Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Welp, at least I get a new avatar I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Chairchucker posted:

Welp, at least I get a new avatar I guess.

NUH UHH!!!!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Poor Chairchucker :smith:

I was really pissing in the pool with this last entry. I want a loser avatar.

Kill meeeeee

edit: I will say this week did give me a true and meaningful appreciation of Gary Numan and the life and times of said Numan. Which is a kind of victory in and of itself.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
You were on thin ice, kiddo, believe me. Bottom three for sure.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Martello posted:

"Nyarai, come forth and take the staff. This is Thunderdome. We have spoken."

My movements are jerky as I mutter, "You honor me, oh Great One." Staff gripped in my fist, I raise it high above my head and bellow, "Thunderdome!"

(Woo! Really wasn't expecting that. What would be the best way to get my idea to you guys? Once I come up with one, that is. :v:)

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
I'm going to have to step my game up, I want to throw down some bastardly prompts SO BAD YOU GUYS DON'T EVEN KNOW.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Nyarai, post yer email of choice, and I'll send you one when I see it. Then you can delete it if you don't want it up.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Next time I will start writing more than three hours before the deadline.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Sitting Here posted:

Poor Chairchucker :smith:

I was really pissing in the pool with this last entry. I want a loser avatar.

Kill meeeeee

You should've dissed Goosebumps before you start your story. That is like minus 20+99i points, so you're hosed in several dimensions.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Martello posted:

Sister Surprise

by Chairchucker

Your lack of understanding of pretty much anything ever in all time and all the world counts against you right off the bat. Just so you know.

Comprehensive list of things from this thread with which I was not familiar:

The music of Gary Numan.
The books of R.L. Stine.

Martello posted:

Another story where I have no loving clue what's going on. It's another post-apocalyptic setting, I believe, which automatically makes me like it better, but you're not making good use of it. The "creatures" are a very weak plot device at best, a meaningless distraction at worse.

Yeah, probably should've just ignored the mention of Monster Blood. I just kind of shoehorned that in afterwards. :/

Martello posted:

What's up with this Gladys broad and her nun habit? I don't get it.

Your lack of understanding of pretty much anything ever in all time and all the world counts against you right off the bat. Just so you know.

Martello posted:

This could maybe be good but it isn't right now. It just cuts off, there's no ending. Not in a good way.

Also, I don't see the Monster Blood except that the "creatures" have green blood or summat. And where's the "trapped" part? Not seeing it.

Overall: Bridgefield Peperoni

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
nyaraizen [at] gmail [dot] com

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Got it. I'll send you an email shortly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Man, I was worried as poo poo I'd lose this. 16 hour shifts don't leave much time for writing, but lots of time for diner with internationally acclaimed comic artist. I discussed vodka infusion with Jill Thompson, so I'm pretty happy anyway.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Seriously? How the gently caress did you pull that off? Jill Thompson is awesome.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Martello posted:

Gunfarm

by Capntastic

What's up with capitalizing all the naughty big-boy words?

I like the line "like a beehive hosed a boombox" but I have no idea what it means. What kind of rocket launcher is this supposed to be? Post a photo immediately.

I also like the cool post-apocalyptic or at least dystopian warscape. The idea of Gunfarm is awesome, and the wandering road gangs or whatever coming in to order a nice technical or get their gun oiled up or whatever. But holy poo poo, Bitcoins? Seriously? C'mon dude. How the gently caress are Bitcoins still gonna be around in a dystopian world? I want more, without the capitalized swear words and cocksucking Buttcoins. It's like you had a great idea and then just executed it badly because you suck.

If you'll allow me to decompress my though processes, the idea of Gunfarm sort of came about from being a neighboring area to the place described in the song. Describing people as 'randoms' and similar made me think of gang affiliations and non-affiliated people. The line "And the young boys singing softly. Do they ever come back?" was what set me trying to visualize a slightly better place for people to go, and better, to me, meant safety, which meant Gunfarm.

As for the cusses and swears being capitalized, I'd originally expanded on the idea of the graffiti ringing Gunfarm and that, to these barely literate folk, swears and cusses were invoking some major stuff. So, to them, they are worth capitalizing.

Rocket launcher was based off of one of these:

Not that I'm trying to pull excuses, but for this one (as I mentioned on my website, where I've been archiving my entries) I hit the word count too easily. The core of the story would be too vague if I cut it down more, I think.

Also, the bitcoins jab was a veiled meta-reference to this bullshit from last month: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499299

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Okay, that makes more sense now. And that's a pretty insane rocket launcher thing. So they were building a truck MLRS. Maybe they'd still call it a technical, but we wouldn't.

I still think the capitalized swear words have to go, though. They really break up the pace of the story. If you feel inspired, make a separate thread for a more fleshed-out version of this and I'll give you more feedback. Can't get enough post-apocalyptic.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Martello posted:

Seriously? How the gently caress did you pull that off? Jill Thompson is awesome.

Worked at a Norwegian comics convention. Meeting people like Jill Thompson, Giorgio Cavazzano and Joe Jusko justify having to deal with the weirdest loving fans. The best part is that you can have a real conversation with most of the artists, because they know you're just as tired and trying to be just as professional as they are. In the break room, we're all equal.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Martello posted:

The Ballad of Puree Tomateaux

by budgieinspector

Finish the goddam story and post it here!

Okay: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506066

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
So the comments seem pretty positive but I looked up headcheese and it looks foul. What's the deal, yo?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
You don't have an in-depth understanding of my charcuterie tastes? Shame on you. :colbert:

I love headcheese, even though it looks loving crazy and tastes kinda weird. There's always a method to my madness for these things.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
The Thunderdome calls me from a Z-drug induced slumber. Will I remember this in the morning? No matter. Get these damned haunts out of my head, calling me, calling me. kangaroojunk's kung-fu beats itself out of the corner into the running up. Fanky Malloons' bull bellows, but tails off into a groan. It is certainly metal, sound of mental. Wrageowrapper's words sliver over my eyes like worms, worming into my skill. Skill? Good second person. The You calls to action, but what are we to do with sentient glass? It is a monster you have created. What have you done? Shythesizers wail in the background. Nuuu Nuuu Numan Nuuu nuuu nu …

Benagain What did you do again?

swaziloo You too. You are not one of the voices.

SurreptitiousMuffin is guffin. Piggy piggy pig get out of my head. It's you in there, squirming around with Wrageowrapper while getting punked in the kangaroojunk. Y Kant Ozma Post? Why not? I never understood the question. It eats at me. Why is boy killing ducks? Nooo, it is not nice story, but good story.

Chairchucker you motherfucker. Why did you do it again?

Capntastic not so tastic. Droney conversational tone. Read out loud. No flow, my eyes slide off and sizzle like two eggs on the computer screen. It burns.

Sitting Here in the dark with nothing to do is a terrible way to be. There's no story there. What's going on? sebmojo where's your mojo? On a walkabout while you churn out words? Why Halo? Why the game Halo for Halo? Lazy association word game thing like "Sister Surprise." Ha! I get it. Frownyface.

Baudolino bombing Dresdon. Kurt Vonnegut was down there, YOU MONSTER.

Seldom Post the Sound is not loud enough to penetrate my dreamy haze, buried so deep in a mountain. I feel nothing but for the burnt man vividly described. He is so alive before dead.

Nyarai Get out. Get Out! GET OUT! Get out of my head you fucker. I said I was done with you, but he never killed the cat, I give him that much. I got out of that box before it ever got that bad. Go to your mother, you twit! Sorry, Can't be objective about this one. It burns.

TequilaJesus Down in the park where the Machmen meet the machines playing kill by numbers, this story didn't rise far from the song.

HiddenGecko Why would a gelatiny bob be scared of a child? You never explain and it hurts me man, it really does, cause me and this story had something here, but it wasn't really going anywhere.

budgieinspector Is unfinished, but not no more. Will check later.

Noah Creepy, and want to know more.

Dr. Kloctopussy Most enjoyed. Almost one. Won. Will discuss more later when I'm not free-associating with garbled dreams. Stop clamoring for attention. You all get your turn. Why you all wake me up to do this?

Black Griffon Anticlimax. Subway automatons good. Must get back to bed before I crash. Out all of you! Out of my head. Aunty need beddy-bye, shut eye, shut up.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Stuporstar posted:

Benagain What did you do again?

Story of my life right here.

kangaroojunk
Aug 17, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In response to Martello,

From the deepest, darkest jungles live my people. My people are savages and eat thusly:

Right foot on the floor. Left foot on the chair seat, left elbow on the knee, forearm dangling like it doesn't give a poo poo. Right hand grabs food, stuffs into mouth.

Two sticks to put food into one's mouth? If the gods wanted my people to do that, we would have wooden prongs where hands are. Tools are found, not made. A triceratops bone is club, a fish bone is a toothpick. Eating is a natural process. Does man need assistance from an invented tool to defecate on the land of his enemies? Bah, chopsticks.

Nothing against any other martial arts. Styles that emphasize kicking do not suit me.

I actually do really like Goju Ryu Karate. It is a close in, hard style. The "elbow, backfist, strike" of the story is in reference to a karate form, gekisai dai ichi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKLX3tZN1JQ, seconds 14-15. The "strike" part is actually a block, but it was changed for the story. Form and movement without knowledge of their application is just dance. The two knife fighting is Arnis, if anyone cares.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Damnit! I forgot about the Goju Ryu. :cripes:

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hmm I was afraid my story would be filled by various errors. Never bothered to learn the rules about how and when you should use commas. Looks like I am going to spend some time relearning poo poo that I should have mastered when I was 10.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
:siren:Welcome to Week Six: It Rhymes with Dicks.:siren:

All-righty you schlubs. The other judges have bent my arm enough that I will actually stomach this prompt. Just know that I hate each and every one of you, and you're all a disappointment to your families.

Judges: Myself, Stuporstar, and Nyarai

Sign-up Deadline: 10:00PM US Eastern Time on Wed, Sep. 12.
Submission Deadline: 10:00PM US ET on Fri, Sep. 14.
Word Count: < 1000 Words.

Prompt: A supernatural story that revolves around an exchange.
Rules: No passive-aggressive and/or brooding protagonists. No fanfics.

May God have mercy on my eyes for the next 30k words I'm going to have to read in this thread.

Sign-up List:

Black Griffon
Y Kant Ozma Post
Benagain
Canadian Surf Club
Sitting Here
HiddenGecko
Noah
Radioactive Bears
Fanky Malloons
Capntastic
Groghammer
Wrageowrapper
As Nero Danced
Dr. Kloctopussy
Jonked
The Saddest Rhino
MadRhetoric
Bad Seafood
TequilaJesus
Baudolino
bigmcgaffney
kangaroojunk
SurreptitiousMuffin
Jimson
Sleekly
Chairchucker
Brock Broner

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm stepping down for the next four-five weeks due to ARMY TRAINING :mil101: at Ft. Irwin, CA. If I can successfully smuggle my OPSEC-violating intelligent telephone out into the box I'll be checking progress and posting here and there. I think I might have to put it in my butt and I don't know that it will fit. :goatsecx:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

So loving in. I have a feeling this week will be hilarious.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'm in.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'll throw down on this.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Martello posted:

I'm stepping down for the next four-five weeks due to ARMY TRAINING :mil101: at Ft. Irwin, CA. If I can successfully smuggle my OPSEC-violating intelligent telephone out into the box I'll be checking progress and posting here and there. I think I might have to put it in my butt and I don't know that it will fit. :goatsecx:

At least your hardware will aesthetically match your posts.

HiddenGecko
Apr 15, 2007

You think I'm really going
to read this shit?
In, bitches.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Ozma's got the bug. :dance:

I'm not offically entering yet because I'm switching between cities a few time this week and I'm not sure where the internet is working. I'll know by the 12th. I'd like to.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

one of us one of us one of us

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm in. I don't remember life before Thunderdome and I don't want to start now. It's so cold beyond the arena of blood-spattered stone and sand.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In on this, gonna set some kind of record for number of times lost in the Thunderdome.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Ozma's got the bug. :dance:

Horror/supernatural stories are Ozma Catnip

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Hey I'm in

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I even know what I'm gonna write already and it's going to blow some loving minds let me tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
:siren:SUPERNATURAL POP QUIZ:siren:

The points don't matter, but then again, you don't either. We'll be dropping the Q's and you'll be giving the A's in this round of Super-Spooky Supernaturality. Just press your buzzer (the reply button for those of you a little slow on the go) and state your answer. Those who know faster than the others get more e-cred, 'cause I know all you dummies are going to be hitting Google faster than a Chinese censor.

But wait, there's a little more. You can't just give your answer. That's boring. You have to give your answer and tell us a little about it. Just a little blurb about your answer noting something quite interesting about it (This is totally not QI reference. Trust me. Would a Thunderdome judge lie to you?).

So let's get down to business:

1) Made of smokeless fire, this type of being is notably met by a man on a journey to find the herb of immortality in a well known piece of literature. The journey takes him from paradise to hell, through the sea, and even to other worlds. What creature is this?

2) Tell me about this bird that's quite fond of liver. It's most famous for punishing a thief.

3) This German film is iconic and a staple of horror film culture, yet it was actually an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Let's hear about it.