Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Martello posted:

I don't watch Star Trek so I had no idea.

:saddowns:

Ha ha, really? It's basically the famous Chain of Command, Pt. 2 episode, but changed to be about potatoes. And I did have to look up the episode name, I am not that huge of a Trekkie (or Trekker as they prefer to be called.) Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_of_Command_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

It's a fix, is what it is.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Chain of Command is a seriously good episode and I couldn't help but imagine Patrick Stewart snarfing down lunch meat and screaming at his mom's ghost.

...poo poo, I have a thing for insane creepy french guys

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Never watched Star Trek either but there was no missing the 1984 reference, and I can probably safely say I will never have the privilege of reading Orwellian potato fiction again, which is a shame.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Well I could explain what I think of as the actual "plot" of it, but I feel like that would kind of ruin the effect. I wanted the potatoes to be a mix of vaguely Lovecraftian, Orwellian, and just kind of absurd. I wouldn't say it's a parody, I just couldn't think of a better way to end it and that popped into my head.

Martello please don't be disappointed :ohdear:

As for the Pink Floyd line, I wasn't sure if I was intending to write a good story or a bad story and I wanted the potatoes/mom to say something about meat and I thought why not? I was thinking about a random phrase that might pop into someone's head if that person had a history of meat as a contentious issue between they and their mother, and further, if they were at that moment being painfully assaulted by extrademinsional potato beings(?).

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Don't show weakness! The judges can smell fear. THIS IS THUNDERDOME!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Yes. I DO smell your fear.

:twisted:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Well actually if you re-read my submission you'll notice a certain similarity to an episode from a little show called Stargate SG-1...

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I must redeem myself for making an altogether way-too-serious/over the top entry in the first skirmish! What's the next prompt?

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
Listen all.
This is the truth of it... writing leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. That was drat near the death of us all. Look at us now - busted up, and everyone talking about SlothMaster. But we've learned by the dust of them all... CC learned. Now, when men get to writing, it happens here. And it finishes here.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
The Next Prompt Is.........

Pending til Martello gets online

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just write. Take up your pen, the ink, the typewriter, and the whole cabin, and I'll spare your lives. Just write and we'll give you a safe passageway and a free copy of The Waste Land. Just write and there will be an end to the horror.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:siren: HORRIBLE TERRIBLE SHAMEFUL CUSTOM TITLES INBOUND FOR HORRIBLE TERRIBLE SHAMEFUL POSTERS :siren:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
The new Triumvirate is convening.

New prompts and deadline will be published tonight.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

pipes! posted:

:siren: HORRIBLE TERRIBLE SHAMEFUL CUSTOM TITLES INBOUND FOR HORRIBLE TERRIBLE SHAMEFUL POSTERS :siren:

Everyone don't forget to thank pipes! for being a great sport and hosting this running contest (and facilitating the assignment of awesome avatars) instead of banning us all in disgust.

Also thank Stuporstar for all the work she put into making funny and sexy avatars for you punks.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Thunderdome Week II

:siren: The New Triumvirate has convened. :siren:

Stuporstar, myself, and the Initiate Sitting Here have come to our decision. :moreevil:

This week's prompt is "Dystopian Chick-Lit." ;-*

For extra points (or maybe not, cuz Thunderdome) you can also add in "Randian Superman protagonist". :rolldice:

Word-oval office is ~500 words. Cry about it. :smaug:

Deadline for submissions is 17 2130 EST AUG 2012. Deadline for signup is 15 2130 EST AUG 2012.:dealwithit:

If you can't parse the deadline, too loving bad. PM a GiP poster (:mil101:) or look it up or I don't give a tiara-wearing gently caress. If you're smart enough to figure out that it's a day shorter than last week, that's cuz the Triumvirate chose to take our sweet time deciding what to make you pigtailed schoolgirls write for us. The first complaint will be an automatic DQ. :commissar:

If they wish to fight today, then let them come like men. - Bohemund I of Antioch :hist101:

Contestants, submissions hotlinked:
Black Griffon
SC Bracer
Hidden Gecko
Boob Marley
Bad Seafood
Wrageowrapper
areyoucontagious
Jonked
BirdOfPlay
Capntastic
Found Sound (oooh you made the deadline just like everyone else this time, why don't you take the rest of the day off?)
budgieinspector
Fanky Malloons
Tempura Wizard
Dr. Kloctopussy
Autumncomet
slothmonster (finally)
Canadian Surf Club
sebmojo
Noah
Nautatrol Rx
T-Bone
SurreptitiousMuffin
Honey Badger
bigmcgaffney
Bodnoirbabe

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

God drat it you loving weirdos. This will be very interesting.

Are you having a time limit for signups, like someone suggested earlier in the thread?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
There's a time limit in there. Are you blind?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm in again. Something about this Thunderdome keeps pulling me back in, and I can't quite look away.

HiddenGecko
Apr 15, 2007

You think I'm really going
to read this shit?
I'm in. For the blood. :unsmigghh:

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
Cool, I love Thunderstorm.
I'll be playing too.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I'm in, even if it means I'll probably get a new avatar (and not in the good way)

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
We should get bonus points for getting in on the first day. Early bird special.

Also I'm in. Gonna write a story about menopause in a fallout shelter.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Jonked posted:

We should get bonus points for getting in on the first day. Early bird special.

Also I'm in. Gonna write a story about menopause in a fallout shelter.

-5 points for asking for bonus points.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Martello posted:

-5 points for asking for bonus points.
Nautatrol Rx's avatar is better

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Count me in again.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Bloodtime. I'm in.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Let's do this. ;-*

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I will alter my score for any story that includes an Ayn Rand-esque Superman character or espouses the superiority of objectivist thought. How will I alter it? That's for me to know and you to agonize over until the hour of your forthcoming doom.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Found Sound posted:

Let's do this. ;-*

The optimism/avatar combo is magical.

I'm down for the ruckus.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
Quietly, quickly, cooly, Cody disappeared beneath the black water of the spring that once babbled and tinkled down the rocky, barren ravine that lay behind us. It was all behind us really. The war. The winter. We were left now with the tedious task of survival. Survival in this... The X Zone.

My heart stopped as I stepped into the water. It was bitter cold and emitted the stuff of nausea. Less a pool and more a bouibasse of garbage and decay. I could make out the image a baby doll submerged in the shallows just off the bank, held down in the sand against her will by other rotting and twisted remants of lives long passed. The last rays of the red sun flickered across the water's surface and the doll looked up at me with its dead eyes, pleading. Sorry sister. I just blinked and trudged on, following Cody's lead. As always.

He said he had been this way before, that there was an underwater tunnel leading to a cavern, and that we'd be safe. We seldom spoke - me because I lacked the strength, and Cody because he didn't waste time - so when he opened his mouth I listened. I listened, and I trusted him. I had trusted him since the moment we met, months ago, but there was something I was keeping from him. A burden too heavy for him to carry, even on those broad shoulders of his. I carried it alone, in silence, in secret. Even though it was his too...

The water was to my shoulders now and I was face to face with the reality of submerging into this pool of foul, dark water. I knew the smell of human blood well, and had learned to ignore it without second thought. I offered my dignity up as a sacrifice to the cruel necessity of survival, breathed in deeply and braced my nerves for the descent.

Just then lightning cracked behind me. I spun around and saw the sky lit up beneath her mane of gray clouds. I exhaled and turned back around, jarred suddenly by the pair of eyes staring into my own. Cody had resurfaced. He breathed something hastily, probably "c'mon", and his expression betrayed concern. He paid no attention to the sky, to the sound of thunder as it began to stur and rumble behind me. He grabbed my hand and returned to the cold depths, pulling me with him.

We swam down until I could see the mouth of a concrete pipe. Just big enough for an adult to slip through. Cody held back and let me go in first. I clawed at the smooth concrete walls of the pipe, dragging myself forward. I could make out light trickling dimly into the water just a few body lengths ahead. I found myself in a pool much shallower than the one at the entrace. As soon as I cleared the pipe I was able to stand up in knee-deep water.

The cavern entrance was a small den. A flashlight, Cody's, was sitting in a crevice at the far wall illumating mattresses and tarps along the muddy bank. I saw what appeared to be a blanket floating just at the waterline, wafting in the current created by my emergence. As I walked closer ashore I noticed frills. It wasn't a blanket. It was a dress.

Then my eyes caught another, this one tattered, partially stuffed beneath a mattress. Then another. My head began to swim and I lost my balance for a moment.

Behind me I could hear droplets of water hitting the surface, slowly and in no great quantity, as if Cody was just standing there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm in.

I have tasted death, and found it a terrible thing to grow fond of.

EDIT: That Pipes! is one superdude.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
This contest seems suddenly 1/3 less awesome and I can't pin down why.

P.S. Say thank you to pipes! you bastards.

I'll start:

Thank you pipes! for being the best mod and helping to make this fun thread happen.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Thank you Pipes you bastard

I'm in once more. I might be developing Stockholm syndrome.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
In. Got a great idea. Post-apocalypse counts as dystopian, right?

and thank you pipes! Your name is hard to use in sentences but you make it worth writing.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
All hail Pipes!!

In on this. Though chick lit is basically already distopian.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
I like you, pipes!.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Thank you pipes! for handing me babby's first red title. A milestone in my posting career~ :unsmith:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks Pipes!, the avatar are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
pipes! rules, Thunderdome rules. I'm in.

Never read chick-lit of any kind, so this is going to be interesting.