Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«86 »
HiddenGecko
Apr 15, 2007

You think I'm really going
to read this shit?

Strange Highlights this week

- Two stories were set on Europa and submitted back to back.
- Two stories took place in amusement parks on the moon.

Lines that stuck out

"an animalistic expulsion of all his rage over the mic as Waverly turned the rover on"
Areyoucontagious
Perfidy

"But one was left behind. He was late for the arc, as he was stuck in the bathroom. Because he was having a wank."
Wrageowrapper
Master Bataar

"Darryl would get Cassandra, all of Randy’s Bitcoins and the moon would be all theirs."
Zack_Gochuck
Moontopia

"but I can taste the smoke and peat, the far away soil from which it came—and underneath, the hands that worked that soil." For the worst way to describe liquor ever.
Seldom Posts
New World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Martello posted:

I didn't realize I had to break things down to kindergarten level just so the contestants can wrap their tiny shriveled brains around a simple concept.

I'll try again.

Fucksticks, this week the prompt is to write a not-awful loving story that involves Gary Numan's goddamn life, motherfucking lifestyle, the themes and structure of his cuntlicking music, or based on one of his cocksucking songs specifically. Except the loving song "Cars." You can't write about that one, at all, because all of you filthy cunts have heard it so it makes it too loving easy. IN ADDITION to but not DIRECTLY RELATED to Gary Numan, you must also write the lovely loving story about being trapped, somewhere. It doesn't have to be a specific physical place, but it can be. It could be a space station, a 50-gallon drum being slowly filled with gasoline, the protagonist's head, another character's head, or whatever stupid bullshit thing you want the character to be trapped in. Have fun writing the goddamn story, you miserable loving bloodrags.

Is that loving clear enough now?

There you go. That's the Martello we all admire. Was beginning to think that week off made you soft.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Martello posted:

I didn't realize I had to break things down to kindergarten level just so the contestants can wrap their tiny shriveled brains around a simple concept.

I'll try again.

Fucksticks, this week the prompt is to write a not-awful loving story that involves Gary Numan's goddamn life, motherfucking lifestyle, the themes and structure of his cuntlicking music, or based on one of his cocksucking songs specifically. Except the loving song "Cars." You can't write about that one, at all, because all of you filthy cunts have heard it so it makes it too loving easy. IN ADDITION to but not DIRECTLY RELATED to Gary Numan, you must also write the lovely loving story about being trapped, somewhere. It doesn't have to be a specific physical place, but it can be. It could be a space station, a 50-gallon drum being slowly filled with gasoline, the protagonist's head, another character's head, or whatever stupid bullshit thing you want the character to be trapped in. Have fun writing the goddamn story, you miserable loving bloodrags.

Is that loving clear enough now?

Balls balls balls ball--*pauses carefully to consider the next letter, weighing each in his mind for the artisting value*... Piss.

toanoradian
May 30, 2011

The happiest waffligator

If you write about something being trapped in Gary Numan, you're gross. Bonus points from me if you're scientifically accurate though. Be careful, I literally know everything about Gary Numan's left sciatic nerve.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

I got it wrong. Look, I'm well aware I got it wrong and uh, I got it wrong.

For about five seconds, I thought we were talking about Randy Newman. I was not happy with that at all.

e: in and dibs on The Dream Police.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The biggest problems being an (admittedly) terrible last line and some sloppy construction is something I'll take as a pretty good result.

I'll be back. But not this week, no time.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Watched Bill Bailey lately?

I'm in.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

For about five seconds, I thought we were talking about Randy Newman. I was not happy with that at all.

e: in and dibs on The Dream Police.

That's Cheap Trick. I don't give a goddamn how cool The Stranglers or The Clash or whoever are. Band substitutes will not be permitted. This is the motherfucking Gary Numan challenge, not the general 80s synthpop/New Wave challenge.

Edit: So, I decided to kick back and listen to Tubeway Army because I haven't heard it in ages, except for putting "Jo the Waiter" on all my playlists, and there staring me right in the loving face is "The Dream Police." Bonus 10 points (or banana, or whatever we're scoring with this week) to SurreptitiousMuffin for me thinking of Cheap Trick, officially making you cooler than me. You all have permission to point and laugh for the next page or so.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

I thought we were talking about Randy Newman

I smell weakness. It smells like fresh-baked baklava.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

loving in this bitch.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

However, I do approve of SurreptitiousMuffin calling dibs. That should prevent you all from choosing Down in the Park or something.

You all have until the sign-up deadline to declare your song.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

I'm in once more.

edit
Ill take "We Are Glass".

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Stuporstar posted:

However, I do approve of SurreptitiousMuffin calling dibs. That should prevent you all from choosing Down in the Park or something.

I disapprove of Stuporstar existing. Does that count for anything?

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

budgieinspector posted:

loving in this bitch.

Dibs on "Are 'Friends' Electric?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stuporstar posted:

'Halo' for me.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

I disapprove of Stuporstar existing. Does that count for anything?

Back to the gulag, raggedy man.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

by exmarx

I guess I'll jump in with "Music for Chameleons".

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Blood Empress of Thunderdome

Tap to emit spores

Clapping Larry

Oh boy. I'm in with I die: you die

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

In with "My Shadow In Vain"

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

That's Cheap Trick. I don't give a goddamn how cool The Stranglers or The Clash or whoever are. Band substitutes will not be permitted. This is the motherfucking Gary Numan challenge, not the general 80s synthpop/New Wave challenge.
b-b-but he covered it. It's on Tubeway Army. I already wrote most of the story.

If I can't, I'll go with The Life Machine.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

b-b-but he covered it. It's on Tubeway Army. I already wrote most of the story.

If I can't, I'll go with The Life Machine.

Totally different song with the same name. You're in the clear.

Also, how the hell did you not catch my edit exonerating you when you posted an hour after I figured it out? Is this some kind of … wait for it … cheap trick?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

Also, how the hell did you not catch my edit exonerating you when you posted an hour after I figured it out? Is this some kind of … wait for it … cheap trick?
Had post reply open, went away to do something else for a few hours, forgot to refresh the thread .

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Had post reply open, went away to do something else for a few hours, forgot to refresh the thread .

Ah, ok. I've been reading way too much Alfred Bester and imagined you got trapped in a temporal anomaly.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

The man was stunningly well dressed. He had a smart looking jacket, and a really neat looking cape, the lining of which was shimmering and sparkling in more than Oriental splendour, which is a great deal of splendour indeed, just ask Kipling.

I don't even know who the hell that is but whatever, in. Checking him out on Wikipedia and claiming... Sister Surprise. That's where I randomly scrolled to.

Also for a moment I thought we were talking about Alfred E Newman or whatever that guy is.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Fallen Rib

I don't know who Gary Numan is so I'll let someone else choose my song for me. I pre-emptively choose the next song someone posts as their own.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Calling dibs on “Bombers” . What is the word limit this time?

areyoucontagious
Jun 13, 2007

Hell is other people.

Martello posted:

Thunderdome Week V
Word count is ~1000. Don't push it.

t

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Congrats to toanoradian I really liked the opening paragraph of your story.

sebmojo posted:

Seldom Posts: New World

This has some potential, but needs a hacking to stop the softly singing and the words falling quietly. It feels like your character doesn’t really care so why should we? But space commies is a great trope and this gets a lot of things right. -5/10

Thanks. I was going for sort of an ironic melancholy mood, like here's Pol Pot/Robespierre thinking about his revolution and being only slightly sad about having murdered a lot of people while he savours his scotch. Too bad the "cognitive dissonance" didn't hit the way I wanted it to. I am glad you thought part of it worked.

quote:

Fucksticks, this week the prompt is to write a not-awful loving story that involves Gary Numan's goddamn life, motherfucking lifestyle, the themes and structure of his cuntlicking music or based on one of his cocksucking songs specifically....you must also write the lovely loving story about being trapped, somewhere

I am in again, God help me. I choose Gary Numan's support for Margaret Thatcher and his status as one of the fathers of 'industrial' music.

quote:

^^ All right, but if you're going the biography route, your Numan-based protagonist must have aspergers.

Not really thinking biography, but I'll give my character Aspergers and see how it goes.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

^^ All right, but if you're going the biography route, your Numan-based protagonist must have aspergers.

Chairchucker posted:

I don't even know who the hell that is but whatever, in. Checking him out on Wikipedia and claiming... Sister Surprise. That's where I randomly scrolled to.

Also for a moment I thought we were talking about Alfred E Newman or whatever that guy is.

Oh ho, someone thinks they're too cool for Gary Numan, does he? Then randomnly rolls the dice and lands on … mid-80s overproduced synthpop era layered in backing vocals and saxophone.

… carry on.

Capntastic posted:

I don't know who Gary Numan is so I'll let someone else choose my song for me. I pre-emptively choose the next song someone posts as their own.

I'm assigning you "We Have a Technical" because it's the longest song I can think of, and if it turns out you don't like Gary Numan, it'll make you suffer for being too damned lazy to look him up.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

Everybody loses anyway.

Gary Numan posted:

Me I've just died
But some machine keeps on humming
I'm just an extra piece of dead meat to keep running
Why won't you let me die in peace?
Why won't you let me die with some kind of honour?
Why won't you let me die at all?
I know
You've got your principles

My body lies immobile
I left it days ago
And me I watch from somewhere as the loved ones come and go
I see them glancing at the switch
I hear them whispering "maybe it's better that way"
I see the love turn into feelings
I know
Aren't quite the same

I see the men of learning
Pacing to and fro
But how can I expect the sane to ever know?
I'd rather die than have no mind
I know my brain is gone "damaged beyond repair"
I see an empty shell below me
I know
I've had my time

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Fallen Rib

Stuporstar posted:

I'm assigning you "We Have a Technical" because it's the longest song I can think of, and if it turns out you don't like Gary Numan, it'll make you suffer for being too damned lazy to look him up.

I'm familiar with Gary Numan, but I'd still hesitate to say that I or any others really 'know' him. Regardless, if you won't let me snag someone's choice (forcing them to snag someone else's), I am fine with this. I love technicals!

HiddenGecko
Apr 15, 2007

You think I'm really going
to read this shit?

I will be writing a story about his 1984 song "Berserker" picked solely by the title.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

CONFIRMED FOR JAY

It seems no one else has taken 'Down in the Park," yet. So I'm in.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

I approve of your username.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Capntastic posted:

I'm familiar with Gary Numan, but I'd still hesitate to say that I or any others really 'know' him.

Maybe this will help.

Meditate upon its ceramic intensity.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Alright, I guess I'll try to do something with Complex.

swaziloo
Aug 29, 2012

I dive, haphazardly, into the fray, completely unfamiliar with Gary Numan, and hereby lay claim to 'Replicas.'

I would say 'wish me luck,' but I've lurked enough to know better.

kangaroojunk
Aug 17, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm in.

Also chosen randomly from Wikipedia:

"You Are in My Vision"

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

I dive in as well, and to underscore my lameness, my random selection (first video that caught my eye) is from his more recent work. I choose The Fall.

May give me strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

I am in, and I choose the song Metal. I might even listen to it or read the lyrics or something before I start OR I MIGHT NOT.

«86 »