Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Does anyone know what the speed bonus does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

Little Blue Couch posted:

Does anyone know what the speed bonus does?

When you kill an enemy you get a number that adds to your speed (the green meter in the top left) based on your extraction bonus and an extra number based on your speed bonus. So with speed bonus 5 you'll get like 7+5 speed from killing an enemy.

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

Pour the Fish Fun puzzler where you need to get water to a fish/fishes. gently caress you level 8!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Wet Bandit posted:

Pour the Fish Fun puzzler where you need to get water to a fish/fishes. gently caress you level 8!

This is really good. It took me a second to realize what was going on with level 8 but I beat it on the second try :shobon:.

E: Unless you mean level 9 with the bombs, in which case gently caress that. I got stuck and quit in anger.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

drunken officeparty posted:

E: Unless you mean level 9 with the bombs, in which case gently caress that. I got stuck and quit in anger.

It's not bad if you (minor spoiler) think of a strategy. Specifically (major spoiler) choose a bomb not to explode.

Incidentally, this game is a total ripoff of Where's my Water?.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

buttopticor posted:

And people in the comments are really angry about that.

quote:

Exactly how much of the sprites did you take from Where's My Water?

quote:

I've played this before. It was called "Where's My Water?" Why not try making your OWN game?

quote:

Ah, another clone. 1/5.

No one tell them that Crush the Castle came out before Angry Birds.

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

buttopticor posted:

Oh gently caress me. Was wondering why it seemed so familiar. It's all blurring together man!

Still a nice ripoff time-waster.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

And people in the comments are really angry about that.

If they're actually stealing art, that's something to be legitimately upset about.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Suspicious Dish posted:

If they're actually stealing art, that's something to be legitimately upset about.

I don't think they're stealing any art (as in pictures/music). They copied a number of game mechanics, though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The art isn't even that similar to where's my water, let alone ripped straight from it. That said, having played both, it does seems like where's my water but with much less polish.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those of you that bought Defender's Quest from a while back, it got updated to Gold recently, which it will auto-upgrade to if you have it. The blog lists what's new:

quote:

-Amazing New Graphics
-New Game+ mode
(huge update, doubles the game's content)
-7 bonus battle maps,
(each has a New Game+ variant, so 14 bonus challenges total)
-7 new sidequests, with new story and new battles
-Crazy new enemy types
-New boss battles
-Upgradeable loot with special powers
-Magic books for Azra that change the rules of battle
-2 new music tracks
-New advanced targeting system
-Better auto-update security
-MOD SUPPORT!!!
-Loads of bugfixes
-Tons of balance tweaks

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Herm the Germ Fun little platformer where you multiply by hitting red blood cells. Mostly easy with a few levels that made me want to poo poo my pants in anger.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^That was was OK for a short little game. Feels like a mechanic that's been used a lot... but I can't think of any.

As a fan of Burrito Bison I liked Knightmare Tower a lot. Not sure if I like it more, yet, but it does seem quicker-paced for the most part. Really peaked at the achievement length, though, can't imagine how you'd get much further.

Oh yeah, wanted to mention that another Nonosparks game, Nonosparks: The Ark, was just released.

Edit: I was wrong, it has kind of an in-between system between Nintendo and "free" mode where if the squares are in the right spot and it is "separated" (near the edge or if it has to be a certain number) it will gray out the number. Which is pretty cool, although I somehow accidentally had 1 extra square somehow in one of the later ones and all the numbers were crossed out which was kind of confusing for a bit. I finished it; it did seem rather short, and the music didn't change between installments (though I kind of like the music), but it was fun.

Doom Goon has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Sep 4, 2012

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

ClickPLAY Quickfire 3 The "do things" ones are fun, but gently caress all the ones that try to be clever. They are impossible.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Just edited my Nonosparks: The Ark post above, but I also wanted to ask for advice on the last puzzle:
Spoiler link.

Is there anyway at all to do a next step without using contradictions?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Doom Goon posted:

Just edited my Nonosparks: The Ark post above, but I also wanted to ask for advice on the last puzzle:
Spoiler link.

It'd be helpful at this point to use the knowledge that it must be a picture to your advantage. The boxes will usually connect into a coherent shape, so you have an idea of where the boxes should go even if you can't deduce where using the numbers alone. It's not quite as satisfying as pure brain work, but it gets the puzzle solved.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

Not as far as I can tell, but it's a pretty easy one:

Assume the bottom-left square is filled in, completing the 3.
That'll mean (1,12) is Xed out.
That'll mean (3,12) is coloured in because it's the only empty space left on that row.
That'll mean (3,13), (3,14), and (3,15) are Xed out, because the third column's bottom end is complete.
That'll mean (4,13) and (4,14) must be colored in, since they're the only squares left on their rows...
... but that creates 2 adjacent squares, which is a contradiction with column 4.
The bottom-left square's an X.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Doom Goon posted:

Spoiler link.

Yes, there is. Look at the 2x2 block of unsolved cells near the bottom left corner. By looking at the row clues, you can see that exactly 2 of the 4 cells should be filled in; by looking at the clues for the right column, you can see that exactly 1 of the 2 cells on the right should be filled in. Then 1 of the 2 cells on the left should be filled in, which tells you that the 1-block in that column is in the bottom half, not the top half.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Half of these seem like they are impossible to make a first move without looking at a walkthrough or guessing, and the other half end up impossible halfway through.

Rot Gut Shooty playformer that is oddly hard for me. It has some sort of noir detective thing going on, but I just skipped the cutscenes.

drunken officeparty has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Sep 5, 2012

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^No, that's the only one I couldn't figure out logically using simple established techniques (this was the only one I solved using contradictions so I thought I'd ask to see if there was another way). If you have a question on one of them I could probably help out, or, obviously, someone else, though I don't want to turn this into the Nonograms thread. The game unfortunately erases it's data after you beat it. I just happened to have a screenshot available of the final one.

Tau Wedel posted:

Yes, there is. Look at the 2x2 block of unsolved cells near the bottom left corner. By looking at the row clues, you can see that exactly 2 of the 4 cells should be filled in; by looking at the clues for the right column, you can see that exactly 1 of the 2 cells on the right should be filled in. Then 1 of the 2 cells on the left should be filled in, which tells you that the 1-block in that column is in the bottom half, not the top half.
Ah, right, it HAS to be a diagonal in that 2x2 block. Thanks! I've never used that technique before. It has to be either:

The 2 has to fit in the bottom part. It can't be part of the mark that's already there at the bottom left (above the 2x2 square) because it would leave both 2 on the left blank. It can't be one below that (and by extension one below that, creating a 1, a blank, and a 2) because it would leave both 2 on the right blank. Therefore the 2 has to fit in the bottom left of the 2x2 square (and the open square below it), and then you can go from there.

...Of course, it becomes obvious right after this that this puzzle has more than one solution :eng99:. I went ahead and verified it:
Solution 1 (the "correct" one)
Solution 2 :downs:

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

Cloudstone Nice dungeon crawler/RPGer. Haven't gotten to far in it but seems pretty fun.

If I don't get to bent over from work tomorrow I'll be fixing a lot of stuff.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Wet Bandit posted:

Cloudstone Nice dungeon crawler/RPGer. Haven't gotten to far in it but seems pretty fun.

This game is pretty fun, the only drawback though is the energy system, where if you run out of energy you must stop playing, pay for rubies, or add a bunch of allies.

Add me, my name is growbups and I will add you back for those precious precious rubies.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Why are you all bad at picross

I didn't do any guessing or that contradiction thing or anything until literally the last four squares of the game. I always hate when a picross game leaves you with like half a dozen 1s and no real way to pick which is which except to guess.

But aside from that every one of those was 100% solvable without guessing. Some of them were a bit more of a pain in the rear end, sure, but... yeah.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Knigtmare Tower was great fun until I'd finished all of the quests and still had 2 upgrade slots in everything to unlock, and didn't get nearly enough money from each run for me to bother.

Also, I groaned once I saw what was past the locked gate. You meet the last boss, which is a loving rage face in a tower-climbing tank. Yes, you have to kill a rage face to finish the game..

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Some of them were a bit more of a pain in the rear end, sure, but... yeah.

They're the best ones.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Childers B. Lace posted:

This game is pretty fun, the only drawback though is the energy system, where if you run out of energy you must stop playing, pay for rubies, or add a bunch of allies.

Add me, my name is growbups and I will add you back for those precious precious rubies.

Yeah, I agree; the Mafia Wars "you gotta have energy to do stuff, BUY ENERGY" system blows. BrickWall4's my username, add me peeps.

e:also the game doesn't pause when you are at a loading screen and click away. I just lost 4 energy because of that :saddowns:

PenguinKnight has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Sep 9, 2012

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Planet Juicer is an excellent little tower defense game in the same vein as Plants vs. Zombies. The only problem is that it's too drat short.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PenguinKnight posted:

Yeah, I agree; the Mafia Wars "you gotta have energy to do stuff, BUY ENERGY" system blows. BrickWall4's my username, add me peeps.

e:also the game doesn't pause when you are at a loading screen and click away. I just lost 4 energy because of that :saddowns:

I guess next week they're losing the energy system except for PvP so it will be less like Zynga and more like a fun game.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

syscall girl posted:

I guess next week they're losing the energy system except for PvP so it will be less like Zynga and more like a fun game.

Yeah I saw this today! Too bad you still need energy to PvP. I am 2/0 by the way :smug:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Childers B. Lace posted:

Yeah I saw this today! Too bad you still need energy to PvP. I am 2/0 by the way :smug:

The PvP isn't actual PvP, right? You're just fighting an AI version of someone else's character? If it's true PvP, that's...pretty sad considering how little resistance I've been getting. I think I'm 4-0.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

6-0, it's absolutely just a lousy AI playing others' characters. Also I added the two of you that posted usernames, if anyone else wants to add me, I'm gshort, I think.

e: Okay, yeah, this energy poo poo is totally ridiculous.

Bad Munki has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Sep 10, 2012

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms

M. Propagandalf posted:

For those of you that bought Defender's Quest from a while back, it got updated to Gold recently, which it will auto-upgrade to if you have it. The blog lists what's new:

After beating the game the first time around and getting all of the Gold stars, I just got the update and I see that I'll be spending another 10 hours or so on it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The energy doesn't bother me so much because I only find myself wanting to play it for like 10-15 minutes at a time anyway, but I can see how it would piss people off.

I remember hearing that the energy systems in games like this, in addition to being ways to get people to pay more money, also exist to limit server strain. That's the reason Kingdom of Loathing has it (and, at least last I checked, it doesn't allow you to buy more).

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

The PvP isn't actual PvP, right? You're just fighting an AI version of someone else's character? If it's true PvP, that's...pretty sad considering how little resistance I've been getting. I think I'm 4-0.

Well considering that the 0 is the number of times I've lost and the 2 is the number of times I have won, divide that by the smug face and that's...sarcasm.

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

Working on Badges/Medals/Crap

Working on stuff. Having a blog is odd for me. To many ways to make stuff happen.

Oh! Any other sites you achievement whores want listed, let me know :) . Surprised Nitrome and Armor don't have something.

Back to the "flash mine" ...

ed: Pending on NG, I'll hook up descriptions next. HATE having things hanging over my OCD heh...

Wet Bandit has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Sep 14, 2012

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

Badges post. Still have to reorganize it but the groundwork is done.

Newgrounds will be looking into making a search for medals by genre so I'll hold off on that for a bit. Badges wise there's no doubt duplicates and stuff that shouldn't be in certain spots so PLEASE let me know so I can fix. (The Kong system is odd)

Still need to fix that one in Puzzles that someone reported a while ago (sorry!)

Closure Already on the list but was playing that while making last post. Good times.

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Blog's lookin good man, really useful, been workin my way through the puzzle games. Just one small point, all your links seem to have a " after them so they don't work.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wet Bandit posted:

For anyone's who's interested, they've finally removed the need for energy for non-PVP missions, as well as upped the amount of exp and gold you get for killing stuff and some other changes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

For anyone's who's interested, they've finally removed the need for energy for non-PVP missions, as well as upped the amount of exp and gold you get for killing stuff and some other changes.

quote:

- Leveling curve past 28 rebalanced, should be smoother now.

That's all I needed to hear. poo poo was ridiculous before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

phnuggle posted:

Blog's lookin good man, really useful, been workin my way through the puzzle games. Just one small point, all your links seem to have a " after them so they don't work.

Thanks for that, and to the several other million people that posted/pmed/air mailed errors.

VERY much appreciate that. Beyond than thanks.

Next time I type something in here needs to be some links, which I'm working on ;)...

• Locked thread