Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Calling dibs on “Bombers” . What is the word limit this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Whoee! This was fun, altough i fear i may have attempted a fligth beyond my feathers. Better to die trying then die untried.

The last bombardment.
(994 words)
Anthony had been looking forward to this. The 3rd Bombardment Division was to deliver the final aerial assault on Berlin before the Russian attack; he and the crew were going to make history once again.

Despite his piloting duties Anthony still found time to reflect. Dresden had been fun, firstly because of the flawless fire tornado that they managed to pull off. Secondly because he had taken a huge risk and descended low to observe the man-made inferno up close. Oh and the strafing that Joe did on those refugees was just glorious. In particular he remembered a glimpse of a crying policeman standing shivering beside his car before Scplosh! Bullets tore him apart.

Too bad not everyone gets to see stuff like that. Before civilians had seen the beauty of a good bombing themselves they could never understand why he loved his job so much. Like Mr Ashwood, that old British singer who had invited him for drinks at the Bristol. I told him the truth in full of what we did. How could I know that he was such a drat softie? Goddamn it he looked at me like I was a monster, like I’m the bad guy and not those Krauts that blitzed the city he lived in. loving civvies!

Hours later as the formation passed by the Zeelow Height’s and into the suburbs flak fire could be seen coming from various directions. It could barely scratch them but it would still prevent descending for a closer look. Anthony was dismayed by this and thought.
I wish to bomb at ground level.
To fight at zero feet.

OuuieOuuie… the sirens on the wall screamed to the heavens. Eva Schmidt could never get used to that horrible sound and nearly dropped her small shopping net. Everywhere a panic gripped the people trying to navigate through the endless grey ruins. Eva and everyone else around her, mostly women and foreign workers started to run.

With her feet pounding like drumsticks Eva propelled herself forward, she had to find some kind of shelter quickly or there would be no room. She and thousands more headed for the nearby U-Bahn station . Eva was quickly trapped by the desperate crowd. To stop or even to change direction would mean certain death.
In the corner of her eye she saw what looked like Mrs Christina Fischer kicking an emaciated and disheveled man lying in a fetal position clutching a tiny shopping net. Given the constant push from behind and Mrs Fischer robust physique there was neither time nor need to stop and help; all Eva could do was to follow the human river down the street.

At last the U-Bahn station entrance came into view, as always the old men keeping guard were completely overwhelmed. Descending like in a waterfall down the concrete steps she hears the first distant booms of detonating bombs filling the air. Eva sees a pale little girl a few feet below leaning against the wall crying” Mama, Wohin bist du”. Unnoticed by the crowd the Girl is dragged along a man’s coat, and disappears beneath countless running feet. Consumed by fear Eva hardly notices as her flat sensible shoes bury into something soft and wet.
A thought appeared to her as she found her place among the tightly packed Berliners taking refuge in the tunnels.

I wish bombers had to at ground level and see the carnage up close.
That they had to fight at zero feet.

To Anthony the ruinous city below seemed still and dead like the grave. There appeared not to be a single undamaged building left . Yet the Germans held on somehow surviving one deadly shower after the other. But it must be hell, I bet there are more than a few junkies down there pulling needles from their arms right now, hoping to float away forever on a dopamine cloud.

A gust of icy wind from behind told him that the bombing port had been opened; seeds of death began to spill out. Thousands had to face the bombardment in the open, heaps of debris being their only shelter. Ruins began to fall on ruins as the ground was hammered from above.

Way below Eva sensed the earth gently rocking every second or so. People attempted to get comfortable, some were telling that old joke about Berlin being a city of warehouses, and others were chatting as best they could about the price of milk. Well they were all trapped her now, probably until nightfall so why not make the best it she told herself.

They are getting closer someone said- no you dolt can’t you feel the shocks weakening; they are moving away from us. She paid no attention to this, her mind focused on the last time Hans had been home on leave. All Christmas he had been aloof, cold and just…disturbed. She knew of course that her boy must have seen and done horrible things in the east. Gone was the young boisterous man she had known. The man she saw board the train that cold January morning was a weary veteran, broken in some way she could not begin to fathom. In that instant she felt certain that he would never return.

Antony could see enormous columns of smoke rising from the undead city . This delighted him, it meant they must have hit something that was still worth hitting. A fuel depot perhaps.

The Germans hide wherever they can ,in bars, in dank rooms and broken railway cars. But we see you, the USAAF know where you are.
I am a Bomber man Anthony told himself, and I wish, I wish so but for one thing.

To bomb at ground level.
To fight at zero feet.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hmm I was afraid my story would be filled by various errors. Never bothered to learn the rules about how and when you should use commas. Looks like I am going to spend some time relearning poo poo that I should have mastered when I was 10.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I`m in.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Renegotiation
(1016)
Nevada,2055.
The research and production facility of AetherLogistics stretched out for miles almost the entire death valley. Located in one of the world’s most hostile environments it was the only known location where a stabile portal to hell could be supported. From there flowed the precious Aether that had made AL the most successful and powerful firm in the world. It was in everything from Sodas to skin cream ,tires, condom, clonebeef,fuel and much more. Aether in short was the impossible material that made all things possible.

The facility ran deep beneath the arid ground. At the very heart of the facility and the AetherLogistics empire was the flame room where the hell portal was located. A man and a women were talking the central control overlooking the flame room. Pierre Legarde the facility director was telling the new Security assistant Jenny Edgecliff a tall woman dressed in red-brown combat fatigues about how the Aether was produced.

This is where the magic happens facility director Pierre Duroche said to Jenny Egdecliff, his voice dripping with glee. She knew she should have read up on the science behind Aether , but when you offer 200.000 in global credits a year with full benefits no sane ex-soldier like herself could refuse. Even if did mean working in hell.

Pierre pointed eagerly to the windows to the left and right “Those large pipelike organs are our clonehatchers, from embryo to fully grown in just nine days! You can see the conveyor belt at the bottom . Those are for carrying our biweekly tribute to the flame room over here. As you can see we have just finished preparing this week’s offering.

He stepped forward to front panel and continued.” Any minute now the flame-door will open and the demons will take their tribute. It will be your job to go beyond the flame when that happens and find out what’s going on, why aren’t` our off-world staff responding and why has there been such a drop in production”.
Indeed as the director had said the bare metal room the size of basketball court in front of them was filled with little automated baby carries each carrying a freshly made clone. At the other side they could see a large blue flame flickering sometimes growing, sometimes fading but always there.

“What do they do with them” she asked, “Some say they eat their souls, all I know is that whatever they do it’ll cook your brain in seconds. We chuck the remains right back into the hatchers to recycle as many nutrients as possible” Pierre answered.

Stopping only to hand Jenny her service pistol he continued “As soon the other side starts feeding you need to be ready, when they stop you have about 20 seconds to jump through the flame. Now when you get there remember…”
The flame suddenly widened considerably, a mirror like surface appeared and out from it poured red lightning which seemed to take the forms rabid dogs. A sound like nails scratching on a blackboard filled the air. Now! The director screamed, “run like hell!”

Jenny felt like a thousand hungry mouths bit at every inch of her body as the jumped through the flame. When her vision cleared a second later she saw before her a large red-brown plane stretching beyond the horizon littered with heaps of large armor-clad bodies. To the east and the west dark mountains pierced the deep red sky.

From the great flame she followed the asphalt road the company had made long ago going towards the eastern mountain range. Normally automated tankers would be coming and going all the time but now it was dead silent. After a few miles she saw a burnt out vehicle, a small pool of yellowish liquid had gathered around it . Jenny recognized it as raw aether-juice completely unfit for consumption.
Suddenly to the left of her a large platoon of hooved, horned and heavily armored creatures appeared marching up from the plain. In there were 50 of them all carrying a long pike and a shield , they were unmistakably demons.

Jenny called out to them” Are you with Chief Moloch”. No one answered and the flock of warriors started to run towards her. Jenny did not shoot, partly because they were far too many and partly because the company had made it clear how it disliked “Violent episodes”.

Just ten feet from her they stopped. A short white man bedecked in white colonial era gear stepped out from behind them. He would not have looked out of place standing alongside Dr Livington . The man gave a salute and said with an eager voice“ Hello mein Schone, my name is Gunther”.

Jenny felt more than a little perplexed but managed to stay focused “You are a man” she asked, “I once was ” Gunther replied and stretched out a hoofed foot. “ But right now I am the new minister of Human affairs. And it is my duty to inform you that although the traitor Moloch has finally met his end” at this he pointed to the corpse laden field behind him “the revolutionary council bears no grudge towards AetherLogistics, despite the fact that several of your employees were found abetting Moloch in his struggle”.

Gunther clapped his hands and said “But there will a renegotiation of the deal Moloch made. No longer will our natural resources be traded away for a pittance just so a Babysoul-Junkie can get his fix . We demand proper payment in the form of education, technology and most importantly guns. Tell your superiors this and then maybe we will be able to craft a better future together”.

Jenny could scarcely refuse when Gunther ordered one his warriors to piggy back her to the flame-door. As Gunther yelled out ”And make it Schnell you verdammte Arschlocher “ and the muscle-bound creature started to run she wondered to herself what the future would bring.

Without a doubt these new demands would drive the price of Aether to the heavens and the world economy to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know i am over the deadline and disqualifed. But in the spirit of the thread i am reposting my story. If have cut it a little bit at the ending to fit the word limit. Hopefully the formatting looks more pleasing this time around. If it does not, well what can i say, this is the best i could do. ( The original formatting was actually intentional, to my mind it looked alrigth).

Renegotiation

(996)

Nevada,2055.

The research and production facility of AetherLogistics stretched out for miles almost the entire death valley. Located in one of the world’s most hostile environments it was the only known location where a stabile portal to hell could be supported. From there flowed the precious Aether that had made AL the most successful and powerful firm in the world. It was in everything from Sodas to skin cream ,tires, condom, clonebeef,fuel and much more. Aether in short was the impossible material that made all things possible.

The facility ran deep beneath the arid ground. At the very heart of the facility and the AetherLogistics empire was the flame room where the hell portal was located. A man and a women were talking the central control overlooking the flame room. Pierre Legarde the facility director was telling the new Security assistant Jenny Edgecliff a tall woman dressed in red-brown combat fatigues about how the Aether was produced.

This is where the magic happens facility director Pierre Duroche said to Jenny Egdecliff, his voice dripping with glee. She knew she should have read up on the science behind Aether , but when you offer 200.000 in global credits a year with full benefits no sane ex-soldier like herself could refuse. Even if did mean working in hell.

Pierre pointed eagerly to the windows to the left and right “Those large pipelike organs are our clonehatchers, from embryo to fully grown in just nine days! You can see the conveyor belt at the bottom . Those are for carrying our biweekly tribute to the flame room over here. As you can see we have just finished preparing this week’s offering.

He stepped forward to front panel and continued.” Any minute now the flame-door will open and the demons will take their tribute. It will be your job to go beyond the flame when that happens and find out what’s going on, why are’t` our off-world staff responding and why has there been such a drop in production”. Indeed as the director had said the bare metal room the size of basketball court in front of them was filled with little automated baby carries each carrying a freshly made clone. At the other side they could see a large blue flame flickering sometimes growing, sometimes fading but always there.

“What do they do with them” she asked, “Some say they eat their souls, all I know is that whatever they do it’ll cook your brain in seconds. We chuck the remains right back into the hatchers to recycle as many nutrients as possible” Pierre answered. Stopping only to hand Jenny her service pistol he continued “As soon the other side starts feeding you need to be ready, when they stop you have about 20 seconds to jump through the flame. Now when you get there remember…”
The flame suddenly widened considerably, a mirror like surface appeared and out from it poured red lightning which seemed to take the forms rabid dogs. A sound like nails scratching on a blackboard filled the air. Now! The director screamed, “run like hell!”

Jenny felt like a thousand hungry mouths bit at every inch of her body as the jumped through the flame. When her vision cleared a second later she saw before her a large red-brown plane stretching beyond the horizon littered with heaps of large armor-clad bodies. To the east and the west dark mountains pierced the deep red sky. From the great flame she followed the asphalt road the company had made long ago going towards the eastern mountain range. Normally automated tankers would be coming and going all the time but now it was dead silent. After a few miles she saw a burnt out vehicle, a small pool of yellowish liquid had gathered around it . Jenny recognized it as raw aether-juice completely unfit for consumption.

Suddenly to the left of her a large platoon of hooved, horned and heavily armored creatures appeared marching up from the plain. In there were 50 of them all carrying a long pike and a shield , they were unmistakably demons. Jenny called out to them” Are you with Chief Moloch”. No one answered and the flock of warriors started to run towards her. Jenny did not shoot, partly because they were far too many and partly because the company had made it clear how it disliked “Violent episodes”.

Just ten feet from her they stopped. A short white man bedecked in white colonial era gear stepped out from behind them. He would not have looked out of place standing alongside Dr Livington . The man gave a salute and said with an eager voice“ Hello mein Schone, my name is Gunther”.Jenny felt more than a little perplexed but managed to stay focused “You are a man” she asked, “I once was ” Gunther replied and stretched out a hoofed foot. “ But right now I am the new minister of Human affairs. And it is my duty to inform you that although the traitor Moloch has finally met his end” at this he pointed to the corpse laden field behind him “the revolutionary council bears no grudge towards AetherLogistics, despite the fact that several of your employees were found abetting Moloch in his struggle”.

Gunther clapped his hands and said “But there will a renegotiation of the deal Moloch made. No longer will our natural resources be traded away for a pittance just so a Babysoul-Junkie can get his fix . We demand proper payment in the form of education, technology and most importantly guns. Tell your superiors this and then maybe we will be able to craft a better future together”. Jenny could scarcely refuse when Gunther ordered one his warriors to piggy back her to the flame-door. As Gunther yelled out ”And make it Schnell you verdammte Arschlocher “ and the muscle-bound creature started to run she wondered to herself what the future would bring.