Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm starting to feel like this thread should give a negative post count

gently caress You And Thunderdome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Jeza posted:

Unless we change the losertar to be anime. That would be a punishment worth fearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po77bJk1DdI

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Sitting Here posted:

I'm starting to feel like this thread should give a negative post count

gently caress You And Thunderdome

I'm currently working to post in FYAD so much that eventually, with some care and effort, I can maintain a 0 post count.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Check Engine (644 Words)
Does their life matter once their dead?

Breath slower.

Hold up, I gotta point some stuff out here.

Between these and the smiley faces and the previous testicle comments I'm not sure if you're just flirting with me or putting me over or what. Learn your they'res, theres, and theirs. Learn that breath and breathe are different.

While there's no accounting for how the judges are gonna weigh in on the story content themselves, I can't myself feel the thrill of combat if my opponent isn't gonna have a scrap of craftsmanship about them.

And I was feeling uneasy at only spending around fifteen minutes on a line edit.

If Gochuck loses this round I propose a new "Jabroni" avatar.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Martello posted:

I'm currently working to post in FYAD so much that eventually, with some care and effort, I can maintain a 0 post count.

I know how you can maintain a 0 post count.

Stop posting. Forever.

:byewhore:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Capntastic posted:

Hold up, I gotta point some stuff out here.

Between these and the smiley faces and the previous testicle comments I'm not sure if you're just flirting with me or putting me over or what. Learn your they'res, theres, and theirs. Learn that breath and breathe are different.

While there's no accounting for how the judges are gonna weigh in on the story content themselves, I can't myself feel the thrill of combat if my opponent isn't gonna have a scrap of craftsmanship about them.

And I was feeling uneasy at only spending around fifteen minutes on a line edit.

If Gochuck loses this round I propose a new "Jabroni" avatar.

I'd suggest some minor spelling and grammar edits for your story, but I couldn't get past the first four lines.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I'd suggest some minor spelling and grammar edits for your story, but I couldn't get past the first four lines.

Working at your own pace is fine when it comes to literacy but this is Thunderdome.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

I know how you can maintain a 0 post count.

Stop posting. Forever.

:byewhore:

I know how you can stop being a fat stupid redneck with a little penis.

On no, wait, that's permanent. Sorry bro.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

On the upside, if you lose, at least you won't be stuck with that anime avatar anymore.

Hey now. This is a Dangan Ronpa avatar. That game is pretty amazing.

I don't even watch anime.

Oh boy, my first post in the thread and I already got insulted! I feel so accepted already! :buddy:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Meis posted:

I just found this thread.

It is a good thread. Spent all day reading this week's entries, loved all of them! That's a lie, I loved a lot of them, liked most, and a few were just ok. Nothing was bad though! And still probably all better than anything I could write! I'm kind of out of practice. I'm pretty sure I haven't worked on anything in well over a year, and I was never that amazing to begin with... But hey, I've decided to get back into writing, so I think I'll join in with this next week. A challenge like this would be helpful. I'll no doubt get my arse torn to shreds, but hey, it looks like a fun thing to do! :v:
Anime detected. Possible Primoman alt. Administering test:

The prompt is: two friends walk in the park. Your story must contain at least one dog, preferably more.

What do you write? Do not write the whole story, just give me a 1-sentence description ta.

Meis posted:

Oh boy, my first post in the thread and I already got insulted! I feel so accepted already! :buddy:
That means you're in the club but I won't let you through the door unless you pass the test. :colbert:

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Martello posted:

I know how you can stop being a fat stupid redneck with a little penis.

On no, wait, that's permanent. Sorry bro.

I was going to reply, but poppa smells fresh nerd-meat.

He sure got a pretty mouth, ain't he?

Meis posted:

Hey now. This is a Dangan Ronpa avatar. That game is pretty amazing.

I don't even watch anime.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The prompt is: two friends walk in the park. Your story must contain at least one dog, preferably more.

Given how this last round has gone, I bet everyone ends up dead by the end. Everyone. Yes, probably the dogs too. However many there are.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Anime detected. Possible Primoman alt. Administering test:

What do you write? Do not write the whole story, just give me a 1-sentence description ta.

I have no idea who Primoman is.

I write a story about a pair of girls walking home from school through the park, when they see an injured dog run terrified past them. They are curious and try to find out what has happened to it, and it turns out the animal escaped from a crazy man who had created some kind of alter where he was capturing stray dogs, skinning them and creating some kind of dog suit out of the skin / other body parts so that he could become king of the dogs. Story ends with the man chasing them away, trying to bite and scratch them, and they never speak of the event again.

That's the best I could come up with at short notice, anyway.

Rose Wreck posted:

Given how this last round has gone, I bet everyone ends up dead by the end. Everyone. Yes, probably the dogs too. However many there are.

Close, only most of the dogs, not all. And neither of the protagonists. Or maybe they will, whatever works best in the end.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Meis posted:

I have no idea who Primoman is.

I write a story about a pair of girls walking home from school through the park, when they see an injured dog run terrified past them. They are curious and try to find out what has happened to it, and it turns out the animal escaped from a crazy man who had created some kind of alter where he was capturing stray dogs, skinning them and creating some kind of dog suit out of the skin / other body parts so that he could become king of the dogs. Story ends with the man chasing them away, trying to bite and scratch them, and they never speak of the event again.

That's the best I could come up with at short notice, anyway.
:siren:Scanning:siren:

0% catgirl detected
0% paedophilia detected
10% anime detected

35% good creepy detected
15% bad creepy detected
10% actual funny detected

Verdict: pass

Move along citizen.

n.b.: Primoman is a really creepy dude with a similar avatar who took a really innocuous prompt and turned it into "anime sex romp".

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
All Thunderdome Newbies (d'aaawe :3:) message Erik Shawn-Bohner or Martello for all your basic Thunderdome questions. All PMs are a confidential newby friendly zone. We encourage lots of questions here so PM away :)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Hmm. The girls did not have sex with the dogs, nor did the man.

This story is awful and you'll never make it here. Go back to games or whatever, they're calling for you.

also shutup superfluous puffin, you have come a long way since Erik and I discussed you in our super-confidential gtalk sessions as "that Muffin person" but you are not the boss of me or anyone here. Perhaps you are the boss of your penis but I doubt it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Martello posted:

Hmm. The girls did not have sex with the dogs, nor did the man.
That's how we know it's not Primoman.

I'm watching you brosef but we cool.

Sitting Here posted:

All Thunderdome Newbies (d'aaawe :3:) message Erik Shawn-Bohner or Martello for all your basic Thunderdome questions. All PMs are a confidential newby friendly zone. We encourage lots of questions here so PM away :)
and actually this. We're just busting your chops.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!
Soiled Meat

Sitting Here posted:

Don't, it's a trick: I got scammed out of my pension and now Erik Shawn-Bohner has a chalet in Nigeria.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Scanning

Scanning

Scanning

0% catgirl detected
0% paedophilia detected
10% anime detected

Scanning

35% good creepy detected
15% bad creepy detected
10% actual funny detected

Verdict: pass

Move along citizen.

n.b.: Primoman is a really creepy dude with a similar avatar who took a really innocuous prompt and turned it into "anime sex romp".

Woo!

Yeah don't worry, I'm not the kind of person who would write about anime poo poo, despite the avatar. It's kind of misleading, I guess.

e:

Martello posted:

This story is awful and you'll never make it here. Go back to games or whatever, they're calling for you.

Yeah it's bad, but if I had a week I'm sure I would have managed to create something almost mediocre in quality! Point is, I want to start writing and what better way to do that than to lose at thunderdome and get ridiculed by everybody?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Martello posted:

Perhaps you are the boss of your penis but I doubt it.
I'm the boss of your penis and that's enough.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Puppies die in that story????? :(

(Btw please do not google primoman)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Btw please get in this thread and PM me and Muffin with your judgements baby bitch.

thanks in advance

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

For what it's worth I can say that, going by his history, Primoman did not acquire that avatar willingly.

The man snatched up redtext avs with dizzying frequency, can't think why

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Meis I will shake the self deprication out of you

look how shaken Etherwind is, it's like loving squiggle vision over there

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!
Soiled Meat
If I'm hunched over, shaking and holding my sides, it's because I'm laughing at your lame as all hell entr-

You know what? No. I don't mind doing the bullshit bravado before putting an entry in, but I refuse to insult someone's work unless it's actually dire. Writing against you has made me really work at it, and I'm grateful for that. Thanks, Sitting Here.

making GBS threads here

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Oxxidation posted:

For what it's worth I can say that, going by his history, Primoman did not acquire that avatar willingly.

The man snatched up redtext avs with dizzying frequency, can't think why

Dr. Martello, Dr. Stuporstar, and I held a summit to discuss our latest findings on the state of Primoman's hole as described in our paper published in the Journal of Immunology, "Primoman's Neg Hole: Utilizing Biological Imperatives to Pos Neg Holes".

After many weeks of intense research and consultations with our other esteemed doctors at the Thunderdome Clinic, we settled on a strict course of Biological Anti-Posting Serum (BAPS), donated by many volunteers into a communal cup, to induce his self-shame receptors to be active once more. That resulted in his discontinuing to post.

So clearly, as is shown by the patient's absolute recovery from his condition, the treatment was entirely successful and retroactively consensual once the patient was in his right mind.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Etherwind posted:

making GBS threads here

Want this as my username if I lose this round.

I WILL DIE A WARRIOR'S DEATH

making GBS threads IN ABJECT SUFFERING

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sitting Here posted:

making GBS threads IN ABJECT SUFFERING
A collection of poetry about life in the trenches.

featuring:

* Wilfred Owen
* Siegfried Sassoon
* another guy who got shot but I forgot his name

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Sitting Here posted:

Meis I will shake the self deprication out of you

look how shaken Etherwind is, it's like loving squiggle vision over there

Yeah, sometimes I do this thing where I acted self-depricating as gently caress. I guess it's some kind of preventative measure? I don't do it on purpose. Maybe on some level I'm doing it because if I insult myself, other people won't be able to, right!? You know, somehow I don't think that tactic would work here. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Yeah.

But you know what, gently caress it. Sure I'm not great but I'm not awful either. Even my lame-rear end dog murdering story could be good, if I put enough effort in and wrote it well. Hell, maybe I'll give that a shot. A sort of practice run, if you will, before the next thunderdome battle begins.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
BTW, BAPS is semen.

Just so you guys know. I understand that sometimes when Dr. Shawn-Bohner lapses into scientific jargon it's tough for the layman to understand.

Hey Meis shut the gently caress up about whatever you're talking about please.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Martello posted:

BTW, BAPS is semen.

Just so you guys know. I understand that sometimes when Dr. Shawn-Bohner lapses into scientific jargon it's tough for the layman to understand.

Hey Meis shut the gently caress up about whatever you're talking about please.
Stop posting, get judging.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fast judging = probably still bad judging actually.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Without the Wings

641 words

Carver warmed his hands over the barrel fire. The fingers of his gloves had never been all that thick to begin with, and after three months of dumpster-diving and general rough living in Undertown most of them were worn through.

"How ya doin, Carve?" Bogie rubbed his own filthy hands over the fire.

"You know how it is," Carver said. "Still alive."

"True, true." Bogie nodded like the wisest sage. "You want a little bit a the dry green? I cadged some offa Morene up the lane, you know the one with the hydro in the basement gives us soup sometimes?"

"I'd love that, Bogie." Carver showed his teeth in something like a smile. He hadn't seen a reflective surface in weeks, but he knew his teeth had to be yellow by now. One of his incisors was even coming loose.

Bogie pulled the joint from the pocket of his ratty topcoat and looked at it like a holy relic. He put it in his mouth and lit it off the flames.

"Oh man," he said, blowing a cloud of smoke. "Nothing like some a the dry green." He held the joint out with two fingers. Carver took it from him and put it in his mouth. He pulled the thick, hot smoke into his lungs. In a few minutes, the tingle would start in his cheeks.

"Thanks, buddy." He smiled at Bogie again, and this time it was more or less genuine. The occasional joint was one of the few things Carver looked forward to, these days. Memories of parties where cocaine, silverpaste, and expensive liquor were as common as mud still gnawed at the bag of Carver's brain.

"So Carve," Bogie was saying. "How did you get turned out on the streets again?" He took the joint back and sucked on it.

"Haven't I told you that more than once?" Carver raised an eyebrow.

"Probably, but you know me, I forget." Bogie grinned with a mouthful of brown teeth, and less than half of the thirty he should have had. He handed the joint back.

"Clerical error." Carver rubbed his temples, feeling a headache coming on even as the tightness in his cheeks from the weed kicked in. "My biometrics were only on one server, when they didn't bother with a backup in my municipality. Back then, at least. Now they've changed."

"Uh-huh." Bogie took the joint again, smiled at it like a long-lost favorite dog.

Carver knew Bogie didn't understand most of what he was saying, but he kept talking anyway. "So they lost all my data, and I ceased to exist as a citizen of Toronto. I was able to get to the hall of records after I got fired, to protest my non-citizen status."

He had the joint between his lips again, and took a long pull.

"One of the records clerks there actually admitted she'd deleted my file accidentally. She was reorganizing or something, I don't quite remember. But by the time she caught the error it was too late." Carver felt tears brimming; even after all these months the memory still hurt. "I got kicked out of my house, most of my possessions appropriated by the State." He spread his gloved hands to take in the underpass, the cardboard-and-sheet-metal shanties, and the other longtime squatters like Bogie. "And here I am."

"Huh." Bogie tossed the burnt end of the joint into the barrel and went back to rubbing his hands together. "Hell of a story, man. Can't even imagine what life must be like up there in the Towers an such." His eyes were glassy and he wasn't looking at Carver anymore.

"It was something. It was heaven, without the wings." Carver sat down on a crate and tried to enjoy the high despite the growing pangs in his shrunken gut.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Chairchucker posted:

Fast judging = probably still bad judging actually.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Erik and I are gettin there. Not sure about Vegas, but I'm sure he's close.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
PMs sent.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All judges will be posting their picks - best of three wins.

SurreptitiousMuffin v Erik Shawn-Bohner -ESB

These are both very good. I would give it to ESB on points for the premise.

The problem I had with SM's entry was the voice of the protagonist. That's the tricky thing with writing in first person is that the language the person uses has to be congruent with the character. For this story, I felt the voice was SM's, not the storyteller's. That problem then fed into some poor sentence choices like "It is the second most fierce and beautiful thing I have ever seen" (a Get Smart joke??) and references to 'the heat death of the universe'. These were not things I felt this character should be saying.

Sitting Here v Etherwind - Sitting Here

Etherwind, I'm impressed. After last week's effort I had low expectations but this kept me interested. However, Sitting Here, even though his ending felt off to me, I loved loved the first half - 'Oh ho!'

Sitting Here. I always consider it better to be revealing than to be revealed and I would have been much happier if you're story didn't go where it did, but stuck with the sing-song delirium at the start.

Etherwind - Like I said, pretty good but a few things just irked me while reading. The opening quote (from Dan Simmons(?!) of all people) seems to be hanging there without reference to what happens in the story. I'm sure you've got a good reason but it was opaque to me. Also - using a reflection in a mirror to describe the appearance of the character - a dangerous flirtation with the 2nd rule there.

Otherwise pretty well done following the internal monologue of the character.

Jonked v Jeza - Jonked

Of the two, I actually think Jeza's was the better written piece, but the cheesy story telling yei yei in Jonked's story got me.

Jonked I actually groaned when you interpreted the prompt literally as well as thematically, but you know what, as a piece of mythology it worked quite well so I take back that groan. I really appreciated the little touches in the story, like the poems written in Hakka and the perverse twisting of praise of Mao into criticism. A great touch!

Jeza, while your story was good, I think it didn't meet the prompt as well as Jonked. Firstly, your piece could have used a few more flourishes like Jonked's that set it in it's place. While it was probably more accurate as to the horrors of the times, and you had some good lines (like referring to the fact that metal had all been used up) it didn't feel as rooted in the setting. That feeds into the second issue in that it was ultimately a revenge story, not a man in the hole story, that could have been set anywhere.

Capntastic v Zack_Gochuck - Zack_Gochuck

Hallucinatory characters get me every time. Honestly, Capntastic I didn't really gel with your character. Maybe that's just me.

Capntastic - The first paragraph sends this down the wrong track. I don't see where in the story you go with the conceit that small problems ripple and expand into large problems. If you've got Chekhov's ripple in the first paragraph, you better make sure it's a big old dirty rock thrown into the pond by the end. Here, the guy gets ready to go to work, goes to work and has a lousy night, sneaks into a closet for a smoke and dies in a fire. Maybe I'm not getting something here but the whole story just seemed to be this happened and that happened and then he died. It didn't tie back to the promise you made at the start.

Some other things with the writing could have been tidied up, eg the second paragraph could be made much better by getting rid of the adverbs and simply describing Eric's preparations precisely, not calling them precise.

Zack - On re-reading this I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with the prompt. Did Jimmy Stewart used to do mescaline? It's a good story on it's own, but no one dies?? COME ON SON. At least Capntastic had the Waldorf Salad connection.

Bad Seafood v Tender Child Loins - Tender Child Loins.

Bad Seafood, you had me up to the final line! You needed an flawless performance to beat TCL's down home swamp techno story.

The Saddest Rhino v sebmojo - The Saddest Rhino.

I liked your final line sebmojo, but the story didn't feel all there for me.

AutoSnakes v Ronnie_Long - Ronnie_Long by default

Still a good piece, this was a tricky prompt.

Benagain v Noah - Noah

Again, I have a thing for stories with hallucinations.

Benagain - to coin a phrase popular in these parts, I bounced off this one. Caprice and Paul went through the motions of a heist but I didn't get any sense of them as characters. You try to inject a little history in their 'fake laugh' banter, but it's not really enough for me. More on their relationship and having them do the heist alone would have been more satisfying.

Velyoukai v sentientcarbon - Velyoukai

I think you pulled off the 2nd person narrative quite well.

Found Sound v Seldom Posts - Seldom Posts

It was obviously a humorous post and you took that and ran with it. Well done.

Canadian Surf Club v Rose Wreck - Canadian Surf Club

Sorry Rose Wreck, I know that the Nails may not be your thing, but just reading the occasional cameo of an album cover in the story was kind of jarring when reading it.

One of the reasons I chose this prompt is that I loving love NiN. I really dig the concept that the band is just one guy, playing all the instruments and laying down one instrument track on top of the other until you reach this deep, layered and complicated sound. Did you know his first album, Pretty Hate Machine, came out in 1989! That’s forever ago, but you go back and listen to his old stuff and it sounds fresh and new – it must have been incredible hearing it back then.

So that’s the baggage I’m bringing in when I made a prompt that talked about NiN. Obviously, for someone who does not listen to the music or most probably dislikes it, we are not going to be ad idem on what a story which draws on the music will be like. But hey, that’s interesting as well and it certainly isn’t a black mark on what has been written, I’m always fascinated to see what someone else’s opinion is on something that is old to me, but new to them.

I take your point that the story was about the music, not just throwing in titles, but goddamn they were annoying to read. Please never, ever, ever do that again. I went back through your story, pasted it into word and then deleted all the song references. You know what? It instantly became a million times better and I can see where you were going with it.

Peel v Greatbacon - Greatbacon

Both good stories. I liked the incompetent hustlers better.

But I want to say Peel, for a little but I was giving your president a mental fist pump and a little 'gently caress yeah' for his speech to his killers. If you could have expanded that (i don't know how) it would have been really good.

Bear Sleuth v Fanky Malloons Fanky Malloons.

I loved 'The Thing' premise. And Bear Sleuth you lost me with 'shall' as an article of clothing??

LordVonEarlDuke v Martello - LordVonEarlDuke

I also liked both of these, but the Duke was more in keeping with the Brazil theme.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
I'll add some comments if/when I begin giving a poo poo about you guys and/or I get time and am bored.

-------------------

SurreptitiousMuffin v Erik Shawn-Bohner

SM

Sitting Here v Etherwind

Ether

Jonked v Jeza

JO

Capntastic v Zack_Gochuck

ZG

Bad Seafood v Tender Child Loins

TCL

The Saddest Rhino v sebmojo

seb

AutoSnakes v Ronnie_Long

RL

Benagain v Noah

Noah

Velyoukai v sentientcarbon

SC

Found Sound v Seldom Posts

SP

Canadian Surf Club v Rose Wreck

CSC

Peel v Greatbacon

GB

Bear Sleuth v Fanky Malloons

FM

LordVonEarlDuke v Martello

LVE

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Confirmed winners in the first round -

SurreptitiousMuffin
Sitting Here
Jonked
Zack_Gochuck
Tender Child Loins
Ronnie_Long
Noah
Seldom Posts
Canadian Surf Club
Greatbacon
Fanky Malloons
LordVonEarlDuke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Martello, your piece masterfully transcribed despair and as a bonus how it feels to get high and your protagonist kept an admirable sort of tragic nobility, and I'm of the opinion that my story was too overwritten to edge yours out, but I ain't going to look a gift smackdown in the bruise.

So fukken suck it, idiot bitch.