Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

FairGame posted:

Llamas: Wheeler and Viola are you game 1 options. Thor can go in Game 2 on full rest. deGrom could go on 3 days' rest in Game 2 if you want. Kershaw needs until Game 3 to have full rest.

League 2

Okay, can we make Viola the SP3, Thor the SP4, and Wheeler the mopup guy? basically however it takes to have Viola start game 1, Thor game 2, degrom on game 3 etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oops sorry. I’m returning the 2002 Toronto Blue Jays which I believe were a 1 point team.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Pash and I are undoing at least the jays and giants portion of our trade so I’m returning the 01 giants

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

FairGame posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnvjJpqikGw

Also, remember back when I traded 1973 Tim McCarver to the Pianists for 2003 Kenny Lofton?

We are undoing that so as to facilitate London giving back the 2003 Cubs in the tradeback.

Many thanks to you, and just to make it official I am trading them back yes

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I am participating in the trade-back program and am trading in the 1982 St. Louis Cardinals worth 3 points.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i'm not taking more than 30 seconds to look for a replacement team that's going to die in the gauntlet so 1875 red stockings

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
oh no i did not provide a roster for the gauntlet. you know what that means

Craig K fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 7, 2023

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Craig K posted:

i'm not taking more than 30 seconds to look for a replacement team that's going to die in the gauntlet so 1875 red stockings

That means mrnoun is now up in the draft

There are a bevy of Reggies Smith available. Also a few of the teams we discussed in discord once upon a time so I figure I can wave goodbye to at least one of em and that's fine! :)

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Landers take the 1938 Cincinnati Reds for 2 points, leaving us one point remaining.

Pash is up.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

NU-LEAGUE I: Marauder League Championship Series

I said I'd do these all at once, but all 4 series turned out to be really good and I think slow-walking this is fine. I'll post Fr-Sa-Su-Mo and then save the World Serieses and full championship for when I'm back from vacation. Doesn't really impact our schedule; I still need to run The Gauntlet and so on.

Anyway, our first championship series!

The Riverdale Pickle Jugheads, piloted by DannoMack, won over 100 games this season, though the presence of the Chicago Trashcats made it look a little less impressive. They feature elite infield defense (Tulo and Nolan Arenado are both ridiculous, Joe Morgan's no slouch, and Charles Johnson in a platoon is quietly one of the best defensive Cs around with a little pop in his bat) that turns good pitchers into great ones, and great ones into transcendent ones. Chris Sale had a dominant season. Craig Kimbrel was mostly automatic out of the bullpen. It's a well-rounded team that might not overpower you, but is just solid all the way around.

Their opponent? Buc-ee's Beaver Bombers are CaptMurphy's first team to go to the playoffs and I think they're a lot of fun. Murph only played 1 season of the old league and doesn't have the ingrained habits the rest of us do. He was perfectly willing to use a Reggie Jackson A's squad and it paid off handsomely. Reggie and Sal Bando put up decent offensive seasons, and 3/5 of a very good rotation came from that A's squad. Heck, he lost Bret Saberhagen for most of the 2nd half and it barely mattered. The Bombers also have a great infield defense with the Ozzie-Herr combo up the middle, though they've given that back in the Tradeback Draft. For now, though, it's what they're rolling with. They honestly remind me a lot of the Pickle Jugheads: very few spectacular pieces, but solid basically everywhere. For all that solidness, though, they still won a dozen fewer games than Riverdale, so they've gotta be seen as the underdog in this series.

A first-inning error by Catfish Hunter paves the way for a 2-run homer by Mike Piazza to get the Pickle Jugheads rolling. A Kent Hrbek compounds the problems with a 2-run homer of his own. Down 6-2 in the 9th, the Bombers start a rally punctuated by a 3-run homer by Dick Allen. As we all know, though, home runs are rally killers. The next batter grounds to second and the Pickle Jugheads take a 1-0 series lead. If there's a moral victory here, it's that the unhittable Kimbrel looked mortal; maybe Buc-ee's can get to him later in the series if necessary.

It's not necessary in this game. Nolan Arenado, unlike his IRL counterpart, hits a tie-breaking homer to put the Jugheads up 3-1. Two of the more unlikely Bomber batters power up back-to-back on their own shortly thereafter. HoJo and Darrell Porter tie things up at 3, and that's where we head going into the 9th. The AI manager, perhaps channeling Buck Showalter, or perhaps realizing that Kimbrel threw a lot of pitches the previous night, puts in Wayne "who" Granger to start the 9th inning of a tied home game. He gets into trouble, putting two men on, but works out of it. The bottom of the 9th is over quickly. Back to back singles put runners at the corners with nobody out. George Davis hits a ball up the middle that Ozzie Smith dives for and knocks down, but he's too far back to get the runner at home, ending things.

Two close games, but at the end of the day, DannoMack holds serve. The series heads to the Bombers' home field where they'll need to win at least two of three, and probably all three, to have a chance.

They get the first of them, at least. Ozzie Smith puts on a clinic, starting 2 double plays with a runner on 3rd. He also knocks in a couple runs, first with a single and then with a bases loaded walk. It almost goes for naught, as Charles Johnson hits a crushing three-run homer to tie the game and knock out the starter. The game stays that way until the ninth, when who else but The Wizard does some magic. Ozzie triples into the gap to start the inning, and scrambles home on Danny Tartabull's humpback liner over a drawn in infield. Not pretty, but it'll work. The third one-run game in the first three games ends with the Bombers climbing back into the series.

As if to assert they're no longer loving around, the Jugheads get six straight hits to open the second inning and close things out early. Neither of these teams really has the offense to come back from that kind of deficit, and while the Bombers scratch across several runs of their own, the game is really never in doubt after that 2nd inning rally. DannoMack now holds a 3-1 lead, the most dangerous lead in sports.

Catfish Hunter gives zero fucks about having his back to the wall, and goes toe-to-toe with a masterful Chris Sale. The Jugheads never get a man to third base the entire game, and only one man to second--a stolen base by Mookie Betts who promptly goes nowhere. Sal Bando singles late to drive in the only run of the game. Hunter tires at the end, but Bruce Sutter and his magnificent beard need only six pitches to close things out.

We'll head back to Riverdale to decide things.

It's an ugly game from the start. Al Downing gives up baserunners left and right, but works out of a bases loaded jam in the first to keep things scoreless. He's not so lucky in the second, as a George Davis bases loaded single puts Riverdale up 1-0. Troy Tulowitzki puts his mark on things with a three-run homer to put the game seemingly out of reach.

But wait! Charles Johnson makes an error and extends the inning for Howard Johnson to drive in a run. 4-1 isn't much better than 4-0, but it feels different. It especially feels different when the Jugheads waste another scoring opportunity, and then Danny Tartabull and Reggie Jackson combine to knot things up at 4. Ozzie continues his superb series with an RBI to suddenly put Buc-ee's ahead 5-4 in the 6th. Al Downing settles down after his rocky start and looks like he's cruising, but Arenado answers the go-ahead run with a homer, chasing Downing and knotting things up at 5. Addison Reed, Rex Brothers, and Craig Kimbrel crush the life out of the Bomber offense, and a throwing error by Claude Osteen opens the door for Riverdale to scratch across the go-ahead, and eventual series-winning runs.

The Beaver Bombers put up a good fight but fall just short of upsetting Riverdale. Riverdale advances to the World Series where they'll face the winner of the Trashcats-Airwing matchup.

Great series, folks.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 3, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think the game pix are out of order :ssh:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I take the 1901 Giants in the redraft

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Pash posted:

I take the 1901 Giants in the redraft

If you love Hickman so much why don’t you marry him

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Let's just continue to slowly rebuild the team that won the test league and take the 2016 cubs

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Bombers take 1987 Reds for 1 of our 2 points and now Murph can pick.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The other Bombers take the 1962 Milwaukee Braves

DannoMack is up!

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

FairGame posted:

:siren:I will need Gauntlet rosters by 2/15. This is after the tradeback draft. Again, teams in the Gauntlet can age up 2 true rookies to avoid the Gauntlet.

If a Gauntlet roster is not submitted, the team immediately dies.
:siren:

You can just kill my team.

I feel bad saying it, because you've put a lot of work into the new league that I appreciate, but I've realised without the narrative and history I'm just not that invested in a straight-up performance-focused Mogul league, so I'd rather any potential spot I'd have from getting through the Gauntlet goes to someone who would appreciate it more.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i will choose the 1944 Clevelands

Fairgame is up

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ginge posted:

I feel bad saying it, because you've put a lot of work into the new league that I appreciate, but I've realised without the narrative and history I'm just not that invested in a straight-up performance-focused Mogul league, so I'd rather any potential spot I'd have from getting through the Gauntlet goes to someone who would appreciate it more.

That's cool. I hope you stick around, though. I know Smasher has written some WORDS that we'll have for next season.

DannoMack posted:

i will choose the 1944 Clevelands

Fairgame is up

Pianosa Bombers select the 1982 Atlanta Braves. mrnoun finishes the draft with their last point.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
We'll double up on Reds with the 1949 variant.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
Gauntlet roster:

Hometown: Akron, Ohio (elevation: 1004 feet)
Stadium: Canal Park

Teams drafted:
1973 Chicago Cubs
1933 Chicago Cubs
1936 Boston Red Sox
2012 Cleveland Indians

Dimensions: 331-376-400-375-337
Structure: Open
Surface: Grass
Infield Quality: Excellent
Infield Grass height: Medium
Visibility: Good
Foul Ground: Average

Roster:
Batters:
code:
Pos.	Player			Source
C	Gabby Hartnett		1933 Cubs
1B	Jimmie Foxx		1936 Red Sox
2B	Billy Herman		1933 Cubs
SS	Joe Cronin		1936 Red Sox
3B	Ron Santo		1973 Cubs
LF	Billy Williams		1973 Cubs
CF	Rick Monday		1973 Cubs
RF	Frank Robinson		Nu Super Draft I [1968]
DH	Heinie Manush		1936 Red Sox

Bench:
OF/1B	Babe Herman		1933 Cubs
3B	Stan Hack		1933 Cubs
C	Rick Ferrell		1936 Red Sox [personal C for Lefty Grove]
OF	Kiki Cuyler		1933 Cubs
RF	Shin-Soo Choo		2012 Indians
IF	Asdrubal Cabrera	2012 Indians

Minors:
OF	Jose Cardenal		1973 Cubs
CF	Michael Brantley	2012 Indians
C	Carlos Santana		2012 Indians
LF	Riggs Stephenson	1933 Cubs
SS/3B	Woody English		1933 Cubs
2B	Jason Kipnis		2012 Indians
1B	Dolph Camilli		1933 Cubs, 1934 edition due to rookie status
Pitchers:
code:
Pos.	Player			Source
SP1	Rick Reuschel		1973 Cubs
SP2	Lefty Grove		1936 Red Sox [personal C: Rick Ferrell]
SP3	Corey Kluber		2012 Indians
SP4	Lon Warneke		1933 Cubs
SP5	Fergie Jenkins		1973 Cubs

Bullpen:
CL	Bob Locker		1973 Cubs
SU	Mike Timlin		Nu Super Draft I [1992]
SR	Dave LaRoche		1973 Cubs
SR	Joe Smith		2012 Indians
MR	Charlie Root		1933 Cubs
LR	Burt Hooton		1973 Cubs

Minors:
SP	Milt Pappas		1973 Cubs
SP	Wes Ferrell		1936 Red Sox
RP	Jack Aker		1973 Cubs
RP	Cody Allen		2012 Indians, 2013 edition due to rookie status
RP	Tony Sipp		2012 Indians
RP	Chris Perez		2012 Indians
RP	Vinnie Pestano		2012 Indians
Lineups:
code:
1. Billy Herman (2B)
2. Heinie Manush (DH)
3. Jimmie Foxx (1B)
4. Ron Santo (3B)
5. Frank Robinson (RF)
6. Billy Williams (LF)
7. Joe Cronin (SS)
8. Rick Monday (CF)
9. Gabby Hartnett (C) [Rick Ferrell is the personal C for Lefty Grove]
ROOKIE NOTE:
Please apply the age fix to Dolph Camilli (1B) and Cody Allen (RP), both in my minors.

csv:
code:
#BATTERS
hartne001cha,1933
foxx--001jam,1936
herman002wil,1933
cronin001jos,1936
santo-001ron,1973
willia004bil,1973
brantl001mic,2012
choo--001shi,2012
manush001hen,1936
herman001flo,1933
hack--001sta,1933
ferrel001ric,1936
cuyler001haz,1933
carden001jos,1973
cabrer001asd,2012
monday001rob,1973
santan001car,2012
stephe002jac,1933
englis001elw,1933
kipnis001jas,2012
robins001fra,1968
camill001ado,1934
#PITCHERS
jenkin001fer,1973
reusch001ric,1973
grove-002rob,1936
warnek001lon,1933
kluber001cor,2012
smith-001jos,2012
locker001rob,1973
pestan001vin,2012
aker--001jac,1973
root--001cha,1933
hooton001bur,1973
pappas001mil,1973
laroch002dav,1973
ferrel001wes,1936
allen-003cod,2013
sipp--001ton,2012
timlin001mic,1992
perez-001chr,2012
Strategy:
code:
Hit and Run: 1
Sacrifice Bunt: 0
Squeeze Play: 0
Trying for Extra Bases: 0
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 1
Pitch Outs: 1
Giving Intentional Walks: 0
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 1
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: 0
Making Cutoff Throws: 0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 0
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -2
Letting Pitchers Pitch Through Trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers Rack Up High Pitch Counts: 0
Defensive Replacements: 0

GVOLTT fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 5, 2023

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

GVOLTT posted:

gauntlet roster

This seems fine, but re: "rookie boosts"

Just list their year as +1. Make the change yourself so I don't forget it on import.

In this instance it doesn't matter; they're in your minors and The Gauntlet gets simmed all at once so they'll never see action anyway. But for all owners: please make the rookie boost yourself. Pick 2 guys without any MLB experience on your roster and list them as being from their actual year +1.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

NU-LEAGUE I: LUCAS LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Time for our 2nd of 4 championship series.

The Fangorn Ents are the home team in this series and rely on power pitching. Clayton Kershaw and Yu Darvish are a dangerous 1-2 combo, and Kenta Maeda's no slouch at #3. Kenley Jansen and Brad Lidge can slam the door on anyone in the bullpen. Their offense, though, is pretty pedestrian. They got good seasons out of Lance Berkman and Jimmie Foxx. Mickey Cochrane was his usual OBP monster self behind the dish, but the rest of the offense is varying derees of "kind of ok" to "actively bad." Still, an offense that's pretty average when combined with elite pitching turned out to win 95 games. I'm not sure they'll be able to repeat that success going forward; they outplayed their Pythag by nearly 10 games. But they're here now and also red hot.

They're opposed by another red hot team, the Rochester Generics, who ran down first Pianosa and then Kanto to take first place in the Solo division. They scored over 1000 runs! They almost gave up 1000 runs! Rochester just hits dingers constantly and worries about run prevention later. With a middle of the lineup featuring Mel Ott/Babe Ruth/Mike Trout/Shohei Ohtani they strike fear into opposing pitching staffs. They're also the most Frankenstein creation of the Nu League. Starting pitcher Ohtani is actually just Max Scherzer in disguise. Gary Carter is actually Ed Sprague with stats tuned up to be similar to Habeas' Carter (no idea why I didn't just clone Carter). Smokey Joe Williams had to be adjusted because he broke on conversion to pitcher. Babe Ruth lists as having 99/100 fielding competency at all positions because he broke when going two-way. He doesn't actually have it, by the way. Just the feature Clay Dreslough heralded upon release of 2022 doesn't loving work at all lmao. Anyway, they're the underdog here but they're such a high-variance team that I'd not be surprised by a sweep either way.

So naturally Game 1 doesn't feature much drama at all. Kenta Maeda shuts down the Generics' bats preetty handily, only surrendering a couple solo shots. Meanwhile, the bottom of the Ents lineup devastates the Generics and Ohtani, who has a terrible day. Golden sombrero at the dish, 5 runs in 6 innings on the bump. Rochester will have to do better than this if they want this series.

Rochester does better than that. Sure, they fall behind 2-0 on more damage from the bottom of the Ents lineup, including a Carlos Beltran solo shot in the fourth inning. But Gary Carter immediately equalizes the next inning with a 2 out double off the wall. Then Mike Trout continues the party with a booming opposite field jack to put Rochester up for good. The Generics don't have an imposing bullpen, but the combination of Jumbo Brown and Rube Foster proves enough to send the series to Rochester tied up at 1.

Game 3 looks like it might be a turning point, though. The Ents finally get to unleash staff ace Clayton Kershaw, who doesn't disappoint in October. He nearly gets out of the 7th, and leaves with a 5-0 lead on the strength of an Aramis Ramirez home run. I have no idea whether Babe Ruth actually did what the box score says he did; it screws up massively when he appears as a pitcher and hitter. Anyway, Sergio Romo gives up a late home run to Lou Boudreau that makes it interesting, but Kenley Jansen slams the door and wrests home field advantage back from Rochester.

The Generics tie the series up in game 4 in typical Rochester Generics fashion: via the long ball. Chris Taylor and Carlos Beltran both hit solo shots early, but they're overcome by two 5-run rallies. One capped by an Ohtani 3-run homer, one capped by a sixth inning Tris Speaker grand slam. Speaker only hit 2 during the regular season, but sometimes punch hitters just get a hold of the ball in October. It's enough to overwhelm the Ents who don't really have the offense to trade crooked numbers, and the series goes to game 5 knotted at 2-2.

Things start out well enough for the Ents. Lance Berkman mashes a 2-2 fastball over the left field bleachers to stake the Ents to a 1-0 lead. But then the Generics go to work. Singles by Tris Speaker and Mel Ott bring Babe Ruth to the plate looking to feast. He homers for three runs, and Mike Trout follows with a solo shot of his own to put the Generics up by three. The very next inning Ott gets in on the action and makes it 6-1. The Generics repeatedly threaten the rest of the game but never plate another run. It turns out not to matter, though: Ohtani works into the 8th inning only giving up the 1 run. Again, the Generics bullpen buckles but doesn't break, as Jimmie Foxx hits a largely meaningless two-run homer. Fangorn is still enjoying home field advantage, but they've got their backs against the wall on their return to the forest.

Back in Fangorn, the Generics apparently decide they can't win via the home run. They employ small ball: a single by Ruth, a sac bunt by Trout, a tag-up on a fly ball to move Ruth to 3rd with two out. Pujols legs out an infield single, making that man on third important as the Generics get out to a 1-0 lead. Weirder still, Pujols then steals second base before being stranded.

The Ents threaten in the fourth, putting two on with 2 out, but Mickey Cochrane strikes out on three pitches. That's the last time the game is in doubt, as the Generics put it away in the 6th. More smallball: a Speaker leadoff single and steal. Boudreau singles home Spaker and hustles into 2nd on the throw home. He scores on a Mel Ott double, Ott moves to third on a fly ball, and then comes in on a Trout soft dribbler too slow to do anything but get the man at first base. Joe Wood eventually turns the ball over to Jumbo Brown, but the Ents just never manage enough of a rally to look threatening.

By a score of 4 games to 2, the Rochester Generics move forward as an underdog.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

NU-LEAGUE I: MERRY LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES, AIRWING AT TRASHCATS

Here we have our most lopsided matchup of the postseason.

Kensei's Chkalov Airwing is a pretty good team, and I suspect they'll be even better next season when they can deploy a non-bugged Juan Soto in the outfield. In the interim, Yasiel Puig filled in admirably. It's a team with some holes, and I'm not fully comfortable with the idea of a playoff team starting Matt Wieters. But hey, they've got a great 1-2 in the bullpen with Jansen and Doolittle. They've also got Clayton Kershaw who can steal a game for you here and there. But at the end of the day, this is still a team that only won 84 games and only recently managed to hold off an absentee Beet's squad. Compared to their competition, this is an enormously tough draw.

The Chicago Trashcats, on the other hand, are a loving monster. They underplayed their pythag; they won 108 games and in theory should have won more. With amazing seasons from Lance Berkman, Bryce Harper, and Dan Brouthers (not all deadball bats are useless, apparently), they had a well-above-average offense. And the run prevention was ridiculous. The Trashcats were by far the best team in all my balancing sims and they unbalanced any division I put them in. The best I could do was put them up against Cthulhu's Australian Thunder, who had an enormously high variance and could maybe give Chicago a run for their money in a good season. They had a good season. They finished 13 games back. In a reasonable world, the Trashcats will romp to a title, with perhaps a minor speed bump in the form of a very good Pickle Jugheads squad.

Let's ask the official analyst of the Nu-League, Bob Nightengale, for his opinion on this matchup.

Oh. Oh no.

Can't predict ball, Suzyn! See you tomorrow for our final championship series featuring the I-90 Interceptors and Zombie Llamas.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Really regretting the $1.2m wager I put on the Trashcats.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

:tviv:

drat, that's some series.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

NU-LEAGUE I: RODENBERRY LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

At last, we have our final championship series, pitting the Interceptors vs. the Zombie Llamas for the right to take on Rochester in the Leauge 2 finals. Despite the difference in the standings, I think this is actually a really even matchup. And even if it wasn't, weird stuff can happen in short series. Look no further than the Trashcats getting unceremoniously dumpstered by kensei. Let's meet the teams.

The I-90 Interceptors are Monathin's creation as he returns to the league after treacherously going to work on Blaseball for a while. They also only recently got out of their own way; they were a pretty pedestrian team for most of the first half. They seemingly played better once they got intentional walks out of their system, something I also noticed with the Pianosa Bombers. I think even in a league setup where teams do have holes in their lineup, intentional walks will haunt :iiam: and you're best off not doing it.

Anyway, there's really nothing exceptional about the Interceptors. They have a balanced offense, a competent but unspectacular defense, and decent pitching. Jay Buhner had an MVP-caliber season but other than that? Just a bunch of guys solidly doing their job.

The Zombie Llamas are an exceedingly weird team. Their Pythag suggests they're mediocre, but they pretty much ran away and hid in first place from the jump. Larry Doby had a magnificent season for them, proving that he's not a horrible curse--at least not in NuMogul. They also employ a Clayton Kershaw. Lotta Kershaws in the postseason. Probably a reason for that.

They're also using Jonathan Broxton as their closer, a notion that offends and terrifies me.

GAME ONE

A wild back-and-forth contest where the Llamas being the home team probably is the only reason they won. Given a chance, I-90 presumably answers yet again. Doby gets things started in the first with a home run, but Ken Griffey equalizes an inning later, driving in Buhner via a home run of his own. The Interceptors small-ball a run home to take a lead in the third, on a Mickey Cochrane walk, stolen base, and scramble home on a sac fly. The Llamas answer immediately in the form of a 2-out RBI double by Eddie Mathews to give a lead back to the Llamas. The lead doesn't last long as the Interceptors string together 5 hits in the 4th to go back up 7-4. Doby tries to do it himself, hitting his second homer to bring things to 7-5. Things settle down a bit thereafter, with the teams trading runs to make it 8-6 in the 8th.

Monty Stratton takes the mound to start the 8th and immediately things go bad. His first pitch is whacked into center by Manny, and he loses command on a waste pitch to Mathews, hitting him. The infield shortens up for a double play, and Joe Torre's tailor-made GIDP ends up being a ball the second baseman has to dive for. He keeps it on the infield but Torre ends up with an infield single, loading the bases with nobody out. Then disaster strikes: Joe Gordon taps a ball right at the third baseman, who fires home for one, and then on to first to complete the double play. I-90 has a chance to work out of it, but with 2nd and 3rd, nobody out, Larry Doby lurking on deck, and the team under strict "no IBB" orders, they face Lou Boudreau. It's the right play, but the wrong result. Boudreau singles through the hole to tie it, and while Doby strikes out to end the inning, the game is knotted up at 8.

The Interceptors had bullpen problems all year, so it's something of a minor miracle they keep the Llamas scoreless a while longer, but they're unable to push a go-ahead run home. That leads to Brian Fuentes taking the mound in the 10th. This time, the Llamas put the winning run on 3rd with less than two out and the Interceptors go for the IBB of Doby. Ron Perranoski comes in hoping for a ground ball from Hank Aaron. He gets it, but the second baseman has to range a bit too far to get it, and the throw comes home a touch late. The Llamas walk off a wild one, though it's one of their home games. Tough one to lose for I-90 but also one they're theoretically expected to lose.

GAME TWO

This one's the story of two nightmare innings. I-90 provided the bigger nightmare, so they ended up winning. Up 3-0 in the 5th, the wheels completely come off for the Interceptors' Tommy Bridges. Mathews homers to lead off, and then Doby hits his third home run in two games a few batters later to make it 4-3 Llamas. The bleeding can't stop: Ken Williams hits a homer of his own, and even reliever Andrew Bailey gets torched and it's suddenly 7-3 Llamas.

In the seventh, the Interceptors answer. Zack Wheeler comes out in relief in a 8-3 game and immediately gives up a single and a homer. And then another home. And then walks a couple guys before a wild pitch. During all of this, Llama is just watching, I guess. Hung-Chi Kuo doesn't even enter the game until it's 10-8, and while he gets out of the inning there's a couple productive outs that make it 11-8. Kuo doesn't do a great job himself, giving up a couple more runs on an Edgar homer. Having seen enough from other bullpen options, Monathin turns to Grant Balfour in the 9th. Assisted by Randy Johnson, the two work out of trouble and even the series 1-1. The series now heads back to the Interceptors' home field where ace Sandy Koufax will look to give Monathin the lead.

GAME THREE

This one looks more like a proper pitching duel. Joe Torre hits an early home run off of Koufax and stakes Jacob deGrom to a 2-0 lead. That leads holds up all the way until the ninth inning where it turns out Jonathan Broxton just isn't that rliable. Goose Goslin homers immediately to cut the lead in half, and then the Mariners' trio of Edgar-Buhner-Griffey combine to even things up. They go on to load the bases, but Hank Greenberg pops up to end the threat. After a largely uneventful top of the tenth, Jeurys Familia comes in for the Llamas. He walks a couple and then immediately pays for it on a Buhner walk-off single.

With that bullpen meltdown, Llama now finds himself down 2-1 and backed up against the wall. He does, at least, have Clayton Kershaw taking the bump in Game 4.

GAME FOUR

Not much to say here. The Llamas beat the poo poo out of Don Drysdale, and while I-90 puts up some runs of their own, they're just not enough to overcome the Llamas onslaught. Series back even.

GAME FIVE

A virtual repeat of Game 4, only this time with Schoolboy Rowe playing the part of "hapless guy who gets crushed by a shitload of dingers." The Llamas not only have a 3-2 lead, but get to go home for Game 6, and if needed, Game 7.

GAME SIX

Needing a miracle to win two straight on the road, Tommy Bridges provides. He's virtually untouchable, giving up only a couple scratch hits with 2 of them not even leaving the infield. Meanwhile, the Llamas kick the ball around. Ken Williams, the offensive hero of games 4 and 5, gives the Interceptors the lead by dropping a fly ball in the outfield. The defense fails again in the fifth when the Llamas boot an easy double play ball and suddenly it's 4-0 instead of inning over. Randy Johnson comes in to relieve--a rare, but not totally unseen role for him, and shuts the door. We will see you tomorrow night.

GAME SEVEN

We'll pick it up in the 7th, tied 2-2. Joe Torre homered earlier but Griffey and Edgar answered it with solo shots of their own. Neither team is willing to go to the bullpen, having been burned numerous times in the series. That said, we're well into the third time through the order and the lack of competent bullpenning looms large. Sandy Koufax is still in the game for I-90, and seemingly Monathin is unwilling to go to an unreliable bullpen. He watches as Koufax is victimized by a fielding error, and then Lou Boudreau works a 12 pitch single to put the Llamas up 3-2. A couple batters later, a visibly exhausted Koufax leaves the game on the hook for the loss via an unearned run.

The Llamas have seen their own bullpen fail this series, so they look to deGrom to sneak out another inning. He can't, giving up a home run to Charlie Gehringer immediately to start the 8th. With Jeurys Familia warming, deGrom, now running on fumes, gets a couple ground balls by Bresnahan and Matsui. Goose Goslin extends the inning with a line drive to right, and Llama can wait no longer. He brings in Familia, who gets Edgar down 0-2 and tries to blow a fastball by him. Edgar's ready for it, though, and does what he does best: a double to put I-90 ahead with the possible series-winning run. All they need do now is get 6 outs. From a shaky bullpen.

Monty Stratton teeters in the 8th, but a diving play by Appling with two on keeps runs off the board to end the inning. After Familia navigates the 9th, it's now up to Bob Miller to advance the Interceptors to the finals.

Lou Boudreau quickly singles, but Miller doesn't panic. He gets a ground ball from Kirby Puckett, and then fans Hank Aaron with a well-placed running fastball. One out to go.

He never gets it.

Manny Ramirez doubles the other way, scoring Boudreau and putting the winning run in scoring position for the Llamas. An intentional walk of Rico Carty later, Kent Hrbek ends the drama with a single into the gap.

An incredibly close series, but the Llamas barely survive to face the Generics in the finals.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

:siren: We will pause the league here for a bit because I'm going away on vacation and won't be back until 2/13. The League 1 and League 2 World Series will be posted on 2/14 and 2/15. The League 1 vs. League 2 final will be posted sometime thereafter.

:siren: As a reminder, I need Gauntlet rosters for those of you in The Gauntlet by 2/15. I'm aiming to get that all finished by 2/22 so we can do an expansion team draft that includes (m)any owners whose teams died in the Gauntlet and want to re-register. Remember: if we end up with > 30 teams, I will cut based on where you died in the Gauntlet so it's to your advantage to compete and get past additional rounds even if your team ends up not surviving.

Have a wonderful week and I'll see you back here on 2/14.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

GG to Mon but I am putting in an official complaint to the whole "omg the zombie llamas were weird/sucked" we crushed the poo poo out our division so bad that even if we played to our pythag said we still would have won the Picard by several games

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

removed later for personal reasons

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 14, 2023

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

removed later for personal reasons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

admin edit: removed some personal info

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 14, 2023

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

admin edit: removed some personal info

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I know how that feels, Llama.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Ginge posted:

By Super-League rule, I'm pretty sure this post means ginge wins the championship.

It may seem unfair, but those are the rules.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Gauntlet Roster

The Haukness Madknights

Home City: Haukness
Home Stadium: Great Tree Stadium
Elevation: 2000 feet above sea level
Open
Natural Grass
Dimensions:
Left Field - 300
Left-Center - 350
Center Field - 400
Right-Center - 375
Right Field - 350
Infield Quality: Excellent
Infield Grass: Very High
Visibility: Excellent
Foul Ground: Small

Sliders:
Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: -5
Squeeze Play: -1
Trying for extra bases: -1
Stealing Bases: 1
Aggressively Tagging Up: 1
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): 2
Giving Intentional Walks: -5
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -3
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -3
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -3
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 1

pre:
C	Mike Piazza	1993	piazzmi01	R
1B	Jason Giambi	1997	giambja01	L
2B	Jose Altuve	2017	altuvjo01	R
3B	Alex Bregman	2017	bregmal01	R
SS	Carlos Correa	2017	correca01	R
LF	Bryce Harper	2013	harpebr03	L
CF	George Springer	2017	springe01	R
RF	Darryl Strawberry	1993	strawda01	L
DH	Mark McGwire	1997	mcgwima01	R

S1	Pedro Martinez	1993	martipe02	R
S2	Christy Mathewson	1901	mathech01	R
S3	Orel Hershiser	1993	hershor01	R
S4	Justin Verlander	2017	verlaju01	R
S5	Stephen Strasburg	2013	strasst01	R

Closer	Ken Giles	2017	gileske01	R
Set-up	Rafael Soriano	2013	soriara01	R
SR	Will Harris	2017	harriwi10	R
SR	Tyler Clippard	2013	clippty01	R
MR	Tyler Clippard	2017	clippty01	R
LR				
	Dave Stieb	1992	stiebda01	R
Bench:				
C	Brian McCann	2017	mccanbr01	L
2B/SS	Marwin Gonzalez	2017	gonzama01	S
3B	Ryan Zimmerman	2013	zimmery01	R
CF	Eric Davis	1993	daviser01	R
RF/LF	Jose Canseco	1997	cansejo01	R
SS	George Davis	1901	davisge01	S

Minors				
RP	Todd Worrell	1993	worreto01	R
RP	Luke Gregerson	2017	gregelu01	R
RP	Chris Devenski	2017	devench02	R
RP	T.J. Mathews	1997	mathet.01	R
P	Gio Gonzalez	2013	gonzagi01	L
P	Dan Haren	2013	harenda01	R
P	Steve Karsay	1997	karsast01	R
CF	George Van Haltren	1901	vanhage01	L
RF	Michael Cuddyer	2014	cuddymi01	R
3B/1B	Dave Magadan	1997	magadda01	L
1B	Yuli Gurriel	2017	gourryu01	R
SS	Jose Offerman	1993	offerjo01	S
2B	Charlie Hickman	1901	hickmch01	R
C	Wilson Ramos	2013	ramoswi01	R
SP	Lance McCullers Jr.	2017	mcculla02	R
2B	Bobby Grich	1978	grichbo01	R
2B	Anthony Rendon	2013	rendoan01	R
Set McCann as the personal catcher for Verlander.

If we are doing the rookie thing for this please do it to Anthony Rendon.

Lineups:

DH Vs RHP
1 Carlos Correa SS
2 Bryce Harper LF
3 George Springer CF
4 Mark McGwire DH
5 Darryl Strawberry RF
6 Alex Bergman 3B
7 Jason Giambi 1B
8 Jose Altuve 2B
9 Mike Piazza C

DH Vs LHP
1 Carlos Correa SS
2 Bryce Harper LF
3 Jason Giambi 1B
4 Mark McGwire DH
5 Jose Canseco RF
6 Alex Bergman 3B
7 George Springer CF
8 Jose Altuve 2B
9 Mike Piazza C

Code:
piazzmi01,1993
giambja01,1997
altuvjo01,2017
bregmal01,2017
correca01,2017
harpebr03,2013
springe01,2017
strawda01,1993
mcgwima01,1997
martipe02,1993
mathech01,1901
hershor01,1993
verlaju01,2017
strasst01,2013
gileske01,2017
soriara01,2013
harriwi10,2017
clippty01,2013
clippty01,2017
stiebda01,1992
mccanbr01,2017
gonzama01,2017
zimmery01,2013
daviser01,1993
cansejo01,1997
davisge01,1901
worreto01,1993
gregelu01,2017
devench02,2017
mathet.01,1997
gonzagi01,2013
harenda01,2013
karsast01,1997
vanhage01,1901
cuddymi01,2014
magadda01,1997
gourryu01,2017
offerjo01,1993
hickmch01,1901
ramoswi01,2013
mcculla02,2017
grichbo01,1978
rendoan01,2013

Pash fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 7, 2023

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

FairGame posted:

:siren: We will pause the league here for a bit because I'm going away on vacation and won't be back until 2/13. The League 1 and League 2 World Series will be posted on 2/14 and 2/15. The League 1 vs. League 2 final will be posted sometime thereafter.

:siren: As a reminder, I need Gauntlet rosters for those of you in The Gauntlet by 2/15. I'm aiming to get that all finished by 2/22 so we can do an expansion team draft that includes (m)any owners whose teams died in the Gauntlet and want to re-register. Remember: if we end up with > 30 teams, I will cut based on where you died in the Gauntlet so it's to your advantage to compete and get past additional rounds even if your team ends up not surviving.

Have a wonderful week and I'll see you back here on 2/14.

Yeah, just kill the Massholes, please. This has been some of the worst weeks of my life, I'm suffering from brain melt while so much stuff is going on around me and my wife is off at a loving vinyl chloride-spewing flaming clusterfuck that could kill her at any moment if the universe deems it so. Just kill them.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Introducing the 21st Century Schizoid Men

Hometown: London, UK
Stadium: Literally whatever Mogul gives you it's a trial league who cares

Roster:

1. SS 2017 Francisco Lindor
2. CF 2009 Carlos Beltran
3. DH 2018 Christian Yelich
4. RF 2010 Nelson Cruz
5. LF 2010 Josh Hamilton
6. C 2004 Ivan Rodriguez
7. 3B 2017 Jose Ramirez
8. 1B 2017 Edwin Encarnacion
9. 2B 2018 Robinson Cano

BENCH
2010 Vladimir Guerrero
2010 Ian Kinsler
2018 Ryan Braun
2004 Carlos Guillen
2017 Carlos Santana

PITCHING:
SP3: 2009 Johan Santana
SP2: 2017 Corey Kluber
SP1: 2004 Brandon Webb
SP4: 2019 Corbin Burnes (ROOKIE AGE-UP FROM 2018)
SP5: 2004 Randy Johnson

CL 2018 Josh Hader
SU 2009 Billy Wagner
SR 2010 Darren O'Day
SR 2006 Huston Street (ROOKIE AGE-UP FROM 2006)
MR 2017 Andrew Miller
MR 2009 Francisco Rodriguez
LR 2010 Cliff Lee

All players not listed are in the minors

CSV:
rodriiv01,2004
ramirjo01,2017
kinslia01,2010
lindofr01,2017
wrighda03,2009
hamiljo03,2010
beltrca01,2009
cruzne02,2010
yelicch01,2018

guerrvl01,2010
brantmi02,2017
braunry02,2018
guillca01,2004
santaca01,2017

santajo01,2009
klubeco01,2017
webbbr01,2004
bauertr01,2017
johnsra05,2004

haderjo01,2018
wagnebi02,2009
odayda01,2010
soriajo01,2018
millean01,2017
rodrifr03,2009
leecl02,2010

carraca01,2017
cainlo01,2018
burneco01,2019
encared01,2017
sheffga01,2009
delgaca01,2009
alomaro01,2004
odayda01,2009
youngdm01,2004
canoro01,2018
streehu01,2006

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers, Future Dispersal Draft Fodder configuration:

Feeders:
1938 Reds
1949 Reds
1975 Rangers
1976 Phillies
1979 Angels

CSV:
code:
lombaer01,1938
davissp01,1938
coopewa01,1949
downibr01,1979
mccorfr01,1938
freylo01,1938
kluszte01,1949
hattogr01,1949
harrato01,1975
allendi01,1976
schmimi01,1976
carewro01,1979
grichbo01,1979
kinerra01,1951
goodmiv01,1938
bergewa01,1938
sauerha01,1949
burroje01,1975
hargrmi01,1975
luzingr01,1976
maddoga01,1976
baylodo01,1979
derripa01,1938
vandejo01,1938
waltebu01,1938
blackew01,1949
jenkife01,1975
bibbyji01,1975
foucast01,1975
richepe01,1968
carltst01,1976
reedro01,1976
mcgratu01,1976
garbege01,1976
twitcwa01,1976
raynno01,1979
tananfr01,1979
clearma01,1980
We are using our rookie age-up on 1979 Mark Clear, making him 1980.

Lineup vs R:

DH Grady Hatton
CF Wally Berger
RF Ival Goodman
LF Ralph Kiner
3B Mike Schmidt
1B Ted Kluszewski
C Ernie Lombardi
SS Lonny Frey
2B Bobby Grich

Lineup vs L:

2B Bobby Grich
LF Wally Berger
1B Dick Allen
DH Ralph Kiner
3B Mike Schmidt
RF Jeff Burroughs
C Walker Cooper
SS Toby Harrah
CF Garry Maddox

Bench:
platoons

Rotation:

Nolan Ryan
Steve Carlton
Paul Derringer
Ewell Blackwell
Fergie Jenkins

Bullpen:

CL Gene Garber
SU Ron Reed
SR Tug McGraw
SR Wayne Twitchell
MR Pete Richert
MR Steve Foucault
LR Jim Bibby

TEAM STRATEGIES:
Hitting
Hit and Run: -2
Squeeze Play: -2

Running
Trying for extra bases: 0
Stealing Bases: -5
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0

Pitching
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -5
Giving Intentional Walks: -4
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 0

Defense

Substitutions
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -3
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -4
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 0

Bullpenning
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: 0
Letting pitchers pitch throw through trouble: 0
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 0

Stadium:

If the random stadium button still exists, please hit it.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Marmoset Gauntlet post!

Stadium: the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome.
26 man Roster
Pos Name Year

C Ivan Rodriguez 2001
1B Rafael Palmeiro 2001
2B Bobby Grich 1976
SS Alex Rodriguez 2001
3B Kyle Seager 2013
LF Chipper Jones 2002
CF Andruw Jones 2002
RF Reggie Jackson 1976
DH/Bench Gary Sheffield 2002
Backup C Javy Lopez 2002
Bench OF Ken Singleton 1976
Bench OF Coco Crisp 2009
Bench IF Michael Young 2001
Bench IF Brooks Robinson 1976

SP1 Greg Maddux 2002
SP2 Tom Glavine 2002
SP3 Zack Greinke 2009
SP4 Jim Palmer 1976
SP5 Felix Hernandez 2013

CL Joakim Soria 2009
SU John Smoltz 2002
SR Jeff Zimmerman 2001
RP Carlos Marmol 2008
MR Chris Hammond 2002
MR Rafael Soriano 2010
LRP Hisashi Iwakuma 2013

Lineup:

# Pos R/L Player
1 SS R Alex Rodriguez
2 RF L Reggie Jackson
3 1B L Rafael Palmeiro
4 DH R Gary Sheffield
5 LF S Chipper Jones
6 C R Ivan Rodriguez
7 2B R Bobby Grich
8 3B L Kyle Seager
9 CF R Andruw Jones

All Sliders at 0 except for:
Giving Intentional Walks: -3
Pitching Around Good Hitters: -3

CSV
rodriiv01,2001
palmera01,2001
grichbo01,1976
rodrial01,2001
seageky01,2013
jonesch06,2002
jonesan01,2002
jacksre01,1976
sheffga01,2002
lopezja01,2002
singlke01,1976
crispco01,2009
youngmi02,2001
robinbr01,1976
maddugr01,2002
glavito02,2002
greinza01,2009
palmeji01,1976
hernafe02,2013
soriajo01,2009
smoltjo01,2002
zimmeje02,2001
cordefr01,2001
hammoch01,2002
martiti01,1976
iwakuhi01,2013
duchsju01,2001
ligteke01,2002
decindo01,1976
butlebi03,2009
ryanbr01,2013
rogerke01,2001
marmoca01,2008
soriara01,2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I am back from vacation and will sim the World Series for both leagues tomorrow (though they'll be posted a day apart).

Gauntlet-bound friends, please get those roster posts in, or lemme know that you're ok with just letting the team die as cbx and armitage have. Setting up a league--even a 4-team one for 40 games--is a bit of work, and I'd just as soon have it done right.

In the meantime, options for World Series teams:

Kensei, your entire rotation is rested. Line up however you see fit.

DannoMack, I'm not quite sure how this happened. Everyone is fully-rested except Don Wilson who needs 2 more days to be on full rest.

kw, You're in the same boat as Danno. Everyone's fully rested except Joe Wood who is 2 days out.

Llama, Kershaw and Viola are ready for Games 1 and 2. Your other 2 starters are 2 and 3 days out.