Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The judges have conferred and determined that actually, this sliding schedule poo poo is a lot of hassle for not much advantage.

Know your fates, and despair.

Fanky Malloons: XX, Judgement

Etherwind: V, The Heirophant

Tender Child Loins: XVI, The Tower

SurreptitiousMuffin: I, The Magician

V for Vegas: XIX, The Sun

Bad Seafood: XVII, The Star

Prolonged Priapism: XII, The Hanged Man

Noah: III, The Empress

Benagain: VI, The Lovers

Sitting Here: XIV, Temperance

Nyarai: XV, The Devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Peel posted:

:siren: Thunderdome Week XX: Face Your Destiny :siren:

I'm in for this round.

sebmojo posted:

Saddest Rhino

Decent cyberpunky fragment, with creaky shoehorning of Bollywoody stuff into it. "The Sitar"? Really? And that's a lovely song, but I'm not getting the connection with your piece.

Well Ravi Shankar died and I was thinking it would be a lovely name for a pub/diner/thing :(

With respect to relevance of song choice I was going for this part of the lyrics:

quote:

And at once I knew I was not magnificent
Hulled far from the highway aisle

and

quote:

“I’m not strong,” Jim said. “I can’t save you. I can’t even save myself. And I - I don’t know what I’d do if you get hurt, and I couldn’t do anything. Even worse if I hurt you.

I guess it didn't work too well in the end on that. I was originally going to go full camp and use this extremely :nws: video but, well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSUW-Z_Cnc0

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
I love the Tarot too much to resist this prompt. I'm in.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Etherwind posted:

As opposed to a soberly, intermittent state, one assumes.

It's the quietness that's the real problem. I'm normally a bit of a loud, boysterous misanthrope. I get quiet and drink all my roommate's kava tea and go on cryptic facebook posting binges (that I delete instantly) and (evidently) preemptively ruin Christmas for grandma in ways I have yet to figure out. It's not a thing for the faint of heart to witness.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!
Soiled Meat
"Time waits for no one," "The Hierophant," one thousand words.

I think I've got this. Since the Hierophant is the fifth card of the Major Arcana, I'm deducting at least 50 words from my total as a sacrifice to the fates. 950 or bust!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Etherwind posted:

"Time waits for no one," "The Heirophant," one thousand words.

I think I've got this. Since the Heirophant is the fifth card of the Major Arcana, I'm deducting at least 50 words from my total as a sacrifice to the fates. 950 or bust!

(nods, slowly)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Haven't read the prompt but I've seen that there is one so I'm in.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I actually have some days off this week so why not?

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I'm in!

Cheers for the crit, seb. I shall digest! :)

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I'm in.

:toxx: If I'm not the first person with a losertar to win Thunderdome, I will buy the first person with a losertar to win an avatar of their choice.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

:toxx: If I'm not the first person with a losertar to win Thunderdome, I will buy the first person with a losertar to win an avatar of their choice.
quoted for posterity. Martello please put in the OP thx ta

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It's good to have a goal to work towards.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am in for these shenanigans.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Oh man a chance to write out all my persona fantasies sure why not

I'm in.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Is this the first toxx in the Thunderdome? I haven't been keeping up with the thread since I left in massive disgrace early on. In fact, I'm afraid to sign up again...

SCREW IT, LET'S DO IT! :black101:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not backing out just because my first entry was bad, so bring it on!

The whole point is to improve. Ideally I'll get slightly better with each passing week, until I become good enough to win! Even if this doesn't happen, this is fun as hell, and is worth it for the feedback alone. And reading other neat stories.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Thanks for the update Pollyanna

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BirdOfPlay posted:

Is this the first toxx in the Thunderdome? I haven't been keeping up with the thread since I left in massive disgrace early on. In fact, I'm afraid to sign up again...

SCREW IT, LET'S DO IT! :black101:

There is no disgrace in the Thunderdome. Only weakness, and strength.

Edit:(also fire, steel and blood, i guess. Plus: lymph. poo poo gets lymphy as gently caress round here nfi why.)

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Peel posted:

Tender Child Loins: XVI, The Tower

Frequent keyword: Chaos ----- Sudden change ----- Impact ----- Hard times

gently caress yeah :black101:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Saddest Rhino: VII, The Chariot

Kaishai: IX, The Hermit

Chairchucker: XI, Justice

Capntastic: XIII, Death

Gredgie: XVIII, The Moon

Zack_Gochuck: II, The High Priestess

Greatbacon: X, Wheel of Fortune

Velyoukai: VIII, Strength

BirdOfPlay: IV, The Emperor

And that's the majors done. Minor time.

Meis: Four of Wands

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Gimme a minor, chief. Stuck in Detroit overnight (cancelled flight) so I need something to do at the hotel.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Martello: Page of Coins

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Just to clarify this for later, The Magician is also known as The Mountebank- a conman or trickster. The word Mountebank is where we get Three Card Monte from.

:eng101:

Martello posted:

Gimme a minor
Quoting out of context, will bring up as appropriate.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Martello posted:

Stuck in Detroit overnight

I'm so sorry.

(I'M WAVING AT YOU FROM ACROSS THE RIVER)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Meis posted:

The whole point is to improve.

On a slightly unrelated note I hope you don't take away any writing lessons from the dangy ronpa novel posted in that thread (other than "writing by using ellipses constantly and lines like "I did a victory pose, yay!" is a loving awful idea") , because that was the most anime thing I've ever read and if all Japanese "light novels" are like that I can see why tvtropes people write that way all the time.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Quoting out of context, will bring up as appropriate.

Typical PYF poster.

Fanky Malloons posted:

I'm so sorry.

(I'M WAVING AT YOU FROM ACROSS THE RIVER)

Come across and get wasted with me!

Btw I'll be in Montreal next week with the irl gf. It will be my first time in frog-Canadia.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!
Soiled Meat
You know, this ain't no fun if you've got no skin in the game. Rather than spend money on an avatar, though, I promise that if I'm selected as the loser I'll donate the equivalent amount to a charity over here.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Martello posted:

Typical PYF poster.
BRB buying you a red title.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Martello posted:

Come across and get wasted with me!

Btw I'll be in Montreal next week with the irl gf. It will be my first time in frog-Canadia.

Given advanced notice, I would have!

I found my fave picture from Montreal for you, but have to link it since it's kind of NWS: http://i.imgur.com/Xuxx5.jpg

EDIT: The store was closed, so I need you to find it, go inside, and report back. For science.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Fanky Malloons posted:

Given advanced notice, I would have!

I found my fave picture from Montreal for you, but have to link it since it's kind of NWS: http://i.imgur.com/Xuxx5.jpg

EDIT: The store was closed, so I need you to find it, go inside, and report back. For science.

:catstare:

Where is it? I will absolutely go there.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

BRB buying you a red title.

lol

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Martello posted:

:catstare:

Where is it? I will absolutely go there.

According to my amazing memory and google street view, it's on the 400-block of Rue St. Sulpice, and is called 'Bali Art'. There's also a really good bakery on that street!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

On a slightly unrelated note I hope you don't take away any writing lessons from the dangy ronpa novel posted in that thread (other than "writing by using ellipses constantly and lines like "I did a victory pose, yay!" is a loving awful idea") , because that was the most anime thing I've ever read and if all Japanese "light novels" are like that I can see why tvtropes people write that way all the time.

Hey, I enjoy the games but holy poo poo I'm not looking for writing advice from them. That novel is bugging me due to how poorly written it is.

Also, I'm sure I've seen a shop selling stuff like the one Fanky posted somewhere before. I don't remember what country I was in at the time, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yes, all v-novels are like that. It's a seriously dire medium.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

All this jolly chitchat is making me think we need a :siren:FLASH RULE:siren:

The first story posted must be genuinely funny.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
So, uh, how's that anal fissure doing, Marty?

Sorry about that. When you're pressed for time, sometimes you gotta go with the spit-lube.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Mods please change ESB's name to "Martello's Distended Anus"

Then the thread would make more sense when I read it

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012
Where would I post a Thunderdome entry rewrite? That's done, but it's too long to drop into the critique thread.

I don't know I should post it since it's a self-set goal. I've still got three other things to finish before I've hit all the marks anyway.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!
Soiled Meat
Maybe post it here after the current competition but before the next one? The thread could do with way more public critique.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Rose Wreck posted:

Where would I post a Thunderdome entry rewrite? That's done, but it's too long to drop into the critique thread.

I don't know I should post it since it's a self-set goal. I've still got three other things to finish before I've hit all the marks anyway.

I believe in the past people have been encouraged to post a new thread entirely. If you want dedicated critique, that's the way to get it.

But I do agree Thunderdome could use some more visible critique. I know it's hard for the judges to read/critique so many pieces in a relatively short amount of time, so maybe we could do some crowd-based critique? IDK how this would work without gumming up the thread, but it's a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Sitting Here posted:

I believe in the past people have been encouraged to post a new thread entirely. If you want dedicated critique, that's the way to get it.

But I do agree Thunderdome could use some more visible critique. I know it's hard for the judges to read/critique so many pieces in a relatively short amount of time, so maybe we could do some crowd-based critique? IDK how this would work without gumming up the thread, but it's a thought.

That's a good point, Sitting Here.

We wouldn't want to debase ourselves in this bastion of quality posting.