Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara Anancillo

1...2...3...And she sticks the landing! The dragonfly hovering outside must be impressed. Or hungry. Or filled with ennui. So difficult to tell with those eyes.

She came to Frost's with little more than what she's wearing, her simple button-up blouse and jeans and a few extra sets of clothing she was given during her months of therapy leading since being released from the detention facility. Tara stares off into the distance, her mind very much elsewhere. Right now her mind, or, strictly speaking, a portion of the mass of her left earlobe is currently invested in building a spiderweb high up in the hall, near a window where it will catch the light. A simple, naturalistic spiral design, no "Some Pig"s yet, she needs time to build up to that.

She sighs as her spider lays down another mooring line. She knows she really should be paying more attention. Something about points and a TV? She never really watched TV--her parents pretty much locked it up when there wasn't a gymnastics tournament she needed to see, or the evening news. Wait, what was that about Blue House?

Suddenly, everyone is going around and grouping up. Are they getting into Houses or something? Oh poo poo poo poo poo poo! Tara jumps out of her seat. Alright, calm down. You just spaced out for a bit. Did Ms. Frost say anything about where to meet your housemates or who they were? Ugh...Her stomach feels like its trying to crawl up out of her throat. Which isn't entirely unlikely. She's not really made of human bit anymore, mostly just spiderstuff, so when she gets butterflies in her stomach, they're probably tarantulas. Oh, yeah, definitely tarantulas. She's beginning to sweat little spiders as she looks around.

"That's it." I'm better than this. Months of therapy and she should at least be able to handle a little orientation. She explodes into thousands upon thousands of little spiders; body, clothes, and all, erupting into the air. They quickly make their way up to the backs of chairs, and they call out in their little keening voices. "Blue House! We're Tara. Meet me at the back of the auditorium." The eerie black mass hops from chair to chair and crawls across the floor, making its way towards the back.

OH GOD SPIDERS

pre:
Name: Tara Anancillo
Code Name: Spiders-Girl
Description: Dark brown hair and eyes, light olive complexion. Delicate features.

Hero Points: 4

PL8
PP: 2/130
XP: 24

Abilities: [24 pp]
		Value		Cost
STR		0
STA		+1		2
AGL		+3		6
DEX		+3		6
FGT		+1		2
INT		+2		4
AWE		+2		4
PRE		0

Defenses:
		Base		Bonus		Total
Dodge		+3		+3		+6
Fortitude	+1
Parry		+1
Toughness	+1		+3		+4
Will		+2

Offense:
Melee			+1
	Unarmed		+3
Ranged			+3
	Throwing	+7

Initiative: +3

Skills: [23 pp]
			Ability		Bonus		Ranks		Total		Cost
Acrobatics		AGL		+3		7		+10		3.5
Athletics		STR		+0		6		+6		3
Close Combat: UA	FGT		+1		3		+4		1.5
Insight			AWE		+2		2		+4		1
Intimidation		PRE		+0		10		+10		5
Perception		AWE		+2		2		+4		1
Ranged Combat:
	Throwing	DEX		+3		5		+8		2.5
Sleight of Hand		DEX		+3		2		+5		1
Stealth			AGL		+3		7		+10		3.5

Advantages: [10pp]
1pp – Agile Feint
1pp – Daze: Intimidate
1pp – Evasion: +2 to avoid area effects
1pp – Fearless
1pp – Hide in Plain Sight
1pp – Improved Trip
1pp - Languages: Spanish
3pp – Throwing Mastery +3

Powers: [69 pp]
2pp – Comprehend: Animals (Rank 2)
	Flaw: Type – Insects Only
7pp – Weave (Create 3)
	Extras: Precise (Flat +1), Permanent (+0)
3pp – Spider Defenses (Enhanced Dodge 3)
1pp – Antidote (Feature (Rank 1)): With a touch, Tara can administer the antidote 
	to any of her poisons. You’ll just feel a little pinch...
1pp – Venom from the Rare Howsers’ Tarantula (Healing 1)
	Flaw: Limited to Others
1pp – Immunity (Rank 1): Poison
12pp – Alt Form: Tara disintegrates into a swarm of arachnids
	Flaw: Move Action
	Insubstantial: Gaseous (Rank 2): Tara can disintegrate into a swarm of arachnids
		Extra: Precise – Can affect only portions of her body if she wants to
	Concealment (Visual, Normal Sight, Rank 2)
		Flaw: Blending
4pp – Movement (Rank 2): Wall Crawling (Full Speed)
3pp – Arachnid Armor (Protection 3): When ready, her spidermass can act as an ablative armor
5pp – Regeneration (Rank 5): Since Tara is mostly made of spiders now; it’s pretty easy to heal.
	Heals one -1 Toughness penalty every other round
4pp – Remote Sensing: Sight & Sound (Rank 4): Range of 500 feet
	Flaw: Medium – Spiders
2pp – Senses (Rank 2): Darkvision
25pp – Weaken (Fort, Rank 7): Tara, being made of spiders, is rich in a wide variety of poisons
	[3pp/rank]
	Extra: Broad (Abilities) – Can choose what ability she wishes to debilitate
	Extra: Ranged – She can chuck a spider at her victim
	Extra: Incurable – Must recover naturally, unless Tara administers her Antidote
	Alt Power: Summon Spiders (Affliction, Rank 7, Will Resist): Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed
		Extra: Perception
		Tara summons a horde of spiders to terrify her target
	Alt Power: Venom (Blast 8): She throws a spider bearing a straightforward, 
	debilitative venom, designed to knock out her victim.
	AP: Bite of the Elusive Sri Lankan Sleeping Bag Spider (Affliction 8)
		Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep, Fortitude Resist, Close Range
		Extras: Cumulative

Complications:

“My Hand Fell Off and Turned Into Spiders” – The emergence of Tara’s powers was 
particularly traumatic and has since left her scarred. She makes weekly—at the very 
least—visits to the school therapist and even though she is no longer catatonic or 
hiding out in abandoned playhouses, she’s far from her best.

Motivation: “L'art pour l'art” – Her real motivation is to try and get things under 
control enough so that she can go to a real art school—any badguys bashed along the 
way are just a bonus. I wonder if there are any scholarships for superheroing...

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Gradually, Tara reforms into a dark, humanoid mass with a pair of black widows for eyes. She looks at the chaos and can do nothing but cross her arms and sigh. "BLUE! HOUSE!" She calls out again as she begins to realize her error. It all comes down to math. If you have just a little fear of creepy crawlies, and you multiply that times the weight of a sixteen-year old gymnast in spiders, disperse those across and auditorium, things get hairy. Clothes reappear as the spidermass condenses into healthy human flesh and she returns to her normal form. She doesn't ask how they do it. She's afraid that if she does, she'll come back naked next time she disintegrates. She flushes red with embarrassment. Great, you've turned a little anxiety into a fullblown incident, good job.

At least you haven't poisoned anyone. Yet.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Yeah...I don't think you need to worry after that, Anna. Being made of spiders trumps 'bird' for spookiness," she says with a smile. "I'm Tara. Tara Anancillo. Sorry about all that, guess I kind of had a little freak out there." She plays a bit with a whorl of her hair and noticing a fat brown recluse, tries to flick it off, but it simply melts back into her hand. "Oh, guess that was probably one of mine..."

Tara's taken aback by Rickie's enthusiasm, but at least she isn't weirded out by the spider thing. Actually...she's a bit too enthusiastic. She awkwardly high fives her, "Um, thanks. Your color...hand...thing is cool too. What is it?"

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 3, 2012

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Cool..." Her eyes glaze over as the others talk about powers, getting that thousand-yard stare. "My hand fell off and crawled away from me. When I caught up to it, it just melted away into the shadows..." Tara is gripping her right arm tightly, seeming to look at it but really she is very, very far away.

"Oh, sorry--You can talk to computers? Do they have much of a personality? I can chat with bugs but for the most part they aren't that interesting. And yeah, going to the House sounds good."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

It's sitting in the middle of her room, a big brown box that says "TARA" on the side, in black marker. Peeling back a flap opens up a sea of packaging peanuts, with medals and trophies poking their heads up, breaching the white foam. Good and bad memories coming to the surface. It was just before nationals when she had her...breakdown. Her parents had Olympic hopes for her, but she could have settled for just a scholarship to a nice arts school... She leaves the room, the box still packed.

Tara soon spots Cecilia by the bookshelves, engrossed in an old book. She comes up to her silently, not by intent, but by nature. Though Tara may seem distant at times, she hears more than you would think, and forgets little. "So...We're both the unlucky ones here then, huh?" She pauses, watching a spider dangle down from her hair and catching it in her hand. "I mean, all the others were pretty open about their powers. Bragging, even. I don't have much of a choice, mine just sort of...comes out." She laughs anxiously.

"But..." She bites her lip, uncertain if she should continue, or how. This is probably one of the longest conversations she's had with someone who wasn't her therapist in six months. "Did you...Did you hurt people too?" Shut up shut up shut up! She might just be quiet because her power is silly, not because she's a violent psychopath like you!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara nods. It must be something bad. "I'm made of spiders now. I don't how it works, really." She reaches into her forearm and pulls a big, hairy tarantula halfway out by its leg. "I don't even bleed anymore. Dead spiders just fall out. I don't even think I have real organs and stuff anymore." She lets go of the tarantula and it wriggles back in. "Sometimes...I'm kind of worried that if I think to hard about it, something will go even worse. Like, how when I break down into spiders, my clothes go with me. Best to just leave things like that alone." Tara smiles at her own little joke, then looks down at Cecilia's book. "Is it any good?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"I think I'd be too embarrassed to weave anything that quickly. I actually do weave a bit, but I've never been able to do anything like that. Mostly, I use it to make web art. Just between you and me, I was planning on practicing here at school, leaving web graffiti art around so I could get better. The problem with bigger stuff, I think, is coordination. I have enough spiders, just not the practice to get them all working on the same thing at the same time... Hey, so can I read that after you, then?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Cecilia, wa--" She turns to face Anna, venomous spiders beginning to descend from her hair. "What did you do?!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"...Pizza?" The Forbidden Snack. In the many years since she had begun training in gymnastics, she had only had it once, a gloriously greasy slice at the roadside when the bus broke down on the way to that regional final so long ago. No, only coach-approved meals for her.

"Everything." She says in a hushed voice, barely believing the words passing her lips. "I want one with everything they can put on it. Pineapple and sausage and anchovies and ham and whatever else they can find. Or just one with pepperoni and extra cheese, if that's too much, then I'll try a bit of everyone's."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

She lifts up the heavy slice, a dozen toppings so thickly layered on top it seems almost impossible that it can hold together, even as Tara holds it with both hands. She takes a bite, barely able to get the slice in her mouth. "This pizza..." She takes another bite, beginning to laugh, "is absolutely terrible." And she just can't stop--laughing or eating that slice of pizzabomination.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Finishing up her slice of the little violation unto the laws of god and the culinary arts, Tara picks up a slice of the more mundane pepperoni. "I think I heard about that guy. They called him Lacto or Fromage-neto or something on the news." She takes a bite of the pepperoni with a satisfied sound. "This is a lot better. Does anyone mind if I have some of the garlic bread? My mom and dad never let me eat any of this junk when I was training."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara moves on to the garlic bread, knowing she should probably stop, but a little indulgence won't hurt, especially if she lets the spiders take care of it. She feels a familiar displacing sensation as her stomach ceases to be. One of the few positives of her new body is its high caloric requirements--all those spiders dying off and being re-formed need to come from somewhere. "Picture that, Ms Caida, but the weigh-ins are done at your house, by your parents every morning. Should have picked piano--" She takes another bite. "At least you get to sit down. Less travel, less stress, less..." she sighs and puts down the garlic bread. "I should probably finish unpacking."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

From the foot of the stairs, Tara stands, listening to their stories. She's not sure what to make of them. Each, pushed to the edge, and reacting in a different way. Different from her, anyway. None of them...breaking like she did. Still, they all ended up here, now, sharing their stories in this dorm over a couple nice pizzas and one really strange one.

"I'm here because I had a nervous breakdown. What I hope to gain from my experience here is to, uh, try and have that happen less?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Breathe in through your nose, letting your stomach expand. And, when you feel ready, exhale calmly, letting your shoulders fall. The breathing exercise returns quickly to Tara, drilled into her mind from the months of therapy. They never tell you what to do with your hands, she thinks to herself, as she makes her count looking at Rickie's artwork. "That...There should be more spiders." 1...2...3...4...the sculpture is gone...5...6...7...the count goes on.

She almost misses when the conversation turns back to Cecilia. She admits she's curious, but she knows that her newfound friend has a reason for hiding why she's here. She knows what they said she herself did and worse, what she dimly remembers like it happened in a fevered nightmare. "You don't have to say anything, Cecilia. But I'm sure whatever it was, you regret it. Just like most of us."

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 21, 2012

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Okay, so everything is out on the table. Maybe she can try too. She takes a deep breath. "I spent two months in an abandoned theater eating dogs, cats, and whatever else wandered in, scaring and attacking anyone who came near until some cops came to investigate, whom I attacked and tried to eat too. One of them died." She takes another breath. "The other one was fine though. Since he didn't have an allergy. Hey, maybe the TV thing would work if you did it right, like not, 'we suddenly have a TV,' but 'you enter a contest and win a free TV' " Tara steps down from the stairs and takes another slice of pizzabomination. Still warm. For some reason, she's really hungry again.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara's eyes lock with Anna's for a moment just as the other breaks her stare. She knows why.

"I'm glad Dr. Weylan's staying with me. He said his condition would make it hard to travel even if he could come." She feels a wave of relief. He came through. She's not sure if she actually likes how relieved that makes her feel. He's been a lot of help since Ms Frost put her in touch with him, but she can't help but feel like what little she's built up could all blow away in an instant without her sessions propping her up.

Her thoughts return to Anna--and everyone else, really. Maybe she should have waited longer, let them think whatever they wanted about her breakdown, maybe even lied a little. But at least it's out in the open. And they're not asking yet just how she gave that cop an allergic reaction. She's going to wait for another day to tell them that she's a walking collection of exotic, and very deadly, poisons.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara begins to laugh as the tension melts away. "I think if the spiders made a team effort and held on tight, and with a little--well, a lot of spiderweb--we could just about do it!" She makes the creepy finger wiggle at the others. "If you don't like glue, we could just use web."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"I can do something like that, but it's just because I had a really strict coach. Except there was a bucket of ice water on top of the book. And I had to do a minor balance beam routine. A leap or two, you know, nothing fancy. But basically the same."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Wha...Oh, you mean--Oh, alright. I mean, I haven't done any serious training since, you know, but I guess I can give it a shot." She kicks off her shoes and balls up her socks and puts them inside. She looks at her feet for a moment, the hard-won callouses, before placing the book on her head and walking up the banister. She could just let the spiders take her up, since she could probably do cartwheels on the ceiling if she wanted, now, but she chooses to do this all on her own. Soon, she's upstairs, and jumps down to the top landing. "Of course, I always had to vault onto the beam." With perfect poise, she jumps onto the railing and begins her exercise, quickly noticing that her clothes are terrible for this routine. Still, she carries it out, leaps, twists, turns, and all. "Normally there would be a few somersaults and tumbles, but this exercise is mostly for posture."

Acrobatics 10 to demonstrate!

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 28, 2012

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Thanks. I think I'll be fine. Probably shouldn't have tried that in jeans, I guess." Tara regains her footing and rubs the back of her neck, thankfully unsnapped. If she actually did hit the floor, she thinks she'd probably just explode into spiders or heal whatever went wrong...but she wasn't eager to test that out. "Doing it barefoot on a well-polished railing probably didn't help either. C-cool power, Ms. Caida."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara reaches for her shoes. "I don't know. I guess it's just...There's this moment, when you're up there, and everything's dead quiet, except for your feet hitting the mat or the creak of the beam, until you land. And then you hear the crowd, they're just as anxious as you are, waiting to hear what the judges have to say. And when you found out, they cheer or sigh or cry with you. There's nothing like it in the world." She slips her socks back on. "But that's just a few minutes of one day, every couple months. The rest of the year..." She ties her shoes up tight. "I think I'm going to take some art classes. I've been having some fun building webs. I can't make anything big yet, just little, nice ones."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Maybe we could form some kind of Blue House Arts Club, or something," she says with a smile. "Could be fun."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Thanks, Ms. Caida. It helps a lot." To know you're not alone. That even the faculty here are murderers. "I'm going to head to bed, if that's alright. It's been a long day."

From the doorway, she can see the box still sitting there, in the center of her room. She pulls it over to her bed and lays out her medals and trophies on the bedspread, bronze, silver and gold tones glittering back at her. Seeing it all laid out, she realizes there was a good deal more gold than anything else. Maybe mom and dad were right. She wipes the dust of a marble stand with her bedsheet. Maybe if she'd given a few more hours with her coach...

She looks for a place to set her balance beam trophy down, when the desk catches her eye and her heart freezes in her chest. In the bottom-left drawer is a letter and in that letter...

"Tara, are you sure you want this?" The doctor sits back in his chair, hand outreached as he pleads with his patient. He's middle-aged and extremely thin, with gold-rimmed glasses covering his deep-set eyes.
"I need...I need to be able to face up to what I did, Dr. Weylan."
He adjusts his glasses, "This is a potentially healthy step forward, but I'm worried it might be a little premature."
"But don't you think I've made, you know, progress? I'm not in the box anymore, I'm heading to that school--you even signed the papers, right?"
"Yes, Tara, I did. You've done very well over these past months. But recovery for someone in your situation is never simple. The incident--"
"It wasn't an incident. I--I--I killed someone. And if I'm going to make sure that never happens again, that someone needs a name. They need to be a person."
Dr. Weylan looks into Tara's eyes for a solid minute. He grabs his cane and goes over to his desk, pulling out a letter. "Here. The name and everything you want is in this envelope."
Tara takes it and stares at the letter. "Thank you."
"We can talk about it when you're ready. See you Thursday."

Tara puts the trophies and metals back in the box, sliding the box into the closet for now. Maybe later. Maybe...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara wakes up the usual way, half-formed and the room looking like a haunted house. She sighs to herself, regretting not unpacking her duster. She pulls herself together, cleans up a bit, then gets dressed and heads downstairs.

Tara's plated some fruit before she sees the roborats skitter on by and replenish the pancakes and spew out the OJ. "I think I'll stick to the milk," she says to herself, growing pale and shedding a few spiders dripping down on long strands. She wasn't going to have pancakes anyway. Just some fruit and a little oats to make up for last night. She sits down at the table with her modest breakfast, dressed ready for class. "So, what do you think PE will be like? Just normal sports or like...super-sports?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"I slept same as usual." She pops a grape into her mouth. "But we have 'Powers' listed on the schedule too, Crystal. That has to be what you're talking about, with getting us 'comfortable'. But maybe they want to double-up on training, just to make sure. Oh yeah, and some of us don't have physical abilities, do we? Like Cecilia."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Hwah?" Tara mumbles, mouthful of melon and oats. She sees the time and nearly chokes. "Ommgofffkkkkk--" She sends down some milk to flood the blockage and the spiders take of the rest. "Guh-Gotta run!" She stuffs a bunch of papers and pencils into a bag and runs out the door, following the others.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Anxiously, Tara waves to her classmates from Red House. "Um...Hi?" Come on, hold it together. "I'm Tara and I hope--" A rogue spider dangles down from her bangs, unfortunately exotic and eyecatching. She smacks it down firmly against her neck, laughing nervously.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara goes pale as she's recognized, and another traitorous spider descends, spinning to face her. "Nnno--Yes. Yeah, that was me. SO! This sure is a nice gym, isn't it? Ms. Frost really must have broke the bank. I don't think I've seen one this good...well, in a while." Some time before she would have gone to Nationals, before her incident, her coach managed to get her time at an Olympic facility. It was amazing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Coach, yes, Coach!" Tara replies reflexively with an almost military clip before she even realizes it. She jogs over to Cecilia and helps her up. "You better start running too." And just like that, she's off like a shot. She knows she'll probably regret not taking up the offer for stretches earlier, but she's not so out of shape that she can't handle a little running.

Athletics +6!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"I hope not, Cee," She says, getting down in the push-up position. "Because I can do gym without powers, easy. Well, we have to climb the rope, then I can't guarantee the spiders aren't helping. But when something hits me, spiders start flying off me, and that would mean we'd lose points, which would suck. Everyone in the House really wants that TV."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

15...16...17...Tara's beginning to regret not keeping up with her exercises during her time recuperating from her freakout. This isn't as easy as it should be, and it disappoints her more than she imagined it would. Oh well, she thinks to herself, she'll have to just start doing her morning regimen again.

"That's just how gym teachers and coaches are, I think. Even when you're not in fancy juvie, you pretty much have to be there, and they know when you don't want to be."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara steps out of the showers, glad that she was able to find a corner to shake off all the spiders in relative privacy. Quickly, she gets ready for the rest of the day, shoving her sweaty clothes in her old gymnastics duffel and putting on her school clothes.

"At least we won't have the looming threat of death in Lit. Probably." She shoulders her bags. "Let's head over. I want to have time to stash my clothes and get there with some wiggle room. And Les Mis would be nice. My mom took me to see the show when we were up there for...I think it was qualifiers for a regional thing. I can't remember. I've got a medal somewhere for that year, I think."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"I think that would be the first sign that we're actually in Ms. Frost's Future Home of the White Queen's Army of Doom," She smirks playfully. "Even prisons let you write home. I remember they gave me a bunch of SHIELD stationary and a fancy pen that you can't stab people with no matter how hard you try--or at least that's what they told me. I didn't try."

Tara puts her hands in the pockets of her newish jeans as they walk down the halls, glancing at the walls. "I guess we get all these weird lessons for perspective, you know? If it's just crazy, crazy, crazy all the time, then all us little monsters are just going to get worse and worse. But with a little normal thrown in, some math and English and stuff, it makes me feel a little...less like a freak, you know, Rickie?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Oh! I'm Tara...Just Tara..."

Literature, what is Literature? It's just...books, right? No, she doesn't want to sound like an idiot on the first day. Hey look, it's stupid Tara, her head is full of spiders and she took one too many falls from the balance beam, now she thinks Lit is just about books. And then they would all laugh, oh they would laugh. Just have a merry old time, pointing and laughing at the stupid spidergirl. And then they would start throwing things, like rotten fruit. Somehow.

She takes a deep breath and answers. "Literature is...important books. We need to study literature because it gives us a more well-rounded education." Great. You called your teacher's field 'useless filler'. Good job.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Hey, Cee, if you're so worried about writing papers, why don't you try dictating them. You know, into a audio recorder or something. Sorry, that's probably stupid." Tara looks down at her feet, eyes drifting up to the walls. "So...Society. Think that's going to be Civics, or something? You know, branches of government and the Constitution, that kind of dry old stuff."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Huh. So...does that mean that when you pick kids for the school, you do it based on who you think you can keep here? Do you, like, go down the list, thinking about who you would have neutralize who if they started getting, you know. Bad again." She starts fiddling with her eraser. "Who do you have for me?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"It could be worse, um, Tara. Hi, I'm Tara too, by the way. At least you're solid. I've got to concentrate to keep myself together or else--" She slaps down a spider running across her desk. "I'll fall to pieces and scatter across the room. Do you know how hard it is to coax a pinky finger out from behind a filing cabinet, especially after it's become a brown recluse?" She laughs nervously, but at the same time visually checks to make sure her fingers are all present and accounted for. "Telling us apart is easy, just look for the girl with all the spiders. Spiders-girl."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"That's pretty useful, Sarah," says Tara, appearing with a Dagwood sandwich come to life. "I can just talk to bugs--wait, I think I told you that." Running out of powers, going to have to find new conversation topics, Tara... "Anyway, it's not that useful. Well, unless you want to test a kitchen with a little Marco Polo. Marco!"

Using my ability to talk to bugs to try and get a response from any roaches and so on that may or may not be infesting the cafeteria.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Huh. Lotsa bugs in here. So many scared little buggy voices. You might want to check your food for roaches. I'm gonna just...yeah." Tara's left hand begins to walk down her pant leg, wrist stretching until it finally breaks away, leaving a strange boiling black stump. She quickly shoves it in he pocket. Nobody needs to see that, that...spidermass. The hand crawls under a table and disintegrates into dozens of little spiders that disperse throughout the room, seeking out the insects that answered her call. Either she'll find out why they were so scared--before all the spiders showed up, that is--or she'll have a little extra to eat and clean up the kitchen to boot.

Using my little spiders to find out why all the bugs are so scared! You know, before the spiders showed up. Not sure what skill I'd use for this. Only thing I have is Intimidation +10, to shakedown those shakey bugs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Oh, no no, there's nothing wrong." Tara waves off Kristen and Other-Tara, forgetting that one of her hands is currently a horrible spidery stump. "I was just checking to see if there were bugs, but it turns out most of them aren't even in the kitchen. It seems like the roborats eat them or--eek!" She stuffs her left wrist back into her pocket and tries willing herself back together. "Haha, nothing to worry about. Just...Have your lunch. No need to worry about bugs in the walls. Waaaaaay less than the normal amount..." She can sense some of her more unruly spiders dragging a scared roach or two off for a quick snack before returning. "Now you just stop that! I've got this big sandwich here, you'll ruin my appetite." She looks back to the pair from Gold House with a nervous smile. "Whew, it's so fun being sane, isn't it?"

• Locked thread