Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:siren: :siren: :siren: resultspost :siren: :siren: :siren:

A foul wind is blowing.

LordVonEarlDuke stands panting, weary but victorious, spattered in gore and weilding a charming folk fiction that shows an adroit use of the prompt. At his side is the ever-honorably mentioned Sebmojo, the stalwart dog on the heels of the victorious

A short distance away, a limp and battered form lay in a pool of congealing fluids. WHR 49.5 is unquestionably the defeated, run through in a dozen places by the canny words of the other competitors. His prose had been unclear, its progression like a straight line rather than the delicate arc described in the Holy Words of Prompting.

The judges make their edict, and all the while the ill breath of the wind moans through the Thunderdome. The moan becomes screaming, and the screaming becomes of voice, a voice that resounds with the cries of every man and woman struck down to the sandy arena floor.

THE FIRST SHALL BE LAST

THE LAST SHALL BE FIRST

RISE, O GLORIOUS FALLEN

AND LEAD YE MEEK TO INHERIT THIS BLOODY EARTH

And WHR 49.5 stirs, and the wind is as a vortex around him, and the air smells of ozone as unholy lightning leap from his fingertips and eyes.

The judges feel themselves reduced, the ancient power leached from their bones and carried on the foul wind to suffuse WHR with an ominous glow.

YOU MAY CHOOSE

ANY TWO WHO BEAR THE MARK OF DEFEAT

THAT NEW BLOOD MAY FLOW

IN THE WRETCHED HEART OF THUNDERDOME

And with that the wind is gone, and WHR 49.5 rises slowly, deliberately. His eyes are fiery with new found authority, and he surveys the ragged warriors before him.

You must choose, says the memory of the wind. With a horrible smile, he raises his hand and beckons two from the waiting crowd.

---scene----

That's right, poo poo just turned upsidedown. The loser judges, so WHR 49.5 that means you. Pick any two co-judges from the ample crowd of people with losertars. Pick a prompt. Be merciless.

Thunderdome is getting a blood transfusion, bitches.

Crits to follow shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh my. Only people with actual losertars or just people who have lost in the past?

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Hooray! I think!

I probably wouldn't have been able to judge and prompt and stuff that well this week anyway what with it being gobbler week. Hark! my little chicken, see, sits in in a cheese, and waits for me.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I don't feel like looking through the thread to see who has a losertar, but if someone lost and then changed their avatar, they are still elligible.

The point is to get some new people judging because the judges have grown fat and lazy like sloth.

WHR 49.5, feel free to PM me with any questions or email me at Stormyserenity13@msn dot com if you don't have PMs.

Also congrats LordVonEarlDuke. Don't worry, I'm sure you will have your reign of terror soon enough.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I love this drat thread. I mean, it's given me a few black eyes, but it didn't really MEAN to hit me. Sorry for not participating recently, a combination of shame/ overly busy schedule kept me away.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Congrats LordVonEarlDuke. I usually don't read other entries until I've posted mine and when I read yours I was like "welp!"

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Since the judges are obviously too busy drinking scoring sweet chicks generally being badasses I decided to be the nerd and click on all the links on the OP to compile a list of losers.

Arivia
capntastic
Chairchucker
Jack_Gochuck
Wrageowrapper
Baudolino
Kangaroojunk
Jimson
areyoucontagious
Dromer
Braggy_Brad
Black Griffon

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

LordVonEarlDuke stands panting, weary but victorious, spattered in gore and weilding a charming folk fiction that shows an adroit use of the prompt. At his side is the ever-honorably mentioned Sebmojo, the stalwart dog on the heels of the victorious

I would take that honourable mention to the bank as well but they've asked me to do all my transactions over the phone.

Congratulations winnerloser and loserwinner! Does that mean LVED gets a losertar?

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
Congratulations winnerloser and loserwinner!

Unfortunately, unless one of you has the ability to tranfser in-depth knowledge of muscle origins, insertions, and actions into my brain in time for my lab exam tomorrow, you're going to have to wait at least 24 hours until you get critiques from this former judge :qq:

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
What sadistic teacher has a lab exam the day before thanksgiving?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noah posted:

What sadistic teacher has a lab exam the day before thanksgiving?

One that's in Ireland, where the only holidays are Guinness Thursday and Christmas?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Here's a list of the winners:

1: Sitting Here
2:Budgieinspector
3:Sebmojo
4:Toanaradian
5:Nyarai
6:SurreptitiousMuffin
7:Budgieinspector
8:Y Kant Ozma Post
9:Sebmojo
10:Sitting Here
11:Jeza
12:Fanky Malloons
13:Toaster Beef
14:Sitting Here
15:LordEarlVonDuke

Also, so what's the threshold of stories needed before these finally get bundled and together and thrown into a compilation that goons can purchase? Seems like a natural progression for this to take.

If no one wants to volunteer to do this, I can start compiling them into a nice looking PDF. Not sure exactly what is required to convert it over to e-reader format, but I suppose I could look into it.

sebmojo posted:

One that's in Ireland, where the only holidays are Guinness Thursday and Christmas?

What a terrible, deprived country.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Noah posted:

Not sure exactly what is required to convert it over to e-reader format

There's a program called Calibre that does that pretty nicely.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Does anyone know where our loserwinner might be?

If they haven't posted by the end of the day I reserve the right to bestow the power on another loserwinner.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Canada, bitches, Thanksgiving was in October :canada:

Though me and my beer nerd friends are having an American-themed beer night in your dubious honour.

Also, Noah, can we edit our pieces and tart them up extra nice first?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
If you would like to, for sure. The effort is mainly to sit down in with InDesign and Illustrator and make the layout and design really nice. The text is just bingo-bango plop it in.

15 short stories seems like a good stopping point. I'll start drafting up some mock ups. When I know how the design will look, I'll put a deadline to have stories edited by, or I'll copy/paste right from the thread.

This is of course, with all the permissions of each winner. Going through with the project would require contracts, rights, and all that jazz.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Noah posted:

If you would like to, for sure. The effort is mainly to sit down in with InDesign and Illustrator and make the layout and design really nice. The text is just bingo-bango plop it in.

15 short stories seems like a good stopping point. I'll start drafting up some mock ups. When I know how the design will look, I'll put a deadline to have stories edited by, or I'll copy/paste right from the thread.

This is of course, with all the permissions of each winner. Going through with the project would require contracts, rights, and all that jazz.

Well, considering I was just told by a friend of mine that I ought to submit things for publication like, ever, I am down with you including one of mine for sure (I'm pretty sure I won on two separate occasions?)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noah posted:

FINE BY THIS DOUBLE TIME WINNER

e: I've given mine a tartup.

Fanky M i thought you were irish for some reason is that untrue

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
As champion among champions, I support this :smug:

I'll get tartin'

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
There will also be the issue of intent of the publication.

Is it going to be distributed for free or pay and if so how much?

Is it going to be a nice, crisp, colorful .pdf, or will it be formatted for an e-reader?

Who is publishing it (the entity, existing or a new one to be created)?

Of this publication, someone needs to have propriety over it.

For the authors of the short stories, you are foregoing submitting these same stories to other publications. I would suggest for multiple time winners, you might want to diversify. Choose the one you want to feature, and then shop the others around. Or save it for another compilation.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or cross any boundaries, since this thread bloomed from Martello, ESB and Stuporstar's infected phalli. They have first dibs on essentially being Editor-in-Chief of such a publication.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Fanky M i thought you were irish for some reason is that untrue

It's not entirely untrue - my mum's family are Irish as feck, and I grew up in England :britain: Though how you would know that I don't know :iiam:

WHR 49.5
Oct 21, 2012

Is this what they mean by not knowing whether to laugh or cry...where happiness meets sadness?

I'll make sure to get up a prompt within a little bit.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Congratulations to the winners and losers I guess. Does this also mean that this week's winners get losertars?

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Congratulations to the winners and losers I guess. Does this also mean that this week's winners get losertars?

I'd honestly welcome any 'tar.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Congrats to all winners and losers!

Also, if we continue the trend of losers giving prompts may I suggest Chairchucker be permanent judge. It's only right.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Congrats to all winners and losers!

Also, if we continue the trend of losers giving prompts may I suggest Chairchucker be permanent judge. It's only right.

Hope you all like fanfiction and footnotes!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fanky Malloons posted:

It's not entirely untrue - my mum's family are Irish as feck, and I grew up in England :britain: Though how you would know that I don't know :iiam:

NFI. Maybe something you said in TFLC? I lurked there for a bit when I was flirting with the idea of gettin' swole.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

WHR 49.5 posted:

Is this what they mean by not knowing whether to laugh or cry...where happiness meets sadness?

I'll make sure to get up a prompt within a little bit.

And don't forget to pick your judges! I know Dromer and chairchucker have taken some abuse, but there is a lot of good stock to choose from.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Noah posted:

Is it going to be a nice, crisp, colorful .pdf, or will it be formatted for an e-reader?

For the authors of the short stories, you are foregoing submitting these same stories to other publications. I would suggest for multiple time winners, you might want to diversify. Choose the one you want to feature, and then shop the others around. Or save it for another compilation.

If this does happen, there's a lot of logistical problems that crop up as soon as money gets involved. Especially if the only people being featured in the thing are "Winners", which seems like a precarious barrier to entry, even if it is thematically appropriate.

A better way to handle it would to let anyone who's been semi-regular contestant put up one polished story, put it on a site, and then have both .pdf and ebook formats available. Put up a paypal donation button with a suggested amount per download of a dollar or two, and put that money towards maintaining the site. That way Thunderdome has a cool site to show off winners and losers every week to the non-Goon public, as well as get the names of regulars out there. And since the grand jackpot of six dollars raised a year would go towards keeping the site up, no one has to sweat over "where's my money, Martello?"

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Fanky Malloons posted:

I knew you were Canadian because you use some dumb Commonwealth spelling and refer to "school" as "University" and I knew you were in Canada :canada: and not that filthy island :britain: because you reference EST and not GMT.

:smug::respek::eng101:

Capntastic posted:

no one has to sweat over "where's my money, Martello?"

Erik Shawn-Bohner and I had discussed this exact issue. Your suggestion might work. We can figure something out.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Off topic, but where has ESB been? I could possibly go find out myself but I like posting in this thread.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
^^ He's been convening with evil spirits (aka contract work) for the last couple months. Also, he hates you all.

Noah posted:

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or cross any boundaries, since this thread bloomed from Martello, ESB and Stuporstar's infected phalli. They have first dibs on essentially being Editor-in-Chief of such a publication.

Why not use Goonreads? Combining efforts between these two CC-born projects would bolster both. A Thunderdome omnibus would probably work best monthly. That would make 4 prompts per collection—a good number to mine, seeing how so many great stories come out of every week. Winners and runners up would benefit—if they choose to volunteer their stories.

I'm in on this. I'll chat with the other TD founders as well. Doing a behind the scenes editorial will be fun, and guaranteed to be full of amusing bullshit—you know, to keep the kayfabe fresh. ;)

Also, I have a good handle on epub conversion through Scrivener.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Stuporstar posted:

^^ He's been convening with evil spirits (aka contract work) for the last couple months. Also, he hates you all.

Why not use Goonreads? Combining efforts between these two CC-born projects would bolster both. A Thunderdome omnibus would probably work best monthly. That would make 4 prompts per collection—a good number to mine, seeing how so many great stories come out of every week. Winners and runners up would benefit—if they choose to volunteer their stories.

I'm in on this. I'll chat with the other TD founders as well. Doing a behind the scenes editorial will be fun, and guaranteed to be full of amusing bullshit—you know, to keep the kayfabe fresh. ;)

Also, I have a good handle on epub conversion through Scrivener.

This sounds like the best platform to start out with, always a plus when goons can help goons

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
It's my opinion that the writers should be paid for their work, even if they only churned it out in a matter of days.

I also feel as though the stories should be able to stand sans their prompts. A good story is a good story, regardless of why the story was written.

It seems the thunderdome founders have this covered, but if anyone needs help with InDesign or some layout stuff, I'm always free.

WHR 49.5
Oct 21, 2012

:siren::siren::siren:PROMPT POST:siren::siren::siren:

Title: Oh the weave we web

Prompt: Write a story that includes the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNWT9aEmXIw

The story could either take place entirely within the video, or it could intersect with just one moment in the video. However, it must include at least some part of the video at that location and point in time.

In addition, the story must include a conspiracy theory. It would be best to make up your own conspiracy theory. But, if you use one that is already floating around out there, please don't use the usual suspects like shadow people, reptilian overlord governments, and the like.

Word Count Limit: 750 words
Signup Deadline: Saturday, November 24 11:59 EST
Submission Deadline: Sunday, November 25 11:59 EST

Judges:
WHR 49.5
Chairchucker
Black Griffon

List of entrants:
Toaster Beef
sebmojo (Submitted)
Jeza (Submitted)
V for Vegas (Submitted)
Sitting Here (Submitted)
The Saddest Rhino (Submitted)
Found Sound (Submitted)
Noah (Submitted)
Jonked (Submitted)
Oxxidation (Submitted)
LordVonEarlDuke (Submitted)
Erik Shawn-Bohner (Submitted)
SurreptitiousMuffin (Submitted)

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Martello posted:

I knew you were Canadian because you use some dumb Commonwealth spelling and refer to "school" as "University" and I knew you were in Canada :canada: and not that filthy island :britain: because you reference EST and not GMT.

:smug::respek::eng101:

Thank you, Sherlock, but I was referring more to my Irish heritage, which I don't believe I have ever mentioned on these fine forums.

Admit it, you just want to be my internet boyfried :colbert:

(get in line :haw:)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also footnotes are great and you should totally use them!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

That's right, Chickencheese Prophet and judge of your worthless asses. Get loving to it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Fanky Malloons posted:

Thank you, Sherlock, but I was referring more to my Irish heritage, which I don't believe I have ever mentioned on these fine forums.

Admit it, you just want to be my internet boyfried :colbert:

(get in line :haw:)

OMG when I get my irl gf an account today what if she sees that she'll b/u with me :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm in. I'm in as hell.