spinning around through the clear front loading door.

Sarah finds the weapon she 'borrowed' had been dutifully delivered to her room, courtesy of the roborats. Showing off that she had a gun would probably only get her in trouble, so best it gets hidden away for now. But that's not the only thing she finds! While it was Rickie's lappy that had been left open with some music playing, it stopped playing shortly after they left. It had been the roborats who were using youtube to bring up more playlists of Lindsey Stirling! Apparently the roborats liked the up-tempo fiddle music of the youtube phenom.

Elly, lacking a bed and not wanting to stay in the room of the House Mother she injured, decides to crash on the couch. The linen closet had spare pillows and a blanket that she could use, and compared to the lab a cushioned couch was the lap of luxury. Even for her reform school Ms. Frost only settled for the finest furniture. Even if she didn't, after such a long and trying and outright painful day all it took was for her head to touch that pillow and Elly was out like a light.

She wasn't the only one. While there were still rogue mutant chasing scientists out there, and concerns over the injuries Tabby had received, and much much more worth fretting about; there was only so much the Blues could worry about in one day. And it has been such a long day. All these things could be sorted out another day. Now it was time for some well deserved rest.

Elly had now been at Frost's Academy for almost a week now. She had visited the medical shed and got a pair of crutches and her painkillers. And managed to avoid the hospitalised Ms. Caida while she was there, still not wanting to face the repercussions of her escape. The other Blues had visited though, and a huge weight was lifted when they saw their House Mother was still her old self. Beaten and bloodied, and still under medical shed orders to stay under observation, but nothing that wouldn't heal in time. Her Society classes had been postponed the whole week, with Science being moved up to stand in for it and the afternoon period replaced by an hour of free-from creative art in the by now well worn in art room. Not having Tabby's cheer to perk them up in the morning was a little bit of a downer, but at least the teacher herself was okay.

Today was also Elly's first day of classes with the rest of the Blues. Starting with Gym. Since Elly seemed to excel on more scholarly subjects it probably wasn't going to be the easiest way for her to start her time as a full-fledged student. But her foot had healed enough that she didn't need crutches, hot shower after hot shower had cleaned any grim and mark from the lab and crash, and her painkillers were taking care of any other niggling aches and pains. So if she was ever going to be ready for Gym, it was now.

The Reds were already there, and thankfully no House Mother to go along with them "See," Sam points out to her fellow Reds. "That's the new girl. Elly." She points out the newest Blue for the other Reds, easy to tell her out from the crowd thanks to the broken cuff on her wrist and shaved head. To their credit though they don't gawk or rush over to check out her head scars or anything like that. Red house waits for the Blues to come in and, if Elly introduces herself, in turn introduce themselves to the new girl. Sam, of course, she had already met. Jean, the older girl with wings like Anna. Bo, jittery and energetic. Gabrielle, covered in a light dusting of flame. Alice, with bright glowing blue eyes and largely unresponsive to the excitement of a new girl. And Seren the shapeshifter.

They all seem friendly enough. Though Elly wouldn't know for sure until she got to know them better. But the Blues all turned out to be nice, despite the way they met. Maybe this school wasn't just for bad girls after all? "Anna?" Jean catches the Blue while the two houses were still mulling about chit-chatting. "Sam said the presents were from you?" The multicolour Red probably couldn't contain herself after getting back to her House with the plush kitty in tow. "You really didn't have to, it was fun cat-sitting Lenore. But thank you." She gives her flying compatriot a warm smile.

"Okay girls," Announces Blunt Trauma as she strides into the gymnasium. She was in her blue and purple costume and still towered over the students. But there was something about Blunt Trauma that seemed less… Blunt Trauma-y. She wasn't throwing about her usual menace or seething at the girls with barely contained, bubbling rage. She wasn't even making eye contact, normally a fierce stare that puts everybody in their place. She seemed more like, for lack of a better word, an actual teacher. And less of a psycho pain loving super-villain. "We're going to change things up today. Blues, pair up with a Red. Reds, pair up with a Blue." She instructs, heading into her small office. "I'll be back out in a minute."

The Reds pretty much just stand there and look at themselves, then the Blues, not really knowing what to do. Was Blunt Trauma serious here? What about their laps and push-ups and everything? …what exactly was going to happen?

Very sorry this took so long. Real life and everything came up. I'll endeavour to be better.

If you wish to add what you got up to during the week, please go ahead.

Additionally, I would be giving out PP here but nobody seems to be spending them. So if anybody wants to just upgrade their sheets or add a new power, just pop on IRC and we'll have a chat and I'll just add it to your sheet ala Rickie getting her paint explosion power.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie looks askance at Ms. Sanders as she disappears into her office. Pairing off... This could be anything from martial arts practice to racquetball, though she seriously doubts it's racquetball. She considers her options for pairing up. It doesn't take her long to head for Samantha.

"Sam! Team Mondrian?" The two had gotten into discussions of various artists during art club, Piet Mondrian being one such discussed. A number of primary-colored squares blossom on Rickie's outfit as she holds up her hand for a combination high-five and handclasp.

---

I honestly meant to spend points last time you mentioned, but spaced it. It honestly hasn't felt like I needed all the mechanics on my sheet, as well, which might explain some of the procrastination. Anyway, it's updated, and solidly, too. Actually put some things in that should have been there from the start.

PL 9 (14): Illusion +1 rank (4) (APs boosted to PL9), STA +1 (2), Ranged Attack 1 (1), Insight +6 (3), Deception +2 (1), Persuasion +2 (1), added Precise to Chameleon, added Reversible to Eyeshadow, changed Environment (Vision) to Area Concealment and made it an AP of Illusion, slightly raised Move Object's RP weight limit, new power: Napalm Overcoat (1).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

It's a very peaceful week for the newest student at Ms Frost's Home for Wayward Girls.

With the headmistress being quite insistent that no, Elly is not going to be attending any classes until she has had time to heal, there's not much for her to actually do. Occasionally she spends a minute or two watching the other Blues as they do their homework; she flips through and absorbs their textbooks, as she does with just about any piece of writing she comes across; and after glancing at their laptops, she realises she'll need one with a customised display, her tremendously accelerated perception and speed of thought far outstripping their run-of-the-mill refresh rate. (This requires her to track down Professor Gloom's arachnoid attaché, who concurs that a custom laptop is required, and assures her that it will be ready by the time she'll need it for her classes. Or should that be 'which assures her'? Elly has no idea what the spider-like machine actually is.) In general, however, if Elly didn't ask her housemates a question or two every now and then about the finer points of day-to-day life at the school, it'd be easy to forget she's there at all – she simply is quiet like that.

Most of the time, in any case, she's found out-of-doors – not to avoid the others' company but because closed spaces, even ones as nicely appointed as those comprising the Blue dorm, still make her feel uneasy. No matter how well Elly recognises rationally that she's no longer a prisoner (at least not in the way she was all those months), there's no denying that being alternately confined to a downright minuscule cell and strapped tightly to a variety of chairs and examination tables has left its marks on her, even if she's only partially aware of this most of the time. That peculiar sense of the walls and ceiling starting to close in on her, that feeling of something in her chest constricting, of each breath yielding less precious air for every minute she lingers indoors…none of it is rational, of course, but that doesn't make these sensations any less real to her, or the escape into the boundless outdoors any less liberating.

The school's grounds are well-kept, fairly spacious, and really rather beautiful, she soon discovers. While everybody else is off to class Elly roams and explores, deriving considerable enjoyment from being able to walk around freely, or as freely as circumstances permit at any rate. Before long she even has a favourite tree, a venerable beech some distance away from the dorms and other buildings, perfect for sitting under and…not doing anything, really. For Elly, it is enough that she can smell the unadulterated, earthy scent of the green grounds around her, and feel the wind and sun on her skin, and watch the sky. Were anybody else around, that person might find it strange how Elly can sit beneath a tree for hours at a time doing, to all appearances, nothing – but she makes sure to venture outside during the day when, apart from the occasional roborat zipping past, there is nobody around. Elly finds herself perfectly alone, and she really is quite all right with this.

When she raises her hand and brushes across her scalp, she can feel a fine fuzz starting to grow again among the scars, like grass slowly reclaiming a pockmarked battlefield. Her hair, though already cropped quite short at the time, had last been shaved two days prior to her escape; whether it'll ever come to be as thick and untameable as it used to be she cannot say, though Elly does hope so, because she rather misses it. Then there are the burns on the upper part of her face, which have been healing well enough, all things considered. Some moderate scarring does seem to be unavoidable: in addition to the raw, pitted skin around her eyes that is never going to be as smooth again as it once was, several streaks of glossy, discoloured tissue radiate outward from them as well, most prominently extending about two inches down her cheeks. Not that Elly particularly minds; compared to her luminescent eyes, which will forever cause her to stand out in any case, what are a few more scars?

Recent events have left her with more than merely physical scars, of course. With her intellect usually superseding her more human side, she essentially copes by repressing the emotions in question and almost instinctively avoiding any situations that could cause them to surface. This is most evident by her continued, if polite refusal to go visit Ms Caida – the other Blues may well hold it against her, but Elly is distinctly aware that her meeting the woman she nearly killed would be more than just awkward. It would most likely cause a torrent of memories and emotions to surface that she has no wish to revisit, and possibly cause a breakdown that would make her behaviour on the day of her escape seem positively calm and collected. Is Elly aware that eventually she will have to come face to face with her own House Mother? Does she know that every day she keeps avoiding her might irremediably damage their future relationship? The girl probably does, if only on a subconscious level, but for someone as bright as she is, Elly is almost perversely good at closing her mind to an unpleasant truth.

And ultimately, on afternoons like this, able to sit in silence underneath the beech without a single other soul around, she is truly at peace for the first time in a long, long while, and could not care less.

~

Gym class in general is something Elly has no particularly strong opinion on either way. Though never athletically inclined, being reasonably limber and quick on her feet at least meant she rarely was the last one picked when teams needed to be formed for some game or another, and standing fairly tall for a girl gave her an advantage when it came to basketball in particular. She had no particular expectations when it came to this gym class, although hearing some of her housemates allude to it in less than joyful tones was, perhaps, a cause for some mild concern. However bad it might be, though, it could not possibly measure up to the past eight months of Elly's life, which is why she isn't worried. Not yet.

In any case, for the time being gym class itself takes a backseat to getting to know the Reds. Not exactly being a people person, Elly is tempted to leave them be at first, but in this instance she does second-guess herself. Isn't this, after all, as close to a fresh start as she's ever going to get in her life? The slate wiped clean, and among people who are overall more like her than anyone she knew before to boot? It is an intriguing notion. To say nothing of the fact that if she is going to be staying here for the foreseeable future, getting to know the other students surely can only prove beneficial in the long run. Which is why Elly does walk over to the assembled Reds and introduce herself, even if that first step takes some effort.

On the way there, she wonders. This being a school for young mutant delinquents, it seems to follow that these girls all did something that resulted in their being here. (As did her own housemates, of course, though how forthcoming they are on the subject is a different question.) What could that something have been? Was it merely a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Much like the Blues, they don't look remotely like criminals, at least as far as Elly's idea of criminals is concerned. Perhaps the winged girl with the raptor eyes had done an inadvisable flyby over the White House? The one with the fiery aura might've set something alight in a careless moment. And after watching Sam handle those kittens (both real and stuffed), it's just about impossible to think of her as anything other than positively harmless, really. It is, at any rate, intriguing to speculate a little like this, though Elly already has accepted that she'll most likely never know. Certainly she's not going to ask, because even she knows that would be quite rude and nosy! Instead, the Reds get a "hi, I'm Elly" from her, along with her best attempt at a friendly smile. "It's nice to meet you all," she says, letting her gaze sweep across them. "Until recently I'd never met another mutant, not knowingly at least. It's very intriguing how diverse we all appear to be!" she adds, in an honest if feeble attempt to break the ice.

Laying eyes on Blunt Trauma for the first time elicits a blink from Elly, in part because the woman is a very imposing sight by anyone's standards and in part because Elly expected her to be more…intimidating after hearing what her fellow Blues had to say on the subject. "I take it this is out of the ordinary somehow?" the mutant girl asks no one in particular when the teacher is in her office again, the expression on everybody else's face having tipped even her off. "Still, I don't think she's going to ask us twice." Elly glances from Red girl to Red girl; perhaps one of them will make the first move? If none does, she'll approach the one with the dyed hair, unconsciously giving her bracelet a twist as she walks. "Gabrielle? Would you like to pair up with me?" Elly asks, giving the not-quite-burning Red a small smile. She does, however, unconsciously keep her distance a little, even beyond what the concept of personal space already deems proper – she's not afraid of fire or heat, but it can't be said just yet that she's thoroughly comfortable with them again after all that has happened, either.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 13, 2015

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

You'd think a week passing peacefully after such an eventful trip would feel empty or boring, but somehow Sarah found herself diving into everyday life. Coming down from an adrenaline high was weird. She tried to visit Tabby regularly, even if there wasn't much to talk about. She did convince the monitors to play Tetris for them, though, once "I-Spy" turned repetitive. Similarly she tried to keep Elly involved - the rest of the house disappearing for classes didn't do much to foster a sense of belonging, after all.

--

"Yeah, this is about as far from ordinary as she gets." Sarah stares at the closed door for a few moments, before turning away. "You're right though, she doesn't ask twice."

After a quick glance over at the Reds she shrugs and wanders over to Alice. "Hey, wanna buddy up?"

Like Dareon I meant to spend points last time but got distracted. I just need a day where I can go over things but I'm definitely spending some this time round - be it raising stats across the board or getting some gadgets built.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Regina

Reggie... Reggie spends much of her free time upon the the rooftop of House Blue. It's her calm place. High above the ground, it takes her away from all of the intermingling, crisscrossing, overlapping and stamped in intensity of the odors spreading across the paths and lawns of the School. Removing the smell-conflicts of the grounds helps clear her thoughts. At the same time, being so high up in the air among the wind currents allows scents to travel further to reach her. The four corners of the Facilities reach her proper nostrils if not as strong as on the ground. Not that she avoids her Blue pack mates, but she does need time to sort things out and unlike some folks, Reggie doesn't usually work things out by talking at length. The fact that she holds music and singing as interests may make that a bit odd, but there you go. There is a difference.

Much less of a pacifist than the new girl (not really a pacifist at all, really,) Regina nevertheless does still view her own urge to respond to threats with threat display in return... and then, potentially tooth and claw as a... dangerous quality. The question of whether there's a middle ground weighs heavily upon her mind, as well as whether or not that middle ground can come without a doofy costume, code name, and the responsibility of hurling herself against killer robots, hardened criminals, and freak-jobs made of rock, metal, snakes, or whatever is in vogue for insane idiot savants these days, until she or someone she cares about dies.

On a less existential level, Regina isn't sure what to make of Elly. Certainly, she's glad they saved the girl from certain doom; and she'd be the first to note Elly needs a pack to run with, and why not the Blues? And she seems like a nice girl. But Reggie doesn't know how to deal with someone so... talkative... and cerebral. The dinosaur girl is vaguely... not anxious, nor afraid... but concerned that her brevity might bore the brilliant light-eye genius. It doesn't stop her from trying to engage with Elly, but it does leave Reggie coming away puzzled and a little uncomfortable.

=====

The new exercise with House Red intrigues Regina. Intermingling packs. She muses back and forth whether or not to pair with shape-changing Seren. Two raptors on the field sounds fun. But in the end, she decides to try and step out of her comfort zone, and strides confidently towards Bo. Perhaps some practice with a motormouth (Bo) will help her with the merely verbose (Elly.)

"Hey, Bo? What do you say?" she offers, with her traditional tight-lipped (hiding the scary teeth) smile, "Your speed and my agility ought to compliment each other."

=====

I'll try and sort out pp and abilities as soon as I have the opportunity and the focus. Building a computer and other life stuff have been a lot more distracting than I like to admit lately. Sorry.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 15, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

After a while, it's sadly apparent that Tabby isn't coming... yet. It's pretty clear that Elly would like to get some rest too, which, well... front room and all. Not that Anna isn't fighting her own tiredness. Deciding that politeness and pragmatism win the night, the goth swings low and scoops up Lenore with practiced motions. A careful inspection of the cat dissolves into cooing cuddles as sugary, gloom cookie sweetness leaks out from around Anna's tired, mournful demeanor. She and Lenore slip upstairs and to their room before someone has to send for insulin pens.

Anna puts her new book down on her desk next to the laptop, and wrestles out of her clothes while Lenore waits at her feet, watching for loose strings and sniffing at fallen garments when none present themselves. The cat is the first to bed, purring loudly as she kneads at her pillow. Anna falls asleep first, lulled by the soothing sound.

The Week

Anna visits with Tabby, of course. With the class schedule, homework and curfew being what they are, she doesn't do it as often as she might like. She tends to go alone, noting that the Shed isn't huge, and her wings are. She brings a book of poetry, with a few sheets of her own tucked in near the back, for when conversation peters out.

The goth gazes at the thin book given to her by Mme. Web, her blank Book of Shadows. Consecrating it had been easy: a pinch of salt, a damp fingertip, a careful waft over the kitchen stove and a quick flight, clutched to her chest.
But how in the heck was she going to start it?
Carefully, Anna puts felt pen to paper.

Well, it was a start.

Tabby isn't the only one that the goth tries to keep up with, though dropping in on Elly when she's out on the grounds is awkward. Awkward because Anna doesn't mix well with trees: she can't see through the canopy, and flying through one is... painful. She tried to land on a big old oak when she first realized that she could fly, and getting free of the maze of poking twigs and prodding branches felt like it took an hour. She's friendly, quick to point out visible features of the school, or answer questions. She's just as quick to withdraw when it seems Elly would prefer to be alone. Anna knows what that's like.

"Mrep?"
A wriggle-filled moment later, Anna finds her lap occupied both by book and kitty. Lenore gazes up expectantly, rising with one paw on the girl's top and the other batting for her pen.
"Forgot the cardinal rule, didn't I?" she asks, setting her things aside before cradling the bundle of purrs close to her collar. "'Nothing is more interesting than you. Ever.'"
Lenore squirms her way free a few minutes later, and Anna returns to her work.

One of the places she doesn't go is the Blue House roof. Honestly, after you learn to fly, the altar that frisbees are sacrificed upon loses its novelty value quickly. The angles tend to be wrong too-- for walking, that is. She respects Regina's space too much to push her luck bothering the dino-girl while she's trying to unwind. Introverts happen, it's cool. Rooftops are Nature's way of saying, 'Go away, I'm brooding'.

Anna nods and caps her pen. It's a start.

Gym

Of all the classes to start the new girl off with, it just had to be Gym. At least it was gym with the Reds, though the Oranges would have been cool too. The others? Well... okay. Blunt Trauma wouldn't take poo poo from any of the Houses, and after that incident early in the year the showers are basically Switzerland.

Anna gives a languid wave as she wanders in with the others. The Reds will be good to Elly, she's sure of that. She's more concerned about how they liked the gifts from off-campus. Sam obviously likes her doll, but the other one is a wildcard. Jean calls out to her and she breaks off from the group, raised eyebrows belying a bored expression.

The presents? Anna smiles, nods and shrugs, all at the same time, looking suddenly abashed. "Yeah. At first I was going to-- I didn't think it was fair. They let me keep Lenore, then they let us goodie blue suede shoes go off-campus, and you Reds looked after her all day... I had to do something to thank you." She glances away, then back, and her own smile warms. "I'm glad you like them."

As Blunt Trauma arrives, Anna begins to psych herself up for the usual lung-burning pace of laps and the everything-burning stress-fest that are push-ups. She has been getting stronger, slowly, but the teacher just seems to add more work to compensate, while making references to dark fates that have become much more real with Elly's stories of captivity.

But... no laps? No push-ups? There's something distinctly off about the teacher's demeanor. Anna shares a look with Jean that simultaneously, silently asks, 'What's up with her?' and 'Want to pair up?'

"This is weird. Even the strands seem to be holding their breath. Kind of. You know."

---
RL has been kind of gross recently, but I'm sorry for taking so long to post.
I was waiting on spending XP too, sorry about that. It's getting late for math here, so I'll sort that out within the next 24 hours.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 19, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie, during the week

quote:

Dear Dad,

It's always difficult to know where to begin these letters. I'm doing well, learning and advancing as any schoolgirl should, even if my lessons necessarily include some topics and methods that most educations don't. For instance, my mutant power. Shortly after I wrote my first letter to you, I discovered that the pigment I produce is flammable when a robot shot it with a laser. I'm okay, everyone around me was okay, the medical facilities here are excellent, and I am being very, very careful.

We have had our share of adventures here. Aside from the natural excitement and stresses that come from a bunch of teenage girls who also happen to have mutant powers, Ms. Frost's hosted some kids from the Jean Grey Academy in a softball game. We won, and made some new friends in the process. And recently, we might have made the news a little bit, because an outing to New York City for good behavior was interrupted when a shadowy conspiracy transporting a mutant crashed into us. We rescued her, and now she's part of Blue House. Incidentally, tell Mom that, for all she did "for" me after my powers manifested, I appreciate that she still thought of me as her daughter and never tried to sell me to amoral scientists. Like you always say, no matter how bad things are, someone's had it worse.

Incidentally, I heard on the news about that anti-mutant legislation in our hometown. How does the opinion on that look on the ground? I realize it's "just" documentation and identification, but I can't help thinking of how that went for the Jews, yeah?

...If I'm asking about current events, that probably means I ran out of things to write about. I know you like to keep hand-writing letters, and it is a good skill to have, but (and you might know this already) I do have a school email address: asherp@frost.edu. Use whichever method you like to write back, although emails are loaded onto USB sticks and handed to us, which would vaguely defeat the purpose if this wasn't technically a prison.

Colorfully Yours,
Rickie

e: she also includes a drawing of a trio of robo-rats that decided to pose for her when they noticed her sketching one.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 19, 2015

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Can't stop Mondrian." Sam manages a smile, fiving that high and clasping that hand. Her skin even joins in, forming into a mostly static series of bold red, yellow, and blue stripes. Hopefully Blunt Trauma was planning something to do with modern art, because these two had that on lockdown.

To Elly, the Reds seem nice enough. But they've dealt with Ms. Sanders before, and they were a little on edge to chat too much with the new kid. "Huh?" The Goth-y Red first answers Elly. "Oh. Yeah, okay. But listen, if this is a race or anything we're going to lose and lose bad." She quickly spits out to the new Blue. "Just getting that out there."

Sarah got more of a response out of the medical monitors playing tetris than she did from Alice. But, even with that vacant stare, the Red takes a single step over to Sarah's side. So that probably meant a yes.

At the other end of the spectrum, Bo seems exceptionally enthusiastic at pairing up with Reggie. "Oh! Yeah! We should be able to beat anything Ms. Sanders throws at us! Between you andmewegoteverythingyoucoulddoingymcovered!" Reggie thinks she can understand most of what Bo was motormouthing.

"Yeah…" Jean agrees with Anna, the two birds obviously teaming up. Please don't make any 'birds of a feather' jokes. "She doesn't even seem angry. I don't know what she's going to make us do, but it's not going to be good." She opines, her big brown wings folding in close to her back.

And so they were all paired up. Sam and Rickie. Gabrielle and Elly. Alice and Sarah. Bo and Reggie. Jean and Anna. Seren and Crystal. Tara, with her spiders acting out, was sitting out. If they started eating somebody from Red House it would probably look bad. The pairs of Reds and Blues all wait for Ms. Sanders to come back out with whatever it was that she had planned for them. After a short time, their teacher does come back out. Twirling a small bracelet around her right index finger. She walks out calmly, the gym of course in a hush by now, until she is again standing in front of the Reds and Blue. Her small, wire-rimmed glasses are on.

"This is a power nullifier." She announces to the girls, holding the bracelet out for both Houses to see. It's smooth, metallic, and rather thick for a normal bracelet, but you still wouldn't suspect it was anything out of the ordinary if you saw it on an arm out in the street. "This is what flatscans slap you in when you get locked up. I've had the pleasure of wearing this more than once, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has been forced into one." Blunt Trauma doesn't name any names or look directly at any girl in particular, but those who have indeed experienced a power nullifier immediately feel a sinking feeling in their stomachs.

"The technology behind this is complex, but to break it down for you it actively targets and suppresses the x-gene." Ms. Sanders goes on to explain, in maybe the longest period of time without seeming threatening you have yet to see her. "Prolonged use and exposure to an activated power nullifier, among other things, causes permanent damage to the x-gene and your powers, nerve and brain damage, and cancers." The fact it was Ms. Sanders means she was 100% serious about this for sure. "If you wondered what that little burning tingle along your spine was when you had one of these on, that's why. No mutant scientist or health professional supports these devices, but that hasn't stopped their production or use one bit."

Ms. Sanders holds the device out to give it a good look herself. "At this school, you girls will never have anything like this put on you. Nothing you've done or might do in the future will ever deserve a punishment like this. That include any of the worst crimes you can think of. Destruction of property. Murder. Anything. The practise of cutting of hands for thievery is medieval, and so are these." She sweeps one arm out, pointing out a gym window. "But out there? They'd be happy if we were all locked in these things 24/7. Because powers are dangerous, and we are all dangerous." She nods to Bo. "You could steal from a bank any time you wanted." She nods to Sarah. "You could steal money from internet banking in seconds." She sighs. "And they don't trust us as people. So they want us locked up like animals."

Ms. Sanders pauses. "My mutant powers are strength, invulnerability, and geokinesis. If I had to fight all thirteen of you, even at once, I'd win. I can knock you out with a single punch, none of you are strong enough to hurt me in turn, and I can sink the ground under your feet." She doesn't say this in any boasting way, just a matter of factly way. Instructing you on how she would beat you. And none of you even think you could contest it. "But," The bracelet suddenly springs open, and Ms. Sanders clamps it around her own wrist. If anyone was expecting special effects or a lights show, they would be disappointed. Nothing seems to happen. But there is something, an almost imperceptible something. Their teacher doesn't seem quite so… deadly as before. Less threatening. Not as big and looming and on the edge of breaking heads.

She holds her wrist up. "Now my mutant abilities are suppressed. I'm no stronger or tougher than anybody else, and the only way I could affect the earth would be with a shovel." Her wrist drops, and Ms. Sanders points to the Reds and Blues. "Bo. Reggie. Come up here." Specifically, she pointed to them. "We are going to have a little demonstration. You're cape busters, and I'm a dangerous mutant escapee." Ms. Sanders takes a few steps back, so there was ten or so feet between the 'cape busters' and the 'mutant escapee.

"Capture me."

OMG Bie! Photoshops! I love it! You get like πx∞ power points. So awesome.
And Dareon!! Love the in character family stuff! Also so, so awesome!!
I need to figure out better things than power points to hand out for awesome things like these.

Kinda on that topic though, I'm kinda thinking about throwing up an OOC thread just so we can work on points and sheets and get everything up to code and updated there without mucking this thread up with it. Would be be opposed to that, or like it? Thoughts?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

The artist's skin and clothes begin aping Sam's own changes. The two tended to get into sync whenever they spent time together. It wasn't entirely conscious, and Rickie had needed to explain as much when Sam thought the artist was mocking her at first, but they'd been able to work it into actual powers practice for Sam. After long enough together with their respective powers given free rein, Rickie would reestablish control and fade her skin back to flesh tones, and Sam's would follow... part of the way, for a short time. It was progress.

When the power nullifier comes out, Rickie's eyes flick to Sam. Sam's powers were (As far as Rickie had been able to determine) the entire source of her misery. Being able to turn them off had to be appealing, but Rickie can only hope the bits about nerve damage and cancer would serve as a deterrent. Of course, if death had been preferable to having them, who could say? Maybe the possibility of "just" some brain damage was a worthwhile trade-off.

As Ms. Sanders continues, Rickie leans in and murmurs "Looks like hand-to-hand combat. How are you on that front? I started karate lessons, then Mom pulled me out when my powers manifested."

---

I'm willing to spend a hero point to make the bit about powers practice true, if need be.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Umm…" Sam whispers back. "Besides what we've been doing here I don't really know anything." She admits, though it didn't strike Rickie as a huge surprise. "Even if I did, I don't think I'd want to fight Blunt Trauma."

Consider the powers practise bit to be 100% true!!!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Elly

"That's a rather resigned attitude you have, Gabrielle," Elly remarks as calmly as usual. Of course the Red girl presumably has a much better idea of what gym class tends to be like than the new Blue does at this time, but she still fails to see the point of being written off like that before she has even been allowed to give it her best shot, whatever "it" may be.

She tilts her head to one side a little as she studies the innocuous-looking device in the teacher's hand. In spite of everything that was done to her, Elly doesn't recall ever being subjected to a nullifier – and judging from Ms Sanders's description, that's very much a good thing. Her powers didn't seem dangerous enough to warrant neutralising in this way, she figures. Even if that ultimately turned out to be a flawed assessment.

When Blunt Trauma calls on Bo and Regina first, Elly glances sidelong at her partner. "Having a plan would be useful," she says, her unblinking eyes already on the towering mutant and her would-be "captors" in front of them again. At the very least, they can learn from the speedster and saurian girl's success or failure.

I'm not opposed to an OOC thread, I guess!

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Regina

"Yes, yes, I'm sure we'll do fine," Reggie swiftly blurts, trying to get a word in edgewise with Bo. She holds up her palms as if warding off an attack, "How are you at reading visual cues quickly?"

-----

If one is well versed in reading dinosaur body language, it's hard not to read the disgust and anxious disquiet that Regina gets from mention and presence of the anti-power collars. A feel for avian body language will do in a pinch, there are a lot of loan words.

A quiver of bristling feathers travels up her spine from her tailbone to the top of her head, which should make her clothing look weird, and it probably does, but in practice, any goofiness is potentially counteracted when the ruff of feathers along the back of her neck and the "mohawk" flare out and make her look about 2-5 percent taller. Then again, she might just look like she has big, if creepy, hair.

Her facial expression stays almost neutral, despite the bitterness of her voice, "I have no idea what that thing would do to my psyche." she says. She has never really been certain how much heavy lifting The Lizard does in her brain by way of instincts and subconscious... and even personality, "It might be like trying to think around brain damage right to start with."

-----

Regina always regards Blunt Trauma with a certain wariness, to put it mildly, not that she would easily admit to fear. Species memory, instinct, and the time she's spent studying dinosaur books combine to give her reptile half the impression of Trauma as a leathery skinned, trunk-legged titan. Not a predator so much as a hulking brachiosaur. The name Sauroposeidon swims to her mind. Massive herbivores might not wish to eat you, but strength and foul tempered belligerence are their stock in trade. A nimble, lean hunter always needs to know her limits.

When Blunt Trauma dons the power-dampening bracelet, that changes the dynamic. Suddenly, she and Bo are dealing with, perhaps a young tenontosaurus, thick skinned and burly, but manageable... with teamwork... and experience... yeah.

Reggie narrows her eyes.

No way this is going to be easy.

Even without powers, Blunt Trauma is bound to be dangerous.

Regina turns her head towards Bo and leans in close to whisper, so close that she almost kisses the other girl on the ear, tilting her head so Trauma can't see her lips, "Circle and distract."

Regina rolls forward with a ranging, loping stride, (very) swiftly circling Ms Saunders with pitiless hawk eyes. Hopefully Bo picks up on her lead and makes it hard for Trauma to protect her flank. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Regina knows this is probably an object lesson on what you can do to protect yourself without powers. But there's no way the saurian huntress is going to make it easy either. After a few passes, her eyes flick across the way at her hunting partner. Assuming Bo catches it and moves to harass and distract Trauma, Reggie becomes a blur of black feathers and scales, launching across the distance toward their instructor's back. Naturally, for all her ferocity, she aims to stun and grapple with Ms Saunders. Claws are not deployed, and teeth are aimed somewhere that just implies what she could do with a bite if she wanted.

====

The intent, in less wordy words, is for Bo, as the less experienced hunter and the faster one, to distract the dangerous prey and get her to expose her flank, while Regina shifts to deinonychus form and launches herself at Trauma from behind. Reggie has Fast Grab, so if she gets a hold, she can try and grapple immediately. The idea is to grab and do nonlethal stuff of course.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah swore under her breath as Blunt Trauma spoke. They'd slapped something like that on her when she'd first been caught. At the time she hadn't put her sudden lack of powers down to anything but inexperience and had assumed the creeping, burning tingle had just been nerves. And now it turned out they'd been doing that? Those absolute, complete and utter monsters.

--

She glances around the room as Bo and Reggie begin to mutter to each other. Most of the other pairs had the same idea and were beginning to put heads together - even suppressed, Blunt Trauma wasn't someone you just ran at. Alice wasn't exactly forthcoming but where there was a will ...

"Hey." It's only a murmur and Sarah keeps her eyes flitting back and forth between the current "capebusters" and Blunt Trauma. "You ok with this?" A quick glance tells her that the girl is still unresponsive. "We can play this any way you want, if you've got a plan?"

Maybe her partner would stay silent. Probably. Still, who knew?

Yeah, an OOC thread sounds good.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Ms. Sanders's usual aura of borderline violence is bad enough. The sense that she's about to say something Important and Adult is even more uncomfortable. When the nullifier comes out and she begins to recite its horrifying side-effects, Anna wishes she could phase through the floor, or was strong enough to burst out a window and escape the horrible thing and its implications... and the realization that she was safest in here. The school might be a cage, but it was one keeping people out too.

Inwardly, she rejects the teacher's characterization of 'out there'. The X-Men and Jean Grey kids are 'out there'. So are people like Spider-Man-- and her parents! Not everyone 'out there' wanted those horrible nullifier things, not if they knew what they really did! Anna leans on her acting experience to keep her expression and stance from betraying her inner frustration.

Anna's acting chops can't keep her from flinching as Ms. Sanders puts the nullifier on herself. It's like the pulsing, knotted twitch of a migraine aura in her mind's eye as faint, latent possibilities are suddenly dammed. If there was anything truly wrong in the world, it was the direction the teacher's powers were crammed into.

Even without her powers, Blunt Trauma is built like... she's just plain built. She's definitely a lot stronger than Anna, and the goth is... well, fragile. The nullifier preys on her mind, and she worries about the possibility that the teacher wants all of them to have a go at her.

"I don't think I can handle this," she whispers anxiously to Jean, tilting her head sideways toward the other avian girl.

---
We can call the OOC thread 'Ms. Frost's Home for Wayward Girls - Free Period'. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Plan?" Gabby whispers back to Elly, very much incredulous at the suggestion. "Have you ever seen Blunt Trauma before? Any fire I can make isn't hot enough to burn her." She tells her partner. "The plan is we're going to have our faces smashed in. We don't even reach up to her shoulders, if you want to go punch her in the tit that's on you." She grumps. "What kinda plan can we do anyway?"

Sarah would have more luck trying to talk to a Dragon 32. Or an intel 486. Or a Tandy coco. Or a Texas Instruments calculator. Alice stares ahead, not blinking, not answering Sarah at all. But she does notice that Alice's eyes are starting to glow blue. A much more vivid blue than normal, the kind you see in pictures of Cherenkov radiation sometimes. Sarah knew machines better than she knew people, but she thinks that meant Alice had a plan.

Jean keeps her eyes forward on the demonstration, watching the fight as Bo and Reggie try to take down Blunt trauma. But a wing reaches out to support the head that was tilted her way, and holds Anna from behind. "It's okay Anna. Don't worry." She quietly reassured her feathered friend.

The cape busters move in on the dangerous mutant. While none of you are experts, it's clear to even the least observant among you that Blunt Trauma was very well practised at self defence. She drops herself a little low, arms out in front of her and her eyes dart between both of her assailants. Reggie circles and dances around Blunt Trauma, while Bo dashes around the teacher in little more than a blur. Every few steps Bo stops, just long enough to take Blunt Trauma's attention, before zipping off again.

Reggie uses this to sneak around in a circle, trying to keep behind Blunt Trauma. Bo seemed to cotton on to what her partner was doing, and was stopping in spots to keep Reggie at their targets back. Bo even starts darting in to poke and slap at Blunt Trauma, positively grabbing her attention and keeping her focused as much as possible on the speedster. Either Bo was truly fast or Blunt Trauma was nothing but powers, but their teacher doesn't or can't make a move to take on Bo. And all the while, the quiet dino-girl creeps around behind her.

And Reggie pounces! It's almost unnatural to not have claws, hand and foot, out to tear flesh. But this was only a training demonstration. So she manages to keep everything non-lethal

And Reggie lands on Blunt Trauma's back! Bo pulled off her part of the plan perfectly, and now she stood in front of Blunt Trauma with a big smile on her face. Being so quick, Bo must have seen this coming a mile away. And from such a dominant position, Reggie was not free to tear into her prey with tooth and claw!

…except Reggie gets bucked off like she was riding a bull at a rodeo! Using the dino-girl's momentum against her, Blunt Trauma almost flows from behind hit in the back by Reggie to grabbing her by the arms and hurling her over her head. And right into Bo, clattering both the students and sending them crashing into the floor. Blunt Trauma had the power nullifier on, so she couldn't have her strength. But sending all of Reggie just flying overhead like that? Their teacher had serious martial skills, that was beyond any doubt now.

Even before the two bodies had settled in a pile on the floor, Blunt Trauma was on them. Almost full-on elbow dropping on Reggie, she's quick to grab Reggie's clawed hand. Then she twists it behind the dino-girls own back and jams it right into Bo's neck and face. "If either of you struggle, you're going to slice yourselves right open." Blunt Trauma loudly announces, holding her submission hold long enough for either girl to try and get up if they wanted to test it out. Then after a pregnant pause that shows they don't want to risk it, Ms. Sanders rolls off the girls and jumps up to her feet. Then Ms. Sanders extends hand each to Reggie and Bo, helping them both up to their feet.

Something happens that neither House had seen yet. Ms. Sanders, Blunt Trauma, had her hands on her hips and was catching her breath. "Jujitsu. Use your opponents momentum against them. Even works against dinosaurs. But you're not an animal, Reggie, so don't attack like one. Too predictable." She tells the class, looking to Reggie for a moment. "And once upon a time, I was in the Brotherhood. And so was Quicksilver." She looks to Bo. "You're not nearly as fast as he is, Bo. Not yet. And there's a lot more you can do than just move fast as a distraction."

"But this sort of tactic is one you will see often." Blunt Trauma agrees. "Team up, two-on-one, keep the target distracted then move in to get them." She holds up a finger. "But even without powers, the key is to isolate the weak link then hammer it. Here, it was Reggie being too aggressive and Bo being too passive. This takes training, but in time you will be able to see how to exploit situations in order to escape." Her little lecture over, the teacher looks back to the group. “Anna. Jean.” Blunt Trauma nods to the pair. “You’re next.”

But Jean takes a step forward, shaking her head. “Um, I don’t think I want to do this.” She tells the teacher, despite that sounded utterly suicidal. “Anna still has an injured wing from her accident last week.” Jean points her sharp eyes at the very wing Anna had smashed in the car crash, courtesy of New York. “…you’re going to go for our wings, right?" Jean presupposes, her own wings huddled in tight against her back. "Hurt our wings, we’re stuck on the ground with hollow bones against you. Anna’s not ready for that, Ms. Sanders. So we can't do this.” Having said her piece, Jean takes a small step to be back at Anna’s side.

Ms. Sanders, for her part, just looks at the two. Hands on hips. Staring at Anna, specifically. She says nothing, but her eyes do all the talking themselves. It's almost as if she wanted Anna to say something herself…

Here is the OOC sheet thread then! Right here!!! Go forth and let us post!!

• Locked thread